The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 20: October 2016 - February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh look, finally a much needed blue coat. How many does she possess? How does she justify them to herself?

Oh look, finally a much needed blue coat. How many does she possess? How does she justify them to herself?

How does she justify them to herself? Catherine's clothes are her business. Charles pays for William and Catherine and Harry. Charles approves Catherine's clothing bill, which is only a fraction of the Duchy of Cornwall's expenditure. No big deal.

Last edited:
Agree with previous posters: the placement of the belt makes the outfit look very ill-proportioned and unflattering, with the shorter sleeves it's looking like a maxi-coat she's "grown out of".

I don't think she still has all the items that she bought.

We know that HMQ in her younger days disposed on clothes via Dress Agencies and Diana did the same.

The color is fantastic. I love the shoes. And her earrings are great. I even like her hair:flowers:

That said the coat is badly tailored. And the seem is odd. She has so many well fitting lovely coat dressses, I don't see the need for another, especially badly fitted.

I like the look. The A-line coat and belt highlight the smallest part of her waist gives her and elongated look (which the purpose of the empire waist and belt imo). What I don't like is the little butterfly clips in her hair. All in all though, I think she looks good in the vibrant color.

How does she justify them to herself? Catherine's clothes are her business. Charles pays for William and Catherine and Harry. Charles approves Catherine's clothing bill, which is only a fraction of the Duchy of Cornwall's expenditure. No big deal.

Whilst I accept that it is Duchy money and she is not really answerable to anybody, I do think it is incredibly wasteful to have a multitide of blue coats, many of which have only been worn once or twice.

She has the chance to set a clear example in this vacuous world we live that it is desirable to get good use out of ones clothes, that not everything has to be disposable, and good quality can last for some time. Charles and Camilla are both great examples of this. Once can only assume that in a few years she will see how wasteful her endless clothes buying is, and will make amends.

Charles and Camilla have spent millions of £ on Ray Mill. So funny the usual suspects bang on about clothes while purposely ignoring the other expenditures of the Duchy of Cornwall.

It's a nice coat and the color is vibrant. I like it. But I agree with the poster who didn't like the butterfly clips. Those look silly and very childish.

Sigh...yet another coat dress that doesn't fit right. Her natural waist is about two inches below where the belt is hitting. It just looks poorly tailored the way it fits her.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Isn't that simply the model of this type of coat. I have one too. It's called an Empire-waist.

A lovely color and a lovely style but the only downside of this outfit is the empire waist belt, its unflattering and Kate tends to wear her belts higher and it doesn't suit her.

Charles and Camilla have spent millions of £ on Ray Mill. So funny the usual suspects bang on about clothes while purposely ignoring the other expenditures of the Duchy of Cornwall.

With respect, we are talking about clothes here.

If you wanted to talk about things Charles spends a fair amount on, it is 4 homes, lots of staff, cars, private planes, helicopters.... the list is long, but not relevant to the conversation here.

As regards Ray Mill, to the extent that I am aware, there were 2 times since the wedding of C&C that monies have been spent. Firstly, the security at the property was upgraded to reflect that it was one of the homes of the future Queen. Some accommodation for security personnel was also built. Secondly, and more recently, the property was expanded, as Camilla wanted more room for her grandchildren. This was not a major expansion, but I think 1-2 bedrooms were added and a bathroom or two added.

Last edited:

Investing in a house, increasing value for years and generations vs a 50th coat dress she may never wear again? Sorry there is no comparison. :bang:

Does she need to justify them to herself? I mean..you aren't paying for it. Most women I know find a style they like and generally wear variations of it over and over.

This seems to be one of her 'work looks'. Other than it's needing to be tailored I think it's fine.

LaRae

Is it possible that she 'hires' some of her clothing and returns it after wearing? She would purchase the things she likes best and return the rest to the 'hire' firm?

I liked she wore blue today, especially at her late mother-in-law former charity.

kate always looks great in eponine - good choice again.

I do wonder at what age she will tire of the whole elevated waist look? Because I am bored. :sad: Maybe never, the Queen certainly has a silhouette she sticks to like glue.
The Queen's style has evolved both fashion and age wise throughout her life. Having matching coats and dresses and sticking with a white or a pale palette in gala wear, all without waist's is perfectly acceptable at 90!

Catherine, on the other hand, seems to push toward a higher waistline, above the natural waist but below an empire line. When she adds a belt it just looks odd, although it does give the illusion that her legs are even longer.

The most puzzling thing is her hair. She is obviously immensely proud of it and grows it increasingly long and voluminous. That is not a criticism just a fact. The problem to me is what she does with it when on royal engagements and on this occasion all those curls and waves just don't do any favours for her ensemble in much the same way as it does with many of her ensembles. However, the move toward using children's hair grips is going way too far. It looks like she raided her daughter's hair ornaments.

She looks fabulous!

As for how many blue coats she owns, obviously it depends on your definition, but I'm counting 18, but I don't have 2016 all put together so I might have missed one (and a couple I counted could go either for coat dress or just coat). 9 she has worn only once (from what I counted), but four could be considered maternity coats, and two are from 2016 or 2017.

That leaves 9 that she's worn more than once and two that she's worn three or more times.

18 blue coats in 7 years (one she wore before her marriage), isn't that bad in my opinion. And we don't know which one's she's purchased and which she only borrowed (if she's ever done that).

but this is a conversation that comes up for many of the women and I can't always disagree. But I'm poor, so in my mind, if I was Kate, I'd wear the same thing 20 times in a year (and thus you all would hate my fashion sense for the other side, lol).

The Queen's style has evolved both fashion and age wise throughout her life. Having matching coats and dresses and sticking with a white or a pale palette in gala wear, all without waist's is perfectly acceptable at 90!

Catherine, on the other hand, seems to push toward a higher waistline, above the natural waist but below an empire line. When she adds a belt it just looks odd, although it does give the illusion that her legs are even longer.

The most puzzling thing is her hair. She is obviously immensely proud of it and grows it increasingly long and voluminous. That is not a criticism just a fact. The problem to me is what she does with it when on royal engagements and on this occasion all those curls and waves just don't do any favours for her ensemble in much the same way as it does with many of her ensembles. However, the move toward using children's hair grips is going way too far. It looks like she raided her daughter's hair ornaments.

That's the most exciting thing. Getting to know Catherine and through her personal style.

I think she should take some inspiration from Crown Princess Mary, but I have to accept her own personality and style. It will change over time though.

Beautiful coat which fits just perfectly. I like the elevated waist, it gives a slight twist. However, the coat isn't that unusual to really justify another blue coat, I agree. Or maybe not..do you have images for the 18 blue coats Gomnatt, so we could judge?

You could go to Pinterest and input "duchess of cambridge blue coat" and get quite a few of them, including at least one in the exact same shade of royal blue.

I really like the elevated waist on her. When she wears a belt at her natural waist, it's just never very flattering for her. We all have to dress for the body we have, and that often means returning to the cuts that work for us. She does have a lot of blue coats, but she does at least go for different shades of blue, for the most part, and I feel like she's pretty good both about rewearing items and about buying from reasonably priced brands as she does fancy, expensive ones. She's a princess, for goodness sake, and in the phase of her royal career where she's expected to be at her most stylish. If she didn't wear new things from time to time these days, the complaints would be deafening. When she reaches Anne and Camilla's age, the public will be more content to see her wear the same things over and over, but she's not to that stage in life yet.

Beautiful coat which fits just perfectly. I like the elevated waist, it gives a slight twist. However, the coat isn't that unusual to really justify another blue coat, I agree. Or maybe not..do you have images for the 18 blue coats Gomnatt, so we could judge?

I could absolutely put a post together, so just give me an hour or so! :flowers:

and done. (I had to put it on my tumblr because my photobucket wouldn't load for me.)

I put it by year. The two pre-wedding events were included because she later wore those coats again after her wedding. And I did include every event I could find, so the repeats are included.

Here is the post

A few comments: I don't know if the 2016 events are complete because I haven't finished compiling her 2016 events. And certainly my eyes might be mistaking a black coat for navy or grey for blue. Feel free to disagree.

I found 34 different events she wore a blue coat or coat/dress to. I included the blue/green plaid even though you could probably consider that more green than blue. There were a couple I didn't include because either I didn't think you could call it a coat or I wasn't really sure if it was blue. Again, feel free to disagree.

I believe 10 have been repeated at least once, with 2 being repeated more than 2 times. 11 have only been worn once, but one was in 2016 and one was in 2017, so they are still new. Two or three could be considered maternity coats, which may explain why she hasn't repeated them. And I'd really only consider one or two to be the same color as the one she just wore, but they are different styles. In the end, that leaves 21 different coats.

Last edited:
I think that she and her mother and sister share garments from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom