The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear, Part 1: June 2011 - November 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks really fresh and glamourous,I also like the way she wears her hair:)
It might look a little bit revealing in comparison with everyone else at this event because they were wearing rather conservative clothes,but if you have a nice body why don´t show it?
Seriously,she looks like a nun compared to what some women wear on "Dancing with the Stars"...
I don´t like this whole Catherine-bashing,one time she´s too skinny,another time she´s too bold,than she wears dresses that look like nightgowns....?! Of course everyone should feel free to critisise but try to stay polite and respectful,even if you don´t like her or her middle class upbringing!Remember other people also look at you and rate your appearance/fashion/work and I´m sure you would also like them to talk to you in a friendly way....

I love the color, shape and style of the gown, but not the double straps. Single ones would have been better, in my opinion. Her hair and earrings were gorgeous. Overall, well done, especially for a last minute engagement.

Thanks for the story, Royal Newbie. I hate when these tabloids rush to publish misinformation just for the sake of printing a story and even though they now amended it, it would have been better if it was correct to start with!

Perhaps that's why she prefers her hair to be down so that the scar is less obvious?

Loved last night's dress! Cathrine looked stunning!

Perhaps that's why she prefers her hair to be down so that the scar is less obvious?

I think you may have just hit the nail on the head. Maybe she just feels more comfortable and confident with her hair down.

:previous: Well, it looks beautiful this way and I hope the revelation about the scar doesn't prevent Kate from wearing this style anymore. It's barely noticeable and no one would have known if that photograph didn't show it.:sad:

Last edited:
Given the other attendees' outfits, the Duchess of Cambridge looked all right. There is something unsophisticated about the whole look.

Last edited:
I love the dress and hairdo. She looked good.

Given the other attendees' outfits, the Duchess of Cambridge looked all right. There is something unsophisticated about the whole look.

I think Kate's appearance was very unpretentious. Simple, yet elegant and suited her perfectly. This is not a woman that dresses to stand out in a crowd or create any kind of shock waves.

This is one of my pet peeves...when a garment is described as 'vintage' when it is only from 2006, it is only 2011 now!!...a 5 year old dress is NOT vintage...it is old, yes, from a few seasons ago, yes, but not vintage...Vintage should mean an original garment from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, etc that is vintage...her grandmother-in-law would have some authentic vintage...

Kate looks beautiful as always;) and I love how she manages to create simple yet elegant fashions.

I love the dress, the color, the style, but not on her. IMO if you have bones and ribs showing, you should cover up, or have a major diamond necklace helping you out.
Her hairstyle is absolutely brilliant and flattering, however and just about saves it!

This is one of my pet peeves...when a garment is described as 'vintage' when it is only from 2006, it is only 2011 now!!...a 5 year old dress is NOT vintage...it is old, yes, from a few seasons ago, yes, but not vintage...Vintage should mean an original garment from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, etc that is vintage...her grandmother-in-law would have some authentic vintage...

Yes, I have the same objection - that vintage is not a number you can count on one hand but items that are decades old. Misuse of this word, IMO.

I think the dress and Kate are not the best combination. Seperately both are beautiful but together they don't seem to fit. A dress like this needs to be worn by a woman with at least some curves. The Duchess is very skinny. It simply does not look good on her.

Not everyone is bulky you know. She is just thin get over it. It's getting a little old. I thought she looked lovely. I have a dress that looks similar though not nearly the same and I don't think of it like a night gown. She looks lovely. By the way, this type of dress isn't meant to accent curves per say. It looks how it is supposed to look. That's how mine and everyone else I've seen wearing dresses of that style look. She looks pretty and i love her jewelry.

Exactly,just because the fabric is flowy and white doesn´t mean it looks like a nightgown!I love the strap-detail,it looks nice and special in my eyes...the silhouette is good because it makes a beautiful figure and she doesn´t look skinny with this style.From all the dresses I remember she´s been wearing after her wedding this is probably the most daring one because it shows a little bit of skin around the shoulder and cleavage,but it´s not too much IMO. Of course someone might argue that a princess needs to wear conservative,high-necked dresses all the time (which would bore me to death) instead of trying to be fashionable.I guess one way or another-Catherine is never going to please everybody so she should just be confident and wear whatever she feels comfortable in :)

I think you may have just hit the nail on the head. Maybe she just feels more comfortable and confident with her hair down.
:previous: Well, it looks beautiful this way and I hope the revelation about the scar doesn't prevent Kate from wearing this style anymore. It's barely noticeable and no one would have known if that photograph didn't show it.:sad:
I think you have all nailed it. Perhaps Catherine has been self-conscious about it being seen. It would explain her fixation on having her hair falling down her face.

Baroness, I think that now we know that what we, or more correctly the tabloid cameras, saw was actually a scar and not the "dreaded hair extensions" the story is now a non-event. It is old news and would irritate the readers rather than titivate. Truth be told, I bet the tabloids are miffed that it is not hair extensions and therefore curtailed many, many inches of sniping coloums now, and in the future!

But overall I was impressed at such composure for a "first solo", and even more impressed that she managed to pull off such an impressive look on such short notice. I loved the dress. It is not something I would wear but it suits Catherine's personality perfectly. I love the way the skirt falls as it accentuates her femininity and detracts from her slim frame.

Her hairstyle was lovely and was the perfect compliment to the style of her gown. Her jewellery added the finishing touch. Elegant and sophisticated, the earrings framed her hair to perfection whilst the bracelet completed the outfit. Any further jewellery would have clashed with or overwhelmed the beading on the shoulder straps and bust line of the gown.

The only negative, if one could call it that, was her height. Perhaps next time she will remember that she is tall and really high heels accentuate that and leave her peering down on a large proportion of older guests. I am guessing it is age that is relevant as I don't remember her towering over guests at her previous engagements, but I could be wrong!

Last edited:
Baroness, I think that now we know that what we, or more correctly the tabloid cameras, saw was actually a scar and not the "dreaded hair extensions" the story is now a non-event. It is old news and would irritate the readers rather than titivate. Truth be told, I bet the tabloids are miffed that it is not hair extensions and therefore curtailed many, many inches of sniping coloums now, and in the future!

But overall I was impressed at such composure for a "first solo", and even more impressed that she managed to pull off such an impressive look on such short notice. I loved the dress. It is not something I would wear but it suits Catherine's personality perfectly. I love the way the skirt falls as it accentuates her femininity and detracts from her slim frame.

Her hairstyle was lovely and was the perfect compliment to the style of her gown. Her jewellery added the finishing touch. Elegant and sophisticated, the earrings framed her hair to perfection whilst the bracelet completed the outfit. Any further jewellery would have clashed with or overwhelmed the beading on the shoulder straps and bust line of the gown.

The only negative, if one could call it that, was her height. Perhaps next time she will remember that she is tall and really high heels accentuate that and leave her peering down on a large proportion of older guests. I am guessing it is age that is relevant as I don't remember her towering over guests at her previous engagements, but I could be wrong!

Marg, I totally agree with what you've said about Kate's appearance and deportment. And the scar is a non-issue and barely noticeable, as I had mentioned, and it would be ridiculous of the tabloids to try to beat a dead horse, let alone attempt to resuscitate it. So many people do carry scars for a variety of reasons. But I just wouldn't put it past the tabloids that now they've stumbled on something that occurred in Kate's past (albeit distant), they'll try to sensationalize it with their usual incisive and accurate spin on things.:whistling:

Last edited:
Thanks for the story, Royal Newbie. I hate when these tabloids rush to publish misinformation just for the sake of printing a story and even though they now amended it, it would have been better if it was correct to start with!

And really, what would be the terrible crime in wearing hair extensions?

I can't see why she'd need them with her long hair, but so what if she did?

:previous:None whatsoever since many women use products and other aids to add volume to their hair, but you almost get the impression that the tabloids felt they found the secret to her lush mane - horrors, HAIR EXTENSIONS :eek: - and were ready to capitalize on that, perhaps by claiming that her enviable hair isn't all her hair. Unfortunately for them, the small matter of the scar put the spanner in the works. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story! Anything they could dig up to possibly portray her negatively. That's just how I see it, that's all.

Last edited:
In the name of law,everyone stop wearing hair extensions! *lol* Really,I think some people just get a lot of satisfaction out of critisising every detail of what Catherine is wearing or doing...I don´t think there is any reason to stop using everything available to enhance your beauty if it makes you feel better and more at ease with your body and general appearance.There´s a huge pressure on women to look perfect all the time.Men don´t get even half of this scrutiny and it´s ok if they step on the red carpet unshaved with sloppy clothes or a chubby body-this is really unfair and not beneficial to any woman´s self-consciousness who wants to be seen as more than just decoration...Everyone of us makes fashion faux-pas or looks bad sometimes -we should try to be less hard on people who are constantly being photographed and followed and be happy that we are not the only ones having issues with make-up,wardrobe,hair etc....

blauerengel said:
In the name of law,everyone stop wearing hair extensions! *lol* Really,I think some people just get a lot of satisfaction out of critisising every detail of what Catherine is wearing or doing...I don´t think there is any reason to stop using everything available to enhance your beauty if it makes you feel better and more at ease with your body and general appearance.There´s a huge pressure on women to look perfect all the time.Men don´t get even half of this scrutiny and it´s ok if they step on the red carpet unshaved with sloppy clothes or a chubby body-this is really unfair and not beneficial to any woman´s self-consciousness who wants to be seen as more than just decoration...Everyone of us makes fashion faux-pas or looks bad sometimes -we should try to be less hard on people who are constantly being photographed and followed and be happy that we are not the only ones having issues with make-up,wardrobe,hair etc....

Amen! Men don't deal with nearly the same kind of pressure and I think it's petty to tear apart women for the slightest physical blemish.

I think Catherine looked lovely, I was surprised with the high heels only because it forces her to look down and so many of the guests to look up. I understand at her age the preference for high heels but maybe she could reserve the higher heels for other events when she will not be constantly conversing with people, especially older people who tend to be shorter. I do think she looked very elegant and composed. How nice that the POW asked her to step in for him.

She was really lovely. dress, make up, hair, everything.
As regards the high heels i think it is very difficult NOT to wear high heels with an evening gown. It creates a kind of assymetry.
As regards the hair extensions story it is sooo stupid. You seesee that tabloids have really nothing "crunchy" to sell on her.
Saying "OMG !! she wears extensions!!!" is so stupid like if they said "OMG she wears skin foundation and lip gloss".
Really an empty new!
I presume that next step for tabloids is to find out WHAT kind of operation she had.
I already imagine them to interview kindergarden palls...

Last edited:
Mirabel said:
And really, what would be the terrible crime in wearing hair extensions?

I can't see why she'd need them with her long hair, but so what if she did?

Yes..so what if she did?? Hair extension used appropriately could create sensational looks. Queen Silvia of Sweden and her tiara hair came to mind!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom