The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 24: October 2018 - January 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That headband thing is in style and has been for over a year. We have been seeing it on/in the other Royal houses, on brides and runways. Our hating it is not going to make the style go away. People will tire of it and it will be on to the next thing.

it seems odd to want to duplicate clothes in different colours,

I think if ANY of us had to look immaculate, elegant and appropriate on SO many engagements each and every year I think we would inevitably fall into somewhat formulaic 'uniform' dressing ?

'Fashionistas' might be able to sustain an appetite for searching out 'the new', but I don't think the Duchess of Cambridge is *that* interested, and as a busy Mother of three has better things to concern herself with...

Last edited:
Love the red dress. Very festive. The headband style really works on her.

My only quibble would be it’s a tad redundant since she recently wore the same dress in green. But- it’s a great color- on her and for the day- and the style suits her well.

This is the second time recently I recall her wearing neither nude sheers or black opaque tights. Her stockings appear to be a sheer dark taupe or off black. What do we all think about this?

I'm happy for a change, but have no idea if this is a fashion trend or something Catherine just started doing?

And for the record - having seen it from several angles, I like both Kate's hair and the headband today. It is pretty and I like that color around her face.

Very smart. Very clearly a future Queen, and comfortable in her skin!

Yes, very much a Queen-in-waiting!
Beautiful and elegant.

As for wearing duplicates in different colors, I once read Jacqueline Kennedy did the same.

I like the color and style of the dress, though it’s pretty tame. The shoulder pads are just on the right side of the 80s, but are okay. Hate the weird headband thingie.

Boring outfit that doesn't flatter her. Basically and standard Kate look. But I must say that William's scarf is really nice.

Loved the entire outfit on the Duchess today for the annual Christmas Day service and what a perfect colour for the special day.

This is the second time recently I recall her wearing neither nude sheers or black opaque tights. Her stockings appear to be a sheer dark taupe or off black. What do we all think about this?

I'm happy for a change, but have no idea if this is a fashion trend or something Catherine just started doing?

And for the record - having seen it from several angles, I like both Kate's hair and the headband today. It is pretty and I like that color around her face.

Personally, I hope the stockings are a fashion trend that is coming back. I thought they looked nice and gave her a finished look. Just remember, I am of an age where dressing in heels required hosiery. Bare legs on dressy or professional occasions was considered unlady like. To me bare legs look sloppy and unfinished. Let's face it, it is hard to erase 45 years of training.

Personally, I hope the stockings are a fashion trend that is coming back. I thought they looked nice and gave her a finished look. Just remember, I am of an age where dressing in heels required hosiery. Bare legs on dressy or professional occasions was considered unlady like. To me bare legs look sloppy and unfinished. Let's face it, it is hard to erase 45 years of training.

I agree! The colour is what used to be known in the UK as "Barely Black" - sheer, not quite black tights or stockings. Very popular and wnet with just about any colour winter clothing. Prefer to opaque.

I am also of the "age" and do not like bare legs on dressy or professional occasions. In my day it was only the "ladies of the evening" that did without as one less article to remove. But then, we all wore proper expensive lace slips under our sheer blouses so our bra wouldn't show. Now some don't even wear bras, so times have changed. Still, I like the smooth well toned look of hose on a nicely dressed lady. Many older women should automatically as their legs no longer tight. Would be classy if that trend returned. I believe the Queen insists on stockings at her formal dinners at BP. Tom Hanks wife once complained that she didn't even own and had to rush out and purchase before attending.

Sigh, another look that looks like its from a different era---and not in a good way.

Hmm, so yet another bespoke and likely very costly piece that is exactly similar to another piece of hers just in a different color! Nothing wrong with that per se but its rather dull. But its better than last year's awful look.

Kate wears deep red well.

I rather like the shoes and colored tights though! Her shoe game has really improved this year.

Last edited:
I love Kate's entire outfit. The tailoring is perfect and I think she does monochromatic looks very well. The color is wonderful!

I really like her hat from the back, with the bow, and how it's open.

I agree! The colour is what used to be known in the UK as "Barely Black" - sheer, not quite black tights or stockings. Very popular and wnet with just about any colour winter clothing. Prefer to opaque.
I would have to agree. I use barely black more than any other sheer stockings. They are very elegant and with her red ensemble, she couldn't have looked more festive, however, if you are going to hit the 1940's that hard you have to go all the way. It was still the time that women wore their hair up and girls wore it down. So, an 8 out of 10.

This is my first time posting, so I hope you don’t mind me joining in! :flowers:

I love everything about Kate’s outfit! The coat is flattering on her, and the red color is festive yet so stunning on her. I may be in the minority, but I like her headband. She looked lovely and quite regal. It was a treat to see her pictures this morning.

I really like her hat from the back, with the bow, and how it's open.

I do too. I adore the bow.

Sigh, another look that looks like its from a different era---and not in a good way.

Hmm, so yet another bespoke and likely very costly piece that is exactly similar to another piece of hers just in a different color! Nothing wrong with that per se but its rather dull. But its better than last year's awful look.

Kate wears deep red well.

I rather like the shoes and colored tights though! Her shoe game has really improved this year.

No. 269......
Over the decades now I have been watching and reading about the fashions of HM, it seems to me that she over time has developed a working closet so to speak, all events that the public can go to and she can be seen, her style is the same, a coat with a dress to match with a hat to match and shoes the same and purse the same....even at times the trim on her umbrella the same as her clothes....rarely does it change........HM has it down pat to a *T*. Now it seems to me that now perhaps Catherine is learning to do the same thing, develop a working closet also.....coat dresses seem to be her style and she gets them in all colors to wear be any time of the year......hats are changing and that IMHO is about it. Shoes, purse, earrings, a working royal lady and today's event with the public even though it was church, the public were waiting for them to come out and greet them......a working outfit which in time will be seen again at another event. I am seeing that Catherine is developing a style to suit her on the way HM has done the same, since Catherine will someday be queen consort she will need that closet to turn to. Yes I love Catherine's outfit today and the color is fabulous on her, and I love the hat also and the brooch was a nice surprise for I love brooches on ladies. That is the finishing touch for me...

Mind not everything has to be modern and contemporary in this day and age, tradition plays a huge part in the lives of the royal women and the way they dress for they are seen out in public and must and should give a good impression of that tradition and heritage. Above all they are not celebrities walking a red carpet to show off their talents, they are there for the people, all the people of their country. There are some ugly royals in history as there are some really great ones, what HM expects of the women in her family is simple ladylike decent respectful choices in their clothing, And the royal ladies learn this through trial and error.

Catherine looked stunning IMO & I love the hairband style. The 'new look' silhouette is a favourite of mine & Catherine has the figure & height to do it justice.

She looks magnificent in red and by far the best dressed at the service,that the headpiece is cute i love it

This is my first time posting, so I hope you don’t mind me joining in! :flowers:

I love everything about Kate’s outfit! The coat is flattering on her, and the red color is festive yet so stunning on her. I may be in the minority, but I like her headband. She looked lovely and quite regal. It was a treat to see her pictures this morning.

I am loving that headpiece too.

Best dressed award for me goes to the Duchess of Cambridge this year. The coat fit like a dream and that color is heavenly on her. Loved the headband too. Two thumbs up.

Welcome kaitydid. :flowers:

This is one of my favorite looks for Catherine's Christmas Service outfits. IMO it is a big improvement over last year's plaid maternity coat. ?

Best dressed award for me goes to the Duchess of Cambridge this year. The coat fit like a dream and that color is heavenly on her. Loved the headband too. Two thumbs up.

Same here. I think she looked perfect from head to toe.?

A little bit ago, I put a post together about the times Kate has bought the same item in different colors: The Duchess of Cambridge in the same thing,...

With this red coat, it makes it 11 items that she's purchased in more than one color.

Most of them, I feel like are different colors (as well as some slight differences in cuts or lapels) enough that I, personally, don't mind. The one one that annoys me is the white Christening coat that she then bought in pale yellow. The colors are simply too close and barely discernible. Even the most recent Catherine Walker coat doesn't bother me because a.) both colors are gorgeous and b.) there's also some slight differences.

Considering she's learning from the HM, who absolutely has her loves down, I don't begrudge Kate for buying things she likes in different colors. I do it too, just at the $20 level instead of $200 or more, lol.

^^^

She knows what works for her body. I thought she looked great during the Xmas church outing.

Do they travel with the Stylist people for the Christmas Chur ch outing, they look so perfect from hair to make up, that it is difficult to believe they do it themselves . Anyone knows anything about this here ?

Catherine looked absolutely lovely for the Christmas walk. I couldn't possibly love those shoes more and and I love the throwback styles we've been seeing from her. I tend to like those retro styles and she wears them beautifully. I have to admit that I prefer the green version of this dress but she does look great in the dark red. I wish the headpiece was a nice pillbox hat, that bandeau style is my least favorite part of the whole outfit. Overall, though, she looks lovely and festive and her tailoring is impeccable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom