The Duchess of Cornwall's Fashion and Style Part 4: March 2012 - November 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked Camilla's outfit today. Then, I like textiles. Looked like silk to me. Really nice, as the pattern's size was just right for her figure. My goodness, I just realized that she will be the next woman to wear "granny's chips." Makes my heart flutter.

Last edited:
The thought that came to me was of an unmade bed with a silver lame' bed-spread thrown over the mess.
Wow! That is just plain personal and nasty and not a lot to do with Camilla's Fashion and Style!
A very bold and magnificent choice to wear - the hat is fabulous and the coat is amazing. The pattern is unusual and different so it's a case if you either love it or hate it!
Camilla is definitely coming out of her "merge into the wallpaper" phase which is a very good thing. Her ensembles this weekend have been wonderful and this outfit is the pièce de résistance. I don't remember her ever wearing anything half so striking as those we have seen this weekend.

Loved the blush of her hat and the tones of her shoes.

Last edited:
Is she trying to out-do Elton John, or what?
The outfit/ pattern reminds me of a metallic giraffe!
And that hat.....:eek:

OK, when I looked at the outfit earlier today, I was close to falling over (I stayed up all night in hopes of catching some of the live coverage, only to fall over before the carriage procession :bang:), and really didn't pay as much attention to the outfit as I did this time around. I see what you mean. The shiny coat could have gone delightfully with Sir Elton's last night (then again, them literally shining and the bright lights...some people would have complained of suffering from a sudden case of photophobia :lol:). Heaven help us all, but this is definitely a miss (and your description is making :ROFLMAO:).

I like the goldish/gray combo but am not in love with the hat. The outfit looks really great with the gloves.

. . . . The outfit looks really great with the gloves.
You're right, gloves really do "finish" the outfit, as indeed they did with her pageant ensemble. Nice to see the tradition follow on for purely practical reasons. I bet she was glad she wore them on the river, poor Catherine's hands looked blue and frozen. :ohmy:

I thought Camilla looked great. Great color on her.

The gold outift is absolutely awful!

The thought that came to me was of an unmade bed with a silver lame' bed-spread thrown over the mess.
Thinking back at the lows of late 1980s interior decoration, this comparison is actually nothing but accurate IMO.
Rather frightful metallic graffiti-like patterns on bed spreads, pillows or even as upholstery were as rampant as they are on the Duchess' coat.
The coat's 'textile' has the additional disadvantage of photographing greenish-golden in artificial light and platinum-dull outside, not a fabric that lends itself to be made into a coat for a public person (nor for anyone else, coming to think of it.)

Camilla didn't pull of the jacket print too well, I thought it was a bit too much for a daytime event but nevertheless her overall looked nice.

I thought Camilla looked lovely at all three engagements over the weekend, especially the ensemble for the service o f Thanksgiving. She is one of the few people to have the personality and presence to carry of the hat that she wore. Well done, Cam.

Your comments are always amusing, and always in character!

Last edited by a moderator:
WAY over the top for a daytime event and in the cathedral to boot! The hat was equally so and just too big. Not to my liking at all...

People seem to be divided into two equal groups - those who hated the outfit, and those who loved it.
Me, I loved on TV (in movement) and hated it in pictures (still images). Nevertheless, I'm glad she wore this particular coat; it shows a newly-found confidence.

Bah the contrary would be highly surprising from you isn't it ? :flowers:

The overall reaction is that she looked great :

Queen's Diamond Jubilee: Camilla leads the way in gold as royals don their finest for Queen's Thanksgiving service | Mail Online

But all is a matter of OBJECTIVE taste after all :whistling:
Actually, if you read the posts in this thread, you will see that most of the posts around mine ie #s 132, 137, 138, 140, 141, 142, 144, 145, 146, 157, 158 and 162 all hated it. :flowers::whistling:

Last edited:
Actually, if you read the posts in this thread, you will see that most of the posts around mine ie #s 132, 137, 138, 140, 141, 142, 144, 145, 146, 158 and 162 all hated it. :flowers::whistling:
I don't the issue was with your opinion; it was how you put it. :)

These fashion threads exist to share opinions on fashion; sometimes we like what they wear, and sometimes the reaction is "what on earth was she thinking?" Nevertheless, there is no need for rudeness, regardless of what we feel towards certain royals.

Last edited:
I found Camilla's outfits for the Thames Pageant and the concert to be quite nice and elegant. But the gold coat she wore yesterday at the mass and on the balcony, was not flattering at all imo. Perhaps if it was a different print and color it would've looked better.

Some people also have zero sense of humor. Beatrixfan/Sam would have died laughing. Look, if she is going to show up looking like a lumpy potato encased in ill fitting shiny fabric, dont blame it on people noticing. And Spanx would be her friend...at the very least a better bra.

Some people also have zero sense of humor. Beatrixfan/Sam would have died laughing. Look, if she is going to show up looking like a lumpy potato encased in ill fitting shiny fabric, dont blame it on people noticing. And Spanx woulod be her friend...
Humour is unfortunately often a cover for rudeness.
I will refrain from addressing this particular issue any more.
However, let's just say I would absolutely hate your description to be used in regards to my mother, acquaintance - or frankly, any woman at all.

I found Camilla's outfits for the Thames Pageant and the concert to be quite nice and elegant. But the gold coat she wore yesterday at the mass and on the balcony, was not flattering at all imo. Perhaps if it was a different print and color it would've looked better.
I have to agree with your assessment. I liked the colour of Camilla's coat (gold was a perfect choice for the occassion), but not the pattern.
Mind you, it did look nice in movement.

She looked okay, the hat was atrocious. I don't think she has a real personal style of her own, that she can see in her own head.

I have to agree with your assessment. I liked the colour of Camilla's coat (gold was a perfect choice for the occassion), but not the pattern.
Mind you, it did look nice in movement.

Well to each is his own. To me it was a fashion mistake. Everyone makes them, including the lovely lady in my avatar. Its no big deal. If Camilla liked the outfit and thought she looked great, I can't fault her for that lol. She looked comfortable in what she wore.

Well to each is his own. To me it was a fashion mistake. Everyone makes them, including the lovely lady in my avatar. Its no big deal. If Camilla liked the outfit and thought she looked great, I can't fault her for that lol. She looked comfortable in what she wore.
Oh, I quite agree.
As I mentioned earlier, people either love or hate that outfit; I'm afraid I belong to the latter category.

That's the most important point, I think. Regardless of whether or not we loved, liked, hated, or were indifferent to the outfit she wore on Tuesday, Camila was comfortable enough with herself to wear the coat and the hat. We forget that when it comes to looking good in a piece of clothing is more than just right fit and color; it's being able to pull it off, feeling like a million dollars while walking down the street. I've seen people who were wearing the most hideous clothes exude so much confidence, that no one really cared about the attire. Being comfortable in one's own skin is so much more important than following the latest trend or trying to please every single critic.

Some people also have zero sense of humour. Beatrixfan/Sam would have died laughing. Look, if she is going to show up looking like a lumpy potato encased in ill fitting shiny fabric, don't blame it on people noticing. And Spanx would be her friend...at the very least a better bra.
Actually, I don't think there is any humour whatsoever in what you say, or indeed, how you say it. What you do is lampoon the wearer, which is a personal attack. Of all the sheer scope for ridicule over this weekend you have saved the personal for Camilla and when called on it you have resorted, once again, to personal ridicule.

When people say they don't like an outfit they may say the colour is wrong, the style is not flattering, etc. You say she looks like an unmade bed or a lumpy potato. Can you not see the difference.

What am I saying! Of course you can and that is what wrong.

Some people also have zero sense of humor. Beatrixfan/Sam would have died laughing. Look, if she is going to show up looking like a lumpy potato encased in ill fitting shiny fabric, dont blame it on people noticing. And Spanx would be her friend...at the very least a better bra.

Indeed. There's nothing wrong with anything the Duchess wears in design. But when you put together an outfit, it has to go from top to toe including the underwear. IMO, HRH dresses well for her age but it's her support garments (what a lovely old phrase) that let her down sometimes and ruin the way the fabric lays and hangs. Having said all that, I won't hear a word said against any of the Duchess' hats. Ridiculous - yes. Mad - yes. Huge - yes. But if she didn't wear them, it simply wouldn't be Camilla.

Love the blue skirt suit.
Both the colour and style suit Camilla a lot.
She appears to be wearing a brooch of some sort, but I can't recognise it from the pictures available. Hopefully, there'll be a close up.

Actually, if you read the posts in this thread, you will see that most of the posts around mine ie #s 132, 137, 138, 140, 141, 142, 144, 145, 146, 157, 158 and 162 all hated it.

Ah ah c'mon don't play with us Dear, your deep enthusiasm for Camilla, to say the least, is well known over there. Don't try to hide a nasty attack behind some fashion consideration. :lol: :lol:

I also really like Camilla's blue suit. It fits well and is flattering and feminine. I also like the addition of the soft scarf.

I do hope that someone is able to identify the brooch she is wearing..

On the subject of Camilla's unmentionables I think it could very well be that she finds that spanx is not her friend. She's 64 and perhaps opts out to be more comfortable rather than worry about how her figure looks. The times I've worn such support garments for an extended period of time (I'm not that far off from Camilla's age), trust me, its the first thing I want to get out of when I return home. That and shoes that look good but make my feet scream obscene messages at me after an hour.

Camilla, to me, has always presented a well dressed consort. I think she is more concerned with what she is doing rather than if she's going to make the best dressed list for an event.

I am number 162...

Actually, if you read the posts in this thread, you will see that most of the posts around mine ie #s 132, 137, 138, 140, 141, 142, 144, 145, 146, 157, 158 and 162 all hated it. :flowers::whistling:

...and I didn't hate it. I just remarked that it matched the facade of BP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom