The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 7: March 2012 - April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is sooooooo comical. Some of us "attack" how Kate (a complete stranger) looks and then you attack some of us (complete strangers, again) who are only thinking outloud. Are you Kate's cousin or something. You take it so personally. If you are related to Kate (or a friend of hers), please pass on our constructive criticisms to her.

BTW, she has been quite glam this week.

I'm glad you find me amusing. I'm not related to Kate, I don't know her at all. I hope, however, that I could be relied upon to point out when any woman is compared to a clown or a panda. In doing so I'm not attacking anyone, merely pointing out that it's pretty sad behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I've spend too much time looking at celebrity events but when I think cake on make up I don't think of Kate or any royal ladies

My fave celebrity makeups

She does look like a very modest panda when she applies too much eye-liner though... Don't take it to heart.

And yes Miche, the best make-up are those on women on the runway and celeb events. But the difference is, is that it gets applied by professionals.

I didn't say they wore the best make up. Looking at that link, some of the close up of the celebs is what I think when people say cake on make up

Oops, my bad haha. I don't find any of the ladies in the link you posted having caked on make-up. I was thinking more like Courtney Stodden. But that's preference.

The Duchess of Cambridge Amost always dresses and wears make up way more appropriately than Sarah Fergusson ever did, Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Zara, Princess Letizia, Princess Stephanie, Princess Martha Louise and much nicier to my eyes than Princess Anne, Princess Letizia (daytime fashion) and Princess Mathilde; even better than my favourite princesses Maxima and Victoria. As a matter of fact, I think she only doesn't have the wow factor (which can be a good and also a bad thing) Diana and Caroline once had - and no other noble woman has that right now. Princess Mary and Princess Charlene also do have a style that appeals to me.

For what it's worth, I think she looks lovely....very tasteful and appropriate for the occasion. If anything, Kate is proving that she is a regular gal....sharing clothes with her mother and wearing earrings that once belonged to Princess Diana (a lovely remembrance that seems to have been lost here). Isn't that what daughters do? She is always appropriate to the occasion with emphasis on the charity she is visiting or the role she is playing (passing out Shamrocks to the Irish guard) and never tries to steal the show with her wardrobe. Well done Duchess!

She looks very lovely in that blue dress!

The nicest piece of fashion was that garish orange/purplish bracelet - which can be purchased for US $11 online and is a fundraiser for the charity - let's hope the Kate-effect results in some serious fundraising through bracelet sales thanks to her wearing the bracelet.

Now there are mixed reports on whether that was an identical copy of her mom's dress she wore or actually Mrs. Middleton's dress. The bracelet was a great touch as well.

Now there are mixed reports on whether that was an identical copy of her mom's dress she wore or actually Mrs. Middleton's dress. The bracelet was a great touch as well.

There's also the report that it was Mrs Middleton who borrowed the dress off Catherine in the first place, not vice versa. When it comes down to it, they've both worn the same dress on different occasions. Personally something I would never ever do.

JMO, but I think mid-calf length looks terrible on anyone!:eek:
It's almost guaranteed to make a woman look dowdy and middle-aged.

(Yes,I do believe Sarah Chatto looked frumpy at the royal wedding).
The mid calf would be for a very light weight fabric that you would wear with flat shoes to a picnic or some other casual event. Doesn't look frumpy on anyone because the fabric. It would look summery and cool.

On Twitter, some of the royal correspondents are saying that Carole borrowed the dress from Kate, not the other way around.
Which ever way it is - I think it looks better on Catherine than her mother. Looking at the pictures of them side by side, it doesn't look like they wear the same size. Catherine looks like she is several sizes smaller than her mother. No offense to Mom.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the colour of the dress, but apart from that I have no strong feelings either way on today's outfit. Ultimately though, given the topic of today's speech, the fact that the press is choosing to focus on what Kate was wearing is pretty sad.

The mid calf would be for a very light weight fabric that you would wear with flat shoes to a picnic or some other casual event. Doesn't look frumpy on anyone because the fabric. It would look summery and cool.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this, because I think that is a look very unflattering for anyone. I have never seen a single example where that length looked good.

She Looks Very Very Beautiful , I Like Her Outfit She Looks Elegant & Chic

I love the color but I think the dress is too big on her. Her first speech was very well done.

Mid calf skirts....good gawd no! I agree that the look is atrocious. I've seen the older royal ladies wear them sometimes and they never look good. I think the thing I liked the most about today's outfit were the shoes, she's worn them before and I love the height of the heel as well as the fabric of the shoes.
As for this idea that she looks like a panda, I must also be watching too much American tv because Kate doesn't look anywhere close to the panda look that I have seen. The actress most associated with it is Taylor Momsen from Gossip Girl.

Last edited:
No, let's not revisit mid-calf lengths, please. That look has to be retired along with shoulder pads!:eek:

Last edited:
When it comes down to it, they've both worn the same dress on different occasions. Personally something I would never ever do.

I believe the thought was: is there a colour connected to the occassion or place of the event? (Like Green for St. PatriK's day)
Yes it is, it's called Ipswich Blue (her husband knew for sure as he possessed a shirt in that colour).
Is this colour available at the moment? Not really, but it used to be some years ago.
Let's have a look at our wardrobes, then.
And there it was.

Of course Catherine knew that the media would trace the garment's "history", but I believe this gave her a good chuckle, when she imagined what the media would find out. For there is a message in it: I'm not a clothes horse, I am a recycler, I am borrowing clothes when they are right for the context of my visit. Listen to me and stop seeing me as a fashion plate.

At least that's how I can imagine she might have thought.

I believe the thought was: is there a colour connected to the occassion or place of the event? (Like Green for St. PatriK's day)
Yes it is, it's called Ipswich Blue (her husband knew for sure as he possessed a shirt in that colour).
Is this colour available at the moment? Not really, but it used to be some years ago.
Let's have a look at our wardrobes, then.
And there it was.

Of course Catherine knew that the media would trace the garment's "history", but I believe this gave her a good chuckle, when she imagined what the media would find out. For there is a message in it: I'm not a clothes horse, I am a recycler, I am borrowing clothes when they are right for the context of my visit. Listen to me and stop seeing me as a fashion plate.

At least that's how I can imagine she might have thought.

It makes good sense to me. Her clothes are selling out almost as soon as she wears them it seems and how nice is it that Kate can send a clear message to women everywhere that in order to look good and look totally right for an occasion, you don't have to break your piggy bank. The label does not make the outfit. Good quality clothing is not made to be worn once than shoved into the back of the closet.

She does choose her wardrobe carefully for where she goes but its always struck me that she takes far more time focusing on where she's going rather than what how she looks.

Now that I've seen so many more pictures I must say that the dress was rather hanging on her. I still like the style and color. It's not "wow" and I honestly don't expect that. Either she dresses very girl-ish or very understated/conservatively. However, I think her mother did "fill out" the dress better. Kate could wear lower heels for things like planting trees too - she IS a tall woman already and other women of her size or even smaller (like the Queen for example) women within the BRF don't wear such high heels either...

Um, yes they do. Have you seen the heels that Sophie, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie have worn? They are the same size has Kate 4"

I believe Dierna23's point is that BRF who perform royal duties (i.e. not Zara, Beatrice, Eugenie, etc) do not wear high heels. If you look at Anne, Sophie and Camilla they wear shoes with slightly lower heels. From what I see Sophie tends to wear high heels at social occasions (of course not every time). Of course there is an age difference, and for any female poster who is in their late 30's and beyond...you know what I am talking about. I used to be able to wear all kinds of shoes now I look at young ladies and say....my feet hurt just looking at her!

Of course Kate can and is probably comfortable in wearing the heels she does, and frankly I see no need to lower her heels just because she is tall. She should hide her height because people are shorter than her (and I am 5' 2"). I don't think so.

I don't think she should either. If tall women can wear high heels than short women should never wear flats. Both of them are ridiculous notion, women should wear whatever the please no matter there height.

Every time I look at Kate bending down or wielding a shovel in those stilettos, I can't imagine how she's not wobbling and overbalancing on those high heels. Years of practice, I suppose, but I don't think I could possibly ever do that, not even in my younger days! Good for her that she can do this.

Last edited:
It not difficult to stay steady/balance on high heels

She already gets criticised for being too conservative and dressing 'too old'. Now people want her to wear calf length skirts and low heeled shoes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom