The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 8: April 2012 - June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although it is a pretty shade I didn't like the dress when she wore it to the Jubilee lunch and I still don't like it.

I don't want her to be a dolly bird or a model but, ye Gods, her choices, IMO, make her seem far older than she is. Is this really how young women of 30 years old in her circle dress. ? :eek:

I thought that the hat looked ridiculous.

Good to see her recycling though.

Was surprised to see Kate wear this pink dress again - not because she only wore it a few weeks ago but more cause to me it looks quite heavy and a warm outfit and the weather this past week or so in the UK has been hot. I would have prefered the Duchess repeating one of her many Canadian tour outfits which are more suited to the summer garden party

Was surprised to see Kate wear this pink dress again - not because she only wore it a few weeks ago but more cause to me it looks quite heavy and a warm outfit and the weather this past week or so in the UK has been hot. I would have prefered the Duchess repeating one of her many Canadian tour outfits which are more suited to the summer garden party

I suspect we will see some of the outfits from the Canadian tour in the coming months. I suspect she will need quite warm clothes for the coming weekend as it is meant to be a max 12 degrees on Saturday!

It s strange To see her with the same dress within two weeks...but the dress is really lovely, a bit too formal but lovely...,

Hmm, don't know I still dislike the skirt of this dress. Though it definitely looks better this time with the hat.

the hat is beautiful! i think it's a nice match to the dress, which i liked the first time during the luncheon. very appropriate.

I don't want her to be a dolly bird or a model but, ye Gods, her choices, IMO, make her seem far older than she is. Is this really how young women of 30 years old in her circle dress. ? :eek:

Probably not, but then again none of Kate's 30 year old friends are future queens performing public duties with their husband's family which includes the reigning sovereign and her heir. Her friends can wear whatever they want, Kate doesn't have that freedom.

I like the dress, it's not my favourite but it isn't a disaster, a very elegant and appropriate dress. It's wonderful to see her recycling and I really liked the hat.

Probably not, but then again none of Kate's 30 year old friends are future queens performing public duties with their husband's family which includes the reigning sovereign and her heir. Her friends can wear whatever they want, Kate doesn't have that freedom.

I quite agree EIIR with what you say here. Most 30 year old women and men I know (including me and I'm 40) dress like teenagers trying to prove something - what that something is is anyone's guess but it is likely to be something along the lines of trying to look like celebrities. Catherine on the other hand is ROYAL and a FUTURE QUEEN and both of these situations require her to wear a certain standard of dress sadly lacking elsewhere in our society......and my wardrobe.

If we go back a generation, Kate's would-have-been mother-in-law was also criticized for dressing older than her age. She was also 10 years younger than Kate. However, the wardrobe worked for her. I think that Kate's presenting an image of a mature, serious, professional 30-year-old who doesn't want to attract more attention than those higher-up the pecking order. The fact is, she could wear a shroud to public events and look young and glamorous next to the Duchess of Cornwall and The Queen. When she's alone or with William--as she was when she wore the long teal dress--she can ramp it up as much as she likes.

Nice to see the pretty neckline of the dress with the hair back. Needed a necklace or brooch, IMO. Hat served its purpose to keep the hair back, but pretty ugly, at least not like one of Sophies

I loved her outfit yesterday. A brooch would have been nice, but regardless she looked beautiful. I would totally wear that ensemble!

Exactly. I have seen a great deal of commentary all over the internet criticizing Kate's wardrobe as matronly. IMO, she is dressed appropriately as the future Queen. I'm sure Her Majesty approves of her wardrobe.

Exactly. I have seen a great deal of commentary all over the internet criticizing Kate's wardrobe as matronly. IMO, she is dressed appropriately as the future Queen. I'm sure Her Majesty approves of her wardrobe.

And there are some people who are her age that dress very similar to her. Everyone has a different style. She really doesn't seem that matronly to me. She dresses appropriately for her age and position in my opinion. There are some 30 year olds who need to grow up.

Very interesting article.

In two words my personal opinion is that Diana would be glad with Kate. First of all, because Diana adored her boys, and Kate is the love and the hapiness for William. And secondly, Kate's choice is the result of what Diana always wanted for her kids. A normal, down to earth, happy life. A modern royalty, concious of the actual situation of the world.

And there are some people who are her age that dress very similar to her. Everyone has a different style. She really doesn't seem that matronly to me. She dresses appropriately for her age and position in my opinion. There are some 30 year olds who need to grow up.

Correct. Her way to dress is first of all appropriate to her role and future role, and I believe THIS is her main though when she dresses. Being stylish and modern comes after.

I would say that some opposites, like a 40 CP Letizia, dressed in knee-short jeans pants, or in sportish jacket in Army day, this is NOT appropriate for a future Quuen, even if it is modern.:bang:

Last edited by a moderator:
fandesacs2003 said:
Correct. Her way to dress is first of all appropriate to her role and future role, and I believe THIS is her main though when she dresses. Being stylish and modern comes after.

Very true.
And it is as I, and probably many more, would dress if we were in her position.

I would say that some opposites, like a 40 CP Letizia, dressed in knee-short jeans pants, or in sportish jacket in Army day, this is NOT appropriate for a future Quuen, even if it is modern.:bang:

I must read / post on the Letizia fashion page. She can get it beautifully right or dreadfully wrong at times.

Kate, I don't think, will get it wrong. But, IMO, surely one can dress for the occasion without looking years older than you actually are.

On another forum that I belong to we were comparing pictures of Kate and Mary of Denmark. We all agreed that Kate could easily be Mary's age. !!

I must read / post on the Letizia fashion page. She can get it beautifully right or dreadfully wrong at times.

Kate, I don't think, will get it wrong. But, IMO, surely one can dress for the occasion without looking years older than you actually are.

On another forum that I belong to we were comparing pictures of Kate and Mary of Denmark. We all agreed that Kate could easily be Mary's age. !!

Honestly, I'd say it's all everyone's point of view and matter of opinion. We are never going to agree on this or any subject totally. Because Kate's style is very similar to what I would where, I don't find her old, boring, or frumpy and I'm no where near Mary's age and it's younger than Kate. In watching Kate for years, she hasn't really changed her style or who she is. I actually really like that. She's just being who she is. Fashion is a top priority for her and I don't think it should be. It's not her job to be an icon. That's just my opinion though and others will disagree.

Last edited:
:previous: Well, that is partly due to genetics. Kate can't do anything about the fact that up close, she is quite raggedy (meaning her complexion needs some intensive work), but she is very pretty from a distance. Mary has excellent skin and it has been taken care of.

There are many men and women who look 20 years younger than they really are. It is just a fact.

Anyway, comparing one person to another is kind of, well, mean.

In watching Kate for years, she hasn't really changed her style or who she is. I actually really like that. She's just being who she is.

I'm really glad that you posted that, Anna Catherine. I haven't been watching Kate for years and had wondered if she had changed her style because of the position she found herself to be in, i.e. serious girfriend, fiancee and finally wife of a future King.

While I may not like a lot of what she wears I have to say that I, too, admire her for being true to who she has always been. :flowers:

I'm really glad that you posted that, Anna Catherine. I haven't been watching Kate for years and had wondered if she had changed her style because of the position she found herself to be in, i.e. serious girfriend, fiancee and finally wife of a future King.

While I may not like a lot of what she wears I have to say that I, too, admire her for being true to who she has always been. :flowers:

Yeah I've watched her since the press first discovered she was his girlfriend waaaaaayyyyyyy back when they were still in college sooooo...:D. I've always enjoyed keeping up with her and her clothes;)

:previous: Well, that is partly due to genetics. Kate can't do anything about the fact that up close, she is quite raggedy (meaning her complexion needs some intensive work), but she is very pretty from a distance. Mary has excellent skin and it has been taken care of.

There are many men and women who look 20 years younger than they really are. It is just a fact.

Excuse me. ! You see two ladies side by side and it is mean to say "gosh, but Mary and Kate could be the same age".

You are the person who was fairly descriptive as to how you view Kate and Mary. Now, your description of Kate was horrible.

That's a great line! They all get it beautifully right or dreadfully wrong at times. Some more than others, of course!!! :whistling:

I think Kate does get it beautifully right, but she's new to the game. Give her time.... (and I love Kate for her ordinariness, but one day she will turn up in a fright - look at Crown Princess Mary's Ode to the Worst Gown of 1970 which she wore the other night. Never would have expected that!

I admire Kate because she does not seem to need to go beyond "ordinary." She does her own makeup, and her own hair, and her own shopping. And while that means she is no glamour queen, it also means she's not a narcissist about her appearances.

(..)

The Kate Middleton Look Book -- The Cut

So a HUGE thanks to Mystiblue for this. I love this lookbook because I remember so much of it. It goes all the way back to 2005 when she first appeared. There are even a couple pictures I haven't seen (which is saying something)! I am way too excited about this but here you go. click to begin the slideshow. It starts with her most recent appearance and goes back. YAY!!!

Last edited:
Two hats worn by the Duchess of Cambridge tipped to fetch £1,500 at auction... though experts say estimate could be smashed as Kate fans clamour for Royal souvenir

Over the last year she has become the nation’s favourite style-setter. But before her marriage to Prince William, the Duchess of Cambridge used to hire her hats. News of the then Kate Middleton’s thrifty ways emerged yesterday as two stylish hats worn by her were put up for auction. The first was a black and white disc-shaped Philip Somerville creation made out of straw, with a woven horsehair brim and feather plumes, that she wore to great affect when her boyfriend joined the Order of the Garter at Windsor in June 2008.

I'm 27, so when people say Kate's wardrobe is matronly, I ask myself would I or my friends wear what she's wearing. 90% of the time the answer is yes. I would've happily worn that pink dress from the garden party at a wedding, or something similar. One of the few times I've thought that I wouldn't wear what Kate's wearing was when she and William visited St Andrews. To me, that outfit was too old for her.

Kate must be the only woman capable of being criticised for being matronly, and yet also get criticised for having what people describe as too-short hemlines and plunging necklines.

EIIR, I'm sure you'd have looked beautiful in Kate's pink dress and would have accessorized it nicely with a lovely scarf or piece of jewelry. I personally liked the dress, but I felt it aged her a bit. I think if any one of us wore it, though, we would have personalized it to our own tastes and maybe given it a different spin on the look. And, actually, I loved the red suit on her at St. Andrews; she's so suited to bright colors.

Excuse me. ! You see two ladies side by side and it is mean to say "gosh, but Mary and Kate could be the same age".

You are the person who was fairly descriptive as to how you view Kate and Mary. Now, your description of Kate was horrible.

I'm sorry I ruffled your feathers, but the fact remains that Kate does not have good skin and it ages her.

I also have to laugh at Kate being described as too matronly and then on her next outfit her skirt is too short. I also agree that 85% of the things Kate wears I would also wear as well, including the recent pink dress. Most of what she wears is far from matronly, but she is never going to he Victoria Beckham with her style because she never gave much thought to fashion when she wasn't royalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom