The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 3: February 2012 - August 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the shade of grey, but am not too crazy about the style of the outfit (especially the back). I think the African motif embellishments on the sleeves and neckline is a very nice touch (they're seeing a film that deals with that part of the world after all). I like the color of the shoes and clutch; they provide a really nice contrast to the light grey of the dress. I also like that William's suit is complimenting his wife's attire (and it would seem that he actually has a suit that is not navy blue :D)

I like the African motif collar, but thought the sleeves were overdone and looked odd with the material showing below. I'd actually would have liked Kate in the color of the collar or similar since I'm tired of the bland look on her. I thought the shoes and clutch were too heavy in color against the light of the grey. I'm not blown away by this look; the collar and sleeves looked too fussy and heavy with the peplum style and as others have said, I miss some glamour at these premieres as well. I also think it's a one-piece dress since the zipper does extend a bit below the peplum. The less I say about her hair, the better, and although she did lighten the eye underliner it was too heavy on the lid.

Last edited:
Other than that, I think Kate looks good but I do agree with others, its the usual boring appearance, slouching along with hair & hands in front = very bad posture.

I like the overall effect - I like the gray suit - but would not have worn the tourquoise. Too, too 'heavy' for the suit and the venue - but its okay, interesting. Hate the shoes - but dislike all shoes like that - they are simply not elegant. A pox on the designer who came up with them and the celebrities who have worn them giving them cache.

While I wouldn't say she's boring - of the two of them she is the more engaging imo - but I have noted the posture and wondered if anyone else has noted it. Is this something new? Why is she slouching?

I'd actually would have liked Kate in the color of the collar or similar since I'm tired of the bland look on her.

I agree. She has not found her color palette, feels like. With her hair she could wear vivid jewel colors. Charlene of Monaco has a very spare elegant style using a buff palette that very much suits her - but it doesn't work with Kate. Especially on a windy, rainy, dark day in England - something in tune with that would have been interesting.

Last edited:
I love the way Catherine looked. Perfect for the event. She always looks lovely.

What a disappointment! The embellishment on the arms of the dress looked too bulky as did the neckline all tangled up with her hair. Whilst I loved the soft colour of the dress she missed the chance to give it a pop of colour and opted for grey and merging into the wallpaper.

Well, she could have except for the make-up. Move over Cleopatra, here comes Catherine with the very heavy eye makeup and the turquoise jewelled collar just like our Cleo. It was all just a little too much. Too much hair, too much makeup, to much embellishment on the dress, too much dove grey rendered dull by the dreary charcoal of her accessories.

The model for the original dress looked far better. A minimum of embellishment on the sleeves and none whatsoever at the neck, contrasting bag and shoes and hair that didn't obscure everything!

Matthew Williamson Pre-Fall 2012 Collection Slideshow on Style.com

^ I think it looks horrible on the model. The dress is too big and baggy on her frame.

Kate looks good. I like the jewels on the sleeves, but not completely sold on the color. It's a nice dress, but it's not one of my favorites.

I agree. She has not found her color palette, feels like. With her hair she could wear vivid jewel colors. Charlene of Monaco has a very spare elegant style using a buff palette that very much suits her - but it doesn't work with Kate. Especially on a windy, rainy, dark day in England - something in tune with that would have been interesting.

See I disagree. I don't think the color palette that Charlene currently wears suits her at all. The colors completely wash her out. In fact, I think Charlene has one of the most boring, repetitive styles of all the (younger) royal ladies.

But I do agree that Kate should add brighter colors to her wardrobe. She looks good in vivid colors (especially red).

Last edited:
I love the dress!
The whole look is ruined by the hair. I would've loved more younger, stripy heels.
Its greta to see Kate in Matthew Williamson, he has some amazing pieces. Cut & quality is great as well.

I like the dress the firts moment I saw it, it lokks wonderful on her figure and it's something different and new, love it.

^ I think it looks horrible on the model. The dress is too big and baggy on her frame.

See I disagree. I don't think the color palette that Charlene currently wears suits her at all. The colors completely wash her out. In fact, I think Charlene has one of the most boring, repetitive styles of all the (younger) royal ladies.

But I do agree that Kate should add brighter colors to her wardrobe. She looks good in vivid colors (especially red).

I completely agree. Charlene's beige Akris wardrobe has been a huge disappointment, particularly given she said her main aim as Princess was to bring fashion back to Monaco. She just wears a conveyor belt of forgettable colourless outfits. Which is sad considering she doesn't have any of the limitations on her wardrobe that the other Princesses do. The rich and infamous of Monaco won't care if she wears couture every day, whereas other princesses have to be mindful of the difficult economic environment in Europe at the moment and dress accordingly.

I like this dress, is fresh and more youthful that usual clothes chosen by Kate. Applications are great, I love turquoises. I'm starting to have enough peplum cut but this time is working, it gives Kate illusion of the hips. I would like to see different accessories, black is too dark and doesn't match to the dress, she has pair of gray shoes, it would be better choice. Kate's make-up has improved, finally we can see nice color of her eyes. Hair are horrible, flat on the head, straight around the face, stupid curls at the ends. Time to change the stylist and try something new.

I think Kate looks very elegant in that dress, I'm generally pretty fond of Matthew Williamson's dresses and this is no exception. And I definitely agree, it looks really bad on the model whereas it suits Kate way better.

I don't think she should change her hair...It's Kate's choice to have it longer from many years... so I think that she should keep it...only because she is a Duchess she should't change such a thing, she likes it before and now...I do think her hair is her "brand image"...:flowers:

The hair issue baffles me. To see her hair described as flat, horrible and with 'stupid curls' make me wonder if I'm looking at the same pictures. Her hair has body, looks incredibly shiny and healthy and really suits her.

She won't have hair like this for the rest of her life, she's right to enjoy having an amazing head of flowing hair as long as she can. We've seen her hair up before on many occasions and I'm sure we will over the course of the next 50-60 years also.

I'm not a huge fan of this dress. The cut and tailoring is beautiful, but I do not care for the big embellishments on the collar and sleeve. They are just too big. The color of the dress is nice, but again is ruined by the embellishments. And Catherine has lovely hair, but I wish she would have done a half up/half down style with the dress. Her make up in some pictures looks nice, in others it looks heavy. Overall there is nothing "wrong" with the look, it's appropriate and nice, I just don't care for that dress. Can't wait to see what's in store for the rest of the week.

I for one like the dress I guess, I also feel as if it was personalized with the arms and neckline beading. As for the way she holds the clutch I have also wondered that, it's always in front not at her side hmm.

I would love to see her wearing a beautiful handbag sometimes insted of a clutch but it seams that Kate is not very fond for handbags...:ROFLMAO:

I, (gasp!) liked the style of the embellished dress. It would have been better as photographed on the model, sans neckline trim, as there was too much competition going on with the trim and the "hair of Kate." All in all, though, one of her better looks.

It is rare to carry a handbag with evening wear. Most clutches have a chain strap that can be used or not. It is acceptable to place a small clutch on the table at your place setting, but if it has a strap of any kind, it has to go on the floor.

The hair issue baffles me. To see her hair described as flat, horrible and with 'stupid curls' make me wonder if I'm looking at the same pictures. Her hair has body, looks incredibly shiny and healthy and really suits her.

She won't have hair like this for the rest of her life, she's right to enjoy having an amazing head of flowing hair as long as she can. We've seen her hair up before on many occasions and I'm sure we will over the course of the next 50-60 years also.

She does have nice hair, great length and it does curl nicely but having it opened for every single event doesn't work well. She tends to wear her hair down even if her outfit has embellishments around the neck which is covered by her hair. In many pictures you see her hand in her hair which is also annoying.

Yes her hand in the hair it is not a good thing to see...someone should told her to avoid that...but she is learning...

She does have nice hair, great length and it does curl nicely but having it opened for every single event doesn't work well. She tends to wear her hair down even if her outfit has embellishments around the neck which is covered by her hair. In many pictures you see her hand in her hair which is also annoying.

But she doesn't wear it this way for every single event. We've seen her hair in all sorts of different styles. She obviously prefers to have it this way, but she has had her hair up and half up lots of times.

I also don't know when touching your hair became such a faux pas.

I very much like this Matthew Williamson outfit and the way it has been cut. I'd quite like to see her wear it for a day-time engagement.
I have noticed that this is not the first time Catherine has worn a peplum style - it certainly suits her figure very well and gives abit of shape to her hips.

Grey Amanda Wakeley dress this evening.

^And her hair is up. That should satisfy those that hate to see her hanging down all of the time.

I very much like this Matthew Williamson outfit and the way it has been cut. I'd quite like to see her wear it for a day-time engagement.
I have noticed that this is not the first time Catherine has worn a peplum style - it certainly suits her figure very well and gives abit of shape to her hips.

Yeah, the peplum style really does look good on her. It gives her a bit more curves.

EIIR, I totally agree with your last post about Charlene.

Last edited:
:previous: could this be the grey version of the oatmeal amanda wakeley dress she wore to the Royal Marsden in September... IIRC it was reported that she had bought it in grey and black at the same time.

Kate's overall looks good but boring. Im glad she pulled her hair to the back, looks so much nicer.

More pictures of the dress:
- Complete look 1
- Complete look 2
- Close up 1
- Close up 2
- Hairstyle
- Earrings

:previous: could this be the grey version of the oatmeal amanda wakeley dress she wore to the Royal Marsden in September... IIRC it was reported that she had bought it in grey and black at the same time.
Good eye! I'd say it's very possible. In fact, I'm almost certain it's the same one.
- The Amanda Wakeley dress (including a picture of the dress as worn by Kate)
- The dress in different colours, including grey (which looks very similar to the one Kate is wearing today)

Last edited:
It does appear to be the same version of the one she wore at the Royal Mardsen.

Kate Middleton Wears Amanda Wakeley To The Imperial War Museum | Grazia Fashion

Although I wish she would have worn a brighter color, I still really like this look. The white Amanda Wakeley dress has always been one of my favorites, so this dress is a winner for me. I also think her hair, earrings and makeup look really good. Out of the 3 engagements, this is definitely my favorite look.

Last edited:
:previous: I always thought she was so smart to buy this dress in all 3 colours as it is just a great fitting, flattering dress, that could be a great staple in her wardrobe. I do like that she jazzed up her hair and wore larger earrings than we have seen in a long time from her. I too wish there had been some color - if for no other reason, she is in a sea of grey suits.
but i quibble as I think she looks just lovely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom