The Duchess of Cornwall's Fashion and Style Part 5: November 2012 - July 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you might have hit on another cultural difference here. I suspect Camilla's teeth don't appeal to our US friends, either. Here the US obsession (yes, I consider it is an obsession) with straight, white, teeth is considered to be a bit of a joke. You won't see a prominent US actor or television presenter with other than perfect, white, teeth, but it's not unusual to see a British actor of considerable renown with teeth in a natural colour, and some if them even sport quite uneven choppers. Different attitudes.

I'd also add, it does not make people from the US correct in our assessment; it does make us firm when we express our opinions. Another cultural tic of ours. ;) And thanks to the rest of you who understand our peculiarities.

We have and use toothbrushes and have white teeth because we have them cleaned by our dentist's 2 times a year and take good care of them, and mostly, do not smoke. We wear undergarments that support us and try and look presentable. Cut the nonsense, I am 71. Different culture, fine, but don't ask us to Oh and Ah over a middle age woman who looks like..... I shan't use words, will be deleted. You like the look fine. We like teeth and structure to be nice. She has huge sums of money at her disposal and I, suspect, uses a lot of that. So, if we cannot say yea to her poorly selected clothes and fit, which cost a fortune, it may be a criticism of the designers and dressers.

We have and use toothbrushes and have white teeth because we have them cleaned by our dentist's 2 times a year and take good care of them, and mostly, do not smoke. We wear undergarments that support us and try and look presentable. Cut the nonsense, I am 71. Different culture, fine, but don't ask us to Oh and Ah over a middle age woman who looks like..... I shan't use words, will be deleted. You like the look fine. We like teeth and structure to be nice. She has huge sums of money at her disposal and I, suspect, uses a lot of that. So, if we cannot say yea to her poorly selected clothes and fit, which cost a fortune, it may be a criticism of the designers and dressers.

No one's asking you to ooh and aah over her. We're merely saying that some of her clothing issues can be seen as the result of a cultural difference, some of it as the result of her not caring about clothes, and some of it as the result of her not necessarily knowing better.

There is a difference between not oohing and aahing and coming on just to criticize her - especially when it's just to criticize her for the same basic fashion choices over and over again.

Sorry, this site is dedicated to how "well she looks". Those of us who say sometimes yes and sometimes no, are excoriated for not appreciating that she knows nothing about fashion. By the way, that is okay. It is just the ho and ha about how she looks. I loved her first outfit, it fit well, looked very nice, where are the people who dressed her for that. And she doesn't shop at Wal-Mart for the rest of the stuff. So a great fortune is being expended for crap.

When one is well-endowed, shall we say, on the top, standing up straight is very, very difficult. I'm speaking from experience, and therefore, can sympathize with Her Highness. It's not easy to carry all that weight around, so please, cut the woman some slack. I'm sure she tries the best that she can. It's not easy to find proper undergarments for those of us who are top heavy.

Dear, I am 50 and wear a DD, and ride jumping horses every single day. I assure you I am well versed in the problem and solution! The less wobble/bounce/flop factor the better is my personal experience, both comfort, and fashion wise. And frankly, I'd rather see/have them hoisted up under the clavicle than flopping around the waist. Which, to return to the topic at hand, is what spoils Camilla's look in just about every outfit. QEII has the problem in recent years to a certain degree, bosom wise, but with impeccable posture and gravitas (not gravity!), which allows one to pull off a number of choices not possible avec le slouch grande.

Last edited:
Dear, I am 50 and wear a DD, and ride jumping horses every single day. I assure you I am well versed in the problem and solution! The less wobble/bounce/flop factor the better is my personal experience, both comfort, and fashion wise. And frankly, I'd rather see/have them hoisted up under the clavicle than flopping around the waist. Which, to return to the topic at hand, is what spoils Camilla's look in just about every outfit. QEII has the problem in recent years to a certain degree, bosom wise, but with impeccable posture and gravitas (not gravity!), which allows one to pull off a number of choices not possible avec le slouch grande.

Bravo. You are right. I have never been that endowed, but still run at my age and know what keep them in and how I look better and am able to do more. Thank you for your common sense approach.

It is clear that to some people discussing another woman's body without knowing the issues affecting that person is deemed ok in some cultures.

To quote my grandmother - 'a lady never ever mentions their unmentionables or discusses those of another.'

Please, this is a thread about fashion. If I wanted to discuss HRH's intellect or current events, I'd go (and do go) to the appropriate threads and add my two cents there.

Also, small point regarding the #, it's become an online "thing", but I'll stop using it if it offends so many.

Posts about the Duchess of Cornwall's breasts and the posting style of other members have been deleted as off-topic, besides that this is not the place to discuss cultural differences, so please get back to the topic of this thread. Further off-topic posts will be deleted without notice!

Sorry, this site is dedicated to how "well she looks". Those of us who say sometimes yes and sometimes no, are excoriated for not appreciating that she knows nothing about fashion. By the way, that is okay. It is just the ho and ha about how she looks. I loved her first outfit, it fit well, looked very nice, where are the people who dressed her for that. And she doesn't shop at Wal-Mart for the rest of the stuff. So a great fortune is being expended for crap.

Not all of her clothes are tailored. It has been reported several times that she buys off the rack or from catalogs.

Someone to emulate?

Here's a picture of a lovely and suitably attired 65-year old lady whose style seems quite similar to that of the Duchess of Cornwall:

http://tinyurl.com/kblxxcw

I'm afraid that were it perceived that the Duchess was emulating the style of the late Queen Mother, the press would have a field day, and all the good work done 'rehabilitating' the Duchess' image would be brought to nothing. The British Public would recognise it instantly if the Duchess began to wear feathery brimless hats, pastels & and floaty chiffon duster coats, and {i repeat} they wouldn't like it !

I'm afraid that were it perceived that the Duchess was emulating the style of the late Queen Mother, the press would have a field day, and all the good work done 'rehabilitating' the Duchess' image would be brought to nothing. The British Public would recognise it instantly if the Duchess began to wear feathery brimless hats, pastels & and floaty chiffon duster coats, and {i repeat} they wouldn't like it !

Wyevale- I think Camilla's style is rather reminiscent of the late QM. At some point I read (no idea where) that it was Charles' idea so that people would associate her with the QM and feel more kindly toward her. Worked for me!

Sorry, the QM was frumpy and dumpy. She had one style and wore it in several hundred different colors. On the other hand she did a great deal in her early years to endear her to the nation and rightly so. I don't think Camilla fills that role.

(...) This is a fashion site. Sometimes she looks nice, most of the time she needs help. For the money spent there should be an inquiry.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the money spent there should be an inquiry.

Why? Her clothes are always clean and her outfits are smart and attractive and she is certainly as fashionable as Princess Anne, if not more so. This thread is about style as much as fashion, and Camilla has a certain style which I am sure she feels comfortable with. I doubt she has ever been a trendsetter.

I can understand people not liking a lot of her choices, but I don't think the fact she's not a fashion plate warrants an inquiry.

As fashionable as Princess Anne, this is a criteria? Come on. Anne is a hard worker, but hardly interested in fashion, nor do I think has spent the monumental sums spent on the duchess. Camilla is not a trendsetter and that is fine, but that many of these, very expensive, clothes are ill fitting, that she needs real undergarments, makes one wonder why these people are getting paid large sums, she doesn't shop at Wal-Mart. They fixed her teeth, they could buy underwear.

As fashionable as Princess Anne, this is a criteria? Come on. Anne is a hard worker, but hardly interested in fashion, nor do I think has spent the monumental sums spent on the duchess. Camilla is not a trendsetter and that is fine, but that many of these, very expensive, clothes are ill fitting, that she needs real undergarments, makes one wonder why these people are getting paid large sums, she doesn't shop at Wal-Mart. They fixed her teeth, they could buy underwear.

However she does shop and 2nd hand vintage shops as we've learned with her Paris <3 bag.

One question on a point that keeps being brought up. How do we know what the costs are of some of these outfits? TBH, I've really not paid too much attention.

But why? Who among us has the right to dictate what sort of undergarments she wears? They need to provide support and be comfortable, not contort her body and make her conform to a certain artificial standard. And do you have a source for the cost of her undergarments?

They do not support. She is not that old. I am older. She doesn't have to wear anything strange or contort her body. She, also, doesn't have to appear sagging. From what I have seen her undergarments can't cost much.

Camilla might think they support her just fine. She's the one who has to wear them, and as long as she's happy with them, I don't think its anyone else's busines. I really don't understand all this criticism of her undergarments.

Didn't iceflower inform us just yesterday to move on from the topic of Camilla's breasts?

You're quite right, she did, but it's difficult to know precisely when one has crossed the line because a person's fashion and style does start from the skin out and involves consideration of issues such as comfort and support.

Last edited:
(...) This is a fashion site. Sometimes she looks nice, most of the time she needs help. For the money spent there should be an inquiry.
Since she is not penniless in her own right and the POW is not exactly a candidate for bankruptcy, I don't see the problem. It is not as if the Government is paying for her clothes and, to be honest, I don't think she has spent enough to even raise an eyebrow of most ordinary people.

One question on a point that keeps being brought up. How do we know what the costs are of some of these outfits? TBH, I've really not paid too much attention.
There is obviously a very, very, secret society that is privy to the intricacies of every single cent Camilla spends on each and every little thing, and passes is all on to it's tiny, but very select membership!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're quite right, she did, but it's difficult to know precisely when one has crossed the line because a person's fashion and style does start from the skin out and involves consideration of issues such as comfort and support.

It's a constant weighing ;) So a couple of posts have disappeared again..

On the bright side, if there's a lot of money (as been presumed) for Camilla to work with, she could have gone the route of a Cher type. :eek:

Interesting tidbit. Cher is 67 as of May. Camilla will be 67 a year from this upcoming July. Now that's something to gnaw on. :ROFLMAO:

I never meant a government inquiry. That's silly. I mean Camilla should assess what she is paying for these things and how do then enhance her. When she goes into public, the PR want her to look chic, I guess is the word. Her age is not important, neither is her weight. Women of all sizes can look smart.

I never meant a government inquiry. That's silly. I mean Camilla should assess what she is paying for these things and how do then enhance her. When she goes into public, the PR want her to look chic, I guess is the word. Her age is not important, neither is her weight. Women of all sizes can look smart.

I know exactly what you mean and I think for the most part, Camilla puts across a pretty good image. I really thought the ones that came out from her trip to Paris were excellent (especially the outdoor ones by the Louvre).
I loved the pistachio outfit on her. Light colors and something breezy I think suit her best.

It had just hit me for some reason that Cher (or what is actually left of the original Cher) is actually a year older than Camilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom