The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 9: November 2018 - November 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please provide a link to the Clara design you are referring. Packham has a 'Clara' wedding dress line for Spring that references her fascination for Clara the Swallow (a trapeze artist). But I don't think any of those designs resemble very much the little we can see of what Kate wore to Charles' birthday party (except for the pink Packham dress linked below). A number of fashion commentators have suggested the dress is bespoke, but the designer is still uncertain.

Jenny Packham Bridal Spring 2018 Collection | Fashionisers
https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/bridal-spring-2018/jenny-packham

This is the only Packham dress that comes close...
https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/resort-2018/marchesa/slideshow/collection#2

Jenny Packham said it wasn't her dress--post #15 by Pranter.

Last edited:
Yes that was out days ago...JP said it's not theirs.

I saw a grey Marchesa dress on Twitter that in style looks very similar to the shoulder/upper bodice of what Kate had on in the car.

LaRae

It is lovely to see this for a third time. I'm curious as to why she wears the black one with a belt, but not the red. It does absolutely need something on it, if only just a brooch somewhere. And I think it looks best when she wears her hair up completely: Royals Recycling The Duchess of Cambridge recycled...

Leaning into the Princess vibes HARD with this one. I would have preferred it in a different color. This is too much of a wedding dress for me. However, I do appreciate the top and the sleeves.

Catherine's new gown is just too princessy for me. If it were in a deeper colour it would look better, but baby blue with sparkles is just a really bad cliche.

It's a beautiful dress, very princessy, and magical, but there's something about it that doesn't make it a favorite of mine. Perhaps the color? If it were in a pale blue, or sea green? Kate looks beautiful, and I love the fact she's wearing the RFO, jewelry is flawless, but I can't get excited about the dress. It might just be the angles of the different photos, but I don't think its as flattering as some of her other evening gowns.

It looks grey in some photos, off white in others, and now I see one where it looks very pale blue.....

I'm not overly impressed with the dress. Perhaps if it was a deeper color, the sparkles would have been highlighted better. As this reception was a winter event, to me, the dress seems too "lightweight" and "airy" for the season but that's just my taste. Perhaps if it had been made in a royal blue, it would appeal to me more.

I think the flash and lights are washing it out.

LaRae

I like the gown but it isn't a favourite.
I love Catherine's hair up with the neckline and the sparkle is very flattering.
The colour is icy grey/blue and I'd prefer a warmer tone.

I think lower heels could have three positive outcomes:
Catherine would be closer to everyone else, her posture might improve and the skirt would compete less with the pretty bodice of the dress.

I couldn't figure out what it was about this gown that I didn't like. After reading previous comments I think you may be right about the colour not being suitable. But her posture also needs working on. She stood straight and tall wearing boots today at the Christmas party at KP. She needs to stand straighter with her shoulders back to make her gowns look better. When she does she looks fabulous.

Sorry the dress makes me think Elsa in Frozen :sad:

Generally the style is pretty. It would look fantastic in a deep rich color, would take it from Disney princess to more evening duchess.

The dress is pretty, but the fabric and sparkles seem a bit too young for her and somewhat out of season.

Lovely, she looks like the Snow Queen.

Sorry the dress makes me think Elsa in Frozen :sad:

Generally the style is pretty. It would look fantastic in a deep rich color, would take it from Disney princess to more evening duchess.

Same here!! Too much Disney princess in this look.

Modern day Cinderella, too much sparkly not enough elegance.

not enough elegance.

Quite - it is a small girl's idea of 'princessy'...

Last edited:
I'm not overly impressed with the dress. Perhaps if it was a deeper color, the sparkles would have been highlighted better. As this reception was a winter event, to me, the dress seems too "lightweight" and "airy" for the season but that's just my taste. Perhaps if it had been made in a royal blue, it would appeal to me more.

I agree about the dress but if you remember she was "called-down" by press for wearing red once as the Royal code for this occasion is apparently white on ladies. Don't understand why, but I do remember something along those lines. I am trying to find those articles. I personally think a different color would have looked better, but if that was the dress code maybe a different style. JMO

I absolutely LOVE everything about this outfit! Beautiful snow princess!!

I agree about the dress but if you remember she was "called-down" by press for wearing red once as the Royal code for this occasion is apparently white on ladies. Don't understand why, but I do remember something along those lines. I am trying to find those articles. I personally think a different color would have looked better, but if that was the dress code maybe a different style. JMO

Both the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall were in white too, so Catherine probably didn't really have a choice.

I think the dresses for the Diplomatic Reception tend to be conservative and yes, usually white or a very pale color. I don't think it is the occasion for high fashion or risk taking. State Banquets offer the opportunity for more experimentation.
Kate looked lovely and appropriate-that's probably what mattered for this event.

Camilla and the Queen were also in white/off-white with sparkles, so Kate was almost in uniform with them.

I saw a video yesterday from the 1990 reception. The Queen was in sparkly white then, too, and Diana in a pink so pale it was nearly white. But Princess Margaret was in black and pink and none of the other royal women (the Kents, Gloucesters, Prince and Princess Michael and Ogilvys were all there) were in white. All that to say that white has long been her majesty’s choice for this event but it does not seem to have been the “dress code.” Then again, according to the court circular there have been far fewer royals at this reception in recent years and, like the Queen, Camilla has largely shifted to having white be her go-to gown color for white tie events, so at times where Kate is the only other royal woman it could look a little odd for her to be the only one in a color. Especially given that the royal men are all dressed nearly identically in their Garter attire.

I think like many of these so called protocol questions, we actually have zero idea of if there is a color dress code or not. For almost every single time that we have seen photos of an event, and someone has authoritatively declared that there was a color dress code, inevitably there will be at least one royal lady, usually more, who apparently either didn't get the memo, or there wasn't a memo to begin with. It seems to mostly be useful for the press to lambast one of the ladies for breaking protocol, with inevitable follow up that the Queen was displeased.

Quite - it is a small girl's idea of 'princessy'...

I actually really liked the look. I know it is 'princessy', but then, she is one. Look at the way the other royal ladies were dressed. You had a Queen, and two in waiting, and dressed as such.

Both her gowns at the last two state events (the Diplomatic Reception and the State Dinner for the visiting Dutch) were very 'princessy'; a distinct evolution from her very streamlined look at previous events. Might this just reflect her growing confidence in her role, and perhaps, an embracing of her destiny?

I can so completely see Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden in this dress.

I don't care if it was princessey ...I liked it..and thought the pale color/white was part of the look wanted by the Queen. She looks elegant in the dress. The bodice suited her particularly well and of course the order was such a nice touch.

LaRae

I do agree with the comments regarding the fairy tale elements of the dress and perhaps not being quite the elegant, streamlined gowns some of us here prefer. However, she carries off the whole look admirably. I do find the makeup a little heavy. Perfectly understandable if she was coping with tiredness from a busy day juggling duties with family matters.

I love the dress & think it suits the occasion. Her occupation is Princess of the United Kingdom & she was dressed appropriately for the job IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom