The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 3: February 2012 - August 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How boring, at least we saw blue this afternoon. I wouldn't class her hair as up, half is in a bun whilst the other half drapes like usual. Although it looks better than usual.

She looks very sophisticated tonight. I like the hair, and it's so obvious now that she kept it down for her 2 engagements earlier in the day so she'd only have to change it once, for this evening's engagement.

I prefer this dress in the oatmeal colour from the Royal Marsden, I thought she looked truly stunning in it, but this is lovely too.

Kate's overall looks good but boring. Im glad she pulled her hair to the back, looks so much nicer.
I agree with you on all accounts: nice but overly safe and somewhat boring outfit, and definite improvement in hair department.

I prefer this dress in the oatmeal colour from the Royal Marsden, I thought she looked truly stunning in it, but this is lovely too.
So do I. The oatmeal coloured dress was beautiful but the grey version looks just boring.

Undecided if I finally like it or not.
However - I start to get the feeling that the shape of her dresses are always the same. Although I like the classical elegant look - I feel it might be nice from time to time to deviate?

Well, last night she wore a peplum dress, and this is certainly not peplum, so they can't be that similar.

Her hair is not her face. I feel like throwing a party. :) In my opinion, she looks much nicer now. Though I prefer her Matthew Williamson dress.

How boring, at least we saw blue this afternoon. I wouldn't class her hair as up, half is in a bun whilst the other half drapes like usual. Although it looks better than usual.

It's up and off her face, which has been one of the constant complaints in regards to her hair.

:previous: I always thought she was so smart to buy this dress in all 3 colours as it is just a great fitting, flattering dress, that could be a great staple in her wardrobe. I do like that she jazzed up her hair and wore larger earrings than we have seen in a long time from her. I too wish there had been some color - if for no other reason, she is in a sea of grey suits.
but i quibble as I think she looks just lovely
Agree. I think this dress is really flattering for her. I'm interested to see how she accessories the black version of this dress.

Last edited:
Who are the shoes by; does anyone know?

I think Catherine looks nice. It's her usual understated look, and it suits her fine. The dress is elegant and appropriate for the event as well. Her hair and earrings are lovely.

Catherine looks pretty even if I would have preferred a different colour. Nice to see her with the hair pulled back.

:previous: I always thought she was so smart to buy this dress in all 3 colours as it is just a great fitting, flattering dress, that could be a great staple in her wardrobe. I do like that she jazzed up her hair and wore larger earrings than we have seen in a long time from her. I too wish there had been some color - if for no other reason, she is in a sea of grey suits.
but i quibble as I think she looks just lovely

What she might have done is to add a scarf!
I love scarves, and that would add a welcome bit of color to a very basic dress. :flowers:

I don't think I've ever seen Kate wearing a scarf.

Kate looks stunning as usual, I wouldn't mind owning this dress, it's simple and beautiful and it really suits her. Her hair is looking really great too, although I don't mind that she wears it down for most of the time, I really like when she wears it up (or semi-up as it technically is all up tonight).

It's a nice dress but nothing more. That's an intersting belt. I love her hairstyle!

It's up and off her face, which has been one of the constant complaints in regards to her hair.

I love her hair tonight! The half up/half down is flattering and it's finally something a bit different- 2 thumbs up from me

Undecided if I finally like it or not.
However - I start to get the feeling that the shape of her dresses are always the same.

I do sort of see what you are saying, there are a bunch of silhouette like this, but it's to be expected from Royalty and especially someone trying to stay true to her style and stay classy....

Last edited:
I like her hair, her earrings and the belt which certainly jazzed up the look, but again a neutral color where this lady can wear so many beautiful ones. As another poster mentioned, a different color in a sea of blues and greys would have looked great.

Yes her hand in the hair it is not a good thing to see...someone should told her to avoid that...but she is learning...

Just curious - why is it not good to have your hand in your hair? What am I missing? I've been known to tousel my own hair - is this declasse? :sad:

The eye-makeup - if she could just relent. Its too much - as is her hair - and yet both these items - particularly the hair (in my experience) is governed by the wishes of the feller. :blush: Maybe she likes it long but its getting very long - a lot of hair to manage. My guess is the hubby is having a say in the matter - as is the way, as we know. ;) When babies come along she may reconsider. For now it is what it is.

Great legs!

She is lovely - and the effect she creates is very dramatic - but she absolutely never varies her make-up. Its not organic. She wears the same here that she would wear at any other time. Its becoming a little bit more than a 'signature' style with the make-up. A year in and there has been no evolution - wonder why?

Good eye! I'd say it's very possible. In fact, I'm almost certain it's the same one.
The Amanda Wakeley dress (including a picture of the dress as worn by Kate)

What a difference a color makes - I absolutely love the dress in the white - or is it called oatmeal? Especially the shoes. A very elegant look - but that does not translate to the darker color for me. Dislike the hair arrangement. Overall does not work - particularly because her slouch is very noticeable. Is it possible that that is why she favors the long hair massing all around her? It hides the 'lean forward'? The hair is certainly a protection from all the eyes.

Is it possible that Kate is saying - I will dress well and appropriately but I will not be leading with my clothes? I have a sense she's not trying to be anything more than well-groomed and conservatively turned out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious - why is it not good to have your hand in your hair? What am I missing? I've been known to tousel my own hair - is this declasse? :sad:

I read somewhere that it makes you look fidgety and distracts the person you are talking to.

Wooo good gawd, Kate wore a dark straight up and down dress and she looked great, not just great but also kind of hott.
Everytime I see Kate's hair and makeup I am glad that she is comfortable with herself and doesn't care about nitpicking, if she did she wouldnt look as beautiful as she does.

The embellished peplum outfit just seems to be about the ugliest I've ever seen. I really tried to find anything redeeming. Maybe if the top fit her and wasn't too short and baggy. The view from the rear is so unflattering. And the neckline so bad with the hair.
The plain grey dress fits nicely and a very interesting belt. I agree a scarf would have done wonders. Her hair was different, it reminded me of Mary of Denmark's hair when she would put it up before her engagement. A sweep of little bangs or parted on the side would have softened the look

It's either blue or grey with her. ;) Or maybe, if we're lucky, beige? It's a boring look. Not sure about this hairdo. It's definitely better than usual, but at the same time I think it makes her look harsh or like a headmistress. Now, she has such great long hair, might be due to the help of a few fantastic extensions as well, but she seems stuck with hair down or this hairdo. Pity... Overall she looks so dark or grey, there are no highlights (the same with her blue outfit int he afternoon). I think a classy brooch somewhere or simply a completely different make up would help. Not sure this will happen any time soon, though.

Last edited:
How quickly people (choose to) forget. A few weeks ago Kate wore pink jeans on an engagement! Then she gave a speech in a bright cornflour blue. When she wore a red coat to Copenhagen she was criticised for wearing too bright a colour for the seriousness of the event. Is meeting badly injured soldiers and highlighting a campaign to properly remember the massacre that was the First World War any less serious than the Copenhagen visit? I don't think so.

But she only wears blue or grey. :rolleyes:

Catherine should be buying tall-miss clothing. They are an inch longer in the waist and about 2 inches longer in the skirt. They would fit much better.

Its a good look, especially the hairdo & earrings. The dress is nice but the colour is really dull.

Oh I do think Catherine looks very sophisticated in this dress - it suits her colouring and I love the gold belt. Once again, I would be happy to see her wear this during the day. The particular hairstyle she is wearing is my favourite style on her.

As an aside, and with regard to skirt length, I recently saw a photo of Princess Diana taken I think in the mid-nineties bending down to take a bunch of flowers from a child. The skirt-length she wore along with the exceedingly high-heeled shoes, showed just as much leg as we have seen with Catherine recently. Am I to understand that womens' skirt lengths have become longer since the 1990's and that it is a faux-pas to wear then above the knee?
I'll try and hunt down the photo.

Nice look, but I don't like color of the dress, it's boring and doesn't suits Kate. I prefer cream version of that dress, looked really nice on her. Gray one looks very casual and even gold accessories didn't helped. Finally hair up and we can see nice earrings.
From 3 last events my favorite is light gray dress with beading.

Well it is a simple outfit boring colour granted but her hair is out of her face thank heaven an d the makeup is well done here IMO. She has those nice earring on again all in all okay.IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom