The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2018 - June 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s an awful lot of money for an awful dress. I think she could find a similar one for $80

It certainly looked a size too big. The wristbands were slipping over her hands. However, it looks like the guys took a "shortcut" through the cemetery which didn't help matters.

Harry will have to learn about footpaths for high heels and not standing on the hem or mini train of a long gown. Ah, the joys of marriage! :D

I remember Prince Carl Philip stepping on Victoria's hem when walking up the stairs behind her. There are pitfalls everywhere.

That dress is much too big for her and the cut and style are so unflattering, the worst I've seen her wear.

Oh dear, it seems it is supposed to have the hands covered by an unbuttoned cuff.

https://whatmeghanwore.net/

I cannot help but wish she had chosen the tea length option.

Eh, to each their own, I think the Jamaica dress was too big as well. The reason this looks worse, is because it was designed to blouse and hang. Look at the model wearing it. The design itself is already bloused/baggy and oversized, and then it being ill tailored made it look worse. The design for Jamaica only looks more tailored, because the top is more structured.

I am sorry Meghan but this dress is a fail. How did Harry agree to her wearing it.? Meghan is going to make some mistakes in her role as Duchess but I never would have thought it would be with her dress sense.

Last edited:
Well, all new royals, literally all of them, struggle the first few months/year with finding the right style for themselves. Even ones more established in a professional career as Meghan.

I am hoping by the end of the year, she will have gotten a feel for what works and doesn't work in her role, learn which voices to tune in and what ones to tune out and really start utilizing the tailors that the royal family has access to. I think she should really, really invest in a UK based stylist or dresser, at least for the first year to help her get situated. I suspect she is still leaning heavily on Jessica who frankly is of dubious taste with her fashion recommendations with clients IMO.

She is a fast learner. I think (hope) this sort of dress is an anomaly. I really hope what we saw with the Queen in Chester (minus the hair being down and windblown) is a harbinger of royal fashion to come.

I think you are right Zaira. A stylist at least for the first year would be a big help for her.

I dont have a stylist and even I know not to leave the house in that. This is Fergie territory. Even the York girls at the 2011 wedding are looking at her like [emoji44]

I would think that Meghan feels a certain freedom in her new life vs. her acting career in that it isn’t all about appearance. Especially in her private life. I don’t claim to know what she’s thinking but I have to believe she selected and wanted to wear the dress and that makes it okay with me. I don’t mind that it’s not perfectly fitted, I think there is way too much emphasis on women ‘having’ to wear clothing that flatters them. And if Harry told her not to wear something that she really liked and felt comfortable in (Unless of course it was just inappropriate) then I would be disappointed in him.

I know this is a fashion thread and I’m not saying anyone eles’s opinions are wrong, I just actually like the dress and appreciate Meghan’s expression of individuality in choosing it.

it is slightly better in momenent, but still oversized. The dress wears her, she does not wear it.
You are absolutely correct! She is lost on it and that thing on her head needs binning. It did not suit her. It did not flatter her and a white thingamebob will never look good in her head.
Eh, I don’t see why she’d feel the need to change from her pared down style. There is plenty to be said about clean abd simple lines. Countess Spencer is always chic and usually sticks to clean and simple.

There's an informal poll over on twitter by one of the Meghan watchers...yes or not to the dress yesterday ..when I voted over an hour ago it was almost 400 to less than 100....the NO's are well ahead.

LaRae

That thing on her head! It's truly, truly awful. Honestly, a £4,000 dress paired with a £40 'hat' from Marks and Sparks! Let's hope it's the last we ever see of that thing.

YES, it’s removable:clap:. I hate the straitjacket cape and am thrilled we’ll have a great dress underneath for a future sighting.

Yes, yes, ITA. With the cape-top removed (I didn't realize it was removeable), I really love Meghan's Cheshire look. While the cape-top is okay, it just seems too constricting, and almost like a reaction by Meghan to the truly unfair and ridiculous TofC critiques of her gorgeous pink Carolina Herrera outfit. As far as the cream dress for Cheshire, there is a similar Givenchy runway look with a longer, flowing skirt in a print two-tone color.

Regarding the dress Meghan wore to the private wedding of Diana's neice yesterday, maybe the less said the better. :ohmy: The bright blue and white flower print is lovely, but the styling does not suit Meghan at all! She comes off looking messy rather than laid-back casual. The white fascinator adds nothing whatsoever to her unkempt hairstyle. I can understand not wanting to upstage the bride, but the same dress with a more fitted styling at the waist and a more sophisticated neckline would look ten times better. Also neater hair with better headgear. Aside from the pretty summery color, this look is surprisingly a complete miss for Meghan. And yes, it is not a public occasion, but all eyes are on Meghan and will continue to be for some time.

I really hope that Meghan will have a chance to settle in a bit more and relax without all of the OTT media criticism. I wish she can stay in her own bubble and really think through her choices. Perhaps it's a bit daunting with her getting a lot of advice from different quarters and also hearing inklings of unwarranted criticisms. Please don't lose yourself in all the hubbub Meghan. Be yourself and retain your sophisticated edge!

^^ I think Tom & Lorenzo are trying to be kind. I have to disagree with most of their review. There were plenty of directions Meghan could have gone in if she wanted to go understated in an unstructured look. Some of the ideas posted by others earlier in this thread would have worked so much better and in keeping with Meghan's laid-back, no frills aesthetic. While the blue & white colors are fresh, summery and pretty, the voluminous styling of the entire top (including sleeves, waist and neckline are a huge NO; the white fascinator hat with unkempt hair is also a NO. I didn't even see the shoes at first. Oh NO!). :shock:

For this private summer wedding, Meghan seems to have forgotten her number 1 fashion tip: Choose looks that work for your body! But sure, we all make mistakes, and these are early days yet. I actually can't believe some of the uber-love comments on one Meghan fashion site regarding this look. :ermm: It just doesn't work well for Meghan, based on what we know about her and have seen her rocking in terms of her casual, yet polished and sophisticated style aesthetic. I suppose this look happened due to a combination of factors (no stylist help or wrong advice; a sudden change in plans to attend this wedding; trying to fit in with the British country wedding look and failing; some over-reaction to past media critiques, perhaps).

I am definitely looking for a Royal Ascot 'palate cleanser' from Meghan! I have faith in her. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that Meghan feels a certain freedom in her new life vs. her acting career in that it isn’t all about appearance. Especially in her private life. I don’t claim to know what she’s thinking but I have to believe she selected and wanted to wear the dress and that makes it okay with me. I don’t mind that it’s not perfectly fitted, I think there is way too much emphasis on women ‘having’ to wear clothing that flatters them. And if Harry told her not to wear something that she really liked and felt comfortable in (Unless of course it was just inappropriate) then I would be disappointed in him.

I know this is a fashion thread and I’m not saying anyone eles’s opinions are wrong, I just actually like the dress and appreciate Meghan’s expression of individuality in choosing it.

Well said, Lea! ❤️ I agree! The more I look at the dress the more I like it, and the more I think it must be scrumptious to wear. :flowers: Meghan looks fine in the dress (it's the HAT that's the problem ?).

I agree with most all of what they said, emphasizing that we would all have had a very different impression of the dress (imo) had she done a classy wide brimmed hat and had her hair semi-down. The HAT really threw the whole proportion off and in this particular case, with her hair up accentuates the dress' lack of shoulder architecture. ;)

Last edited:
I don't see what one thing has to with the other, unless you're applying it to every member of the royal family? Meghan isn't pretending to be Mother Teresa.

Meghan indeed isn't pretending to be Mother Teresa (very few people are) but she was pretending to care a lot about the poor; and yes, I do have a hard time with most celebrities using the poor to promote their own image. I do understand that it might bring in money for those organizations when a (semi-)famous person promotes their project but sometimes the contrast is quite extreme.

To me there is a big difference for what occasions people do pay that much. For a state banquet or other important occasion when you are representing the state I understand that the head of state and/or his spouse spend more on clothes and that extends to a certain extend to other members of the family. However, spending this much for an ugly dress for attending the wedding of a cousin of your husband (and not just one time but her expenses on clothing seem to be high even compared to many other royals); that's a different category - but again, she is free to do as she pleases and I still believe she cares about some issues but not as much about others (and yes, it is hard to do it right; so I don't envy her).

Hopefully the bun is neat enough for you guys.

Love what I'm seeing so far!

LaRae

If a girl is going to repeat a designer you can hardly go wrong with Givenchy and Treacy ....

LaRae

Ok just saw the outfit ..LOVE ...this helps erase last weekend. Just love this look.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Black and white combo. She looks stunning from what we could see in the carriage & that Phillip Tracy hat is just beautiful.

White, and black on the hat, or is it very dark blue? Oh, I like that hat, very smart!

Love the hat. BTW, I hope Meghan at some point wears a blusher hat. I think she'd look fab in it.

:previous: Oh blusher hat PLEASE.

I can see some people will complain her colour choice (AGAIN)...... (Probably I am the minority here) not a fans of her hat, it's a nice one but personally I just don't like it (it would be more accurate to say I don't like that model/design from Phillip Tracy, Priyanka Chopra wore similar hat to Sussexes wedding which I don't like at all too). BTW that transparent material on the edge is interesting. Can't wait to see her whole outfit.

Last edited:
The duchess looks stunning at her Royal Ascot debut!

Ok just saw the outfit ..LOVE ...this helps erase last weekend. Just love this look.

LaRae

Yes, I LOVE the skirt of her dress - I feel it really does it & her more justice than a sheath cut would have. Love the belt and bag too. I am a happy girl. :flowers: haha She really had to completely nail this for me to erase the atrocity of Saturday and she delivered. haha :lol:

It's got a slightly vintage feel to it...classic but very much today. I love it.

LaRae

:previous: Yes vintage feel. Love her dress especially the skirt.

Me too! The skirt is just beautiful, the hat gorgeous. Meghan, your blue and white bathrobe is forgiven. Keep this style up, girl!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom