The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 20: October 2016 - February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a new Rebecca Taylor suit or her old blue one modified?

I think it's the old blue one ...if not it sure does look almost identical to it.

LaRae

Its a new suit. Slightly different color and the cut is different.

The new suit reminds me of her previous blue suit and the Missoni coat, nothing new.
The color suits her well but I'm not liking the fringes on the skirt. The dark blue pumps look good with the outfit and the half up hair-do looks great on her.

Is this a new Rebecca Taylor suit or her old blue one modified?

It is a new one, though very similar to the old one. Begs the question as to why the old one was not usedagain and a new one was required.

It is a new one, though very similar to the old one. Begs the question as to why the old one was not usedagain and a new one was required.

for the same reason that anyone buys a new outfit that is similar to an old one.

I almost love this one. But I hate that hem line or whatever you want to call it that's above the bottom hem line. I really can't stand that kind of styling. It makes no sense to me. But Otherwise, I quite like this suit.

I much preferred the old version, it was a favourite daytime working suit of mine on Kate. Seems bit much to get a second one same colour with a slight different design. If going for a second suit a new colour would have been better.

The blue look is stunning. Great color and design. This is one of her best looks.

Thank you duke for posting a picture of the old suit. That one was too short and didn't fit well at all. This one is a better color,lighter blue and love the fringes

Thank you duke for posting a picture of the old suit. That one was too short and didn't fit well at all. This one is a better color,lighter blue and love the fringes

too short? It's literally the same length as the new one. As for the fit, I think it was just the way it was made. But I do prefer how the new suit top fits over the old suit.

I get people buy multiples sometimes in a style they like. And the style suits her. But considering she has a suit and coat quite similar, it would be a nice change if she went with a different color. Style suits her, but change it up in color.

I agree the top here fits better. The Missoni coat is the best of the three looks.

The style suits her. its a good length as well and her hair looks lovely. :flowers:

Only major flaw, other then above similarity, I don't like the tiered fringe going on with the skirt. Looks odd.

She looks great in this latest variation. I like that it has a more contemporary and younger feel than some of the suits she wears. But given this is a woman that can look good in virtually any style and has the pick of any designer, to have three fairly similar outfits in terms of fabric and shade of colour - each appearing without any variation in terms of mixing with a different skirt or glimpse of a blouse or embellishment at the neck - it seems a little silly and laying yourself open to criticism of wasteful indulgence.

I definitely love the cleaner lines and style of the original suit, not to mention that that particular shade of blue suits her far more than the new one and is far more dramatic.

This new suit seems redundant because:
  • She already has a very flattering blue tweed Rebecca Taylor suit with fluffy fringe embellishments although this seems to be a dress and jacket
  • The jacket it is unflatteringly snug around the bust, tops of her arms and elbows, although this could be because of the bulk of the short-sleeved dress underneath, and just because we love them sooo much, it sports a frilly peplum at the back
  • The fluffy fringe embellishment is just too OTT. Around the collar, double line down the front and around the waist, accross the front just under the bust line, edged round the jacket hem and cuffs with a further row on the skirt, six or so inches above the hem and, just because we like them, a further fringe on the skirt hem
  • The skirt looks not quite "finished" with the material between the top and hem fringe looking slightly cobbled or misaligned
  • I loathe the silver thread tweed effect (really, silver flecks in tweed?)
All of which makes it one too many overly embellishedy fussy suit.

http://whatkatewore.com/wp-content/...ed-Suit-Splash-Hi-Res-4-26-2012-300-x-800.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017...ed_with_silver_thread_-a-44_1488278846671.jpg

And we mustn't forget the very similar Missoni Coat, also in blue tweed:

http://whatkatewore.com/wp-content/...ch-2012-Nottingham-June-2012-both-splash-.jpg

I like this suit far more that the similar one Kate owns. But think it is the tweed that makes the suit look a bit unfinished.

Lately it seems like Kate is buying too many similar clothes.

I can understand liking a particular outfit, but she is photographed everywhere she goes, so she should go for something different, not something that makes people speculate whether or not they've seen it before.

If that is the outcome, why not just wear the original, and get a reputation for thrift? (which she used to have, but now- not so much).

=Mirabel;1964702
If that is the outcome, why not just wear the original, and get a reputation for thrift? (which she used to have, but now- not so much).

Because a lot (not all) but a lot of criticism is for the sake of criticism.

Catherine could wear the same outfit everyday and it would too much for some people or she could wear something new everyday and it wouldn't be enough for others.

When she used to re wear a lot of her outfits, people said "c'mon. she's a princess, why doesn't she buy more high end"

I think she's found a comfortable working style and likes to stick with it. Hence similar outfits and colours.

I still think she spends much less than other royals on the continent or even in Britain. Does Sophie Wessex or Camilla shop at a second hand store?

I still think she spends much less than other royals on the continent or even in Britain. Does Sophie Wessex or Camilla shop at a second hand store?

You have a point.

Perhaps they don't, BUT.

The press is much less interested in them and what they wear, so they can get away with more. Sometimes they aren't even photographed, and usually their clothing isn't listed according to what it costs.

IMO she's no different than any woman here on this forum (or elsewhere)...if you find a style you like you generally buy things in that same genre ...color/fit etc.

Really doesn't make sense to complain about her buying clothes that look similar when we all do it!

LaRae

We don't all spend a ton of money on near identical clothes.

No one is suggesting she buy second hand. I love how people who defend Kate see the need to go to the absolute extremes.

All a few of us suggested, if she wanted a third practically identical outfit, change up the color. You can have your fringe tweed look you like, but there us a whole rainbow of colors.

Kate needs to learn what people without limitless budget know, how to mix and match. Why do the other royaks not get such hard time for recycling or even buying new pieces? Because they don't wear them exact same. They freshen them up. They add new pieces with old. Different accessories and So on.

Kate has great pieces. She needs to learn to mix and match. Get a few classic tops or pencil skirts in neutral. Her Blazers would look fantastic with a different skirt, not matching skirt. Or her blue fringe tweed skirt with a great white blouse, and a necklace. One of her jackets. Simple ways to reuse her expensive pieces but look fresh and new.

I think she's found a comfortable working style and likes to stick with it. Hence similar outfits and colours.

I agree that eventually most of the royal ladies have a favorite daytime "uniform" that they opt for engagements.

Time to close this thread. The new one can be found here.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom