The Duchess of Cornwall's Fashion and Style Part 3: May 2011 - March 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful, well tailored coat. It is flattering and stylish with the tartan skirt. I also am not a fan of the vest as it adds nothing to the outfit and looks odd, to say the least.

cant figure out if it's the post hysterectomy, or the ban on hunting, or she doesnt get to ride much any more, but Camilla has gained a tremendous amount of weight in the last 18 months. Today's pix in Norway look like she's 8 months gone.

Yawn as usual you're spitting your venom. Try something new next time, just for once...

Last edited:
Beautiful cape and brown outfit from the other day which is my preferred look; my only quibble about the gray and plaid coat was the trim on the pockets. I thought the plaid collar was enough, and I didn't like the asymmetrical vest. But Camilla looks wonderful, and I love her pearl earrings.

Last edited:
It is indeed a Royal Tartan - Camilla is wearing the Balmoral Tartan.
That particular tartan was designed by Prince Albert (Queen Victoria's husband) back in 1850's. The overall grey look with over-checks of red and black was meant to achieve the appearance of rough granite. The Balmoral Tartan can be worn by the Queen and other members of the Royal Family - but only with the Queen's permission.

Very fitting to wear that tartan for this visit too I think. Its amazing to me when I think of how much thought and preparation are put into what is worn and the symbolism behind the fashions.

:previous:
It is more about trying to make puny efforts to preserve the royal mystique after squandering the most of it.

I love the grey coat (though as Baroness of Books pointed out, the trim on the pockets is a bit much) and the skirt. Not too crazy on the vest though. Overall, Camila looks great. The earrings are a nice touch.

I so love the Balmoral tartan!! I think both the coat and the skirt are absolutely elegant and pretty. A nice and simple grey blouse would have been much better. ;)

Love the coat, not so sure about vest and skirt....:ermm:

I think the tartan outfit is a bit heavy for spring, especially with the dark red blouse. Has anyone else noticed that Camilla is carrying the SAME PURSE wherever she goes? She had it at Fortum and Mason with the Queen and Kate, used in in Norway, and now is carrying it again in Sweden. It looks like it is a bit scuffed, besides. I think it is brown.

I put down Camilla's weight gain to her hysterectomy. Up until the she had the procedure, her figure was quite flattering.

I'm sure theres no one, moreso than Camila herself, who'd have rather retained her pre surgery figure but she is now a woman in her mid 60's and it is what it is.

However, her evening dresses are in dire need of assessment. They pronounce her waist dreadfully and instead of minimising her girth, accentuate it. This I feel, is where the Duchess is let down by those under her employ to assist her.

Also I don't believe velvet is Camilla's 'friend'.

but rather to find a well fitted bra

Agreed. And I do concern for her posture.

Last edited:
I did like the grey tartan coat and skirt, though I do think the vest was a real no-no. A classic blouse would, IMO, been much nicer.

I think the tartan outfit is a bit heavy for spring, especially with the dark red blouse. Has anyone else noticed that Camilla is carrying the SAME PURSE wherever she goes? She had it at Fortum and Mason with the Queen and Kate, used in in Norway, and now is carrying it again in Sweden. It looks like it is a bit scuffed, besides. I think it is brown.
Indeed, it's the same bag Camilla has been virtually inseparable with lately - and I'm not a big fan of it.
Still, royal ladies stick to one bag (or style of bag) for quite a while; Queen Sonja hasn't been seen without her trusted Chanel handbag for quite a while now.

Last edited:
It might be spring, but she's in Sweden, not Spain or Italy. As we saw in Bergen, the weather can still be pretty awful in that part of the world in March.

Camilla wore a blue dress with white collar and sleeves for the second day of Swedish visit while visiting British International Primary School.
She accessorised it with a bracelet and string of pearls.

That's the same "soviet school uniform" dress she wore for the visit to The Dulwich Picture Gallery on March 15, 2012 with Prince Charles and Kate.
I didn't particularly like the outfit first time but for whatever reason, I do like it now, even though she literally just copied the whole look, even choosing the same accessories - pearl necklace and the same bag. Is it just me, or the outfit actually fits better now?

Last edited:
I'm seriously planning an intervention in Camilla's Clarence House closet to BURN that dress. Frankly it's not THAT bad (and quite appropriate for a lunch) but cmon she wears it EVERY WEEKS !!! If she likes so much the cut, at least she can order one or two in different colors...

Nice to see the cape work so well yesterday in Bergen, and it being recognised on these forums. Funnily, this very cape attracted some pretty scathing comments on TRF when it was first seen in Canada a few years ago.

Since Canada was a few years ago, some Forum participants have aged by a few years. Tastes change as one, "a'hem" ages.

Camilla wore a blue dress with white collar and sleeves for the second day of Swedish visit while visiting British International Primary School.
She accessorised it with a bracelet and string of pearls.

That's the same "soviet uniform" dress she wore for the visit to The Dulwich Picture Gallery on March 15, 2012 with Prince Charles and Kate.
I didn't particularly like the outfit first time but for whatever reason, I do like it now, even though she literally just copied the whole look, even choosing the same accessories - pearl necklace and the same bag. Is it just me, or the outfit actually fits better now?

It's those black tights and black shoes that weigh the look down and give it the uniform appearance. I like navy blue and white, and I think this would have looked better with nude or cream hose and navy blue shoes. It certainly would have brighten things up!

Last edited:
It's not a bad dress, it's just that she doesn't accessorize it well. She shouldn't have worn anything black with this dress, IMO.

Those ghastly black tights again!!! ARGH!

The duchess of Cornwall does certainly look nice in the cape.

I don't like that dress still. I really do wish someone would 'accidentally' burn it or donate it to a UK equivalent of Good Will.

Their Majesties King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia welcomed Prince Charles and Camilla to Drottningholm Palace Theatre for a short performance.

- The dress
- Close up

Hopefully, there'll be better pictures soon.

Last edited:
I love that hot pink lining to her wrap, but that's all I can say (or see) about her outfit for now.

Oh, I thought it was one of my favorites, but it isn't!
Love the hot pink wrap!

Perhaps you meant the burgundy dress that Camilla has worn on several occasions.
Because of the wrap, I initially thought she was wearing that gown as well.

Last edited:
:previous:I wish since that's a gorgeous color. It looks like she's wearing a simple black gown, maybe in chiffon, with a ruffled white collar.

The wrap adds good contrast to the dark color of the gown. I'd love to see better pictures. The gown looks velvet to me.

A black two-piece I'd say, with a velvet top featuring white ruffles and a very unflattering cut... along with the un-matching cape, there are just too many muddled layers of velvet here, a fabric she should avoid anyway:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Perhaps you meant the burgundy dress that Camilla has worn on several occasions.
Because of the wrap, I initially thought she was wearing that gown as well.
Yes, that is what I thought it was at first, that was the gown I was reffering to, one of my favorites of hers, (though nothing can beat the purple Norway dress.:D;))
But alas, I was wrong!

From what I can see from Boris's link, it looks disastrous. Too bad as she was doing well for a bit... I will reserve my final decision when I am able to see more definitive pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom