The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 5: October 2013 - October 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a huge fan of this dress. The lace sleeves are not really my cup of tea, and I'm not so keen on the extra lace on the front of the dress. I do like Catherine's hairstyle however, I'm glad she's experimented with a new one. Don't get me wrong, I love her hair down, but it's good to see something different.

Gee, if only Catherine wore nicer dresses, or had better hair, or wore more jewelry, or did her makeup better, she could have married someone important!
C'mon, kids, she's beautiful, elegant, apparently charming, and she's representing her country nicely. She doesn't have to be perfect, and she can't please everyone, and she doesn't need to please anyone but herself, and William, and to a lesser extent, the Boss. (The Queen, not George- every baby thinks his mommy is beautiful, no matter who she is.)

Catherine puts her up , people complain. She wears her here down they complain. I hope she always wear her hair how she see fit.She has beautiful stunning hair that people would kill for. I love her hair up or down , and hope whatever way she wears it,she is please with it.

Exactly!!

Also, I just cannot for the life of me see how anyone could think this dress makes her look masculine.

As for the makeup, a brighter lip would have been too garish, since she chose to go for a smoky eye for the evening.

It goes without saying that Catherine chooses clothes, accessories, and hair styles that suit her. I'm interested in discussing her choices and reading what others have to say about them. I'd be surprised if Catherine has never evaluated another woman's style choices. As long as it is done respectfully, without criticism of things she can't help, I don't see a problem.

If you don't enjoy reading others opinions, you may want to skip this and other fashion threads.

I don't like the white dress. The lace on the shoulders is fine, but the lace on the bottom just looks odd. Her hair looked lovely though.

Catherine puts her up , people complain. She wears her here down they complain. I hope she always wear her hair how she see fit.She has beautiful stunning hair that people would kill for. I love her hair up or down , and hope whatever way she wears it,she is please with it.

I agree. No matter how she wears her hair she's going to get complaints, so she might as well wear it the way she likes it.

She does not look masculine .She looks healthy and fit. She does not need to put any weight on, she is fine the way she is. We need stop criticizing women about there weight wether they are skinny or fat.Although now a days we seem to be reluctant to critique someone who is overweight which is good but is quick to trash a thin women . The Duchess looked beautiful .

Totally agree.

It's not a criticism to comment how we think she'd look (having actually seen how she looks with more weight) if she weren't so thin. It's an observation.

LaRae

I remember when there where discussion that she was too skinny to concieve and look now she has bouncing baby boy. Discussing weight IMO is a little too far.

I love the white dress with lace.. Of course I go gaga over lace.

Oh I do too especially Battenburg lace. I do have to admit though that the lace around the middle of the white dress did remind me of an apron though.

:flowers::):flowers::):flowers::)If I could I would give you a million gold stars, that is the very best comment on her hair...it's her hair, not mine, not anybody else's hair. Sometimes I think she uses her hair as a shield or security blanket so that people will not see her so much or just a way to be herself. She has had this hair long before she ever met William, she grew up with this hair, and I bet William loves her hair down. She is a beautiful woman a bit to skinny but still a beautiful woman.

Me too, I so love lace and have lace curtains in my home. My very favorite fabric to work with in sewing all kinds of things. I love the lace dress, only thing is it shows how skinny she really is....maybe there is a lot of pressure on her and that is one way of controlling her life, the weight issue it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dress is okay but the heavy eyeliner and the black accessories are too serious for such a soft lace look.
I think the lace is too heavy and open and to my mind, did not flatter her figure in any way, but agree the heavy eyeliner was too serious, in fact I would go further and say her whole makeup look was very heavy and, as another poster commented, made her look hard.

Yes a brighter lipstick would have helped. Thank you for the link to the back/side view of the hair. I still feel there are better up dos for Kate and I actually think the other views show it is not as neat a style as it should be with lots of pins showing- I think her hairdresser must be tired too.

What do others think about the shoes and clutch bag, because I think these are really poor choices.
Hmm, I was very disappointed with the her hair. If Catherine had put it up herself well, with her heavy schedule, it would have been fine. But, she took a hairdresser and that has got to be one of the most messy and unfinished looks I have seen from a 'professional'. I also think the front didn't have any 'lift' and looked very heavy around her face which accentuated the 'tired' look.

As for the accessories, well I agree they are too heavy to wear with lace.

This look does nothing for her. The dress doesn't give her shape or definition and that hairstyle... An updo is always great but that's a little too old.
In a nutshell.

I would be very surprised if she wasn't tired. I know there are people who think that a Royal Tour is a doddle but I strongly disagree. The amount of prep work required throughout a tour this long must be incredible and, add that to mixing the wardrobe, etc. I think she has done pretty well across the whole tour. Some fabulous hits, some ho hum repeats and some just plain misses. But that's what this thread is all about.

Props to both of them for being up in the wee hours for the ANZAC Dawn Parade and Service. It must have been chilly as she apperared to have bundled up with her white or cream scarf wrapped up high around her neck.

Me too, I so love lace and have lace curtains in my home. My very favorite fabric to work with in sewing all kinds of things. I love the lace dress, only thing is it shows how skinny she really is....maybe there is a lot of pressure on her and that is one way of controlling her life, the weight issue it seems.

Or she's just naturally quite slender. Her sister and mother are also quite slender, and so is her brother.

Add that to healthy eating and her known athletic lifestyle, and I'd be shocked if she WASN'T very thin.

Thrilled with the chignon, I've been holding my breath for a loose, kind of messy chignon to get her going, does a lot for her face, just wonderful. I thought she always did the same eye makeup, it always looks the same to me with heavy liner.
Love the Lela Rose dress, great lace and color though would have liked a color for shoes and bag.
I don'tsee how anyone thinks she looks tired. I'd like to look like that when I'm tired...
I agree with la Rae about the weight discussion, we saw how well she looked when she allowed herself to put on weight with her pregnancy. After PG was born, she was quoted as saying she was working on losing weight. I think she is naturally slender, just not this thin.

Last edited:
If she put on a little weight she wouldn't look so masculine, although I don't think that is the right word. She would look better with softer edges. She has no hips being so thin so sometimes that makes her shoulders look broader.

LaRae

I agree. She should also loose that watch for evening events. Not needed and adds to the masculine look.

Just got closer view at the Jenny Packham dress she wore in New Zealand.
When we first saw it, I did not like it, but now I love it!

are there any good webbsite that has her gala dresses in a gallary?

A bespoke Jenny Packham red dress for her first state banquet - surprised it wasn't by McQueen. From what i have seen the dress looks great on her - maybe not what i was expecting but as she has no orders of decorations yet a coloured evening gown is fine.

Catherine looks fantastic this evening. I've been watching on TV and the dress sparkles beautifully!

i think this look is perfect for Kate! I didn't expect red to be honest, but she looks lovely!

I agree, Marty91! Too bad she wasn't given the Queens orders.

Kate looks truly fantastic. That dress is wonderful (from what I can tell) and hair, tiara, etc. all look great!

I agree, Marty91! Too bad she wasn't given the Queens orders.

I was expecting the order because of the reports and speculations about it. Probably she doesn't deserve it (yet).

Kate looks truly fantastic. That dress is wonderful (from what I can tell) and hair, tiara, etc. all look great!
I agree. Absolutley sublime. Very elegant and "proper" but still soooo stunning! Very impressed!

Red dress on a red carpet is a no no in my books but whatever, this is the first time we can really see her wearing the Lotus Flower tiara and not just a blurry shot in a car.

It's the perfect tiara for her. Not too heavy and not too small either.

The red dress is lovely. Kate achieves just the right balance of bling coupled with the simplicity in the design of the gown. (Mind you, it would be perfect with a family order).

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

i like the hair and tiara very well done.
nothing WOW about the dress lovely color and lovely cut nothing special.
overall she looks nice.

The red dress is lovely. Kate achieves just the right balance of bling coupled with the simplicity in the design of the gown. (Mind you, it would be perfect with a family order).

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Totally agree about the fact that she got the balance right - she doesn't look overdone in terms of jewelry or anything (not that I would expect that from her!), but she does have just the right amount. I also like that the gown has an elegant, simple cut, but that the top of it is lace and a bit sparkly. It gives it just enough detail to keep it from being plain.

I would have been surprised if Kate hadn't worn a Chinese Red dress to the state banquet for the Chinese president. It has a powerful symbolic meaning in China, and sends the perfect message for a State Banquet: celebration, enthusiasm, good luck, happiness, vitality, long life, etc.

I was surprised she still doesn't have the RFO. She's performed her primary duty, i.e. producing the heir and the spare, so why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom