The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 6: December 2011 - March 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
Welcome to Part 6 of
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion

You can find the old thread here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

Happy Posting!
:flowers:
Royal House of Fashion Moderators

Catherine looks pretty. The coat is good: nice colour and I like the neckline. The shoes are fine too. I'm not sure about the hat. The overall looks is lovely

Side view ** Close up 1 ** Close up 2 ** Details of the hat

Some might think the hat is silly but i think the opposite, its quite a fun hat and Kate wears it well. This color is prettier in this style than the black she wore previously.

The coat is beautiful cut and color wise. This is a color that Kate wears well.

Here is about Kate's outfit
http://whatkatewore.com/2011/12/25/kate-in-aubergine-for-christmas-day-services/

Last edited:
Kate's hat is by Jane Corbett. That's her website: Home

I'm not impressed by this designer, compared with Treacy (not everyone's cup of tea either, I know) these hats look rather frumpy and cheap, IMO...

I liked this outfit on Kate. The colour suits her skin tone really well.

I liked how the colour kept it modern but the outfit itself was classic and therefore more suitable for a church service than something more fashion forward.

The hat is silly but having said that, British royals, especially Camilla & Sophie, wear a lot of silly hats. I like the coat, the colour is very nice.

The colour of the coat is great, but I don't like its lenght...
The hat, well it does look silly, but maybe not on her.

The colour of the coat is great, but I don't like its lenght...
The hat, well it does look silly, but maybe not on her.

Just curious, but what length would you prefer?

It seemed just right to me not too long or too short. I personally thought there were three ladies who would have looked much much better with more length on their coats.

^^ I agree with rsfc149. I like the colour but not the length. To me it could be a bit shorter. The perfect lenght, to me, would be like Zara's.

Princess of Durham, if you are refering to Eugenie, Beatrice and Autumn, I don't think their coats are too short. Eventough, I prefer Zara's lenght, Beatrice and Eugenie are very young and have nice legs, so I prefer it short than long. A lenght like Catherine's would make them look way too old. About Autumn, her dress has a totally diferent cut. That kind of coats never look good if they are long. Considering her bump is already big I think it was a good choice.

^^ I agree with rsfc149. I like the colour but not the length. To me it could be a bit shorter. The perfect lenght, to me, would be like Zara's.

Princess of Durham, if you are refering to Eugenie, Beatrice and Autumn, I don't think their coats are too short. Eventough, I prefer Zara's lenght, Beatrice and Eugenie are very young and have nice legs, so I prefer it short than long. A lenght like Catherine's would make them look way too old. About Autumn, her dress has a totally diferent cut. That kind of coats never look good if they are long. Considering her bump is already big I think it was a good choice.

This is where I would disagree. I thought Autumn looked horrific. Being pregnant does not mean that you have to look the way she did. A more subdued coat of a little longer length would have looked much more flattering. As to B & E, I would agree B has nice legs, as to Eugenie ... best she covers them up a bit, just because someone is young does not mean that it is always flattering to wear certain things, that is an excuse, IMO, that many young woman make. There are older women with great legs that look wonderful in a slightly shorter length and then there are some young women who as I said, would do better to cover up a bit. Eugenie needs to find a style that is a little more slimming. She is more than "curvy" IMO.

The coat of many colours...

So far, I have seen Catherine's coat described as maroon, burgundy, violet, wine, aubergine, mulberry, boysenberry, and mulled wine.
I vote for mulled wine.

I must admit I always find fashion threads rather amusing since it seems a woman can never win, at least in the eyes of other women. As a man I assume most women look at themselves in the mirror before leaving the house and think to themselves that they look rather good. Do the women posters here ever assume that other women are looking at you when you are out and about and thinking "Oh her hair isnt very nice" "her coat is too short or too long", "don't like that color on her", "that hat isnt right", "her legs arent very good, she should cover them up". With all that judging going on I am amazed any of you ever leave the house, although it does explain why it seems to take forever for the ladies to get ready to go out no matter how much notice is given.

I must admit I always find fashion threads rather amusing since it seems a woman can never win, at least in the eyes of other women. As a man I assume most women look at themselves in the mirror before leaving the house and think to themselves that they look rather good. Do the women posters here ever assume that other women are looking at you when you are out and about and thinking "Oh her hair isnt very nice" "her coat is too short or too long", "don't like that color on her", "that hat isnt right", "her legs arent very good, she should cover them up". With all that judging going on I am amazed any of you ever leave the house, although it does explain why it seems to take forever for the ladies to get ready to go out no matter how much notice is given.

Thanks for saying this, NGalitzine. Women can be very harsh and judgmental about other women, particularly about those who are young and attractive.

Actually :flowers: I very much judge myself. I just happen to believe that making blanket statements that because of a certain age people are OK to do certain things. On the contrary, if a woman has great legs at 60 + I say "show them off" (within reason) but I can honestly say that I am probably more critical about what looks good and what doesn't regarding myself and I actually think a lot of women are like that. I would agree that to be nasty, and completly ungenerous, as some women are, is uncalled for .... but I do indeed wish/hope for a glance in the mirror. And if the legs ain't great .... don't flaunt 'em. :lol:

ETA, I would agree about the unkindness of women toward younger ones, that is precisely why I think Catherine has taken such a beating in the press and by some posters. It seems she can do no right while others can do no wrong.

I feel like every woman should have a 3 way mirror at home.

I feel like every woman should have a 3 way mirror at home.

LOL. Well I think what I was saying was that you all probably think you look great when you leave the house, but apparently other women will be looking at you and disagreeing regardless of your age. The only difference between yourselves and the Duchess of Cambridge and the other Windosr ladies is that probably no one is going to be writing a commentary on your choices in the morning tabs or on the interent although in the age of twitter and facebook I guess that may not be true either. Perhaps a chic burkha might be the answer, one look for all.

Last edited:
I've heard that the fashion philosophy, at least in the case of jewelry or accessories, is to take a look in the mirror and remove one item so as not to overdo it!

Last edited:
LOL. Well I think what I was saying was that you all probably think you look great when you leave the house, but apparently other women will be looking at you and disagreeing regardless of your age. The only difference between yourselves and the Duchess of Cambridge and the other Windosr ladies is that probably no one is going to be writing a commentary on your choices in the morning tabs or on the interent although in the age of twitter and facebook I guess that may not be true either. Perhaps a chic burkha might be the answer, one look for all.

A Turnip under a burka ... is still a turnip. :D

Do the women posters here ever assume that other women are looking at you when you are out and about and thinking "Oh her hair isnt very nice" "her coat is too short or too long", "don't like that color on her", "that hat isnt right", "her legs arent very good, she should cover them up". With all that judging going on I am amazed any of you ever leave the house, although it does explain why it seems to take forever for the ladies to get ready to go out no matter how much notice is given.

Lololol so true! I'll admit that when I first stumbled upon these Royal fashion threads I got a bit freaked out...I started to wonder if people were constantly scrutinizing my attire - should have worn black tights, should have worn better shoes, should have thrown away that dress, etc.

After spending too much time lurking in the fashion threads, I found myself criticizing what the people around me were wearing - wake up call, clothes are not that important. My view is that if it's is appropriate - doesn't matter if it's ugly, ill-fitted, the wrong color - it's completely fine in my book :)

I think Autumn looked fantastic in her coat, and there was nothing wrong with what Beatrice and Eugenie were wearing. I also didnt mind the length of Kate's coat, but that might be because I was distracted by the hat.

Kate's hat is by Jane Corbett. That's her website: Home

I'm not impressed by this designer, compared with Treacy (not everyone's cup of tea either, I know) these hats look rather frumpy and cheap, IMO...

You just hit the nail on the head, and you've been too kind... This hat is so comical and let's not talk about its quality. Reminds me of the hats I've seen during Carnivals in Italy and Cyprus, to be honest. :)ohmy:)
Catherine herself looks pretty though.

Why on earth would Kate pair a cranberry hat and eggplant coat? Not saying she wasn't appropriately attired, but WHY? She looks extremely tired and aging fast.

I actually liked her hat quite a bit- I didn't like that style on her at Remembrance Day at first, but I eventually came around to it, and I liked this one right away. The style looks less severe in that color, and I think it was appropriately festive.

I actually thought this was a pretty successful outing for her, fashion wise

Is it just me or do I get the impression that when it comes to hats, the style of the BRF is a bit too much???
Maybe they got to much Ascot on their mind :lol:

But I liked the rest of the Catherine's outfit especially the colour!

Matching hats

Why on earth would Kate pair a cranberry hat and eggplant coat? Not saying she wasn't appropriately attired, but WHY? She looks extremely tired and aging fast.

I didn't notice any of the women wearing matchy-matchy hats, except, of course, HM. Catherine has decades of wearing HM-like fashion ahead of her, so she will probably continue to mix and match for a bit.

Liked the colour of Kates coat - but not so sure of her hat not really to my taste

Name that color

How about adding "plum" to that list?:lol:

US magazine has called the color both plum and magenta! And KittyAtlanta has used eggplant and cranberry to describe. Who knew there were so many ways to describe what my grandpa would have called 'purple'?

I got your point on the colors but I did not see the cranberry hat and eggplant coat odd together, so I think they complemented each other well even though they are not identical colors. If you notice the hat has the out line color is in between after all I did not see it weird :flowers:

I like the coat but not the length of it :flowers:

Last edited:
The hat and coat may not match identically, but they're in the same color palette so I thought they complemented each other well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom