The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 4: August 2012 - October 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the dress on her, I think it suits her. It is feminine and floaty, the pleats are good for her and the length is perfect for her legs.
If she had put her hair up a little, and maybe picked up the coral in the dress with some coral jewelry it would have been nicer.
It does have an asian flair, I think

My fav is the patterned purple dress, the kimono is growing on me, this newest one reminds me of a picture drawn by an Asian artist that I came across earlier this year, I think it was a painting or a water color.

Seems like if you're a woman of a certain age and a grandmother you may well be offended by some of the recent comments here. I am not sure what old granny curtains look like, but my grandmother had equisite taste in her soft furnishings and fabrics......if people mean that the fabric or design is old fashioned, I disagree because clearly the fabric and design is currently available in 2012!

Seems like if you're a woman of a certain age and a grandmother you may well be offended by some of the recent comments here. I am not sure what old granny curtains look like, but my grandmother had equisite taste in her soft furnishings and fabrics......if people mean that the fabric or design is old fashioned, I disagree because clearly the fabric and design is currently available in 2012!

You are fully right!

We have to decide in this thread if we want Catherine to get out dressed as a 15 years Hollywood 2nd class starlette, or as a 30 years Princess, future Queen of England, on official duty.

Last edited:
:previous: Well said. I have to admit that I quite liked the style of the dress . . . after all, I wore a LBD in almost the exact same style 20+ years ago! :ermm:

I have to admit to severe reservations about the the floral design though and yes, I think HM would look wonderful wearing it. :D

You are fully right!

We have to decide in this thread if we want Catherine to get out dressed as a 15 years Hollywood 2nd class starlette, or as a 30 years Princess, future Queen of England, on official duty.

. Are there only 2 choices as to what people find fashionable yet "royal", really? I've seen Catherine dress beautifully and said so. This is a time when I don't love what she's wearing. Catherine is not a much of a fashion martyr as she's been cast. Every royal lady has hits or misses fashionwise. It's not a crime to dislike an outfit or two.

The design of the dress is lovely. It's the print that is awful in my opinion

There's nothing new in the world of fashion. Styles and colours are just on a conveyer belt, coming back in and heading out again on a never-ending loop.

. Are there only 2 choices as to what people find fashionable yet "royal", really? I've seen Catherine dress beautifully and said so. This is a time when I don't love what she's wearing. Catherine is not a much of a fashion martyr as she's been cast. Every royal lady has hits or misses fashionwise. It's not a crime to dislike an outfit or two.

The design of the dress is lovely. It's the print that is awful in my opinion

You are right, but I was not saying about opinions. You can find her outfits, nice or uggly, or non appropriate for each occasion, this is normal and this is the purpose of this forum. What personnally do not like, is that people criticize her either if she is "too oldish", or "too extreme, short, etc etc", like if she was already condamned...without judgement.

Very "fairy tale", in the limit of kich, for occidental looks. But might be appropriate, in the "one thousand and one nights" Middle/Far East style.

Boris you are right about the neckline. Too deep, IMO

I like it. The daytime fashion forum was just lamenting about her "safe" choices and how Diana "took risks." Some of Diana's early choices were not so great...

Well, here Catherine took a risk. The dress gives a nod to local styling with the gold band and the flowers. The gold banding elongates the DOC, making her appear tall and elegant. I want to see closer looks at the jewels, please. Pics from this event seem a bit pokier than in Singapore. :ermm:

I'm just dying to ask her if the gown is soft - or if all that gilt is a bit scratchy! :lol:

I like it. The daytime fashion forum was just lamenting about her "safe" choices and how Diana "took risks." Some of Diana's early choices were not so great...

Well, here Catherine took a risk. The dress gives a nod to local styling with the gold band and the flowers. The gold banding elongates the DOC, making her appear tall and elegant. I want to see closer looks at the jewels, please. Pics from this event seem a bit pokier than in Singapore. :ermm:

I'm just dying to ask her if the gown is soft - or if all that gilt is a bit scratchy! :lol:

I think she looks lovely. but is that bare neck just screaming for some bling. wouldnt a diamond necklace have looked lovely? cant wait for more pictures and to see the bling of the other females.

Being how frugal she seems to be and not to waste a what I think could be a beautiful gown I hope that this overlay is just that. It is removable and she can wear what I think is a beautiful white gown under it in other places. Somewhere she can show her shoulders off. I also think a necklace with such a ornate gown might be hard to pull off but if she ever wears that white gown and I hope she does without the overlay I hope she wears it with a stunning tiara, necklace, earrings and bracelet. Ahhh a woman can dream right!

What can you say, the Duchess of Cambridge is one stunning young woman. She's truly a future Queen.

Remember when the little girls at school that Kate visited were disappointed because she didn't look very princessy in her jeans? Tonight's dress will disappoint no one at that dinner! Verrrry princessy...
And such a nice nod to the fashions of the country...

The dress looks good on her and she's definetly wearing that dress, instead of the other way around.

But I can't love it. I detest gold. It's so tacky.

Verrrry princessy...
And such a nice nod to the fashions of the country...
I'm sorry, but IMHO this looks 'princessy' enough to be a Walt Disney costume reject, and it's rather a nod to the revealing fashions from some ‘Aladdin’s Lamp’ 1950s Hollywood B-movie than anything else... unfortunately.
I’m actually quite stunned that neither Sarah Burton nor Catherine had the good sense and taste to discard the design after seeing the finished result.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

The dress works on some points for me - nice touch with the details recognising Malaysia. But as some othe rposters have commentated where will she wear this again?? Unless the overlay can be removed. It is an expensive gown

Mentions of customs having to have her shoulders covered but the neckline is very love for a Muslim country.

I often question the McQueen-Kate combination as for me this is another example of the designs not working.

The dress is very pretty. She looks stunning.

Am i the only one who thinks that dress is just a tiny bit Imelda Marcos? And I completely agree that if the overlay can be removed, this dress can be a winner, and worn again.

Diana had a gown that was similar if I recall.

I don't love it.

Last edited:
Diana had a gown that was similar if I recall.
Yes indeed, the design of one of the last Emmanuel dresses Princess Diana ever wore is comparable – from 1986, and also quite a mistake style-wise.
It was from the Emmanuel’s ‘Diaghilev collection’, meant to be inspired by costumes of Diaghilev ballets and made for a fashion show in benefit of the Red Cross.
Pic:
http://s17.postimage.org/nfew68cbj/Screenshot_2.jpg

This isn't a pretty dress at all in anyway. The gold embellishment border doesn't line the dress straps which look off IMO. I wider if this is a two piece dress. The white dress underneath looks like it could be worn without the upper layer.
Not sure why the embellishments didn't start on the bust area. The proportions are off to me.

Yes indeed, the design of one of the last Emmanuel dresses Princess Diana ever wore is comparable – from 1986, and also quite a mistake style-wise.
It was from the Emmanuel’s ‘Diaghilev collection’, meant to be inspired by costumes of Diaghilev ballets and made for a fashion show in benefit of the Red Cross.
Pic:
http://s17.postimage.org/nfew68cbj/Screenshot_2.jpg

That's it, thanks! I was frantically searching for that picture. If the dress underneath were a different color then there'd be an Indian-inspired look to it. As it stands the sleeves are lovely, but I agree with others, it misses the mark IMO.

Last edited:
Am i the only one who thinks that dress is just a tiny bit Imelda Marcos? And I completely agree that if the overlay can be removed, this dress can be a winner, and worn again.
I agree. The nod to Malaysia was nice, but I can't like this dress as is. The gold definitely reminds me of Imelda Marcos. And after a closer look, the under dress looks to be a beautiful dress on it's own. The dress is princess(y), but that still doesn't make me like it. Also, the jewels are a little underwelming. I'm thinking something bigger would have been better, but I also know the Duchess doesn't necessarily go with the theme, bigger is better, where her jewelry is concerned.

I love it... And now there's no way it can be said she doesn't take risks.
Whilst a dress like this will quite rightly divide opinions, I personally think a lot of thought and care has gone into choosing materials and designs to acknowledge th host countires which I'm sure is both recognised and appreciated.
Any signs of her footwear? (Love the gifts she was given. I hope she wears them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom