The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 6: October 2015 - April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lovely evening dress and great print and colors, great choice for the evening. Didn't really like her hairstyle, it was boring for an evening event IMO and her make up wasn't done nicely.

I just realized that she kinda reminds me of that trashy Elizabeth Hurley. Geez that The royals show was hilariously bad.
Anyway, I love floral long dresses, but the silhouette of this one is not my cup of tea. Still, good for Kate to finally go for something different.

I wish the duchess and all of her dressmakers would learn where her natural waist is. Almost every dress she wears has the waistline about an inch or two too high. She is naturally long-waisted and it is very noticeable in a dress like this.
I've been saying this for several years now...too many of her dresses are not tailored to fit her waist so they look off and the proportions are wrong.
LaRae
And finally I understand why it is that I look at Catherine wearing a waisted dress or gown and feel there is something not quite right. Now I know what it is.

I usually adore Erdem but the bottom is not my thing. And that blowout.. :cry: This is bordering on Farrah Fawcett
I don't like this dress. I find the print too much and I dislike the bottom of it.
Her dress is is a mishmash of styles and furnishing material floral patterns with shades of 'Little House on the Praire' thrown in for good measure. Yes, the hair is very, very, Jaclyn Smith on steroids (She passed Farrah after her marriage). If you are unlucky enough to be seated to her left you at least wouldn't have to make polite conversation, you're invisible after all.

If that isn't enough, she dons the ugliest shoes I have ever seen. But why would a woman such as Catherine, a rather tall and willowy woman who towers over most women, choose to add the overkill of wearing stilts that put her over 6ft tall, the ultimate Catherine the Great in her high heeled shoes at a 100 Women in Hedge Funds black tie event at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London. This is definitely the wrong event to wear them, unless you are trying to make a point.

Kate wears those Jimmy Choos all the time, so I don't see why she can't wear them to this event.

Love the floral dress by designer Erdem, but a bit of a summer dress to me...and we are almost in winter time... She shines on it, love the pattern...however I dislike those shoes with the dress

The Duchess Of Cambridge May’ve Just Worn Her Best Dress Yet

While Duchess Kate always dresses impeccably, we do sometimes wish she’d be a little braver with her looks.

All too often she opts for block colour ensembles that make her look very chic and composed – but not all that creative. Which is why the 33-year-old’s latest look is EVERYTHING.

The Duchess discarded the grey pleated Orla Kiely number that she wore to a north London event during the day and donned a stunning floral dress for a evening engagement last night – hitting a high-fashion note in the process.
Read more: https://uk.style.yahoo.com/post/132...st-worn-her-best?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Duchess of Cambridge Embraces Designer Fashion 2015 (Vogue.co.uk)

Last edited by a moderator:
The shoes work for evening and they are nearly completely covered by the dress they look fine to me. I'm sure the women at the event were wearing heels as well.

Most every woman there had heels on. Kate isn't Nicole Kidman on the red carpet trying not to make Tom Cruise not look tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

i really liked the pattern and top part of kate's dress, less so the bottom of it, although overall it was a nice appearance. i like her hair down, but it is true it covers almost all her face, and an updo is the done thing for evening events.

A miss. The pattern is so busy she's lost in it. The hair drives me crazy! Such stunning earrings and you can't see them! What was the point? :bang:

Oh dear... I tought it wasn't a hit but neither a miss and suddenly even the italian tv starts talking about the "granny's curtain" dress... Was it really so bad? I don't think so...

Oh dear... I tought it wasn't a hit but neither a miss and suddenly even the italian tv starts talking about the "granny's curtain" dress... Was it really so bad? I don't think so...

Its only been recently that I've paid much attention to what Kate wears for engagements but my first reaction for the floral gown and the somewhat "big" hair is that it was a definite flashback to the 80s. I remember well buying an evening gown that had a very similar "dust ruffle" and actually the more I think about it, the print of that dress very well could have made a very nice bedspread and curtains. :D

All in all, I think Kate can pretty much carry off whatever it is that she wears no matter what the engagement. One thing I do like and notice happening quite a bit is that Kate likes to go for a "period" look. 40s, 50s and so on. I thought the blue evening dress kind of put her into the Marilyn Monroe era with the halter top and full billowing skirt.

Its only been recently that I've paid much attention to what Kate wears for engagements but my first reaction for the floral gown and the somewhat "big" hair is that it was a definite flashback to the 80s. I remember well buying an evening gown that had a very similar "dust ruffle" and actually the more I think about it, the print of that dress very well could have made a very nice bedspread and curtains. :D

All in all, I think Kate can pretty much carry off whatever it is that she wears no matter what the engagement. One thing I do like and notice happening quite a bit is that Kate likes to go for a "period" look. 40s, 50s and so on. I thought the blue evening dress kind of put her into the Marilyn Monroe era with the halter top and full billowing skirt.

This is very true... maybe the dress is not everyone's taste, but I am glad she dared a bit.... and I've seen worse look than this one IMO:flowers:

The gown was ok ,didn't care for the ruffle and I wish the Duchess had worn her hair up to show off those beautiful earrings.

Tom and Lorenzo loved it!

Cathy Cambridge says “TO HELL WITH IT” and Goes for the Bold | Tom & Lorenzo Fabulous & Opinionated

Although they did make a little joke about the Country Music Awards 1976!

I think it's nice that she wears some trendy things- she can carry them off, and we will see her in hundreds of gowns over the next number of years. I can't remember the last time HM wore something chic in the evening, nor Anne, nor
Camilla- so I enjoy these less standard and conservative gowns.

I think that Kate looks best in solid colours or smaller prints. This dress reminded me very much of the '70s, when ruffled skirts were all the rage a la "Little House on the Prairie." The ruffle and the floral print brought me right back there. Here are my suggestions to make over the dress: do the same shape in a sold colour and make the skirt a-line all the way down. It looks like there's some nice shaping in the back of the dress, but it's hard to see because of the loud print. I actually like the hair. I think it's suited to this more 'casual' dress.:flowers:

I think the ruffle looks like an addition. Someone realised the length wasn't right (maybe with the the shoes?) so they whacked the ruffle on the bottom. I love the print and normally I'm OK with her hair but if she's growing the fringe out she needs to have more up dos.

Bravo to whoever came up with the phrase 'spaniel hair' though, that kept me laughing for ages!:lol:

We're posting articles from 'Celeb Dirty Laundry' now??

Those photos would have to be photoshopped. She looks like she's been stretched no one could be that thin don't know why they have done it

Yes, it looks like the image has been stretched. It's a really bad photo and we have seen so much better in recent days.

Yes, it looks like the image has been stretched. It's a really bad photo and we have seen so much better in recent days.

Of course. This pic is abnormal.
Like the "magic" mirrors in the Circus

I liked her gown. It was a nice different touch and her hair was very nice.

I think the dress could be shortened and worn for daytime, if Kate wants to recycle it.

I love the colour of the dress Catherine wore to the Spectre premiere, though I do agree with the poster who said that the front of the dress reminds them of a dressing gown. It's a shame because the dress in general looks lovely on Catherine and the colour suits her. I like her hair in a bun, she looks elegant in it.

I would've liked Catherine's Erdem dress if it weren't for the hem. It just makes the dress awkward and slightly matronly IMO. The print is really nice on her though.

Last edited:
I love the colour of the dress Catherine wore to the Spectre premiere, though I do agree with the poster who said that the front of the dress reminds them of a dressing gown. It's a shame because the dress in general looks lovely on Catherine and the colour suits her. I like her hair in a bun, she looks elegant in it.

I would've liked Catherine's Erdem dress if it weren't for the hem. It just makes the dress awkward and slightly matronly IMO. It's a shame because the print is really nice on her.
I've heard on other blogs that the prairie hem made the live movement of the dress a great thing. I'm assuming they are not lying.
And the blue dress was great in action (I bothered to watch that video) and the swirl of the chiffon and shiny layers was beautiful. So maybe Kate is on a live-action dressing kick for evenings. ;)

I don't love but I don't hate the Erdem dress. I'm completely intrigued by the interesting piecing of the bodice. The flounce... Eh. Yes, it does look better in motion but I read a comment, perhaps on Twitter, that day, from someone who said they would have liked the flounce better if it had had a split in it, and I tend to agree. I think it would have given it a more modern edge that's lacking with it being just a straight 24" of fabric gathered and tacked on to lengthen a knee length dress.

I actually didn't mind her hair with this dress. The only shame was that we didn't get a really great look at those heirloom earrings she was wearing. Getting a look at the back of the dress, I can understand why she wore her hair down - it was a simple, basic v-cut and there was nothing special about it at all.

The blue dress from the Bond premiere has definitely grown on me the more I look at it. I agree with the comments about the front but the rest of the dress, especially that flash of skin at the back and the little details of the sparkly buttons and the jeweled waist really lift the look.

I loved her hair with this dress - not just because it showed off the gorgeous earrings - but because it very effectively drew attention to the dress' back which was the highlight of the dress.

:previous: The skirt of both the red gown for the Chinese State Banquet and the blue from the premier were both pure romance. Their top's however, were pure dross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom