The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 9: June 2012 - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
the jeans are way too skinny, and kate is way too thin. :ermm:

She dresses too old, she dresses wayyyy too old, oh my god, she dresses way too young. Where's the young look, she dresses badly for a royal, it's inappropriate, and finally, it doesn't meet "my"" dress code.

I'm exhausted - she knows what she likes and she wears it well. No stylist, no loans, no gifts. I LOVE IT.

:previous:
The very purpose of discussion boards is to exchange opinions.
Not all people are going to like Kate's outfits and/or makeup all the time. :)

Don't disagree but this is my opinion.

Don't disagree but this is my opinion.
Which I respect. :flowers:
And as a matter of fact, I quite agree with you on today's outfits; I thought the dress was lovely, and the jeans seemed entirely appropriate for the event.

The jeans are very British - "on trend" for her age group and figure.
If I was half my age and half my size I'd be wearing them lol.

I loved the dress and shoes from the early event. Catherine looked cool and professional. The torch event was another matter. Everyone says those pants are skinny jeans but to me they look like regular leggings. If you are jogging or running a marathon in cold weather or in the privacy of your home, they are fine. At a public event they are in the worst possible taste and the wedges make it even worse.

If I was half my age (I would be a little younger than Catherine) and her size, I still wouldn't be caught dead in those jeans/leggings, whatever they are.

I loved the dress and shoes from the early event. Catherine looked cool and professional. The torch event was another matter. Everyone says those pants are skinny jeans but to me they look like regular leggings. If you are jogging or running a marathon in cold weather or in the privacy of your home, they are fine. At a public event they are in the worst possible taste and the wedges make it even worse.

If I was half my age (I would be a little younger than Catherine) and her size, I still wouldn't be caught dead in those jeans/leggings, whatever they are.
ITA it's just too revealing.

Maybe its a difference in culture between the UK and the US, but they are very trendy for young ladies in the Uk and not considered revealing. I have also seen them being worn by young ladies in Manhattan last week so maybe it depends where you live.

Very trendy and in good taste are two different things. IMHO the electric blue leggings are too tight.

Im six years younger than Kate and wear skinny jeans and very occassional leggings but to me the electric blue Zara skinny jeans worn at the torch relay are too skinny for a public event. They are quite revealing and it doesnt matter that Kate has the figure to carry them off and is young but these in my opinion just arent right. I think you can tell thay are cheapish jeans

Very trendy and in good taste are two different things. IMHO the electric blue leggings are too tight.

You may not like the fashion which is ok but to say that they are not in good taste is, IMO, going too far. Let's leave it that it is a matter of style

I was brought up (in a large city by the way) with the idea that it is better not to show all of your assets. That hinting at your figure is much better than letting everything show. Those pants leave nothing to the imagination and I am sorry if you don't like it but I do feel they are in bad taste. I am just expressing my opinion. You have every right to express yours and we don't have to agree.

I think it's funny, though, that Kate usually dresses demurely at public events but then not so much with these jeans. Wow! I don't think she looks bad; it's just a surprising choice especially with the sky high wedges. I am so excited to see her day after day...lots of outfits in the offing!

The dress is ok...not crazy about the shoes.

As far as the bright blue pants...I honestly thought she was wearing leggins or some sort of lycra type jogging pant....way too tight. When the pant wrinkles like that it's too tight. Again, not crazy about these shoes either.

LaRae

I don't get Catherine at all. To me her leggings were just plain vulgar. I don't care if they are on trend or not, vulgar is vulgar and that back view is just that! As to the dress, while it looks fresh and summery it also looks too high in the waist, sort of unbalanced.

But, the issue I have with Catherine's clothing is that she is becoming just an unpaid model as they tout the make and price of the dress and the make and price of her shoes. Yes, there are lots of sheep out there that will buy anything that Catherine wears but that doesn't make it elegant, well made or even attractive. It just makes it cheap!

Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton sports £35 dress from Hobbs in countdown to Olympic Games 2012 | Mail Online

That is not a headline to be proud of. It just cheapens the whole Royal Family. I don't expect her to wear designer clothes just becaused they are more expensive. I don't even want her to wear "designer" clothes at all as it just feeds into the "show pony with a price tag" effect. I just expect a modicum of modesty and dignity from a very public new face in the BRF.

I agree with those that say the jeans/leggings are a bit on the tight side. I've seen women here in Manhattan wear pants like that, and it doesn't always look nice, especially if the top is a bit on the shorter side. I think with a flowing, longer top they look just fine. However, I, personally won't wear something that tight and revealing to an official/semi-official function. I will say that I think Catherine has the figure to pull these off, and looks quite fabulous. Ballet flats would have probably worked better too.

That said, I do own several pairs of skinny jeans and I love them with my boots or ballet flats. I try to pair them up with a top that's not too short, just to be safe.

I have a questions. Does GB have a tall miss clothing industry. We have a great selection in the US. That is what Catherine needs. Then things would fit better.

I think there is a wide variation in attitudes towards dress depending on where one lives. IMO, calling something vulgar is a bit over the top, much is in the eye of the beholder. :) I see women everyday wearing things that I would not be caught dead wearing but I think we need to be careful about some of the value judgements. At least if we can include and "IMO" it would help. Even in the States there is a wide range of acceptablility in what is appropriate depending on the region. Something acceptable in the northeast might well be frowned upon in the south. I grew up in a city and became accustomed to a certain "code" if you will and I still have difficulty when I see people in a city dressing as if they are on a picnic or at the beach. Catherine is able to wear a lot of things that other people should not wear simply because she is slender and can get away with it. I've seen women in dresses much more covered up who, IMO, look vulgar simply because for their body type their choice is far from the best.

I don't have an issue with the jeans. A little tight, but I think European notions on vulgarity and revealing too much are different from ours. But then again, with some of the garb I see women Catherine's age wearing here in the southern U.S., she looks like a Victorian model.

I think she's wearing the 35 pound dress because of the outrage expressed by the common man over that 49,000 pound necklace the other day. Poor Kate can't win!

I don't have an issue with the jeans. A little tight, but I think European notions on vulgarity and revealing too much are different from ours. But then again, with some of the garb I see women Catherine's age wearing here in the southern U.S., she looks like a Victorian model.

I think she's wearing the 35 pound dress because of the outrage expressed by the common man over that 49,000 pound necklace the other day. Poor Kate can't win!

Very true; no matter what she wears, she comes in for criticism.

I've liked some of her outfits but not others. However, I'll say this for her: she always is dressed appropriately for the occasion. JMO.

Last edited:
Brightly colored skinny jeans are popular/trendy in the US too (or at least parts of it - certain styles take a while to make their way throughout the country, and some never do at all). While I like the style and the color of her jeans very much, I really think the fact that she's so skinny is what makes them look perhaps a bit revealing. The style is one I'm very familiar with, but seeing them on such tiny thighs made me do a double-take! Mind you, I don't think they were inappropriate, but they do seem a bit "off".

Im sorry but I dont like those skinny jeans/jeggings for such an event.
I also think those pants need a slightly longer top. I would've liked it if she wore the teams track pants or a plain skirt/pants.

I agree. I think the jeans are a bit too tight, they even look uncomfortable. :eek:

I also thought the jeans looked silly with the platform wedgies.

But I liked the summery gray print dress...I just don't think it was necessary to let everyone know how cheap it was. It was an obvious ham-handed effort to counter bad press over the expensive and gaudy(imo) Olympic necklace.

Last edited:
How charming! The more I see of Kate the more I like her. (i am becoming aware how much she physically resembles her father in the face!) The grey dress was great - watched her playing table tennis and the dress seems to be of a silky fabric, rather shiny. Looks comfy anyway. Would not have worn a belt - don't know what that was about as the style clearly accounted for the front in a design way - would have been nice to see that.

For once - and I'm surprised - her make-up seemed okay. I didn't see heavy underliner.

Wedge shoes look uncomfortable. I've tried them on and imo they are not wearable and don't look attractive. Don't like seeing wedgies on anyone.

Unfortunately, the leggings emphasize her exceeding thinness. Very unattractive - that attenuated form. Doesn't even photograph well - ironically.

Totally unattractive look for the torch arrival photo op.
It's a good thing that a word has been invented that sounds just as tacky as this legwear looks in order to define the garment which needs to be avoided by any means - 'Jeggings', indeed... Cute only up to the age of 12, a tad vulgar beyond.
Perhaps Kate had misunderstood, thinking that she was supposed to grab the torch and run a couple of miles towards the stadium? But nah, the ghastly wedges speak against that.

I totally hate the skinny jeans and I don't lioke the top though I get that she has to wear Olmypic gear but she does not look great IMO and she should!!!

Count me in the camp who think the "jeggings" are borderline vulgar and bad taste. Of course they are trendy and the average young girls wears them but Kate is neither the average young girl nor supposed to be a trendsetter.

By wearing such outfits Kate is only inviting the press to speculate on her body or photograph her legs and beyond whenever she is out and about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom