The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 4: August 2012 - October 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NGalitzine said:
Apparently you have a very chic grandmother. Did you inherit her sense of style?:flowers:

Inherited my own sense of style darling. ;) Catherine dresses like a 50 year old with a tall 12 year olds body. She needs some help.

I love the color of the dress. It suits Catherine. As for the hair, I think the fringe would have looked better if it were on just one side of her face.

So very seventies. Not my favorite look. It's too dated, between the hair and the dress. Not updated-retro, just retro-retro.

Did not like it the first time, do not now.

I like the dress but I think it would have looked better with a different color belt and some nice accessories. I'm not fond of her hair covering her eyes.

This dress is awful! The style ages her.

The hair and the dress - in one word, no. She looks unkempt with her hair in her face and the dress is just matronly. But the softer makeup suits her very nicely.

Last edited:
i personally dont like the dress, because its not something i would wear. but even though sometimes Catherine looks a bit matronly, i think this type of dresses arent bad in her.

the bangs (fringe) should be shorter, it would not cover her eyes and show more the diferent hairstyle. but i appreciate her effort for a change.

i like the less make-up, she looks more beautiful that way. beauty to me is the natural beauty where you dont need makeup to put a mask on.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
What an awful dress! Does look like a P Anne favorite to me too. New hairstyle all in her face is even worse.
Don't really understand many posters claiming she looks as if she'd gained weight. Anyone would look heavier in an all pleated slik dress.

I don't like the dress, but I can hardly stand some of the comments being made in this thread. "She needs help," "emperor's new clothes"? Puh-leeze! Fashion and clothes are all about personal style and taste. Everyone is welcome to their opinions, but let's not bash the person.

I don't really like the dress but am having trouble deciding just what the problem is with it. I think it is the color - it seems a bit off to me. It could be because that color would look awful on me and I am projecting that on to Catherine.

I don't like the dress, but I can hardly stand some of the comments being made in this thread. "She needs help," "emperor's new clothes"? Puh-leeze! Fashion and clothes are all about personal style and taste. Everyone is welcome to their opinions, but let's not bash the person.
Yeah, some of the comments (especially the ones about her body) are way harsh.

I'm really not a fan of this dress. I don't like the color or the style. I do like her hair though. I think the cut really suits her. Plus the bangs keep her from constantly touching her hair - which has been a common complaint from many.

Last edited:
Kate today at The Natural History Museum's Treasures Gallery opening:

- Hair and makeup

- Close up of the outfit
- Complete outfit
- Side view

I'm not normally a fan of this particular style but I actually like this dress; maybe the colour saves it for me.

Is it just me or Kate is wearing a lot less makeup than usual? She appears to have used a softer colour (taupe or light brown) for an eyeliner instead of the horrible black, and the blush looks much softer and natural-looking too (probably a cream one).

Just a little information on the dress: Kate is wearing the same Mulberry "Cabbage" dress she had worn ia back in November of 2011 at the Reception For Media to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Just in case someone from DM is reading this, the dress has a £1400 price tag.

Like the colour, don't like the dress. Don't think black shoes were a good idea with it.
Don't like her hair the way she got it cut, don't think this style of bangs suits her face. It also looks a little odd with the curls, the top half is almost straight and the bottom half is curly. Hope she will go back to the old style soon enough.

She looks very sweet in the first picture, almost like a little girl.

I love Mulberry what can I saw ... but I think the fring is just more hair in her face .. groan I like her makeup and the earrings are a good match for the dress .. IMO

I love Mulberry what can I saw ... but I think the fring is just more hair in her face .. groan I like her makeup and the earrings are a good match for the dress .. IMO

Took me a while to find those earrings :), but yes, they match the colour of the dress nicely.

Dear Duchess of Cambridge, if you are reading these forums then please take heed and employ a professional stylist so we can admire your natural beauty in more flattering attire. cheers

FRUMPY!!!!

Just as I thought the hair-hanging-down style couldnt get any worse Kate comes up with bangs hanging in her face.

The dress and its style is something I see working on a 70 year old lady.

The new hairstyle definitely does not suit Kate. In fact she looks more awkward than comfortable and there is now even more hair in her face. The dress is a beautiful shade and quite conservative but I must admit that Kate can pull off this look rather well. Less is more and I think this is what a Kate signature look will always be.

Inherited my own sense of style darling. ;) Catherine dresses like a 50 year old with a tall 12 year olds body. She needs some help.
I honestly didn't think things could get any worse and her style and taste had to be on the upswing . . . wrong! Again!

And the only thing missing from her floppsy moppsy hairdo is the obligatory, equally floppsy, shiny satin ribbons tied in bows just like an early picture of the QM as a very small child! But at least they kept the hair out of her eyes!!

Last edited:
Its a lovely colour on her but unfortunately the style does nothing for her nor does the new fringe.

I'm not keen on this dress; all those pleats would make even a thin person look dumpy.
But the style is similar to what we've seen Kate wear in the past so she must like it.

Her hair I liked better before, but people have been complaining that she never changes it, so now she has. It looks okay, imo.

As for makeup, I feel everyone looks better with some; hers looks quite attractive, imo.

The new haircut with the bangs reminds both of how Diana wore her hair in the old days and how Camilla still wears her hair (because Charles is afraid he will fall out of love if she changes it). Very 80's! Very outdated!

Her hair I liked better before, but people have been complaining that she never changes it, so now she has. It looks okay, imo.
Catherine's hair has always been the 'same', so a change is welcome, but...she did it in the wrong way, i dont think that bangs covering the face is a nice change (if she really wanted bangs, why not shorter? sometimes in the pics looks like she doesnt see anything around her):ermm:

Oh my god, what an ugly dress, screams grandma to me!

The hair is even worse than before, I thought the wall of hair was bad, but bangs hanging all over her face, that's worse. And the colour is too dark, she had a lovely haircolour before. (Or is it just my screen and the colour hasn't even changed?)

I'm past 50 and certainly wouldn't be caught wearing that dated Mrs. Doubtfire style; it's too reminiscent of the 1980s for me and what I wore back then. And, Lawdy, are those peace signs scattered on the dress? That certainly emphasizes the retro look even more so.

Last edited:
I'm past 50 and certainly wouldn't be caught wearing that dated Mrs. Doubtfire style; it's too reminiscent of the 1980s for me and what I wore back then. And, Lawdy, are those peace signs scattered on the dress? That certainly emphasizes the retro look even more so.

I think for those of us who lived through this dress style, it is a far less impressive and fresh (peace symbols and all) look than for younger people. Mrs Doubtfire it is.

But I am a firm believer in everyone finding their own style. I figure that no one critiqued all my early garb way back in the day, so I allow others the same leeway!

That's true about finding one's style, but it's one thing to wear an outfit current to its era and wasn't critiqued as dated or matronly because that was the fashion of the day and you looked the style. It's another to see an '80s dress reintroduced in all its peace sign glory and full coverup nowadays, definitely a throwback to another era. At least the color is certainly refreshing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom