The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear, Part 2: November 2011 - February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Far too much of the not very intricate and ageing lace pattern, the emphasized v-shaped seam below the hips disrupts the silhouette, and it's yet another look which does not benefit from those masses of hair being all over the place and cluttering every neckline, front and back.
Actually, it's a design which might have worked well on Catherine's mother-in-law.

I really love the skirt of the gown, where the dark lace and the material beneath are separate to one another. It makes the gown look different from every angle and also when in movement.

Kate seems to really enjoy lace, particularly dresses with a lace overlay. It's a style she's used several times now.

With regards to her hair. Kate has, all being well, another 50 years say of public events in front of her. A lot of the time her hair will be stuck under hats, hopefully propping up tiaras etc etc. She's still young, her hair is luxuriant and full and it has really become her trademark. If you saw a silhouette of Kate you'd know instantly who it was. There's plenty of time yet for her hair to be shoved to the top of her head. As it is I feel she should continue to show it off.

Although this dress wouldn't be in my list of favourites, it is a very different choice for Kate which I like to see. I agree with previous posters about the makeup - a very attractive look

Nay, the dress looks like a curtain. I think this is the worst of all her outfits so far.

I really love the skirt of the gown, where the dark lace and the material beneath are separate to one another. It makes the gown look different from every angle and also when in movement.

Kate seems to really enjoy lace, particularly dresses with a lace overlay. It's a style she's used several times now.

With regards to her hair. Kate has, all being well, another 50 years say of public events in front of her. A lot of the time her hair will be stuck under hats, hopefully propping up tiaras etc etc. She's still young, her hair is luxuriant and full and it has really become her trademark. If you saw a silhouette of Kate you'd know instantly who it was. There's plenty of time yet for her hair to be shoved to the top of her head. As it is I feel she should continue to show it off.

I agree that Kate should make the most of wearing her beautiful hair down while she's still young enough. However, we see it long and flowing all the time so that the trademark look is certainly recognizable but predictable, and I think a variation in hairstyle from time to time freshens that look. An updo at the appropriate occasion wearing a gown at a formal event would only enhance and certainly not detract from the beauty of her hair if done in an elegant style.

Last edited:
I think she looks fabulous! I think she purposefully avoids heavy amounts of jewelry (in light of the current uproar with Sophie, not a bad idea), and the lace adds an elegance and formality. Contrary to many previous posters, I love the cut ...it has a certain vintage quality that I find flattering. I
like the lace being loose at the bottom and a fuller skirt so that it drapes in varying folds. All in all I think a red carpet winner.

Old. Busy. Boring. And DO something with that glorious hair!!! :bang:

Hair/makeup are ok but I'm still trying to make-up my mind on the dress. I don't know if I like it or not.

MichelleQ2 said:
I think she looks fabulous! I think she purposefully avoids heavy amounts of jewelry (in light of the current uproar with Sophie, not a bad idea), and the lace adds an elegance and formality. Contrary to many previous posters, I love the cut ...it has a certain vintage quality that I find flattering. I
like the lace being loose at the bottom and a fuller skirt so that it drapes in varying folds. All in all I think a red carpet winner.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I think Catherine looks nice, but there's just a little too much lace. As Baroness of Books pointed out, if the skirt were solid, the look would have been an A+ in my book. However, it is a very original-looking dress, and Catherine pulls it off marvelously. I like the lighter eye-liner on the lower eye too. It makes her face look a bit softer.

Some additional pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Prince William & Duchess Kate: ‘War Horse’ UK Premiere! | Kate Middleton, Prince William : Just Jared

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media/jj1/20...iam-duchess-kate-war-horse-uk-premiere-04.jpg

its not my favorite gown but she looks good imo it would have been nice to see her hair in an updo

I completely agree. This dress is stunning and Kate wears it well. She is tall enough and slim enough to carry it off. I think the lace is different but the cut of the dress is simple enough to work with the lace and not against it. And it does indeed have a vintage quality that is refreshing. Other than her wedding dress, this is fast becoming one of my favorites.

I agree that Kate should make the most of wearing her beautiful hair down while she's still young enough. However, we see it long and flowing all the time so that the trademark look is certainly recognizable but predictable, and I think a variation in hairstyle from time to time freshens that look. An updo at the appropriate occasion wearing a gown at a formal event would only enhance and certainly not detract from the beauty of her hair if done in an elegant style.

But she has worn her hair up, on more than one occasion. She's worn it in lots of different styles. But, this is obviously her favourite style and the one she feels most comfortable with.

She's only really been doing this sort of thing for a year or so, and even then not full time. We go weeks without seeing her at all. I think a little more patience is in order sometimes.

I think the only time I've seen Kate wear her hair in a full updo was at the Canadian concert and when she had a pre-wedding lunch with the Duchess of Cornwall. Other than that, it's been the half-up, half-down look sometimes for evening which I personally never considered an updo since I used to wear my hair casually like that years ago when it was long. I used to call it the "getting my hair out of my face" look, and when I went out dressed in a gown I wore my hair completely up. All the rest in Kate's repertoire has been the long, hanging look both for daytime casual and for formal. My desire to see her wear her hair in a complete updo has less to do with patience, and I'm the most patient of people, and more a wish to have her vary the style and elevate her evening look. Be that as it may, her hair is her crowning glory and she has every reason to be proud of it and want to display it in a favorite style. But since Kate has seemed to heed advice about lightening her makeup, one hopes she'll consider the same about different hairstyles.

But, of course, we can always agree to disagree! :flowers:

Last edited:
The dress had to be all lace or no lace IMO. I think she looks lovely in it, but agree she could wear something more "youthful". As far as her hair goes, I love her hair, and it looked absolutely gorgeous when it was up on Canada Day at the evening concert, but if my hair looked as good as hers, I'd leave it down as well.

I love it. Her dress is classic and beautiful.

Her hair looks really nice but the dress really calls for hair up and not down. I do like her eye make up, heavy but not too heavy. The dress, undecided. For some reason it does look ok and looking at it again, I think it would suit someone who is older.

I really like the gown but see what you mean dazzling about the older person thing... but I think with the lace a bit loose it gives a younger twist. Like the makeup for once and wish she would trim that hair.

Far too much of the not very intricate and ageing lace pattern, the emphasised v-shaped seam below the hips disrupts the silhouette, and it's yet another look which does not benefit from those masses of hair being all over the place and cluttering every neckline, front and back.
Actually, it's a design which might have worked well on Catherine's mother-in-law.
Ouch! Oh how I wish it were not so but sadly, this is yet another missed opportunity. The cut and line of the dress is totally obscured by all that hair . . . again! Instead the look was closed in, dark and claustrophobic.

Nay, the dress looks like a curtain. I think this is the worst of all her outfits so far.
Now I thought this was a little harsh so I dug out the family photos and snap, what do you know, there was virtually nothing between the lace patterns except the colour.

Old. Busy. Boring. And DO something with that glorious hair!!! :bang:
Yes indeed, more of the same old, same old! And most people even missed her beautifully elegant earrings that, along with a chic up do, could have really rocked the Red Carpet, not to mention taking years off rather than putting them on.

The Vintage lace look could have been so cool with Catherine's graceful long neck displaying the cut and shape of the shoulders and neckline, her delicate earrings sparkling beneath a chic, romantic up do and creating a long elegant sillohette. . . . but instead it just looked fussy, dark and claustrophobic! :sad:

Kate does look very chic and elegant here. However I would have preferred this lace gown to have had a darker lining. I think the contrast is too much here. Still a lovely design though. Almost reminded me of an old Hollywood look which definitely called for a classic hairstyle.

Last edited:
Her hair looks really nice but the dress really calls for hair up and not down. I do like her eye make up, heavy but not too heavy. The dress, undecided. For some reason it does look ok and looking at it again, I think it would suit someone who is older.

Kind of agree here. Same old, same old with the hair. Not really liking the dress because its more suitable for Camilla, as some other posters say (on the other hand, Kate doesnt look 30 but rather 40 years) but I agree with Queen Penelope, its either all lace or no lace.

The dress looks like a patchwork of different styles that dont go together.

I love lace dress, Catherine looks very beautiful.

I don't like the dress. The lace is not nice and the white body of the dress makes it so busy. Too much going on in my opinion. And yet again with the hair, do something with it.

She must love lace dresses. I do like the dress, however I think she looks good with almoust everything because of her body and her beautiful face, she looks gorgeous with this dress, I like it so mucht!

I don't like this dress, nothing special for me, lace's pattern is ugly and adding Kate few years. Belt is out of place IMO, especially velvet one. Same boring hair and strong make-up. For me one of the worst outfits of her. Pity, cause she has potential, possibilities to wear really good designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom