The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 22: May 2017 - August 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Victoria's was dreadful. Unusual for her. However, I didn't mind Kate's dress. It was green, the colour of growth and life, and looked quite cheerful on quite a dreary, rainy day.

I agree Curryong that Kate's is IMO a pretty dress than Victoria's selection. Both women are close in age/stage in life so it doesn't surprise me that they'd choose something similar for a daytime engagement.

Last edited:
Kate doesn't seem to dress to her age; i could see the Queen wearing this green flowery dress. And the bow is just awful.

But of course she has the right to dress any which way she likes, as long as it is appropriate to the occasion, which it is.

The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 22: May 2017 -

I love this dress- and the ***** bow detail at the neck is very on trend. The poppies on the print for remembrance are a nice fit for the occasion.

Edited to add: apparently TRF filters out the name of this particular fashion item. Here's a history of it for anyone confused by the asterisks :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/*****_bow

Last edited:
Kate doesn't seem to dress to her age; i could see the Queen wearing this green flowery dress. And the bow is just awful.

But of course she has the right to dress any which way she likes, as long as it is appropriate to the occasion, which it is.

Agree. She's 35 wearing a dress that a 91 year old would look fine in. Something wrong there.

Lets chat about this in context.
It's a white garden. It is full of life while honoring the passing of a life.
If you look at the guys (again, I'm writing about the context of her choice), William is in a cream sport coat and Harry is in the rare (on him) not dark grey. They are not in dark colors - they are in what is for them, BRIGHTS! They are also both casual and open necked. They are honoring life moving forward in their choice of dress.
Catherine chose a not traditional garden print in what is for her a BRIGHT. It's respectfully cut/worn and however we all may hate this button-up-bow-neck-shirt-dress-look, it is all over the runways - esp. in Europe, though with some US designers, too. It is pretty and full of life.
Given what the guys were in - what would you expect her to wear? Pants and a blazer? A sleeveless something or other? A repeat (the headlines would scream, "Kate wears old frock to not-honor the People's fashion princess!")
I loathe shirt dresses and hate neck bows more. I am no longer a fashionista and only look at 8-10 collections a season. Even I understand why this fits the context of the event.
She is no longer 28 - she's a 35 year old woman and a mom of two. She's going to wear this kinda stuff because it is the uniform. And though I try really hard to not compare royals, a Mom of two Scandinavian royal only 5 years Catherine's senior is rocking the bow necked shirt dress these days.
:ermm:

Last edited:
I love the colour, print and length of the dress. Really the only thing I don't like is the way the material bunches above the waistline.

I'm noticing these sorts of dresses starting to pop up in the 30s-early 40s people I know. They're hard to pull off.

I usually like what she wears, but I think that dress is hideous. :eek:
:previous:Agreed! It looks awful.

I, too, am a fan of what Catherine wears, but I am hoping this dress somehow finds its way to a rubbish tip...

Sorry but dress is awful. It's matronly at best. She looks like a frumpy house wife at least a decade older.

The color is lovely but only thing going for this look.

I sadly find myself wishing for one of her uniform coat dresses :sad:

Just because you are a mom doesn't mean you dress like a frumpy housewife. Sorry but this isn't uniform for women my age, even one with kids.

For me it is not really the bow which bothers. It is the length and the long sleeves, the whole dress carries a "full coverage" idea which would fit more to Mrs Marple than to a 35 years beautiful royal.
Nevertheless circumstances are strange.

Ok it is visiting a mémorial to pay respect to your late mother in law, which is also one of the most mourned passing of the last century.

Ok, you show respect by wearing a simple, sobre outfit, élégant and nice.

Ok in this case all this print is too much.

Ok, but this is a hymne in life and joy, like late Diana wanted to be.

Ok, but in this case you don't wear your grannies dress..... Or you use ciscors before....

For me this dress is wrong from all sides, and does not fit to her.

As per the theory "35 years mother of 2".... Look at the other Royals. Mums also. Did ever CP Mary or even Queen Mathilde, traditional person, gor out like this ? No.

If she starts dressing now this way... I fear when she will be 50..

Last edited:
As per the theory "35 years mother of 2".... Look at the other Royals. Mums also. Did ever CP Mary or even Queen Mathilde, traditional person, gor out like this ? No.

It's funny you should mention CP Mary. I actually could see Mary in this dress- it's by one of her go to designers, and also reminded me a lot of this outfit.
IMG_8415.JPG

Yes, but worn in an official occasion, acting as a full royal and hosting someone from a very traditional country

I mean... attending a memorial dedication as an official royal duty seems to call for the same restraint.

I understand some people dislike this look, and I get that- what I don't get is the assertions that other royals wouldn't wear something similar (several have) or that this is out of style/off trend. It fits right in with several recent collections, and I also can't see this shape working on an older woman- it's too unstructured to look good on someone who doesn't have a figure like Catherine or CP Mary.

The dress is back in style so she is on trend. Other royals have worn this type of dress as well.
It is also a style that Diana herself wore.

Time to close this thread. The new one can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom