The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 18: April 2016 - July 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another great look...even better today.

LaRae

According to Balanciaga, they are pearl and zircon

No, they are described as faux pearl, as in my link I posted.

The Balenciaga studs retail for $591 and are described by Balenciaga as "silver-tone brass studs, which showcase a supersized faux-pearl center and a surround of crystal pave.

As for today's look I am not a fan. Sorry but the pattern reminds me of the upholstery fabric on an old couch and I am tired of Peter Pan collars. I wont even mention the hat :ermm:

But the overall cut of the dress is lovely as is her hair. :flowers:

I really dislike today's lace dress. I know I'm in the minority but I think it's hideous. The collar and peplum are childlike, and the beige lace over black is aging, almost antique looking. It's kind of funny how in some of the Daily Mail pictures, the dress seems almost to be camouflage for the gravel she's walking on.

Today's outfit took me a while to think about what I thought. It aged her but if she had a fresh approach to her makeup, then it wouldve looked better IMO.
The peterman collar was ok but in general the look is childish. I also think the peplum and peterman collar in one looks is a bit too much.

I liked her hair do with that headpiece. The headpiece looks so much better with hair up, I was not a fan of previous times she wore that headpiece with hair open.

I think Catherine looked nice and sophisticated yesterday. I like the black and white combination of her coat, and I think the pillbox hat adds to the whole sophisticated feel of the outfit.

I want to like the outfit she wore today, however the design reminds me of curtains though I don't mind the pink background colour. I find the peter pan collar to make the outfit seem rather childish and not as sophisticated (whereas the outfit would have an okay feel if the peter pan collar wasn't there).

Last edited:
I dont care much for Catherine's look. Its an ok look but it somehow ages her a bit. I think if she wore a proper hat, it wouldve given a younger look. The pillbox is so unflattering and aging IMO. The eye make up is a bit too heavy.

The coat itself is lovely and she wore it well. I also thought it was a nice choice for the event.
I thought she was channeling Wallis!

Today's outfit took me a while to think about what I thought. It aged her but if she had a fresh approach to her makeup, then it wouldve looked better IMO.
The peterman collar was ok but in general the look is childish. I also think the peplum and peterman collar in one looks is a bit too much.

I liked her hair do with that headpiece. The headpiece looks so much better with hair up, I was not a fan of previous times she wore that headpiece with hair open.
Agreed. The peter lace peter pan collar and peplum was just too much with such a heavy lace look. OTOH, this was the first time that hat looked that good.

She has a lot of lace dresses they start to all look the same

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

First outfit in France- Love the hat- hate the outfit.
Second outfit- Ages her, and looks like she's wearing a tablecloth. Hate it.

Interesting the second outfit in France has not been identified yet.
According to whatkatewore.com , its been confirmed it's not an Alexander McQueen outfit nor a Dolce and Gabbana outfit, both fashion houses denied it's theirs.

For some reason, it reminds me of Burberry creation.

Since it is bespoke, I assume until some designer comes forward to claim it, we wont know for sure. Surprised no one has, no matter the mixed reviews (more I look at it the peplum needs to be added to my list of dislike of it, a flat front would have been slightly better), it is good PR for any designer to have her in their clothes.

Sophie Hallette, according to What Kate Wore.

I wonder if someone inside Buckingham Palace made it, maybe Angela Kelly. That may be why no one is coming forward.

Sophie Hallette is a lace maker. The house supplied the lace for Kate's wedding dress. Designers like McQueen would feature their lace work.

Créations Archive - Sophie Hallette

Thanks for the link. Some of the fashions made with the Sophie Hallette lace seem unlikely to ever be worn by Kate. (Nor will William ever wear those flamboyant lace pajamas).

I wonder if someone inside Buckingham Palace made it, maybe Angela Kelly. That may be why no one is coming forward.
At times, Kate has worn garments that KP has said was by an "Independant dressmaker" (First christmas coat, a black coat, eyelet dress etc) that has not been identified. Maybe this dress is made by the same person. People have had all kinds of speculations on who it might be. Natascha Archer, Charles, Carole, Sarah Burton, Angela Kelly, Kate herself etc etc has been brought up as speculations :p But as far as I know there has been no solid suggestions. I wonder why someone would not want to be identified.

If they are a small independent dressmaker maybe they don't want to be overwhelmed by the 'Kate effect' ...perhaps they aren't set up to mass produce clothing.

LaRae

The 'Kate effect' would have nothing to do with it. The dress is bespoke, one of a kind. Its not a matter of there being a rush to sell out. Nor is Hallette lace a cheap commodity, that masses of people would be able to afford a dress done in.

Small up and coming designers would want their name out even more. If they are that small (and they have to be descently big to get Kate's attention) they need PR. How better than to have Kate wear a design.

Likely is one of the queen's designers, they don't need the fame. Its a bit old fashioned and stuffy, not hard to see

. . . Agreed. The peter lace peter pan collar and peplum was just too much with such a heavy lace look. OTOH, this was the first time that hat looked that good.
Well, after seeing the video and watching Catherine moving, I have to admit the peplum added a whole different layer of femininity to the dress. It looked both pretty and flattering however, the jury is still out on the peter pan collar.

I really loved the lace dress and I thought she looked very appropriate for the occasion and beautiful.
As for her "secret" tailor; I have a thought. Suppose it is her mother or Catherine herself. If it were known, I can only imagine the fault finding on the styling, details and workmanship. And, clearly, this person is competent and could give instruction to Natan! I think it's amusing.

I am sorry but as old couch looking as I find the outfit, that is not homemade. There is actual craftsmanship put into working with that kind of lace, and some untrained seamstress on her singer at home, would not make that. Nor does anything about Kate or Carol scream home seamstress. No matter how one doesn't like the collar or peplum, or the upholstery feel, you cant deny the skill in crafting it.

As for Natan, many of his pieces are actually quite well made. Max certainly has a number of top weekly poll fashion choices from Natan.

I really loved the lace dress and I thought she looked very appropriate for the occasion and beautiful.
As for her "secret" tailor; I have a thought. Suppose it is her mother or Catherine herself. If it were known, I can only imagine the fault finding on the styling, details and workmanship. And, clearly, this person is competent and could give instruction to Natan! I think it's amusing.

No way. Angela Kelly is way more likely I think.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Angela Kelly gets credit for her dresses that the Queen wears. If she did a dress for Kate, why would it be hidden?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't know how secret it is. It justhasn't been identified by Internet world. When was the last time any of the BRF ladies announced who made their outfits?

:previous: They don't. But designers, whether big or small, are always happy for credit. Or they are off the rack and blogs recognize who it is from. Some bespoke are altered versions of runway outfits so easy to guess.

:previous: They don't. But designers, whether big or small, are always happy for credit. Or they are off the rack and blogs recognize who it is from. Some bespoke are altered versions of runway outfits so easy to guess.
Yes they do. The press get's a list of the designers for the events (often with colour describtion). But not for memorial events etc. But for most engagements KP gives the press the designers. And it was on those kind of occations that KP has said "Independant dressmaker" as the designer for some garments.

I recall one designer didn't want to be mentioned, it was an outfit she wore on her Malaysia, Solomon Islands & Tuvalu tour. If not mistaken, it was a yellow outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom