The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 3: February 2012 - August 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So why keep saying repeatedly that she should wear it up?
Probably because she wears some pretty amazing Eveningwear and the style and detail are obliterated by a curtain of hair. Same goes for jewellery. When she wears earrings we are lucky to get a really good shot because they are obscured by a curtain of little girl hair.

Many royals and celebrities have long hair and wear it loose but they realise that people want to see their faces so, when they are "on show", they style it away from the face, unlike Catherine's ubiquitous curtain.

Probably because she wears some pretty amazing Eveningwear and the style and detail are obliterated by a curtain of hair. Same goes for jewellery. When she wears earrings we are lucky to get a really good shot because they are obscured by a curtain of little girl hair.

Many royals and celebrities have long hair and wear it loose but they realise that people want to see their faces so, when they are "on show", they style it away from the face, unlike Catherine's ubiquitous curtain.

Exactly. And honestly, there are times when I think it looks fantastic down, even at black tie events. I loved it at the BAFTA event in the lavender evening gown. It worked with that dress. It also worked well with the black velvet dress she wore to the Sun Military Awards.

A dress like this though- it's all about the silhouette, and having her hair down ruins that look. If she wants to wear her hair down, she should stick to styles where it works.

I for one don't think her hair being down ruined any of her look/dress

I think Kate has a very predictable style. It's simple bordering at times on the boring (well to me at least) and her hair is the way she likes it. At this stage she doesn't seem to feel the need to change it and in time this will change. As you get older that style of hair needs to change. Kate just isn't a girl who likes to try new things with her hair or clothes it seems. It is a pity because it means we don't see the lovely jewels or the full impact of some of the clothes she wears maybe someone will point that out to her. I do think it's her safety net and she hides behind it so it will be around for awhile. I am not a shoe girl and I am not all that impressed with the ones she wore you can get some nice shoes and the split was very high but if it wasn't there it would have probably looked too old on her.

Meadow said:
I think Kate has a very predictable style. It's simple bordering at times on the boring (well to me at least) and her hair is the way she likes it. At this stage she doesn't seem to feel the need to change it and in time this will change. As you get older that style of hair needs to change. Kate just isn't a girl who likes to try new things with her hair or clothes it seems. It is a pity because it means we don't see the lovely jewels or the full impact of some of the clothes she wears maybe someone will point that out to her. I do think it's her safety net and she hides behind it so it will be around for awhile. I am not a shoe girl and I am not all that impressed with the ones she wore you can get some nice shoes and the split was very high but if it wasn't there it would have probably looked too old on her.

I totally, completely agree with your post! You said it right when you said Kate has "predictable style". She definitely does. Nothing's wrong being predictable in the fashion world, but she could at least step out of the box and do something different once in awhile. How I wish she were open to try new things! I think her hairstyle is definitely her hiding some insecurities and it's the only way she knows how to be comfortable, hence the safety net.

She needs an updo...and I will keep saying it till I see it!

I think there is a balance between people complaining about Kate's hair etc each time and people saying they are tired about the complaints about her hair etc each time - where is the problem. Its a free forum, nobody is forced to make a statement here.

I think there is a balance between people complaining about Kate's hair etc each time and people saying they are tired about the complaints about her hair etc each time - where is the problem. Its a free forum, nobody is forced to make a statement here.

That's true, but the constant discussion does make for a boring thread. It's not like Kate is the only royal to wear the same hairstyle, it's just that their fashion threads aren't filled with page after page of complaints about it. Most posters have learned to ignore the hair and just focus on the clothes (i.e. Victoria's thread). Hopefully this thread will get that way.

I do find that a lot of complaints about Kate's fashion choices (boring style and colors, skirts being too short, too much makeup, etc.) are things that are not much of an issue when other royal women do it. I'll go into their threads and see the same fashion choices that Kate is criticized for, being either ignored or only briefly acknowledged - rarely will there be page after page focused solely on it. I've even seen some royals praised for some of Kate's "bad" fashion choices - like wearing the same boring color/style or minimal jewelry.

I do understand that style is subjective and everyone won't like the same things, but some of the criticism seems really personal and nitpicky. I mean, now her nail polish is being criticized?

Last edited:
Several posts have been removed. Please remember that all posts must be respectful to both the subject matter and other posters. Please also remember that both sides of the discussion are allowed here - positive and negative.

JessRulz
For the Royal House of Fashion moderators

I do not really understand people, when complaining for Kate's style that it is "boring". What are they expecting from a person with her profile? (i.e. married with the 2nd in line to the British throne) To amuse them with her clothes? to surprise them? to make revolutions by creating unusual trends?
Personnally I let this to Victoria Bekham, Stella Mc Cartney and to other persons like them, but definitely not to a Queen to be!
For me a person like Catherine, has to dress with class and respect. The class of her rank, and respect towards the Royal family and towards her people, their sense of elegance and the allowance they are paying for. If this is boring.. YES a like this boring Princess.

If Nancy Dell'Olio thinks Kate has no style, then she's obviously getting things just about right. In fact, a general policy of wearing the opposite of whatever Nancy would wear will keep Kate on the right track in the years ahead. Who would take sartorial advice from a woman who goes out of the house looking like this?

Google Image Result for http://tiskin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/51a1article-2075737-0F36933700000578-485_634x1098.jpg

Last edited:
If Nancy Dell'Olio thinks Kate has no style, then she's obviously getting things just about right. In fact, a general policy of wearing the opposite of whatever Nancy wears will keep Kate on the right track in the years ahead. Who would take sartorial advice from a woman who goes out of the house looking like this?

Google Image Result for http://tiskin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/51a1article-2075737-0F36933700000578-485_634x1098.jpg

GOD!!!! Look at the two pictures and decide WHO from the two has style!!

Well, Camilla a has worn the 'big hair do' down at every single occasion, including major tiara events, but that does not seem to bother the same people who are carping about Kates hair do.

My thoughts on Kate's fashion styles and choices in jewelry and hair styles is that she's pretty much keeping it all low keyed and simple for a reason. Right now both her and William are not full time working royals and she's basically just starting branching out on her own into her own patronages and charities. If she keeps things as far as her appearance simple yet elegant, it is less likely that on a day to day basis she'll be focused on as a "fashion trendsetter" and more attention to what she is actually doing will take center stage. Amazingly though, whatever she does wear does sell out in record times though.

As time passes and Kate and William do take more of a center stage in the Royal family duties, she'll probably need dressers and hair stylists and the designers as a possible Princess of Wales and then Queen Consort. This year in particular, I think she's dressing according to her rank and status so as not to try and put herself into the limelight any more than she should be which to me is commendable.

I would just like to add something regarding the complaints about discussions regarding Kate's hair, cloths, shoes, etc.
We all have different opinions, and this is a discussion board; of course some people will criticise Kate, while others will praise.

I happen to like Kate and her style, but that doesn't mean I feel compelled to praise every single outfit she wears. Much as her luxurious hair appeal to me, that doesn't stop me from being bored with the rarely-changing hairstyle from time to time. Now, I don't expect Kate to read this thread and decide to morph into a perfect Princess as I imagine her; we just exchange opinions. And frankly, I don't see why I - or anyone else who happens to criticise Kate's outfit, hair or anything else - should feel guilty about it.

As most people, I have my ideas of fashion and express opinions accordingly; no one else is supposed to like those ideas or follow them.

Last edited:
No one's saying people can't have negative opinions on what Kate wears. But it gets incredibly boring when the same people make the same criticisms no matter what Kate wears. People say the same things if she's wearing a cocktail dress, or a suit, or a coat dress, jeans or an evening gown. They complain that the colours are boring, and then when she wears red in Copenhagen they criticise her for wearing a bold colour. When she wears conservative, closed toe stilettos, they complain that her shoes are dull. When she wears silver sandals they compare her to a slut. People complain that she always wears her hair down and we can't see her earrings, even though we've been able to see every set of earrings she's worn. They complain that she never does anything with her hair, even though just last week she had it in a half up do! When she wears conservative clothes people accuse her of dressing like a middle aged woman, but when she wears a skirt a couple of inches above the knee or a dress with slit in it people say she's inappropriate.

That's before we get into the name calling. She's been compared to a stripper, a slut, a clown, called trashy etc. etc. No other royal woman gets spoken about in this way. It makes this thread very unpleasant, and sadly predictable.

Oh, and let's not forget that it was Kate's fault, apparently, that photographers were taking pictures up her skirt. She was more or less accused of deliberately flashing them. People here said she shouldn't wear skirts or dresses shorter than calf length. Then in the next breath accuse her of dressing as though she was Camilla's age. She just cannot win.

Catherine's style will do for the British. The standards have become very low.

Last edited:
That's true, but the constant discussion does make for a boring thread. It's not like Kate is the only royal to wear the same hairstyle, it's just that their fashion threads aren't filled with page after page of complaints about it. Most posters have learned to ignore the hair and just focus on the clothes (i.e. Victoria's thread). Hopefully this thread will get that way.

I do find that a lot of complaints about Kate's fashion choices (boring style and colors, skirts being too short, too much makeup, etc.) are things that are not much of an issue when other royal women do it. I'll go into their threads and see the same fashion choices that Kate is criticized for, being either ignored or only briefly acknowledged - rarely will there be page after page focused solely on it. I've even some royals praised for some of Kate's "bad" fashion choices - like wearing the same boring color/style or minimal jewelry.

I do understand that style is subjective and everyone won't like the same things, but some of the criticism seems really personal and nitpicky. I mean, now her nail polish is being criticized?

And some of the people praising the others Princess for similar or same choices are the same one criticizing her. I don't get it

There are also some Kate fans who can't deal with any criticism of their fave. It gets just as boring to read the martyred Kate posts just because some don't like absolutely everything about every appearance. The same critiques are post because she doesn't change some basic things in 99% of her appearances. Plus I've seen some of the fans write equally vicious criticisms in the fashion threads of other royals. If you can dish it out then you have to be able to take the critiscism.

No one's saying people can't have negative opinions on what Kate wears. But it gets incredibly boring when the same people make the same criticisms no matter what Kate wears. People say the same things if she's wearing a cocktail dress, or a suit, or a coat dress, jeans or an evening gown. They complain that the colours are boring, and then when she wears red in Copenhagen they criticise her for wearing a bold colour. When she wears conservative, closed toe stilettos, they complain that her shoes are dull. When she wears silver sandals they compare her to a slut. People complain that she always wears her hair down and we can't see her earrings, even though we've been able to see every set of earrings she's worn. They complain that she never does anything with her hair, even though just last week she had it in a half up do! When she wears conservative clothes people accuse her of dressing like a middle aged woman, but when she wears a skirt a couple of inches above the knee or a dress with slit in it people say she's inappropriate.

That's before we get into the name calling. She's been compared to a stripper, a slut, a clown, called trashy etc. etc. No other royal woman gets spoken about in this way. It makes this thread very unpleasant, and sadly predictable.

Oh, and let's not forget that it was Kate's fault, apparently, that photographers were taking pictures up her skirt. She was more or less accused of deliberately flashing them. People here said she shouldn't wear skirts or dresses shorter than calf length. Then in the next breath accuse her of dressing as though she was Camilla's age. She just cannot win.

I don't remember anyone saying Kate deliberately flashed the press. You can say anything you want, but this is not a vent, it is a fashion discussion. Some like her fashions, some do not. Some flip-flop around on Kate's fashions, acknowledged when good and thumbs down when some of us don't like her choices. This thread is not an Adoration Room, it is a fashion discussion. It isn't even about Kate, but her clothing. Rants are not going to change anything.

I don't remember anyone saying Kate deliberately flashed the press. You can say anything you want, but this is not a vent, it is a fashion discussion. Some like her fashions, some do not. Some flip-flop around on Kate's fashions, acknowledged when good and thumbs down when some of us don't like her choices. This thread is not an Adoration Room, it is a fashion discussion. It isn't even about Kate, but her clothing. Rants are not going to change anything.

Did I say I wanted this to become an adoration room? I merely pointed out the complete hypocrisy with which some people choose to respond in this thread.

With regards to the photographers, posters suggested that given Kate was bending down to speak to children of course the photographers would take pictures up her skirt. The gist of it was that she was asking for it.

I wasn't aware I was ranting, very kind of you to point it out for me.

I don't see other Princess changing their looks either and yet I don't see the same 10 pages of complaints for every appearance either.

This tread is not even a fashion tread, because no one, no one here ever make a fashion critique or gave a fashion praise. Not ever

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume they're Wellington (or Wellies). That's what I've read the British aristocracy wear.

Wellington is not a brand. This type of rubber boot was popularised in early 19th century Britain by the first Duke of Wellington and became known as wellington boots, or wellies.

Kate's wellies are from Le Chameau. They even have a picture of Kate on the opening page of their website.

Le Chameau - a natural heritage

The other wellies most popular with the upper classes are Hunter boots, which are a bit cheaper.

GOD!!!! Look at the two pictures and decide WHO from the two has style!!

Both ladies have style, just DIFFERENT styles. Kate would have to have major cosmetic surgery to wear that dress. Plus, it would be a waste because her hair would hide the neckline.

If Nancy Dell'Olio thinks Kate has no style, then she's obviously getting things just about right. In fact, a general policy of wearing the opposite of whatever Nancy would wear will keep Kate on the right track in the years ahead. Who would take sartorial advice from a woman who goes out of the house looking like this?

Honestly, I just looked at the picture in the article and decided reading it would be a waste of my time.

Forget Nancy Dell'Olio - is Chelsee Healey supposed to have got it right?! :eek:
If that is glamorous, I'll be glad to be called old-fashioned and dowdy any day. And that's just the outfit: the makeup, hair and accessories are nothing short of horrendous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom