The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 4: August 2012 - October 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a miss. This dress would've been great on a resort.
Kate does not pull off bell sleeves and the dress had not cut which was very unflattering.

I think that the dress needs some help. For me what wasn't quite right were the black straps that were showing through the top. What would have been easier and much better looking would have been to extend the solid black all the way up the sheer part on the front of the dress. That way Catherine could have worn a strapless bra with the dress and it wouldn't have looked so messy. Other than that, I think that the dress is unique (in a good way for me). And the shoes and jewels are nice. The hair on the other hand, I would have liked it pulled away from her face with this dress.

She should have worn the black dress the original and not changed it. This was just not pretty.

The appliques were overkill on a very girlish dress. I may have given it a pass if it weren't for the heavily embroidered hem and I guess I'm old-fashioned when I express my dismay at bra straps showing through the sheer bodice.

Yes!!!!

I just hate when bra straps are showing; why didn't she wear a strapless one?
Or since it's bespoke, why didn't Temperley put a built-in bra inside?

Other than that, I didn't mind the dress, although she has looked better.

Yes!!!!

I just hate when bra straps are showing; why didn't she wear a strapless one?
Or since it's bespoke, why didn't Temperley put a built-in bra inside?

Other than that, I didn't mind the dress, although she has looked better.

I dont think they are bra straps - I think they are the sapghetti straps of the slip part of the dress -continuing up from the scoop neck

I dont think they are bra straps - I think they are the sapghetti straps of the slip part of the dress -continuing up from the scoop neck

I think they're spaghetti straps too.

Last edited:
Sort of looks like something you'd wear over a bikini or swimsuit on a holiday. And black really? For a celebration event.

Lumutqueen said:
Sort of looks like something you'd wear over a bikini or swimsuit on a holiday. And black really? For a celebration event.

Yes, but most of the women were in black as well!

Catherine is always picture perfect. Million watt smile and an elegant but fun dress sense, all without a single stylist or Lady in Waiting.
I hold the BRF to high standards and Catherine always passes muster with me ;) :D

They look like they are adjustable, though.
So that says bra straps to me.

Well I really don't like this dress and I am pleased someone else posted about the bra straps .. it's a bit matronly but maybe it doesn't photogragh well I can see the appeal but it just didn't work for me IMO. She ould do a whole lot better.IMO

They look like they are adjustable, though.
So that says bra straps to me.
In either case, slip or bra strap - there were better style choices for those of us who found this distracting. ;)

No not the spider-web dress again. Honestly this is the one dress I really don't like.

Kit said:
No not the spider-web dress again. Honestly this is the one dress I really don't like.

It's a vile dress, and the newspapers are going to go for the 'frugal' Catherine chatter because it's recycled. It should stay in the wardrobe.

I think HRH looks delicious tonight. The First Lady was blasted on the net over wearing a recycled dress on Election night the other day. I think if you paid a lot of money for something like that, you should be able to wear again.

I think she looks nice - and I like that she changed her accessories. And as much I like her hair down .... which I do - I do wish when she is wearing these dresses that have an interesting neckline, she would wear it up or back off her shoulders so we could enjoy more of the elegant detailing. she wore the red crystal poppy pin and you can barely make it out.

I like this dress and she looks good in it.

I would say that given this is an event which is about supporting a university of high status in its attempt to increase funds, wearing a new dress and the resultant expenditure would be a mistake.

St Andrews and the university life is seen by many as elitist; regardless of the facts, many think that the taxpayer pays for William and Catherine.

Good look plus good PR - has my vote.

I'm pleased to see Kate rewearing one of her evening dresses. :flowers:

I'm pleased to see Kate rewearing one of her evening dresses. :flowers:

I like seeing the outfits that Kate wears recycled too but this dress doesn't really do much for her at all. For some odd reason I've always kind of associated black lace with more matronly figures or a somber occasion. Kate has so many gowns that really flatter her and I really wish she had picked one of those instead.

Here is the dress that she wore at another event. Never liked this dress at all. That kind of lace just ages her to me. Would look better on an older woman in my opinion.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight Catherine is wearing Alice Temperley, a repeat of the dress worn to the War Horse premiere in 2010.
Twitter / Wilkinson_David: Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, ...
I love the dress, but I think the look would be more appropriate at a function like the Festival of Remembrance at The Royal Albert Hall.
Plus I am disappointed that it is not a new dress( though applaud Catherine for being thrifty, if that makes any sense.);)
William in a tux- 11 out of 10.:D

Last edited:
St Andrews and the university life is seen by many as elitist; regardless of the facts, many think that the taxpayer pays for William and Catherine.

Good grief, I really don't have much hope for our future if people believe getting a good education is elitist.

Good grief, I really don't have much hope for our future if people believe getting a good education is elitist.

I don't disagree with your view but in recent years, with the issues of increased student fees (or "loans") plus many universities deciding to charge the maximum of £9000 pa, all in a terrible financial climate - I think that many have that view.

And having reread by sentence above - perhaps I need help with both my grammar and punctuation! :lol:

I don't like the gown but love the bag....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom