The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 4: August 2012 - October 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well from a long way off it looks okay it when you get the close photos that the truth unfolds. What is going on IMO this is quite tacky in appearance and really not a a princess gown .. things are getting out of hand IMO ...

Last edited:
I think this is definitely an overlay, and it's growing on me.

It looks like a combo of the sheaths in Britain from the early 19th century and the embroidered frocks of southeast Asia.

bertie5252003 said:
Well from a long way off it looks okay it when you get the close photos that the truth unfolds. What is going on IMO this is quite tacky in appearance and really not a a princess gown .. things are getting out of hand IMO ...

Do you have any examples? I haven't seen this in any of the pics.

I like the look. Not her best ... but it works. I actually think the gold embroidery overlay piece was made to allow the gown to conform to local standards. It seems to me that the overlay piece can be removed and she will be left with one va-va-voom gown!

I usually like white and gold together but this dress is just awful! This has got to be one of Catherine's worst looks. The design is way off too me. The only thing I like about this look is her hairstyle.

It's a lovely dress. Neckline too deep though. I was hoping for a tiara but seems we won't be seeing any soon.

I do think the overdress is removable, and will leave her with a very wearable white dress for other events.

well that gold seams really tacky to me...it is a disney dress...but I like the look however i think she could have chosen better

Looks don't make a Queen. Anyway, where did she get that cleveage? Never seen a hint in any of her plunging necklines. She does look nice.

That is a very beautiful dress, I love the gold and whit together. She seems to be the best dressed at the event.

I think that Kate's evening look is beautiful. Although the bodice does seem low-cut for a Muslim country, I remember that Kate's would-have-been-mother-in-law wore an off-the-shoulder, wide-v-neck dress to a State Banquet in the UK involving the Malaysian Head of State in 1993. This photo is for reference only: Princess Diana Wearing A Dress Designed By Fashion Designer

The dress is bit Disney, I agree but she does look very nice. When it comes to the modesty issues, I think she missed the boat. The video and pictures show almost every other woman at the event covered their hair and certainly do not show any chest.

I'm not quite sure what it is about Kate, but if I were in her position, I'd err on the side of discretion. I think a high neck dress would look very nice on her given her "girls" are quite small. :whistling:

Kate seems to have a good relationship with Sarah Burton, I have no doubt that she would amend this dress in any way Kate asked her to.

My first impression was that I just don't like it. Kate just about rescues it because she's tall and statuesque and naturally attractive. Seeing what the other women at the dinner were wearing, it comes across better and I'm sure the hibiscus flowers will have been appreciated by her hosts. She doesn't look bad (I'm not sure she could if she tried).

All that aside, I still don't particularly like it. One thing I will say, however, is that several royal princesses give off an impression of not having tried very hard when choosing what to wear for official events. The same cannot be said of Kate, she always makes an effort and chooses pieces to honour her hosts. That's a very good attribute for a future queen to have.

Last edited:
I love the dress with a touch of Malasya style, I think she looks stunning! the gold and the white nice combintion! perfect for the ocassion! from who is?

I feel what one can go through in keeping in mind the hysterical celebrity we all find relied on those we look upon. They take us to the answer thereon where we kindle a fire within our soul and life feels like it's a party or festival. I feel like a kid when I look at princesses. All those reminders growing up of the magical and the fantastical kept me wondering about the beautiful and nonsensical. The silly. I've learned with time that everyone is sensible and special and can do anything possible. And in Kate I'm finding that she makes everything wonderful, so I thank her. I can tell she hopes she can make it preferable for us and it shows. Her way of dressing never let's me down, so cheers to her and for her making my wishes come true. You belong in Disney your majesty. Smiles.

I feel what one can go through in keeping in mind the hysterical celebrity we all find relied on those we look upon. They take us to the answer thereon where we kindle a fire within our soul and life feels like it's a party or festival. I feel like a kid when I look at princesses. All those reminders growing up of the magical and the fantastical kept me wondering about the beautiful and nonsensical. The silly. I've learned with time that everyone is sensible and special and can do anything possible. And in Kate I'm finding that she makes everything wonderful, so I thank her. I can tell she hopes she can make it preferable for us and it shows. Her way of dressing never let's me down, so cheers to her and for her making my wishes come true. You belong in Disney your majesty. Smiles.

I agree. When I put on something that I think is flattering or pretty or just perfect for the occasion, I feel like a better version of me. I understand that I am being superficial - but still LIKE HOW IT FEELS.

I'm just happy that the DOC seems to be OK with herself enough to dress how she likes, just as I do. It seems William and the rest of the firm supports that. I hope that makes her feel GREAT.

I love the frame of the dress, the style...but I don't care at all for the stark white plunging neckline. I think it would of been much nicer to have the neckline go straight across with some decoration/pattern...and her neck is so bare! Would it of killed her to wear some sort of necklace??

LaRae

This dress has a very whimsical feel to it, almost fairy-like, and it reminds me of gowns worn in Regency era. I think Catherine pulls it off quite nicely, but I could do without the overlay. Too much, in my opinion. I do love her hair. It goes with the whimsical feel.

Yes indeed, the design of one of the last Emmanuel dresses Princess Diana ever wore is comparable – from 1986, and also quite a mistake style-wise.
It was from the Emmanuel’s ‘Diaghilev collection’, meant to be inspired by costumes of Diaghilev ballets and made for a fashion show in benefit of the Red Cross.
Pic:
http://s17.postimage.org/nfew68cbj/Screenshot_2.jpg

The Duchess of Cambridge wins this fashion showdown! :lol:

ETA: How brilliant would she have looked with the Strathmore Rose to top it off? I think the tiara's discoloration that seems so apparent in photographs would actually have gone really well with the white and gold of the dress. Then there's the flower motif... Whoever did the photoshop of her in the Lover's Knot should tackle this look with the Strathmore Rose!

ETA (again): Or INDEED the Teck Crescent!!

Last edited:
The more I look at it, the more I like. This dress is definitly unique and outstanding. Plus it suits the Duchess IMHO. Whether it is culturally appropriate ... I checked two career-sites with regional information and both recommend dresses/skirts and advise women to cover their knees and their upper arms respectivly. Nothing said about the neckline. However, both sites recommend not to wear the color 'yellow'. It's obviously the prerogative of the Malaysian Crown to wear this color. Therefor I am bit surprised about the golden applications. But maybe gold is treated different to yellow? Any insight on the color scheme from locals would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly in advance.

Thanks for this coverage! The pictures and videos are terrific! Unfortunately I do not think she made a good selection of wardrobe for this trip (not bad, but not great)

I think Catherine is absolutely beautiful in that gown. The gold is for royalty and she fits the bill. She has made a good selection.

I weigh in in the Disney costume reject vote.
To lump this fashion faux pas with anything her late mother in law wore is really off the mark.
The cut of the dress, style, cut and color, not to mention lack of hairstyle, and jewelry or accessories just don't make it

I have thought about posting this, or not. I decided to post.

For everyone who thinks the white/gold dress had too low a neckline I would point out:
1. Catherine's best features are her smile, her waistline, her neckline and her height/legs (IMHO). This gown took advantage of those.
2. Many here in the blogs hold up Princess Diana as a fashion icon. Please, go revisit her choices of neckline/plunge.
3. The DOC played by the rules. She covered her arms. The "plunge" is not deep and it shows and athletic rather than a pulchritudinous figure. She is fit and that what shown rather than deep decolletage.

She portrayed herself as a respectful, western woman. I liked it for many reasons.

It's a pretty gown. But all I can say is "no tiara". :sad:

I absolutely loved this gown! Beautiful, simply beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom