The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear, Part 2: November 2011 - February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The woman is in a fashion rut. How many lace dresses does this make? Too many!

I think that dress is the perfect evening wear adaptation of what we've seen from many of her daytime looks. It's bothering some people because she's not following fashion rules to a T, but it doesn't matter... She's THE DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE...she sets her own rules, and I happen to love the look.

You're not wrong about the day/everning adaptation. If she is setting her own rules, I can only conclude Kate has little fashion sense. I'm glad you like the look, there is something for everyone. I don't think people are "bothered" but I do think there is disappointment amongst the masses (including me).

Although I like this back lace evening gown, there is something about the "v" seam that looks odd to me.

This may sound OT, but when I watched "Downton Abbey" last night, I really liked Laura Linney's lace dress, the host for Masterpiece. It was all black, but the upper chest, neck, shoulders and arms had open lacework against the skin. The lace portion with the solid fabric below looked wonderful and certainly not aging. If Kate worn a style like that with her hair up in an elegant style, she'd have really displayed the "wow" factor.

Last edited:
I have to say that I absolutely love Catherine's black lace dress - I think it is elegant and fits her figure wonderfully. I love the fact that she is causing so much controversy over what she wears, because it would be so boring if she stuck to expectations and everybody loved it! Lace is not to everyone's taste, in fact it can look like a very old-fashioned fabric - I wonder how many women would feel confortable wearing it themselves and whether this has a bearing on people not liking it!? It is, though, ashame that people have been disappointed and abit frustrated with Catherine's look, hopefully better outfits in the future will be all the more enjoyable!

Nice enough dress - then i read that the belt came off the outfit she wore to St Andrews last February which i though abit odd.

Normally i like Kate's hair - but to showcase the lovely lacework it would have been better up on this occassion or caught half back at least

You're not wrong about the day/everning adaptation. If she is setting her own rules, I can only conclude Kate has little fashion sense. I'm glad you like the look, there is something for everyone. I don't think people are "bothered" but I do think there is disappointment amongst the masses (including me).

Same here! Always the same hair, always the same make-up.
And I don't like the dress very much. She looks much older than 30!!
I think it's great that she is riskier than Princess Charlene most of the time (Charlene likes to wear black or beige) but her fashion sense could use some improvement IMO.

Yes I agree.Always the same hair and make up.

This may sound OT, but when I watched "Downton Abbey" last night, I really liked Laura Linney's lace dress, the host for Masterpiece. It was all black, but the upper chest, neck, shoulders and arms had open lacework against the skin. The lace portion with the solid fabric below looked wonderful and certainly not aging. If Kate worn a style like that with her hair up in an elegant style, she'd have really displayed the "wow" factor.
Laura Linney? You mean Laura Carmichael? She plays Edith.

The lace is not pretty, in my opinion. And the contrasting is too harsh. Combined with her loose hair and not-so fresh make-up, it's a bit of a let down. It has potential though. A open back, or something to show off the shoulders would, in my opinion, be better.

Laura Linney is the program's host on American Public Television.

The dress is growing on me. At first I did not like it but seeing it again this a.m. I think it looks very lovely. I've also noted that many of the runway looks have this "transparent" look about them so despite the comments about her not being up to date ... apparently she very much up to date. I do agree I would have loved to have seen her hair in a loose chignon. I am not much for up dos as I think most of them look very contrived and as if they are kept in place with super glue. :)

Laura Linney? You mean Laura Carmichael? She plays Edith.

Laura Linney wasn't an actor in the series, she was the host for Masterpiece that broadcasts Downton Abbey in the U.S. She introduced the characters and gave a brief synopsis of DA, and that was the outfit she was wearing that I described. Anyone on the forum watching this in the U.S. last night would know the outfit I meant.

Last edited:
I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the dress. Too much lace going on. I think a lacy dress should be left on a short one, like the blue lace she wore in Canada.

Same hair, same makeup... Boring.
And the dress just looks sad. Don't get me wrong black can be beautiful like the velvet looking one. And lace can be great too. But this dress is just wrong.

I don't understand why she keep that look all the time (almost).
Often we see other princesses wear the same dress three or four times, and still manage to look different every time because they change hair, makeup, jewels and so on...
The Duchess often manage to look boring the first time she wears an outfit IMO.

I don't think Catherine wants to be high fashion. If you are waiting on that I would advise not to hold your breath. Lets just enjoy her simple elegance. She will never be fashion forward.

Yeah that's a rut alright :note sarcams: Only thing I don't like is the hair, this is one time she should have tried something different.

Laura Linney wasn't an actor in the series, she was the host for Masterpiece that broadcasts Downton Abbey in the U.S. She introduced the characters and gave a brief synopsis of DA, and that was the outfit she was wearing that I described. Anyone on the forum watching this in the U.S. last night would know the outfit I meant.
Oh alright! I was so confused there. :ROFLMAO:

And I agree Duke of Marmalade. Then you scroll down and see Anne Hathaway and Claudia Schiffer and they wear their lace much better. They're glamour, Kate looked pretty good, but not glamorous. Jennifer Lopez, that's Glamour with a bang. Not the nicest dress, but glamour nonetheless.

Last edited:
I think that this dress was a fine choice for going to a movie about WW1. I think that a dress in a vibrant colour and/or with too much skin showing wouldn't have been appropriate.

Oh alright! I was so confused there. :ROFLMAO:

And I agree Duke of Marmalade. Then you scroll down and see Anne Hathaway and Claudia Schiffer and they wear their lace much better. They're glamour, Kate looked pretty good, but not glamorous. Jennifer Lopez, that's Glamour with a bang. Not the nicest dress, but glamour nonetheless.

Oh, I must disagree! I thought Schiffer looked terrible, why those ruffles bunching around her waist? Hathaway did look too bridal, red lipstick or not.
And I never have liked JLo in anything, she never looks classy.

But I think the DM got it right in their other choices.

I thought Jennifer Lopez looked awful and really don't care how she looks most of the time. I do in general like the use of lace, but in smaller quantities. Anything too much looks like a curtain, a tablecloth, a doily....take your pick!

The dress she wore to the " War Horse" premiere was not my favorite Cathrine dress, but the Duchess still looked amazing! A unique dress.

The dress she wore to the " War Horse" premiere was not my favorite Cathrine dress, but the Duchess still looked amazing! A unique dress.
Out of the DM list of those who got it right Anne Hathaway epitomised the way to wear lace. Lustrous dark brown hair juxtaposed with heavy cream lace, hair arranged to one side to emphasise the unique neckline, and ballerina length to give the whole look elegance. Mommy.

As for Catherine's lace curtains? What was going on with the saucy slit in the back from the neckline? That was just plain wrong!

The bottom up to the mid-section is nice, but then I see the top and cringe. That is one boring dress. The top should have been a different one, in my opinion. Atleast the structure. And I would add more of a pop. A belt, shoes, clutch. Anything to break all the grey.

:previous: I quite like this dress on the Duchess. My one complaint about her evening looks in general is that she isn't flattered when her shoulders are showing. This, however, is beautiful on her. She can wear a portrait collar and a double-breasted front like no-one else can!:flowers:

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, looked all right. However, a sleek straight hairstyle would have been a better choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom