The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 6: December 2011 - March 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice look, colors suits Kate. Make-up is too strong, eye-liner is scary, but hair looks ok, better than last time (less styled I think). I wish she would not touch them so often.

She Look Very Nice & Elegant as always I love Her Outfit And I Like The Black Dress under The Coat I Really Like Her Very Much In THis Event She Look Gorgeous I Like The Video She Seem Very Kind :flowers: Thanx For Posting Duke of Marmalade :flowers:

Last edited:
Love the coat,classy look.
Please do your nails.
Grow out abit.

I like the style of the coat, colour not so much. And not a fan of the all black underneath. Again with the hair down, she just looks plain.

I'm surprised that she wears so much black, as I thought it was a color that royalty avoided except in mourning. I guess she is making her own way...I thought the whole outfit was a bit too subdued but she looks so darn good in everything!

as I thought it was a color that royalty avoided except in mourning.

Not anymore, Catherine has worn black on numerous occasions and the same comment has cropped up. If black was "frowned upon" as a choice of colour, i'm sure she would have been told.

Is it so warm outside in Liverpool these days?
She wears only thick coat and regular shoes...

Great outfit. I really love the dress.

Like the colour of the coat on her too much makeup and I liked the dress.

She took her coat off inside Alder Hey. This isn't the best view but you can see the dress here:

Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge Visits Alder Hey Childrens

Not sure why she choose black for this event, IMO people would've loved to be cheered up and enjoy seeing color. Black is quite harsh especially with quite ark black stockings.

Is it so warm outside in Liverpool these days?
She wears only thick coat and regular shoes...

She was indoors most of the time, wearing thick clothes would be too warm.

Winter cold and drear and along comes Catherine in black and brown.
  • Brown hair
  • Brown Coat
  • Black dress
  • Black hose
  • Black shoes
  • Oh, and let's not forget the obligatory black eyeliner and makeup laid on with a trowel.
It's all so very drab and dreary . . . . . even her hair was pretty flat!
  • Depressing :sad:

With the coat she looks nice, I don't like the dress under the coat. As for her make up this is one time that I think it looks nice and not thick at all. I've only seen a few pix, but it looks more natural.

Although I like the cut and style of the black dress, the look is missing some interest without the coat.

Winter cold and drear and along comes Catherine in black and brown.
  • Brown hair
  • Brown Coat
  • Black dress
  • Black hose
  • Black shoes
  • Oh, and let's not forget the obligatory black eyeliner and makeup laid on with a trowel.
It's all so very drab and dreary . . . . . even her hair was pretty flat!
  • Depressing :sad:

Yes, and all those people who met her yesterday were depressed when they met her and saw she had a brown coat on. The smiles and the laughing were obviously for just for show as deep down inside they must have been devastated at her choice in clothing. The children in the oncology unit must have been so disappointed at her 'depressing' hair. :huh:

Kate just cannot win. She was criticised for wearing a red coat in Copenhagen; people said it was insensitive given the seriousness of the cause. So, today, when she knew she was going to be meeting some extremely sick children, she wears a sober colour and is accused of being 'depressing'.

I just don't get it.

For me she should avoid black. It's elegant color but I think doesn't work with her, she just losing all 'glow' which she has.

I very like that coat. It´s lovely, elegant and classy. Catherine looked beautiful.

Yes, and all those people who met her yesterday were depressed when they met her and saw she had a brown coat on. The smiles and the laughing were obviously for just for show as deep down inside they must have been devastated at her choice in clothing. The children in the oncology unit must have been so disappointed at her 'depressing' hair. :huh:

Kate just cannot win. She was criticised for wearing a red coat in Copenhagen; people said it was insensitive given the seriousness of the cause. So, today, when she knew she was going to be meeting some extremely sick children, she wears a sober colour and is accused of being 'depressing'.

I just don't get it.

I do not get it either!!

She wanted the attention to be focused to the subject of the charity she visited, and NOT to her outfit, and she succedeed. Catherine is a royal on duty, not a top model in the red carpet!! What do people expect from her? To appear with a long red dress and tiara??? Senseless!!

I do not envy the thought and deliberation she must put into her wardrobe knowing every time she walks out of the house, she is subject to such intense scrutiny. Reading some comments I get the image of a mother who always feels compelled to comment on what her daughter is wearing:

"Black again?"
"you have such a pretty face, why not wear your hair back/up/differently?"
"Isn't that a bit too much make up?"

I can only imagine the stress in choosing what to wear for the fortnum & mason event with the queen and Camilla. You don't want to show up in the same color as the queen, but you don't want to clash... I imagine she rings up Angela Kelly a few days before to check on the color the queen is wearing, ditto with camilla's dresser. I think she is doing an admirable job assembling a working wardrobe from london designers both couture and the more accessible high street.

Btw... I thought she looked lovely and appropriate in Liverpool. And my guess is she wears her hair long because William likes it that way.

I wish this dress was in a bright color; Kate is so slender as it is and black slims her down even more. I know she wore the coat over this, but as an alternative a jacket in a jewel tone would have so brightened the look if she was going to wear solid black. Wearing something cheery would not have detracted from the purpose of the visit, I think, it's just that someone with her coloring can carry brighter tones and there are so many beautiful colors she could wear. There's nothing wrong with her wearing appropriate day attire in a colorful palette. Why shouldn't she stand out? She's the focus of all eyes, anyway, no matter what she wears and where she is.

Last edited:
I do not get it either!!

She wanted the attention to be focused to the subject of the charity she visited, and NOT to her outfit, and she succedeed. Catherine is a royal on duty, not a top model in the red carpet!! What do people expect from her? To appear with a long red dress and tiara??? Senseless!!

I felt the same while looking at pictures and videos yesterday. She wanted the attention to be on the people she was visiting, and the charities she was supporting, not her attire. I love the fact that she chooses things that don't stand out. She's not an attention seeker, and her clothing choices reflect that. However, as usual, the woman cannot win. People find something to complain about even when she does a flawless job at the engagement.

I just don't get it.
I do not get it either!!

She wanted the attention to be focused to the subject of the charity she visited, and NOT to her outfit, and she succeeded. Catherine is a royal on duty, not a top model in the red carpet!! What do people expect from her? To appear with a long red dress and tiara??? Senseless!!

I felt the same while looking at pictures and videos yesterday. She wanted the attention to be on the people she was visiting, and the charities she was supporting, not her attire. I love the fact that she chooses things that don't stand out. She's not an attention seeker, and her clothing choices reflect that.
To be honest, we do not know why she wore the clothes or the chose those colours. We just know that she did wear them and disliking her fashion choices is not treason. This is a fashion thread and we are discussing what she is wearing.

IMO the brown coat with the brown hair and total blackout underneath was dull and boring. Others may think it fabulous. Either way we are entitled to our differing opinions and this is the thread for those discussions.

However, as usual, the woman cannot win. People find something to complain about even when she does a flawless job at the engagement.
Disliking Catherine's dress at an engagement is a personal opinion about her choice of clothing and obviously cannot reflect how flawlessly she performed her job at an engagement. It just means we didn't like the ensemble she wore whilst doing it.

I am a little concerned that those who do not rhapsodise about Catherine's dress are starting to be harassed for disrespecting her on a personal level which is an obvious nonsense.

From looking at other fashion threads it seems the total blackout is a current European fashion trend and we have seen Princess Mary, Princess Victoria and even Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall sporting the same "look" with varying degrees of success. Today Catherine wore all black with a brown coat . . . I thought it dull and uninspiring. Camilla also wore all black but with a purple wrap. I loved it.

Fashion is a subjective topic. It is all about personal preferences and perceptions, ideas and ideals. Inevitably we differ and that is what adds the spice to the discussion. IMO not only has Catherine come a long way fashion-wise, but she has a way to go to establish her own inimitable style and that journey is what I am here for.

Disliking Catherine's dress at an engagement is a personal opinion about her choice of clothing and obviously cannot reflect how flawlessly she performed her job at an engagement. It just means we didn't like the ensemble she wore whilst doing it.

I am a little concerned that those who do not rhapsodise about Catherine's dress are starting to be harassed for disrespecting her on a personal level which is an obvious nonsense.

Thanks for pointing this out MARG. Agree 100%.

Its something that comes up in most of the fashion threads these days, derailing the discussion about clothes :sleeping:

People constantly say "Catherine cannot win", well what exactly is she supposed to win? Our opinions on Catherine outfit mean absolutely nothing, they're just our opinions.

Yes, some people liked, some didn't. I really really liked both the coat and the dress. I would wear it anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom