The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 22: May 2017 - August 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
surprised Kate wore such a similar outfit to last year - but maybe this is going to be her Ascot thing. (I still keep waiting for the potato chip hat from Zara's wedding to make a reappearance - I figure Ascot is the only shot at a reappearance - but I digress:flowers:)

I do like this years white lace Ascot ensemble (I guess that is going to be a thing now) - but I especially love the detail on the hat - the flowers creeping over with the contrast to her brunette hair - a very elegant look.

It is nice such a strong family presence today - the queen has all of her children and 5/8 grandchildren. :britflag:

She looks smashing. LOVE this...my mother would of said her look was just 'darling'.

LaRae

Her earrings are lovely....are they new? I know she has more than one set of pearl earrings so I can't remember if I have seen these before....?

LaRae

A lovely look, and her posture looks great. :flowers:

A beautiful dress but I felt like I had a bit of dèja vu. It's so similar to a dress she wore before

A beautiful dress but I felt like I had a bit of dèja vu. It's so similar to a dress she wore before
I completely agree. She looks wonderful but the dress looks too much like the one that she wore last year.

Her earrings are lovely....are they new? I know she has more than one set of pearl earrings so I can't remember if I have seen these before....?

LaRae

I think that they're HM's pearl and diamond earrings that were gifts from Bahrain.

Beautiful. Very elegant dress. Love her hair.

I like this dress though she wore a similar white lace dress last year (longer with a peplum skirt).

Beautiful in white on day 1 of Royal Ascot today, June 20 - it's an Alexander McQueen dress:

** Full view ** Full view 2 ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 ** Upper part 3 ** Back view **

I did think at first glance that it was the dress from last year. I like the shorter version, but like others it's a sense of deja vu. Something different would have been nice.

Here's the 2016 Lace White Dolce and Gabbanna outfit: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/31/96/8b/31968b7d673c09d11715fabb99913dcd.jpg

I like this one (2017) better...even though I like the other one too.

LaRae

I like both versions but don't get the need to buy 2 so similar very expensive outfits.

This is one of my all time favourite looks on Catherine. Head to toe perfection. When she nails it, she's absolutely stunning.

I agree the tops look the same could it be the same dress remade if not what a waste of money

...for most people, perhaps; for me, sure; but for Catherine - she has enough occaisions and opportunities to wear as many lace dresses (white, black, and every other color) and blue coats as she likes. As long as she is a working princess - she can always use one more. :flowers:

In my world, I equate it to my extensive collection of black shoes - to my boyfriend, he cant understand the need - but to me... they all serve a different purpose and occaision. :whistling:

When I saw this at work, I almost fell out of my chair at the perfection. Even if I had never seen this woman before, I would have been gobsmacked at the utter prettiness of this! It's such a lovely fit for the event.

I think the detail of the fascinator make up for its not being a hat. This is a fascinator I can get behind - on a overall styling meter. Granted, I don't want to see all the frou frou bits with everything she wears, but I thought with this dress, on this day it was perfect.

Honestly, I immediately thought of the Ascot scene in the movie My Fair Lady - not because it looks like a costume but just because it is almost iconicly Ascot in the same way the black and white scene in the movie. It's a very updated take on that black and white scene IMO. RAVES for days. :flowers:

And I want to add that Sophie in the more classic/streamlined green only elevated both looks in the carriage. Brava to both! On rare days two very different stylings elevate each other.

I do prefer the 2017 white lace dress too. It has the perfect ''puffiness'' (for lack of a better word) of the skirt. Not too flat, not too big. Plus her breasts sit better in this dress. It simply has a better fit.

However, a hairnet?

Princess Catherine wears a hairnet at the Royal Ascot
If you look closely you will see the majority of royal women sporting updo's also wear hair nets. There is no virtue in calling them old fashioned and going out and having wisps or worse work free. The just simply are as important as hairpins.

I can really get behind AdmirerUS total post. The very definition of pretty and I definitely agree about the hat.

However, I want to shoot the Alexander McQueen! From the bustline to the hips it looks well lined. Below that is a whole other story as in the beautiful sunlit day her legs were quite visible clear up to the thigh gap. I don't believe for one moment that Catherine was aware of it and it just seemed to happen mostly in long shots. I still think it was one of the prettiest ensembles she has worn and that it was perfect for Royal Ascot but, for the price of that dress I would expect as near perfect as possible from the mighty McQueen!

I saw a couple of the more 'sheer' pics...not as bad as Diana at the pre-school...but yeah a couple pics probably show more than intended.

LaRae

If you look closely you will see the majority of royal women sporting updo's also wear hair nets. There is no virtue in calling them old fashioned and going out and having wisps or worse work free. The just simply are as important as hairpins.

I agree. :flowers: Don't understand any objections. The only other solution is hairspray (ugh!). :sad:

I also like the whole look. :flowers: Very pretty. Perfectly put together and likely maintained all day in the heat and breezes (if any). Photo ready at all times. ;)

I want to see a return of those embellished hair nets ...the kind they used to wear jewels on. You could really bling those out! lol

LaRae

Really lovely dress. Flattering look. Don't like fascinators but beautiful one :flowers:

But I am on boat with the why:ermm: Have twenty lace dresses fine. But two in exact same color and such similar style. Shortened the hem and raised the neck. It may not be so glaringly obvious if she didn't wear to the same event in consecutive ears. If she had worn this say to trooping, yes people would have a bit of a double take but not as obvious.

We'll have got used to the blue coat dress procession. Guess will just have to get used to white lace procession.

I want to see a return of those embellished hair nets ...the kind they used to wear jewels on. You could really bling those out! lol LaRae

Yes, yes! I know the ones you mean as my family has some of those from decades ago. Antiques really. They are impressive as it's more than just crushed crystals but the thread itself is augmented. :flowers: A 1940's thing, not so?

Yes, yes! I know the ones you mean as my family has some of those from decades ago. Antiques really. They are impressive as it's more than just crushed crystals but the thread itself is augmented. :flowers: A 1940's thing, not so?

Yep and the fashion trend right now seems to be going retro..that would fit right in! Yes the gold or silver thread, if you can imagine sewing with that!

Also, (the hair nets) goes back to long long time before the 40's! Middle ages I think!

LaRae

:previous: Yes, going retro and hair nets are popular. But not in the lunch lady way. Yes there has a practical reason for Kate wearing it, and that's great. Would rather her hair look neat. But certainly nothing trendy about it.

The trend is to go back to 40s which was in itself a rethinking of older style. The trend is to wear heir nets as actual accessories. Instead of a hat or fascinator, wearing a net as statement piece.

The Trendy Hairnet

And indeed Pranter they go back many centuries. They were often worn at the French court with the French hood. Anyone who watched the Tudors it's accurate enough. Was considered scandalous by many at the time, as English hoods had a full fabric veil down the back, hiding the hair, called lawn.

I think the reason it was scandalous was because only 'loose' women or 'working women' showed their hair.

Of course we know the French court was the front lines of scandalous behavior over the centuries at least when it came to clothing! lol

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom