The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 3: February 2012 - August 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The dress practically screams for its boat neckline to be seen instead of being shrouded by that ever-present hair curtain, and consequently it screams for an updo... while the disco sandals might be considered fun, but certainly not with this dress.
In many pics you can also see that she simply doesn't have the confidence to wear a high front slit, so why go for it... just like dazzling, I don't care for the whole look.
Red toe nails! What was she thinking? This is not a beach barbecue. The shoes did no favours to what was an exquisite dress although, to be honest, the ever present hair curtain had already ruined the top half so I guess overall it didn't matter.

Now if she had gone for the Vamp in White with a killer up do, red lips and fingernails and maybe a knockout red clutch and matching shoes . . . who knows?

Last edited:
This is by far the height of chic and elegance. Kate does look absolutely exquisite. An "up" hair do might have just added that extra bit of panache. Otherwise a very lovely look.

Panache! That's a word I've been trying to think of for ages! In this context I think you're absolutely right, hair up with abit of sparkle would have given even more panache to an already chic and elegant look.

:previous: Red toe nails! What was she thinking?

Maybe that she likes red nail polish? Had she gone for red lips with the white dress she would've looked like a vampire.

If the hair had been up I think the dress would've looked too stark. If the dress was in another colour I would agree an updo would be better. Kate has never worn big pieces of statement jewellery, it's clear that she prefers the subtle, understated look.

Also, since when do silver shoes not go with an off white dress? I've just watched the State Opening of Parliament where the Queen was in a white dress with silver shoes and handbag. Needless to say she looked great.

Hair up and a great piece of jewelry and I would have given it a Perfection. I love the dress.

It's a nice dress but nothing special.
Hair smart, yes!
But explain to Kate somebody, thats possible to do beautiful hairdresses!
Silver shoes as at the dancer of a striptease(((

Okay I have to say that I love the shoes. How can you do wrng with Jimmy Choo's?? And the red toes are fantastic. The dress is nice and the hair down with it doesn't bother me. I agree that if it were another color she should have pulled her hair back. She looks wonderful and polished, much more so that some of the other women there.

Kate obviously doesn't like her hair up; no reason why she should, and she isn't going to do it if she doesn't like it.

Isn't anyone else tired of hearing about it?

Kate obviously doesn't like her hair up; no reason why she should, and she isn't going to do it if she doesn't like it.

Fully agree with you.

Agree!!!
And do not forget that she has a lot of decades towards her to have her hair up.....in front of the limelight:cool:

Also, since when do silver shoes not go with an off white dress? I've just watched the State Opening of Parliament where the Queen was in a white dress with silver shoes and handbag. Needless to say she looked great.

I'd never think of wearing silver shoes with anything other than pure white or black or silvery grey (but it would have to be the right shade of grey).

Last edited by a moderator:
Kate should do something else with the hair. Put it up or something. I find she is always pushing her hair away from her face. would be nice to see the top half of her outfits.

I love the red toenails, and I generally hate painted nails whatever the colour. Those shoes are incredibly fun and the red toenails are just a splash of bold colour. I wonder if Mr Kirkman was watching? ;)

This really is a WOW dress, in the best way. Anyone seeing what Gary Lineker's wife wore will see that Kate is sexy in an understated, classy way in this dress while Mrs Lineker just looks as if she's trying too hard.
Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, is trying too hard just like Mrs. Lineker.

Last edited:
Reiterating my opinion that a nice jewel-y hair clip would have served two purposes: get her hair a little off her face (and off the neckline) and add a tiny touch of bling to a somewhat stark look. She doesn't have to go with a full updo if she's not comfy with that, but just a barrette or some other kind of clip would go a long way.

Or maybe a beautiful jeweled brooch in her hair doubling as a hairclip. I'd love to see more jewels worn in a versatile way as the princesses of Sweden and Denmark do, as well as the Queen of Sweden.

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, is trying too hard just like Mrs. Lineker.

Seriously? You're having me on right? Mrs Lineker was showing a considerable amount of 'side boob', not to mention the super-classy tattoo under her armpit, the clearly visible panels trying to hang on to what's left of her dignity, and the fact that it was so low cut you could almost see her belly button.

Yeah, Kate was just as bad as Mrs Lineker.

The white is not boring IMO but rather plain as I think she means it to be if past gowns are anything to go by. I really don't like her look that much I think a little more Princess look is in order like Mary maybe... IMO of course... but to me this is just another one of her choices and the hair the bag nothing spech and the shoes are not new are they ... I would not go so far as to say I am sick of the stuff she wears but I'm getting there.
But to put her name in the same sentence as Mrs Lineker is a but rough ... you are joking aren't you ??? or have I missed an "in " type joke ??? Sorry if I have the latter looks like a well no I won't go there just to say the best thing she could have done was stay at home!!!!!!
Kate needs a pick me up in the fashion department IMO and though her choices are sold out in moments for me she is predictable and plain in the many of her choices.

I like the dress on her.It's simple and elegant.
Her shoes are great.
Usually,I hate red toenails but it's ok here since the dress color is bland.
No comment on her hairdo and make-up:whistling:

The white is not boring IMO but rather plain as I think she means it to be if past gowns are anything to go by. I really don't like her look that much I think a little more Princess look is in order like Mary maybe... IMO of course... but to me this is just another one of her choices and the hair the bag nothing spech and the shoes are not new are they ... I would not go so far as to say I am sick of the stuff she wears but I'm getting there.
But to put her name in the same sentence as Mrs Lineker is a but rough ... you are joking aren't you ??? or have I missed an "in " type joke ??? Sorry if I have the latter looks like a well no I won't go there just to say the best thing she could have done was stay at home!!!!!!
Kate needs a pick me up in the fashion department IMO and though her choices are sold out in moments for me she is predictable and plain in the many of her choices.

I'm being sarcastic; I don't think some others are.

I don't like this dress at all, nor the shoes nor the hair. Totally wrong look IMO.

Wow! I'm suprised at all the comments about how she dresses. I find that I like her "simple elegance". It suits her. she is not trying to be something she isn't. It's just her way of being dressy and comfortable, understated and elegant at the same time.
I think if she went another route and dressed flashier, or with more vibrant colors, jewerly all over her, and heels to high so that she can not walk correctly in them, she would not be perceived as being herself, rather, trying too hard to fit in with the "in" crowd.
Some may say that she dress matronly, but I just think that she likes being simple and elegant, rather than loud and flambouyant!
Personaly, I love the way she dresses. she wears the clothes rather than them wearing her. she never upstages anyones, but makes a statement all her own. and as of yet, she does not feel the need to show tons of skin to make others look at her. And with that alone, I applaud her fshion sense. JMO.

:previous:
Opinions can and do vary.
I am a great fan of sophisticated, even minimalistic outfits. However, the cream gown looked unfinished and bland to me; a good pair of earrings or a delicate necklace could have corrected that. The shoes might have looked good with another dress (although I'm generally not a fan of this particular style anyway), but they went horribly with the dress. Again, that's my opinion; I don't expect everyone or anyone at all to agree with it.

:previous:I have to agree with you, Artemisia, without denigrating Kate or her innate elegance, of course. I also feel that she should learn the difference in varying her hairstyle to suit the style of outfit she wears for maximum effect.

Last edited:

I am. It's starting to remind me of the tired complained about Princess Victoria ponytail.

:previous: OK, there's boring and then there is boring! If the hair is boring then it is boring. Fashion is perception and we all have our own opinions. Denigrating posters that don't agree with you is really counter-productive on a fashion thread although I have to admit the term "hoochie" has no place on such a thread.

I thought Kate's dress had the potential for elegant but in my opinion, the slit practically to her underwear took the elegance away. I think plain works well particularly when everyone else goes over the top bare. Could the dress have benefitted with the addition of a brooch or necklace - yes, but her hair probably would have covered it up.

My problem is with the shoes. I don't mind the color or the red nail polish, though I do think a cream or silver closed toe would have been more in keeping with the simplicity of the dress. What I don't like is the heel and platform. Everytime I see these shoes, I think of Las Vegas showgirls in sequins and feathers and very little else, if you get my drift. That would be the only place those shoes would be acceptable. In addition, if you look carefully at Kate's little toe, she already has a bunion from the hooker shoes she wears. How many years is it going to be before we see stories about her need for foot surgery after she ruins her feet in the idiotic heels she wears?

When is the last time you guys have been in a shoe store? All the shoes are platform and peak a boo toed. I think Kate looks great (though in need of a sandwich or 12). She's entitled to paint her nails whatever color she wants. It lasts all of about 5-7 days, after all. It's not like she got a tatoo.

I bet her favorite days are the rare ones she gets to wear jeans and a t shirt....

In addition, if you look carefully at Kate's little toe, she already has a bunion from the hooker shoes she wears. How many years is it going to be before we see stories about her need for foot surgery after she ruins her feet in the idiotic heels she wears?

I wonder about that EVERY time I see any woman in that type of shoe! Many years ago I had to wear heels - and my feet are in terrible shape because of that. I am very glad that I can stick to my "Reeboks" now - or better yet - no shoes at all!

:previous: OK, there's boring and then there is boring! If the hair is boring then it is boring. Fashion is perception and we all have our own opinions. Denigrating posters that don't agree with you is really counter-productive on a fashion thread although I have to admit the term "hoochie" has no place on such a thread.

It was not my intention to denigrate anyone; I was simply trying to make a point that the constant karping about Kate not wearing her hair up is really getting tiresome.

By now it's clear that she doesn't care for that style, or else she'd have done it by now.

So why keep saying repeatedly that she should wear it up? Anne isn't apt to change her style after all these years; Camilla doesn't change hers; the Queen doesn't change hers! Why should Kate change to a style she obviously doesn't care for?

However, It is not my intention to insult anyone, as I said. :flowers:

When is the last time you guys have been in a shoe store? All the shoes are platform and peak a boo toed.
That probably accounts for the fact that finding elegant, stylish and comfortable shoes is a real nightmare.

When I was shoe hunting a couple of weeks ago, I spent hours looking for sandals (strangely enough, silver ones as well) to go with a dress I wanted to wear to a wedding. Didn't really have high demands: just a pair that would not look cheap, tacky or showgirl. And yet no matter what price range I looked, from high street to high end (including Jimmy Choo's) - no luck. Ended up wearing my trusted black Gianmarco Lorenzi pair.

I suppose there is no account for taste; what might seem elegant and tasteful to me may look tacky to someone else, and vice versa. It's just I really don't understand why all the designers insist on creating shoes that are obviously not for wearing, unless you like slow torture. Kate's silver shoes are horrible; they may cost hundreds of pounds, but look pretty much the same as cheap, showgirl shoes. At least, they do to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom