The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 7: March 2012 - April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Enchanting - this is real retro 1940's styling and I love it! She could be out of Brief Encounter!!!

Overall she looks fine. In general, however, I wish she would change up her hair style a bit. Pull it up and back ... alot of flowing hair for such a little hat. I would prefer that she wear a large picture-type (I think that's what it's called) of hat ... she's certainly tall enough to pull it off.

As for the haters on this board ... really?

Beautiful, well dressed, poised... What more can someone ask for?

Not a thing I don't like about this outfit!! She looks great supporting HM and The DoE.

I like the L K Bennett dress but the way she has pulled the jacket of the outfit in with the belt doesnt work for me. Personally im not a fan of the pendullum style of jackets/dresses. Like the hat reminds me of others she has worn she most like this small box style
I have to agree about the style. I've never been a fan of this cut. Other that that, she looks lovely. The Queen looks absolutely fabulous though! Love the pink on her majesty.

I like the general style of the dress and the jacket. However, not to be mean, but it didn't look quite right on Kate. I wouldn't want to start the whole "too thin" debate, but the dress just accentuated how thin Kate's frame is. The dress was supposed to be figure-hugging, but it literally hang loose on the Duchess.

I think it was an excllent outfit for the occasion she did not overshadow the Queen but looked pretty and fresh.IMO But even better had she tired her hair back. I liked her makeup and the little bag was cute.

Better pictures
full view
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/08/article-0-12145B37000005DC-208_634x873.jpg
back view
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/08/article-2112023-1214937C000005DC-75_196x686.jpg
close up
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/08/article-2112023-1214A827000005DC-951_306x423.jpg

Sorry, this outfit is not for me. It screams AIR HOSTESS, the frills & ruffles & colour make it very old-looking for me (incl Kate, there is nothing youthful or fresh about her), the short skirt doesnt save it.
Good Grief!!!

This is, IMO, the most appropriate (and flattering) outfit Kate has ever worn for daytime. This look would stand up to almost any woman in sophisticated clothing anywhere (perhaps, even Sheika Mozah). Kate looks smashing!
I quite agree with you 100%. She looks wonderful..........and I certainly would love to be built like her again as I was during her age!

This is a common dig at Carole Middleton, who once worked as an air hostess.
(Apparently it's low class to work for your money, instead of inheriting it). ;)
You made me laugh!!! Yes there is a double standard, isn't there. Look up the quote made by Prince Philip sometime in reference to wives that don't work and ladies of the evening. The man is a hoot.....not that I agree with him 100%.....but he does speak his mind.:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
I also wore a similar peplum suit back in my 20s in a teal wool material, one of my favorite suits, but not with a belt which I thought looked too heavy for today's look. This is a wonderfully retro outfit, completed by the perky little hat and very nice clutch. I'm so glad she pulled her hair back; it looked lovely streaming down her back and so suited the hat and overall style. And she wore light hosiery, thank goodness. Kate really made a glamorous appearance today, deferring to the Queen in color but definitely standing out on her own.

Last edited:
She looks very nice. I don't always like the type of hat she wears, but I like her look!

This is, IMO, the most appropriate (and flattering) outfit Kate has ever worn for daytime. This look would stand up to almost any woman in sophisticated clothing anywhere (perhaps, even Sheika Mozah). Kate looks smashing!

Totally agree! Absolute perfection and well chosen to put the focus of attention on the queen as much as possible. Best appearance yet. She has polished her role and her presentation. Well done duchess!!!

She looks chic. I like it. It's not as stiff or shapeless as the previous outfit.

Totally agree! Absolute perfection and well chosen to put the focus of attention on the queen as much as possible. Best appearance yet. She has polished her role and her presentation. Well done duchess!!!

I cannot agree this is Kate's best look. Normally, I am a keen admirer of her style; however, this particular look didn't appeal to me.

Nothing against the colour (that I actually loved). But the outfit in general was ill-fitting and unflattering. And perhaps most importantly, it was too short.
Now, I strongly disagreed that the previous outfit was short but this one most definitely is. It was especially obvious when Kate was sitting and while getting out of the car.

Last edited:
I loved this outfit (the teal one)! It's classy and has a nice "flair" to it.

i love this outfit and think it is a nice addition to her working wardrobe... although i have to admit in some images (like the one here) she does channel a bit of Robin Hood with her hair pulled back and the jaunty angle of her hat.

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot agree this is Kate's best look. Normally, I am a keen admirer of her style; however, this particular look didn't appeal to me.

Nothing against the colour (that I actually loved). But the outfit in general was ill-fitting and unflattering. And perhaps most importantly, it was too short.
Now, I strongly disagreed that the previous outfit was short but this one most definitely is. It was especially obvious when Kate was sitting and while getting out of the car.

Yes, that thigh-high photo was definitely a "whoops" moment. Isn't there a particular method of emerging from the car? I thought royal ladies were taught to sit on the edge of the seat and swing their legs out in unison. I think Kate would have had difficulty anyway given the position of the seat to the opening.

Last edited:
I like it.I like the color and the hat.She looks ok.

Kate looked fantastic today.I personnaly don't think the suit was too old for her.The blue coat she has worn recently was too old for her imo but not today's outfit.
Her hairdoo is also nice.Make-up seems better today.

Yes, that thigh-high photo was definitely a "whoops" moment. Isn't there a particular method of emerging from the car? I thought royal ladies were taught to sit on the edge of the seat and swing their legs out in unison. I think Kate would have had difficulty anyway given the position of the seat to the opening.

I think that's partly a problem with the State Bentley. It was custom made for the Queen, so that she could more or less stand up straight when getting out. Now, Kate's considerably taller than HM so she has to stand up and then bend down to get her hat under the arch of the door. That would lead the skirt to ride up a bit.

And unfortunately a photographer was right there to record the rising moment!

Last edited:
Catherine looked really nice today. I liked the teal color of the jacket/dress, I liked her accessories and the fact that she did change her hairstyle even if it was ever so slightly.

I think when she goes full-time she should consider a stylist to help her out at least get a good base of clothes which she could then add to, a makeup artist and a good repitoire of ways to style her hair. I think she is cautious of appearing to change to soon but at some point I think she will have to make adjustments. :flowers:

Perfect choice. Pretty but also classy and respectfull towards the Queen.

I think that's partly a problem with the State Bentley. It was custom made for the Queen, so that she could more or less stand up straight when getting out. Now, Kate's considerably taller than HM so she has to stand up and then bend down to get her hat under the arch of the door. That would lead the skirt to ride up a bit.

That makes complete sense and would certainly explain the awkwardness of the shot :) And I doubt she's ridden in the State Bentley before, so she wouldn't have known to plan for that. It's the only shot in which the skirt looks too short- when she's standing, it's right above her knee.

That makes complete sense and would certainly explain the awkwardness of the shot :) And I doubt she's ridden in the State Bentley before, so she wouldn't have known to plan for that. It's the only shot in which the skirt looks too short- when she's standing, it's right above her knee.

She's been in the State Bentley once - when they went to Fortnum & Mason last week. But, on that occasion she sat on the fold down seat that faces the back of the car. It's right next to the door so all she'll have had to do was swing her legs round and get out. Today, Prince Philip was in that seat and let HM and Kate have the ones facing forwards - as any gentleman would ;).

The shoes, as ever, look too clompy and the skirt is a bit cheap and tight looking. As usual she looks alright but nothing more. But then I don't think she's trying to be really fashionable anyway, it's sections of the media who call her a style icon because that is what THEY want William's wife to be and she has no control over that.

:previous:You can say, because I thought the same thing! Thanks for the photos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom