The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 5: October 2013 - October 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it were on both shoulders, it would have looked like a bad soap opera from the 80s.

That would have looked like "Dynasty" revisited! :eek: Joan Collins would have been calling demanding her dress back.....

Last edited:
Perfect description, Baroness! She looked lovely but not a big surprise here with the ferns.

Catherine looked very elegant last night and I agree that with just one fern on the shoulder is the best, I thought also of Dynasty and Joan Collins when someone mentioned the ferns should of been on both shoulders.........big no there! I am noticing something different about Catherine this time out.......she has more self-confidence and poise. Her behavior/actions are not so insecure as I have seen in the past........now she is being a young lady with a job and doing it quite well. Her hair, maybe it's her way of feeling like she is Kate/Catherine as she has worn it that way for years now, before even meeting William. I think given time she will try more hairstyles, she can't please all the people all the time...she should do as she feels comfortable in her role.;)

William must like blue....:cool:....he is in a rut with a blue suit or blue whatever all the time. He looks more uptight then usual and not a very happy camper.......some shots of him show his unease.

I like the new portrait of the Queen, it shows her of today and not yesterday....and in blue which I think is also her favorite color with pearls......nicely done.

Catherine looks lovely in the black dress. As for William, I have a feeling he likes blue. It looks good on him.

There is nothing wrong with it but it seems that is what he wears almost all of the time. His dad and grandfather mix up their colors. But William never does it's blue shirt/jeans or navy suit.

I agree he needs some variety ;)

as for the black dress for Kate, i liked it.

Notoriously stubborn as the Duke is reputed to be, no sartiorial advice from his wife or his [invariably dapper] father will make any difference...

It would take a word from the Queen..'Have you considered a number of different new suits dear ? perhaps in grey or black'.. to make him realise how much he could do for younger mens style.

Saville Row has a number of 'more modern' gentlemens outfitters that would be ideal [and delighted to help !]

Maybe Lupo could accidentally get into his closet at KP while they are away.

I liked this black dress very much. She looks good in it and the feather detail was a good idea.

Lovely outfit, beautiful applique. Saw only a glimpse of same I assume diamond earrings.
Agree Baroness, full length would have made this dress.

I admit it, I very much miss the "old" days with more glamor, jewels and tiaras. This is sort of a let down for me. :ermm:

I was hoping for some Linda Darnell 40's glam hairdo to top off the black appliqued dress.

Love everything about this dress - the fit, the style, the silver fern.

I agree with others, the appliqué on both shoulders would have looked way too 80's.

It was a pretty dress but I was hoping for a gown, as in a more formal long gown along with some jewels. This seemed to be more like a cocktail party. She looked nice though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

It was a pretty dress but I was hoping for a gown, as in a more formal long gown along with some jewels. This seemed to be more like a cocktail party. She looked nice though.
I am guessing that cocktail was the dress code. However, she could still have pulled a stunner with an appropriate updo and taken a page from Victoria and planted a fabulous brooch in her hair. We would also have have been able to admire those gorgeous earrings.

We would have been able to appreciate the beauty of the boat neck and the crystal embroidered fern. You can't get much more NZ than a black dress with a silver fern. As an aside, I think it would make a knockout full length gown. But, if her hair is down . . . forget it. I was fascinated by how her hair got caught in her earrings, and tangled in the beading on the shoulder.

After her beautiful ponytail during the day the evening hairdo was a big let down. It looks a bit fly-away, almost brittle.

I don't like coats wearing like dresses....I love the black dress with that shinny flower in the shoulder she looks lovely!

State receptions always get me anticipating gowns and tiaras- seems I never learn. She looked fine, but I agree this could have been stunning with a hair adornment ( I don't mean a tiara!).

If the Duchess's hair looks brittle, then there's no hope for any of us. Clearly she feels comfortable with her hair down-she might also be "tender-headed," as we say in the South, and not feel comfortable in updos. We simply don't know.

I am guessing that cocktail was the dress code. However, she could still have pulled a stunner with an appropriate updo and taken a page from Victoria and planted a fabulous brooch in her hair. We would also have have been able to admire those gorgeous earrings.

Imagine if she wore the fern brooch in her hair with a fabulous French twist; how stunning that would have been and it would have displayed the earrings as well.

Catherine is lovely, no matter how she wears her hair, but she just doesn't look like herself when it's pinned back or up. If I were to see her, I would be disappointed if her fabulous hair was all flattened down atop her head.
I may be biased, though. I have a big ol' head of hair myself, and it's always down.

I thought the cocktail dress looked nice and elegant on Catherine, the fern is a thoughtful touch but there's just something about it that looks a little odd. The dress would've looked better without IMO. I don't really understand why some are complaining about her hair, whenever there's an appearance from Catherine there's usually always a negative comment about it. I think it often looks fine - it does make me wonder what people must think of mine! :D ;)

Ah, Heriditary Princess, when you get a fashion thread of your own then we can chat about your lovely hair! :D It's only that we like to discuss other possibilities how Kate can wear her hair on formal occasions while displaying those lovely jewels that she brought with her.

Ah, Heriditary Princess, when you get a fashion thread of your own then we can chat about your lovely hair! :D It's only that we like to discuss other possibilities how Kate can wear her hair on formal occasions while displaying those lovely jewels that she brought with her.

:lol: My hair is usually very frizzy and 'everywhere', so I doubt I would get many positive comments!

Am I wrong here or does she not have a hairdresser with her? The dress is fine...nothing to write home about...but the hair is so distracting. Also, I remember when my child was that age, hair hanging down was an invitation to become bald in what ever patch was hanging! If she would just do something with the front and leave the rest down I think it would be flattering, elegant and practical.

I agree. Her hairdresser really needs to suggest some styles that take the hair off her face. Now that she is a mom I would think she would prefer her hair up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

I admit it, I very much miss the "old" days with more glamor, jewels and tiaras. This is sort of a let down for me. :ermm:

So do I, Duchessmary. I hate the way society is so slobbish and casual compared with how it was decades ago. Having said that, I wouldn't want to see a return of the compulsory wearing of gloves. I like to be free, not bundled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom