The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 6: December 2011 - March 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duke of Marmalade said:
Close ups of the coat, not sure if this was posted as yet:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/01/article-2108587-11FD8FF5000005DC-139_310x440.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/01/article-2108587-11FD907D000005DC-487_310x440.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/01/article-2108587-11FD9071000005DC-969_310x440.jpg

The quality doesnt look very good in the close ups to be honest, certainly not what I would expect from an expensive Missoni coat.

Maybe thats why Missoni says it isnt theirs, they could be silent but chose to deny because people could look at Kate's coat and think, wow, THAT is Missoni (in a negative sense) :whistling:

I agree, the coat in those pictures looks cheap. I'm glad she wore a bright colour though.

I just found this close-up and I have to admit I am impressed by the improvement in her makeup. No Panda Eyes!!!!!

Actually, her make-up and hair look rather lovely and the blue-gray colour of her coat suits her skin tone very well. The trim definitely picks up the colour of the shoes she was wearing.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xii1MDlOv...s1600/duchess-kate-fortnum-mason-store-02.jpg

I agree about the make up - the eye-make up has improved and it looks quite lovely. :flowers: Now a little less blush and not so much dark powder for the eyebrows and it will be pretty perfect for her I think.

After having seen so much more pictures I have to say that I really like the outfit from yesterday. I missed a handbag, but all in all (no matter if the fabric looked a bit cheap in close-ups or not) she looked quite classy/professional and I like the colors on her. Especially the daffodil was a nice addition.

As to Missoni or not - I agree that the hemline looks a bit too sloppy for the brand maybe, but I wonder if this certain article claimed it was not Missoni because Kate had been criticized on a few pages/forums for not wearing a British brand? :p It reminds me of the scar story that I never really bought...

I think the coat is designed that way, to have those sort of distressed seams.

Can I just say how truly horrible and unnecessary I think it is for photographers to try and take pictures up Kate's skirt and for the Daily Mail to zoom in and publish them?

Well, if the coat dress would have been a bit longer it would have been more tricky for the photographers to take such rather unflattering pics. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it is not true that Missoni denied. I do not think that Missoni would lie!
And it is not cheep, it is made on purpose.
Another perfect appearance for Catherine.

:previous: OK, love the colour but OMG I didn't see the close up edges. How utterly ghastly, cheap and nasty. If the supposed designers deny all knowledge let alone sale of the garment I can only think it is because it is so incredibly badly finished. Even the "distressed" look requires a finish and that back shot looks terrible . . . . and too short!

:previous: OK, love the colour but OMG I didn't see the close up edges. How utterly ghastly, cheap and nasty. If the supposed designers deny all knowledge let alone sale of the garment I can only think it is because it is so incredibly badly finished. Even the "distressed" look requires a finish and that back shot looks terrible . . . . and too short!

But obviously it is a genuine M Missoni coat, as a spokesperson for M Missoni meanwhile told the media that it was created by them and they are happy that Catherine wore it. So it seems the details are there by purpose - and the overall look was good, wasn't it?

From the link above - an update:

UPDATE: A spokeswoman for M Missoni has just confirmed that they did make the coat and are delighted that Kate Middleton chose to wear it. So why did Missoni deny it made the coat? The spokeswoman told us that Missoni and M Missoni are separate and have completely different manufacturers, and believes “there was simply some confusion with the press this morning.”

Well, if the coat dress would have been a bit longer it would have been more tricky for the photographers to take such rather unflattering pics. ;)

Are we to expect that men are just so incapable of resisting a shot of a woman's thighs so it's the woman's responsibility to keep them covered up? That's so wrong and, as a woman, makes me slightly sick.

The length of Kate's coat was fine, the problem is the photographers are idiots and disrespectful.

It seems that nowadays the photographers try to take pictures like that to expose on purpose every pore on young royals in search of possible flaws. Those pictures show details that only a person inside on's private space could see (a person who is only 3 fingers away from your face). It is perverse and unfair. I have seen a picture of Sophia's leg showing a swollen vein and I thought it was disgusting. They haven't dared to do that to elder royals yet and I hope that stays so.

I agree, the coat in those pictures looks cheap. I'm glad she wore a bright colour though.

my dear duke, this is not looking cheap or cheap quality, this is design. Its minimalism and its great.

It seems that nowadays the photographers try to take pictures like that to expose on purpose every pore on young royals in search of possible flaws. Those pictures show details that only a person inside on's private space could see (a person who is only 3 fingers away from your face). It is perverse and unfair. I have seen a picture of Sophia's leg showing a swollen vein and I thought it was disgusting. They haven't dared to do that to elder royals yet and I hope that stays so.

Plus I hope that Catherine is not photographed in public in the next time doing something else which can be dubbed "Italian" like eating icecream or so. Because then the DM or others have three occasions to point out that Catherine is not "fond of Britishness" - her dog's name, her Italian coat dress and whatever comes next...:D

I mean it is absolutely okay IMHO to wear such international brands like Prada, Dior, Missoni, Lagerfeld etc. in addition to British designers. Her Wellies are French, aren't they? As long as she shops for her stuff in Britain, it means economy for the UK, no?

Oh, I sometimes wish that Beatrice would start designing clothes, Catherine would model them, a Royal company produce them and that the money (after paying a nice designer's salary to Beatrice) they make could go to charity... I bet then anybody would be full of praise for the princess' ability for designing.

EIIR said:
Are we to expect that men are just so incapable of resisting a shot of a woman's thighs so it's the woman's responsibility to keep them covered up? That's so wrong and, as a woman, makes me slightly sick.

I could not agree more. The coat was appropriate and not at all short, and it was incredibly rude of the photographers to try and look up her dress.

I would love for Catherine to wear some of the new designs with the longer skirt in the back. That would foil the slime bag photographers. :lol: It iis so nice to see her interact with children and bend over to them ... she cannot always bend her knees to their level and it is a very endearing quality she has.

I like the shade of blue, but otherwise I'm not keen on the coat.
However, I will say that Kate never looks inappropriate- which, imo, is more important than looking fashionable.

And wearing that daffodil was inspired!

Re: "frayed" coat, The reporters are always searching for an angle to an otherwise pretty dull outing.
If you look at the image of the hem of the coat, where you see the lining stitched in, that's no cheap coat.
It's the first thing she's worn I'd like to buy, I'm searching M missoni next!
Agree about shoe height, she really should tone it done when with HM.
Overall, a great appearance, pretty color for her skin tone and MUCH better makeup!

I liked the outfit, from a distance. About the length...we know that the press cuts her no slack. It is therefore Kate's responsibility to avoid unwelcome photographic shots.

:previous:But, you know what, if she started wearing her skirts longer they would start calling her dowdy and dressing too old for her age. Let's face it, she can't win. The best thing she can do is just "keep on, keepin' on" and ignore the idjits. Just MO, of course. :D Otherwise they would have her dancing like a marionette with them pulling the strings ... and they would love it.

I liked the outfit, from a distance. About the length...we know that the press cuts her no slack. It is therefore Kate's responsibility to avoid unwelcome photographic shots.

How can she avoid unflattering photographic shots? It's hard to control what angle the camera is at, and sometimes bending over or crouching down is unavoidable, especially if talking to a person in a wheelchair, or a young child. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm simply curious.

I don't think her coat was short, it was a nice length for the style. Any longer would remind me of dress & skirt lengths Camilla & the Queen wear.

I really love Kate's style. She brings a young, new look into the mix. It's really refreshing. She has a great sense of style & makes this coat look fabulous!:flowers:

I think perhaps Kate should try her best to bend all the way down instead of just bending slightly at the knee; photographers today are just too disgusting to be trusted and they will try to look up her skirt.

This is just like the warning in Catholic school we girls heard when I was a kid: never wear patent leather shoes because boys will use them to look up your skirt!:brows:

Last edited:
I love the shade of blue the duchess of Cambridge is wearing, and I love the shoes and I also find that those style shoes are classic and

While Kate doesn't wear things that have personal appeal to me, she is indeed very chic and fashionable. Most young women who are into fashion don't wear things that I would wear! The M Missoni coat (there are several branches of Missoni design, apparently) is an interesting piece. It is difficult to choose a coat that will be utilitarian and long lasting (she will wear it again and again, obviously) that is also stylish and says something new. The distressed look is intriguing and that part I liked. I am also really into blue combined with other shades and indeed, it really sets off her skin tone and hair color.

I thought that Kate dressed in such a way as to totally avoid any fashion-upstaging of the other two women. The Queen was, to me, the most noticeable of the trio with her brighter colors and expected style. In fact, to me, the coat was designed to not grab attention from a distance.

And the makeup issue is pretty much resolved, for me. She has switched to matte powder eyeliner (does she read our comments???) and that makes a world of difference. I like the brows, again, she's designing her face to be seen from a distance and without well defined brows, she would look very different to the photogs.

Anyway - good job!

I thought Catherine looked lovely. The color is fantastic on her. It was an appropriate outfit for an outing with the Queen and Camilla. Although I think Camilla could have done better. I also liked Catherines make up. It looked more subtle.

It strange but it seems as the BRF are the only ones who wear the nice coat dresses plus the hats. Is it just a British thing?

IMO I think Catherine got the look just right. Firstly because as so many have commented, she didn't upstage the Queen yet still managed to look elegant (the wearing of the daffodils instead of a brooch was also well judged), secondly because the finish of the coat lended something fresh and young about the outfit and thirdly with such a great pair of legs she sure knows how to make the most of showing them!

Yes, it was a smart move by Kate to wear fresh flowers rather than a brooch. I don't know if anyone advises her or she thinks of these ideas herself, but she certainly makes the right choices.

The length of Kate's coat was fine, the problem is the photographers are idiots and disrespectful.
Posters on this forum also love to post and discuss such photos so let's not blame the photographers. They are merely producing what people want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom