The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I thought that the Duchess looked very lovely but given that the weather was blustery she should have tied her hair back.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloep View Post
I actually missed this story - they sound absolutely lovely. Might have to get a pair for myself.

ROYALS
How Meghan Markle’s Jeans Are Helping to Save a Welsh Town

These are really the type of stories that give a better understanding of what kind of power the DoC and DoS wield, so to say. I would love it if they had an aid at KP keep a list of small, start-up (maybe struggling) local designers and companies who could really benefit from a royal shout-out. It doesn't necessary have to be a dress for Trooping or Ascot. Even a relatively casual event such as above can draw some much needed attention to local designers/ design hopefuls.

I love when they wear these small 'local' design houses.

LaRae

Old 06-14-2018, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

I like her look, dress, shoes, handbag and jewellery! wonder why she did not have a hat nor gloves?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I wonder why she did not have a hat nor gloves?
I think it's because the event itself didn't call for hats (I don't ever expect the younger royals to wear gloves tbh), so it comes down to personal choice. I don't know who the older lady with the Queen was, but she wore a hat whereas Samantha Cohen and Amy Pickerill along with the wife of the Lord Lieutenant who greeted them when they got off the train didn't.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Hmmm I don't think I've ever seen any of the younger BRF ladies wear gloves to an event. Most of the time they do not wear hats either.

LaRae
Old 06-14-2018, 09:28 PM
Majesty

Mehan looked very elegant on this trip. The thing I like that there are no photos of her with a price tag on her dress!

I think she should keep her hair down for inside engagements and put it up or tie it back for outdoor engagements because it becomes distracting to see her forever shifting her hair.

However, my one reservation is the dratted clutch bag! Now they really should be relegated to evening wear. Meghan looked quite uncomfortable trying to change the way she handles her bag when putting it on the floor as before was so much more easy and efficient. She just doesn't strike me as a "clutch" person.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Meghan looked lovely. The dress was simple but elegant, lovely pale color. I love the cape to it. It would have been quite boring without it.

Yes she needed her hair tied back. It sems to be an epidemic among British brides. How many times have I said the same about Kate??
Old 06-14-2018, 09:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Mehan looked very elegant on this trip. The thing I like that there are no photos of her with a price tag on her dress!

I think she should keep her hair down for inside engagements and put it up or tie it back for outdoor engagements because it becomes distracting to see her forever shifting her hair.

However, my one reservation is the dratted clutch bag! Now they really should be relegated to evening wear. Meghan looked quite uncomfortable trying to change the way she handles her bag when putting it on the floor as before was so much more easy and efficient. She just doesn't strike me as a "clutch" person.

The purse has a gold strap/chain on it...did she not use it during some of the tour today?

LaRae
Old 06-14-2018, 09:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
The purse has a gold strap/chain on it...did she not use it during some of the tour today?

LaRae
She did eventually as they walked out of Storybook and did the walkabout. Not during the performance outside in the morning.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I think it's clear to see from the below lovely closeup photo of Meghan's head (re the Queen's gift Meghan is wearing), that Meghan did do something with her hair.
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Duchess of Sussex's Pearl Earrings

She made individual parts at the top of her hair in order to tuck separate sections across on either side. Plus she has a lot of her hair falling more around her left shoulder, and a smaller portion of her hair framing the right side of her face. This is obviously on purpose to try and keep her hair in place as much as possible. I can also detect the use of a bit of hair gel to tame strands, but it's done with casual ease, not helmet-like coiffing.
I don't think so. What we are seeing in that picture is the result of some pretty stiff winds that really played with her hair. When Meghan stepped off the train her part was clean and even, it became tousled from the wind.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
It's a nice enough outfit - shame about the wrinkles - but it's the flying hair that I find most annoying today.
You and a lot of other people (including moi):

Meghan's hair blown by gust of wind on first engagement with Queen | Daily Mail Online

It looks sloppy and unprofessional to have your hair flying everywhere (or having your hands in your hair constantly).
Old 06-15-2018, 10:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Meghan looked lovely. The dress was simple but elegant, lovely pale color. I love the cape to it. It would have been quite boring without it.

Yes she needed her hair tied back. It sems to be an epidemic among British brides. How many times have I said the same about Kate??
I agree the dress was stunning and she looked fabulous! I have to find a sewing pattern similar to that dress to make me one.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Courtier

I have to admit a part of me is glad to see complaints about her hair again.
I remember seeing some of the comments about her garden party look, how she finally looked like a "proper" royal with her "tidy" hair and stockings. While I really liked her garden party look, I just thought, I can't wait until we see her in a messy bun again. I just really dislike the idea that she didn't look like a proper royal before, as if all royal women have to embrace a certain style or look. No messy bun yesterday but I will take satification in the fact that she didn't feel compelled to wear a hat or updo. That tells me that her style choices are still based on what she likes or prefers and I will always champion that above else.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:21 PM
Heir Apparent

(..) I think the cape helps her figure, adds some width, and the longer hem length is flattering to her legs. The height of the heels seems ridiculous, yes I know she is not the only one, but halving the heel would help the look and be a good step in the right direction, pun intended for the health of women’s feet.
I don’t really care what she does to her hair just stop the hair touching. Other royal women have had to learn, I assume she will in time.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:39 PM
Serene Highness

Well lets be honest, other royal women have worn very "controlled" hairstyles until Kate and Meghan came on the scene. Kate has been wearing her hair in a more controlled way at formal events and left it free when she is own her own. Meghan may do the same thing. It will be interesting to see what happens. Admittedly, it would drive me crazy to have my hair flying about. Autumn is the only other young woman with long hair. Zara keeps her hair fairly short as does Sara Chatto. Sarah Ferguson is the only other person who was doing some "appearances" and she could look rather wind blown on occasion.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
(..) I think the cape helps her figure, adds some width, and the longer hem length is flattering to her legs. The height of the heels seems ridiculous, yes I know she is not the only one, but halving the heel would help the look and be a good step in the right direction, pun intended for the health of women’s feet.
I don’t really care what she does to her hair just stop the hair touching. Other royal women have had to learn, I assume she will in time.
I didn't care for the styling and structure of the cape-like top. Something seems off about it, the more I look at it. But we may never see her wear this outfit again, and hopefully not this style of boxed-in looking cape top. It wasn't terrible though, as she carries everything off so well. Plus, the cream color, the belt, and the close-fit styling of the rest of the dress were nice. The hemline is fine. I just don't think she needs to go any lower, and she could go slightly higher. I don't care for stiletto heels personally. Since Meghan was not on an outing with Harry who is much taller than her, she might have worn a lower-heeled shoe for this outing with the Queen.
(..)

In regard to Meghan's hair and touching mannerisms, it's likely due to habit based on the fact that Meghan has always had long, thick hair. She's gotten used to touching and pushing back her hair because she has a lot of hair. I agree it can be annoying, but if that's her main personal style-related imperfection, it's truly inconsequential in the scheme of things. And why should we be annoyed in any case? There's so much more substance to who Meghan is as a person than her clothes and her hair.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

i find the little cap little annoting but overall Meghan loooks lovely,i like the purse and shoes her hair should be tied in this windy weather Imo
Old 06-15-2018, 09:02 PM
Majesty

Hair aside, (which I do think for her own comfort would have been better in a low ponytail) I do wonder whether by wearing a dress with a nun-like cape covering her shoulders and upper arms, Meghan was having a bit of an in-joke. There were all those comments about flouting some non existent protocol with her Trooping the Colour outfit!
Old 06-16-2018, 12:04 AM
Majesty

Since it is "said to be bespoke" I doubt it. But serendipity? Absolutely. I think she wore the capelet just for the extra warmth but she removed it when they stopped for lunch.

http://www.meghansfashion.com/upload...2/vid_orig.png
Old 06-16-2018, 12:55 AM
Courtier

I loved the dress and capelet.
Meghan seemed happy and the Queen is the ultimate mentor!

Meghan's hair was a mess and I think she will review it as such.
Options for control in the wind could be a plait, pony tail, bun or a partial up do.
I think a loose plait would have been lovely.

Short hair could look really smart and stylish for Meghan.

Closed Thread