The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2018 - June 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
feel the need to change

In my experience 'newly-weds' [of both sexes] OFTEN change their style under the influence of one another's friends/family/acquaintance or spouse..

It would be FAR from unusual..

(..)

The print is horrid, looks like wallpaper. And the fit is a giant bathrobe.

Hopefully people will remember this look when they want Meghan to try new prints and styles :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
A dressing gown with a loofah on her head. Not a fan of her style but this is one of her worse looks.

Last edited:
No...just no. It doesn't look like her style at all. Badly fitted and too big in size. She should stick to the minimilist streamline clothing she prefers. I hope that she never wears this dress again.

Yeah. I think the biggest problem is the dress wears her. It’s too big. Doesn’t fit right.

Even her fascinator was a mess. She hasn’t worn many headpieces, but this was easily the worst.

I like the summery colors though.

As mentioned previously - this was just really bad.

I have never seen Meghan in anything similar in any shape of form/ heck - not even in a similar style - I legit didn't even recognise her at first. I simply cannot imagine that she really picked this mess out herself. I think because she has so very little experience when it comes to your regular British, country, summer wedding that she had her aid take charge in this.

OR them attending was a very last minute decision and she had to do with what she had in her new and not very extensive wardrobe - the mess of her fascinator and hair could also indicate that. I reckon securing that fascinator by herself made a complete mess of her hair.

The Cambridges weren't in attendance either - so I am really wondering that maybe the Sussexes were to have missed this occasion too but their planes changed...

Well, it was a small, private, family event, so at least she can learn a bit from this atrocity and get the wedding guest look faux pas out of her system. haha

Last edited:
Actually this dress is completely Meghan's style. The print itself is bold. It's ill fitted, she favors larger more "relaxed" clothing on her frame. The dress she wore to the wedding in Jamaica was similar in fit and also a bold pattern.

Meghan's more popular stylings seem to occur when she's actually styled for an event. When it's just herself (I'm guessing), she doesn't seem to like getting her clothing tailored.

Personally I quite like this dress, and if it fit better it would have been a smash. Unfortunately it's way too big and looks as though it's wearing her, rather than Meghan wearing it.

(..)

Meghan can branch out a bit without confining herself to very simple lines.
It's just that this particular look is a miss!

(...)

Actually this dress is completely Meghan's style. The print itself is bold. It's ill fitted, she favors larger more "relaxed" clothing on her frame. The dress she wore to the wedding in Jamaica was similar in fit and also a bold pattern.

Meghan's more popular stylings seem to occur when she's actually styled for an event. When it's just herself (I'm guessing), she doesn't seem to like getting her clothing tailored.

Personally I quite like this dress, and if it fit better it would have been a smash. Unfortunately it's way too big and looks as though it's wearing her, rather than Meghan wearing it.

No, the dress she wore in Jamaica wasn't a similar fit. The only thing the two dresses have in common is that they were both patterns. The Erdem dress was much more appealing in every way. This dress doesn't do anything for Meghan at all and definitely doesn't seem like her style. Oh well..lets hope she delivers a stylish look in the next few days, or at least a palate cleanser. :lol:

The similarities between this and the dress she wore to Inskip wedding begins and ends at it being a maxi and have prints. The fit and skirt is completely different. The Erdem dress was fitted at the top and comes out at the skirt. This is completely loose and intended so by design if you look at it on the model. Meghan doesn’t wear her clothing tailored to a point where it look painted on her, but I dare anyone to find much pictures of her in this type of froufrou even when she had a social media presence.

The Erdem dress she wore in Jamaica was perfect. Too dark for this wedding, but a great dress nevertheless. This dress was just too much, though seeing it fitted at the top, I know my biggest problems with it are the bottom half and sleeves.

No to the fascinator. No to the shoes. No to the dress.

I hate the dress.

It's too frilly, too voluminous in the sleeves, bodice, waist, and skirt. The only thing that would make it fashionable would be to remove the ruffled hem and use that as a scarf.

Throw the whole dress away.

I'm so mad at this dress, lol.

ETA: This dress and the Inskip wedding dress are only similar in skirt length and pattern. The rest? NO. The Inskip dress didn't swallow her whole. Gisele couldn't get away with this dress unless it was 3 sizes too small! I get it that Meghan sometimes likes relaxed shapes and all, but that dress just wasn't it. Wow.

The dress the Duchess of Sussex wore yesterday is by Oscar de la Renta:

** Dress ** modaoperandi.com: Oscar de la Renta Long Sleeve Cocktail Dress **

She should have worn the red/white one. Or maybe the blue one 3 sizes too small?

Meghan is too small for a dress like this. And I was right - Giselle could pull this off ONLY if the dress was 3 sizes too small.

So I LOVE this dress. But not on Meghan. This dress needs a very, very, very good fit to work and probably someone who isn't as petite as Meghan is. (..)

The skirt area is fine and flows well, but the chest and waist? A mess. An absolute mess. It looks 2 or maybe 3 sizes too big in the upper body. This doesn't even look like Meghan's style at all. Where in lord's name did this come from? de la Renta has SO many lovely pieces that are more structured and better for Meghan's frame.

I do, however, LOVE her in baby blue. PLEASE wear baby blue again.

I am almost speechless ...almost.

Ok this is the worst look she has attempted to date. If she was going for BoHo she missed the mark by a mile. The dress looks like she's drowning in it. 2 to 4 sizes smaller and she might of gotten away with it. The fascinator by itself isn't bad...but combined with the dress it just another level of 'why' ..why on earth do you think this looks good on you (or any woman)????

Someone well versed in English style summer wedding/event clothing needs to take her in hand. I don't think I can take another one of these outfits!

Not to be all negative..I do like the blue/white color.

LaRae

What happened? Not only the 'dress' is far too big and shapeless, the hair looks a mess. Easily worst look since Meghan appeared on the royal scene.

The dress is just the wrong one for Meghan. Meghan can wear prints, but I think she looks better in prints with a rich background color - like the green dress from April or the black dress from the Inskip wedding. And when the patterned dresses FIT!

This dress is so wrong and TOO BIG that you cannot even tell it has a hi-lo hem.

Like I said - Gisele Bundchen could wear this - but only if it was too small on her, if that was Meghan's size Meghan was wearing.

If you notice in the pics from the website for the dress (I love Moda Operandi btw), the dress' waist is dropped on the model. Meaning, it's not drooping. I wonder if Meghan tried that, but the dress was just too long for her, so they had to pull it back up?

I had a dress like this, btw - but the bodice is a true wrap style so I get to keep my waist... and still it was just too overwhelming for my frame and I felt swallowed up in it.

Boho dresses can be tailored too - and still keep their flowiness. This dress would need the waist raised and trimmed away to cut down on the volume. The neckline would need to be widened more in a V shape to offset all of that fabric. And the sleeves would need to be trimmed WAY down with only a slight blouson effect at the cuffs.

I still want her to throw the whole dress away. Although if she got a tailor to make the adjustments, maybe I'd be okay with her trying again, since the dress is so expensive.

And never wear that fascinator again.

She should have worn the red/white one. Or maybe the blue one 3 sizes too small?

Meghan is too small for a dress like this. And I was right - Giselle could pull this off ONLY if the dress was 3 sizes too small.

Yep the red/white looks more her style, much better than the blue. I don't think I would like that one on anyone, as there's nothing appealing about it at all for me.

Never mind. I see the post with the link for the dress.

Aside from the dress, I'm not a fan of fascinators, period. I'm hoping she mainly sticks to hats.

Last edited:
Easily worst look since Meghan appeared on ANY scene.

I am forced to agree.

I think Meghan does like a bohemian look every now and again - she sometimes likes a more relaxed look - but the dress just breaks all of the rules she's talked about - even for herself... if something is flowy in one place, you have to balance that with fit in other places. Loose, flowy skirt? You need a more trimmed and tailored bodice.

I think the dress was in the wrong size for her, first of all. But second, she needed it tailored, with the skirt lifted up, the waist trimmed of all excess material and the neckline changed. That actually would have helped.

But why do that for a $4k dress?

Oddly enough the dress itself I'm warming up to - except for the neckline - but not on Meghan's body. Beyonce could probably do something with that (as long as the waist was trimmed).

I think it's a good thing that her first real miss (opinions may vary) happened at a private wedding, not an official engagement.

I think the dress could be nice and comfortable hanging around the house. Only problem is, you wouldn't wear it just for hanging around the house. Personally I love the pattern and color. But, as everyone has said, way too big and loose on her.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle stun at Diana's niece's wedding | Daily Mail Online

For some reason it won't play past the add...but here's the article...the video is in the article.

LaRae

Thanks - it is helped a tiny bit by movement. Would probably be better still if she didn't have to clutch it to keep the wind from blowing her skirt open - but she's smart to do that :lol:

It's still way too big.

My question is: is the dress the wrong size for Meghan, or is the size zero too big still for Meghan? Meaning is the cut of the dress oversized? In the Moda Operandi pics, the model is wearing the size 0 - and she looks bigger than Meghan...

I think the only way Meghan could have made it look better is to have it tailored way down.

it is slightly better in momenent, but still oversized. The dress wears her, she does not wear it.

Posts about the Duchess of Cambridge and Lady Kitty have been removed as off-topic.

(...) Maybe she bought this one still with the help of her friend Jessica who is now back in Canada and thought it would be okay for this wedding, making sure she wouldn't upstage the bride. I am old enough to remember Diana when she was a newly-wed princess and the first dresses she bought were terrible! But then some editors of Vogue helped her out with advice and her "fashion career" started.

I seem to recall that Sara Parker-Bowles, Camilla's daughter-in-law looked for once chic at the wedding, as a former fashion editor she could help maybe. Or Camilla herself, who has such a perfect style for her own age when on public outings. This dress, honestly, looked like something Camilla would wear when she has a private weekend with her kids in her own home. Or Meghan could ask Her Majesty's in-home designer Angela Kelly to help her, for she is marvellous in dressing the queen.
With Catherine it's like with those good friends who have kids - suddenly they don't have time anymore to go shopping with you (or start to).
Plus we know now that the "reports" about Harry is Meghan's secret fashion advisor are the usual nonsense the media makes up, because if so, how could he let her out of their cottage wearing this bathrobe?

It probably was payed for, so she wanted to give it a try and now maybe a seamstress will use the fabric to sew curtains for the babybed of the first Sussex-baby...
But all those efforts to create her own style and the suiting wardrobe take time. (..)

Thanks - it is helped a tiny bit by movement. Would probably be better still if she didn't have to clutch it to keep the wind from blowing her skirt open - but she's smart to do that :lol:

It's still way too big.

My question is: is the dress the wrong size for Meghan, or is the size zero too big still for Meghan? Meaning is the cut of the dress oversized? In the Moda Operandi pics, the model is wearing the size 0 - and she looks bigger than Meghan...

I think the only way Meghan could have made it look better is to have it tailored way down.

Oh yes it's still an unfortunate choice. It just looks better on the move is all.

The thing that gets me is the woman has access to royal tailors. She can get anything altered either by the designer or the tailors. Why doesn't she do it?

I really do not understand how she can get something like this so wrong.

LaRae

Hey Fashion Maven...did you see Megan wearing the Givenchy dress without the cape on it? Changes the whole look IMO. Love it.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom