The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 23: September 2017 - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the duchess looked very elegant pity we didn't get to see the full look but it was fine for attending a Sunday Church service.

It was supposedly a chilly and rainy day, so I think Kate looked fine.
I especially like her hat.

Is this what some see? :huh: 'Vintage'? Looks pretty normal to me. :flowers:

P.S. I've been puzzled by all the 'aging' remarks, too. Baffles me.

I don't get what is so aging about it either. Vintage and Retro are kinda interchangeable ..but to me vintage indicates something older than retro.

Kate wears quite a bit of clothing that echos vintage and retro.

LaRae

I don't get what is so aging about it either. Vintage and Retro are kinda interchangeable ..but to me vintage indicates something older than retro. LaRae

Vintage means used clothing in my world. ;) There are vintage clothing shops, for example. Retro has to do with specific styles intended to hearken back to some previous fashion, like bell bottom pants/slacks/trousers someone may wear. If the pants/trousers are used/old clothing, they are vintage. If the pants/trousers are new then they are a retro style, and I can name what that style was from what decade or century. To me retro hippie styles are the easiest to identify. (Few people actually wear retro clothing in my experience, though modern styles can take influences from the past, or appear to be influenced by the past. In that case they are inspired by previous fashion though not retro. How I have always seen it).

Kate wears quite a bit of clothing that echos vintage and retro.

So given my stated understanding I don't ever see Kate wearing vintage clothing, and I'm hard pressed to identify any of her ensembles as retro. JMO. :flowers:

I love vintage and retro clothing. There is a way to style and wear them that don't make you look dated though. This look on Kate makes her look many years older than she is and is IMO unflattering. The cut and the black outline is the kicker. It is a rather severe look to me.

Compare this look to her Michael Kors coat in a similar material and muted color which has a classic, versatile design, but still looks contemporary.

This version of Kate's CW coat from today would have looked good on her too
https://www.catherinewalker.com/collette/

Last edited:
I love vintage and retro clothing. There is a way to style and wear them that don't make you look dated though. This look on Kate makes her look many years older than she is and is IMO unflattering. The cut and the black outline is the kicker. It is a rather severe look to me.

How 'many years older than she is'? :huh: I don't get it. She is clearly a young woman in her prime. No way can someone mistake her for a 48-year-old or 58-year-old, for example. But she is definitely dressing for a 'grown-up' role as a current heir to the throne and future Queen. It's a costume. The way she is dressing makes sense to me.

Kate is wearing 'formal' work outfits, the kind a female Prime Minister might wear. I assume because she will one day be Queen and so is 'presenting' in a respectful fashion with an eye to that future role. I assume. Sophie Wessex doesn't have a wardrobe or style even close to Kate's probably because her role is far less 'serious' so she can afford to be casual.

I also don't see anything untowardly 'severe' about her outfit. Rather I see a very well-put-together respectful outfit, conservative in gesture, in keeping with the Queen's mode of dress. JMO. :flowers:

Last edited:
I guess what makes me think it's "dated" is the slightly pointy shoulder pads + the black details + the texture. I don't think these elements itself are necessarily unflattering but the whole combination is, yes very formal, but still too dated on her to me.

I think she repeated this hat. I am not a fans of this hat, always think it's like a dish on her head. (Originally I thought that it's a new sibling of those two which I quite like.)

Last edited:
How 'many years older than she is'? :huh: I don't get it. She is clearly a young woman in her prime. No way can someone mistake her for a 48-year-old or 58-year-old, for example. But she is definitely dressing for a 'grown-up' role as a current heir to the throne and future Queen. It's a costume. The way she is dressing makes sense to me.

Kate is wearing 'formal' work outfits, the kind a female Prime Minister might wear. I assume because she will one day be Queen and so is 'presenting' in a respectful fashion with an eye to that future role. I assume. Sophie Wessex doesn't have a wardrobe or style even close to Kate's probably because her role is far less 'serious' so she can afford to be casual.

I also don't see anything untowardly 'severe' about her outfit. Rather I see a very well-put-together respectful outfit, conservative in gesture, in keeping with the Queen's mode of dress. JMO. :flowers:

I have to agree with you, I don't quite get the "aging" argument. To me, she dresses classically for "work", and to her role and position in the BRF and in British national life. When appropriate, we see her in "younger", sporting gear or trousers, but at other times, when she is conducting a public engagement, she is usually dressed like the future Queen she is.

The grey look is very elegant and beautiful.

Fashion is subjective. I work in a very formal environment, dealing with government officials at high levels, including world leaders, so I am familiar with formal work-wear, thanks. Mind you, the way Kate and many royals dress is not something I see in most offices or on world leaders (Letizia of Spain has a more business formal dress style than most royals)

To my aesthetic taste, this is not a look I like. I never said it was inappropriate. :bang: At all. I said it was dated and severe which it is to me. That doesn't make it inappropriate, it just makes it a bad look to me.

You can dress conservative and serious as a future Queen without looking like you are dressing the decade the current Queen was born in. As Kate is several decades younger than the Queen, I would expect her dress to not follow the Queen in all things even if its following general cues. The Queen as a young Queen dressed stylishly for her time, for example. This look of Kate's isn't stylish to me. I posted examples of looks in a similar vein that were perfectly fit for Kate to wear (as she has) for serious occasions like going to church with the Queen. Again, just sharing an aesthetic view which is what this thread is for.

Moreover, Kate is not the heir to the throne. That would be her husband, and he is the heir TO the heir.

And I often find Sophie Wessex' style (not sure why she was brought up) to be both contemporary, classic and befitting a senior lady representing her Majesty---without looking dated.

IMO Kate's recent looks have nothing to do with her future role. She has just picked some duds and this coat dress is one for me. Happens to the best of royal dressers. No big deal or mark against Kate's character.

Last edited:
I agree with you @Lady Nimue. From what we can see of the coat, it looks well-tailored and somewhat vintage in style, but also quite pulled together and elegant. I see nothing wrong with it. Kate has a tendency toward conservative, prim and proper at times. She does often seem to mix it up with her outfits, but she obviously tends to stay more on the conservative side.

During Kate's third pregnancy, she was positively glowing and she looked quite fabulous in practically everything she wore, especially some of the evening gowns on the trip to northern Europe. Mostly, it was Kate that we noticed first in what she was wearing, not her baby bump. I think she clearly loves being a mother, and after the first difficult months of illness, she seems to love being pregnant too.

Last edited:
I have to say IMO Kate's day wear for official events and Church events is pretty boring. Its very samey and a little old for her IMO. Its completely presentable but a little meh maybe. Its not a criticism, I'd rather that than her wear ridiculous clothes that get lots of PR attention for the wrong reasons but I think when a 53 year old auntie-in-law wears clothes that have a little more edge than you it can't be said your choices are contemporary. Even the Prime Minister (whatever your opinion of her) frequents Amanda Wakely so much she has a long standing discount and if you look at the designs there you see items that are more contemporary.

... This version of Kate's CW coat from today would have looked good on her too
https://www.catherinewalker.com/collette/

Yeah, but I really don't think Duchess Kate would even consider wearing that version of the coat with such a plunging neckline, to accompany the Queen to church. :whistling:

Kate's choices are fine, and sometimes a bit matronly and conservative, but that's okay. She's very conscious of her status and her future role. It is what it is. And we royal fashion watchers are not always going to agree with each other's views and preferences. ?

Last edited:
I wonder if Kate’s coat is trimmed in navy rather than black. Given the hat she is wearing is a navy repeat. It’s a lovely coat to add to the collection, but the navy may soften it a bit in better lighting .

I have to agree with you, I don't quite get the "aging" argument. To me, she dresses classically for "work", and to her role and position in the BRF and in British national life. When appropriate, we see her in "younger", sporting gear or trousers, but at other times, when she is conducting a public engagement, she is usually dressed like the future Queen she is.
I agree with both of you and don’t understand the aging thing. However, she should stay away from black as it is aging with her coloring, most women do not look well in black, and she is one of them.

Yeah, but I really don't think Duchess Kate would even consider wearing that version of the coat with such a plunging neckline, to accompany the Queen to church. :whistling:
Depends on the kind of dress worn underneath.

I agree with you @Lady Nimue. From what we can see of the coat, it looks well-tailored and somewhat vintage in style, but also quite pulled together and elegant. I see nothing wrong with it. Kate has a tendency toward conservative, prim and proper at times. She does often seem to mix it up with her outfits, but she obviously tends to stay more on the conservative side.

During Kate's third pregnancy, she was positively glowing and she looked quite fabulous in practically everything she wore, especially some of the evening gowns on the trip to northern Europe. Mostly, it was Kate that we noticed first in what she was wearing, not her baby bump. I think she clearly loves being a mother, and after the first difficult months of illness, she seems to love being pregnant too.

I quite agree with both you and Lady Nimue about Catherine's coat dress. I think she looks very appropriate for that she is doing, in fact I like the coat dress even in these colors. I do see Catherine as prim and proper as was mentioned above yet understand that she is the future queen consort and is learning everytime she is with HM for she is on the job. She has to be I am sure very considerate of what she is going to wear at all times when on the job. Because of whom she is married to would mean more thought is taken in her clothing where as with some other royals ladies who do not have the responsibilities that Catherine has can have more flexibility in their choices of clothing.

:previous:I agree that Catherine was conscious of the fact that she would be attending a church service in Scotland with HM and therefore selected an ensemble that would be warm enough, appropriate to the occasion and would not attract too much attention away from QEII. ?

I guess what makes me think it's "dated" is the slightly pointy shoulder pads + the black details + the texture. I don't think these elements itself are necessarily unflattering but the whole combination is, yes very formal, but still too dated on her to me.

Could you say to what date? :flowers: I'm not being slippery here. ;) I'm really wondering what date her clothing choice seems to date her to?

The phrase 'British national life' pops out at me. :flowers: That's it for me. There is a particular style I recognize as particular to the British royals (the main line royals). One doesn't see it in Spain or Sweden, etc. It's 'very British'. (Happens with the way the British royal children are dressed, too, at least the heir's children). It's what the British expect. Am I getting this right? So saying, Kate's clothes are current and casual where appropriate but otherwise follow a conservative and very polished presentation.

:previous:I agree that Catherine was conscious of the fact that she would be attending a church service in Scotland with HM and therefore selected an ensemble that would be warm enough, appropriate to the occasion and would not attract too much attention away from QEII. ?

Hadn't considered the 'warm enough' aspect. :flowers: You're right. Plus with the realization that they were in Scotland suddenly the outfit takes on a more 'tartan' quality to my eye.

Last edited:
i don't die for this outfit but i find it, classy and appropriate. Kate is not anymore the young girl dating Prince William, she 37 old Duchess of Cambridge, is mother of three and one day she will be Queen. I like the way her way of dressing is evoluting, I would say upgrading the game.
furthermore
i don't die for this outfit but i find it, classy and appropriate. Kate is not anymore the young girl dating Prince William, she 37 old Duchess of Cambridge, is mother of three and one day she will be Queen. I like the way her way of dressing is evoluting, I would say upgrading the game.
Furthermore, we should consider not only that she is accompanying the Queen, but also that she is in the countryside. Going to the Church in Balmoral is not the same than going to the Saint Paul Cathedral for a mass. There she would dress differently. I like that Kate feels correctly the pulse of each occasion she attends and she adapts her outfis prefectly.

Last edited:
:previous:
Exactly!

I like some of her clothes and don't care for others, but I will say this for her- she always looks appropriate.

The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 23: September 2017 -

Yes she has judged the occasion correctly and her choice is impeccable, if a little severe. I share the view that black and grey aren't flattering colours for her but she looks tanned and well.

Last edited:
Could you say to what date? :flowers: I'm not being slippery here. ;) I'm really wondering what date her clothing choice seems to date her to?

1980s I think? (anyway I am not fashion expert)

It reminds me those crazy shoulder pads in 1980s, of course hers are not “crazy” at all, but still give me some 1980s vibe, I am not saying that shoulder pads stuff must be outdated, but hers give me a dated feeling (mainly because of their shape? I am biased here as I am not into shoulder pads fashion at all:D). And the combination of the other two elements I mentioned don't suit her age IMO. Yet like some of you said, it's very appropriate for church going.

The descriptive term for Kate's coat that comes to mind for me is classic. I think it is gorgeous.

Only the upper part but Duchess of Cambridge looking very elegant as attends the church today in Balmoral.
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...00000578-6099677-image-a-23_1535286243367.jpg

1980s I think? (anyway I am not fashion expert)

I see. :flowers: I thought you might say the 1950's. I find the suit/coat fascinating: the cloth, the slightly off-center buttons (maybe they aren't but they seem so), and the contrasting color edging. Personally I am fond of the 1940's styles.

It (and she) looks fabulous to me. (Especially those earrings! ❤️)

As some have said: classic comes to mind. It's a timeless suit/coat, I think. Could fit in any time period, I think. I also think she has significantly settled into her grooming for her role. She's found her stride. She always appears beautifully 'arranged'. ;)

It reminds me those crazy shoulder pads in 1980s, of course hers are not “crazy” at all, but still give me some 1980s vibe, I am not saying that shoulder pads stuff must be outdated, but hers give me a dated feeling (mainly because of their shape? I am biased here as I am not into shoulder pads fashion at all:D). And the combination of the other two elements I mentioned don't suit her age IMO. Yet like some of you said, it's very appropriate for church going.

I understand what you're saying. :flowers: Thank you. ❤️

Last edited:
I think the issue with Kate is she doesn't have her own sense of style. She doesn't know how to pick items. She took her inspiration from the only source she sees, the other royal ladies. The issue is that are either 1 women old enough to be her mother or grandmother or 2 Diana and her style which may have been trendy thirty years ago but is dated. Yes she is always appropriate but Camilla could wear her clothes and look appropriate and not dressing too young.

It seems also why we don't see her experiment with separates or accessories very often if at all. She should let a stylist flex her juices if Kate doesn't have the eye for it.

I'd rather watch the royals who take fishes even if they have the odd miss. Then have a boring monogamy of coat dresses.

She certainly has misses like her seventies floral dresses in Scandinavia.

Thus look is fie. Nice and appropriate. Nothing memorable to write home about.

I'd rather watch the royals who take fishes even if they have the odd miss.

Those fishes, YES, I agree. ;) (I'm on the floor! ? ) FISHES!

Thus look is fie. Nice and appropriate. Nothing memorable to write home about.

I'll say! Is it fie or fle? :cool: Countessmeout, your car-crash with auto-correct has me in stitches. ?

I think the issue with Kate is she doesn't have her own sense of style....

I on the other hand think she does have a sense of style for work and for off-duty. Boring. Fitted. Preferring coat and shirt-dress styles. Predictable. Stolid (if on a spectacular figure). Usually comfortable and/or in great fabric. In that way, her style is much like how her husband seems to approach work dressing.

Every now and then, she will go with something fun (I am thinking the leopard print flared coat or the Scandi floral dress) but I think her style makes her happiest when people are a bit underwhelmed by her look.

And this matches her private casual style. Her fav old boots or sneakers, close fitted jeans, a loose sweater or striped boatneck top.

I'm liking the addition of sundresses for casual summer. And I think they are fine for a wealthy lady of her age and interests.

I think she knows she looks good in clothes, but that clothes are not her passion. I would not be surprised if she is now choosing things that will look great if she pulls them out once a decade (as Anne does). I would not be surprised if she at some point put pen to paper and did the math of how much to spend on trends and how much on keepers, knowing she will have 50 years of this dressing to do.

I think Kate is nothing if not deliberate. And that's a character trait that rarely changes.

I on the other hand think she does have a sense of style for work and for off-duty. Boring. Fitted. Preferring coat and shirt-dress styles. Predictable. Stolid (if on a spectacular figure). Usually comfortable and/or in great fabric. In that way, her style is much like how her husband seems to approach work dressing.

Every now and then, she will go with something fun (I am thinking the leopard print flared coat or the Scandi floral dress) but I think her style makes her happiest when people are a bit underwhelmed by her look.
I agree. IMO she seems to view her daytime engagement outfits secondary to the actual engagement. She tends toward tailored, comfortable clothing options that will work for the event. Like many other royal ladies, Catherine seems to consider things when she selects her outfits: Will she be standing or sitting for long periods of time? Will she be expected to dance, run, jump? Will she be chatting with young children and doing crafts with them? Like many other royal women, it's taken a little time to discover what is event appropriate, comfortable and features a domestic designer. IMO She's definitely found her style. ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom