The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 17: January 2016 - April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now for tomorrow...the final day and the Taj Mahal. Going to be a big day.

LaRae

Green lace dress, I love the colour, hair is great but Kate needs a better bra!!

i agree, somewhat of a wardrobe malfunction with that dress and the bra - i don't know what was wrong with it, but her upper part looked strange, as if the bra provided no support or the dress was constraining her on the breast area.

If there is any day for a ponytail Kate it is when you are taking a 5 hour hike. I cant imagine having her hair in her face was pleasant for the hike.

And her ring and his watch I think could have been left behind. I know she loves her engagement ring, but certain physical activities it should be left behind. There is something about them that looks more like a photo op then an actual hike, even though they did.

Rebecca English had pack horses with her (not the horses Kate and Will had which were for riding if needed). Wondering if those pack horses had some gear for the royal couple, and not just the media, for the photo op moments.

I like her look over all. Will had a coat with him, so it may have been cooler at times. Like the scarf.

I would prefer a ponytail too, but loosen hair is so Kate! The sporty look was just a sporty look.

I am not sure how taking a hike would require the removal of wedding rings and watches.

LaRae

:previous: I just find it ridiculous when they are on a 5 hour strenuous hike, they are wearing expensive jewels. Easy enough to lose that stone if she slipped or him to scratch the watch. Like wearing her blown out curls instead of a practical hair do for the hike, I get the feeling she was more focussed on looking good for the hike then practicality. That is just my opinion.

I think Kate looked appropriate and lovely. Obviously it was cool as she added a scarf and I don't think she would have done so for a "photo op". As to the jewelry .... it would not occur to me take off my engagement ring etc., for going on a hike. Everyone to their own taste but I think it is a bit of a nit pick ..... IMO.

It's a fashion thread. I could argue complaints about how she parts her hair is nit pick. But that's just me. Its not my place to comment on people 'nit picky'. Some people are bothered she is wearing riding boots not hiking, I am bothered she wears an expensive ring to climb a mountain.

I find the jewelry, adding the scarf for pictures, and the hair a tad 'photo op'. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

Now for tomorrow...the final day and the Taj Mahal. Going to be a big day.

LaRae

I'm literally on the edge of my seat wondering if she will wear red and purple? Half of me hopes not and half of me hope yes!
I think Kate will be fine, but I just hope Wills makes it through in a positive way. That is heavy baggage. Fingers crossed for a great day.

There are a lot of outfits for me to catch up on! I liked most of the outfits Catherine wore in India and Bhutan (so far), there have only been a couple I disliked.
I liked the outfit Catherine wore whilst hiking today, but I think it looks a little too thick for the Bhutanese weather, as like others here have pointed out, it looked warm there today.

:previous: I just find it ridiculous when they are on a 5 hour strenuous hike, they are wearing expensive jewels. Easy enough to lose that stone if she slipped or him to scratch the watch. Like wearing her blown out curls instead of a practical hair do for the hike, I get the feeling she was more focussed on looking good for the hike then practicality. That is just my opinion.

They are basically being watched and photographed 24/7 there...of course she's going to take care with her appearance and be concerned about looking good...heck there's a whole freaking forum here that talks about her appearance.

Some people with long hair don't mind it being around their neck etc...apparently she wanted to wear it down. I'm thinking it was cool at the start of the trip since later we see her with her vest removed.

Watches can be repaired if they get scratches....not likely that stone is going to be lost, I'm fairly certain the prongs are checked frequently. Even so it's not like they couldn't replace the stone if they had to...pretty sure they can afford that.

LaRae

I'm literally on the edge of my seat wondering if she will wear red and purple? Half of me hopes not and half of me hope yes!
I think Kate will be fine, but I just hope Wills makes it through in a positive way. That is heavy baggage. Fingers crossed for a great day.

I am going to guess they will do what they can to avoid that...I'm not even sure they will pose in front of it considering all the carrying on that went on over Diana being there alone.

LaRae

I think Kate looked appropriate and lovely. Obviously it was cool as she added a scarf and I don't think she would have done so for a "photo op". As to the jewelry .... it would not occur to me take off my engagement ring etc., for going on a hike. Everyone to their own taste but I think it is a bit of a nit pick ..... IMO.
I'm in agreement with you Princess of Durham, I know that just performing daily tasks around the house, at work or simply living can damage my engagement ring so going on a hike while wearing it isn't a concern for me.:)

Most women wear their engagement and wedding rings almost all of the time. I only take mine off to shower.

I think she's the same. She's never been pictures without her engagement ring since her engagement. It's not an expensive fashion ring to her- it's a personal one.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The hike was less than 2 hours each way and from the pictures it looks like some of the path was paved.

As far as the daytime outfits.
April 10 Alexander McQueen red paisley skirt & top
April 10 Anita Dongre pink & aqua Gulrukh tunic dress
April 11 Emilia Wickstead wool crepe midi dress
April 12 Glamorous red print with navy border maxi dress
April 12 Temperley sea green paneled dress
April 13 Topshop embroidered pink & black with flowers midi dress
April 14 Tory Burch “Chrissy” blue multi color print jersey dress
April 14 Emilia Wickstead yellow coatdress
April 14 Paul & Joe embroidered wool white cape with purple and teal wrap skirt

April 13 Zara trousers with white & brown polka dots shirt
April 15 Zara trousers with white shirt & leather vest

IMO some these outfits will probably never see another 'public' outing.

Rating in order of possible reuse
#1 Temperley sea green paneled dress worn on April 12
#2 Emilia Wickstead wool crepe midi dress worn on April 11
#3 Alexander McQueen red paisley skirt & top worn on April 10

This dress will probably not be reworn in public.
Topshop embroidered pink & black with flowers midi dress worn on April 13

These two, IMO, will never see the light of day unless she attends an Elephant Family or some Asian inspired outdoor event.
Anita Dongre pink & aqua Gulrukh tunic dress worn on April 10
Glamorous red print with navy border maxi dress worn on April 12

These two were previously worn so reuse will probably happen.
Tory Burch “Chrissy” blue multi color print jersey dress worn on April 14
Emilia Wickstead yellow coatdress worn on April 14

Paul & Joe embroidered wool white cape with purple and teal wrap skirt worn on April 14.
The cape will probably have a very rare outing in the future

As for the wrap, I think she should make a dress out of it. It look like it is just material and would make a really nice dress. It is a nice shade of purple and the design is muted.

My favorite was the purple wrap skirt. The best dress was the Anita Dongre pink & aqua Gulrukh tunic dress.

Last edited:
Most women wear their engagement and wedding rings almost all of the time. I only take mine off to shower.

I think she's the same. She's never been pictures without her engagement ring since her engagement. It's not an expensive fashion ring to her- it's a personal one.

I have never understood why lots of women wear a diamond ring to go about all their day to day activities. Surely most take them off to do housework and gardening and when they go to the beach. But Diana's engagement ring is not an ordinary engagement ring. It is now worth about £300,000 ($US460,000). That is a seriously valuable trinket, and not one I would risk wearing if were out bushwalking. But this "hike" seems to have been fairly tame from what we've seen, tiring largely because of the altitude and steepness of parts of the track. They seem to have been walking without needing hiking poles, and don't seem to have needed to clamber over rocks, so maybe Big Blue wasn't in any danger.

They are basically being watched and photographed 24/7 there...of course she's going to take care with her appearance and be concerned about looking good...heck there's a whole freaking forum here that talks about her appearance.

Some people with long hair don't mind it being around their neck etc...apparently she wanted to wear it down. I'm thinking it was cool at the start of the trip since later we see her with her vest removed.

Watches can be repaired if they get scratches....not likely that stone is going to be lost, I'm fairly certain the prongs are checked frequently. Even so it's not like they couldn't replace the stone if they had to...pretty sure they can afford that.

LaRae

Again I am simply stating MY OPINION. I am not attacking Kate. No need to get so defensive. I think being able to know how to 'dress down' appropriately is as important as knowing how to dress up. Nor do I think 'who cares if they damage jewelry, they have the money to repair it' is a good way to think of things. I have a million dollars, I guess I can use a thousand dollar bill to light a cigarette, I have more right???

People are entitled to their own opinions. Stop taking it as some personal attack on Kate.

Perhaps that is better stated as ...most women you know.

Many women take off their rings to do things like clean dishes. Play sports. Go swimming. Garden. Do activities where either the ring could be damaged or get in the way.

The fact that it isn't simply a fancy jewel is all the more reason IMO. As La Rae said, they have plenty of money, she looses an expensive earring, it can be replaced. But that ring and that stone have a lot of history that couldn't be replaced.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I have never understood why lots of women wear a diamond ring to go about all their day to day activities. Surely most take them off to do housework and gardening and when they go to the beach. But Diana's engagement ring is not an ordinary engagement ring. It is now worth about £300,000 ($US460,000). That is a seriously valuable trinket, and not one I would risk wearing if were out bushwalking. But this "hike" seems to have been fairly tame from what we've seen, tiring largely because of the altitude and steepness of parts of the track. They seem to have been walking without needing hiking poles, and don't seem to have needed to clamber over rocks, so maybe Big Blue wasn't in any danger.

Quite simply, because it's actually really tough to damage a ring, especially a diamond. They're rocks. They're built to be resilient, and wearing it every day is important to me.

Of course I take I off if I really think it's a risk (while swimming in the ocean for example) but I hike up mountains pretty routinely and yea, it's more of an uphill walk, not something that would ever pose a risk to my rings.

I can't see any reason she should have not worn her wedding rings on a long walk being covered by media.

It's such a silly criticism.

The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 17: January 2016 -

It's a fashion thread. I could argue complaints about how she parts her hair is nit pick. But that's just me. Its not my place to comment on people 'nit picky'. Some people are bothered she is wearing riding boots not hiking, I am bothered she wears an expensive ring to climb a mountain.

I find the jewelry, adding the scarf for pictures, and the hair a tad 'photo op'. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

Considering how you tend to post about the Duchess, you saying it's not your place to comment on nit picky-ness....Excuse me while I head over to that corner over there to laugh myself silly....

They both looked fine, but I guess those who need a reason will find one in order to continue to criticize Kate, regardless of how silly it both is and makes them look.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Quite simply, because it's actually really tough to damage a ring, especially a diamond. They're rocks. They're built to be resilient, and wearing it every day is important to me.

Of course I take I off if I really think it's a risk (while swimming in the ocean for example) but I hike up mountains pretty routinely and yea, it's more of an uphill walk, not something that would ever pose a risk to my rings.

I can't see any reason she should have not worn her wedding rings on a long walk being covered by media.

It's such a silly criticism.

So what is the defining line between valid criticism and silly criticism? Surely all criticisms on a fashion thread are based on the commenter's personal opinions, and aren't all personal opinions supposed to be respected here?

And my criticism was of her wearing the engagement ring, not her wedding ring. I understand a person not wanting to remove their wedding ring. For one thing, they usually fit snuggly and aren't likely to fall off, and, for another, they are smooth and aren't likely to snag in anything.

I personally think it's ridiculous to wear a honking great lump of obscenely valuable blue rock on her finger during a bush walk. Whether or not the thing can get scratched, it is possible that the stone could be dislodged, and wouldn't that be embarrassing! Bush walking here often involves climbing over rocks and holding on to trees and jewellery like that just gets in the way and can be knocked, and no-one I know would wear such a ring on a bush walk. It seems Kate's experience was just a walk though, but I think it's ridiculous to wear it in the bush for any purpose. In my opinion such a ring should only be worn when you're going out and dressed up, not dressed down for outdoor activities.

The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 17: January 2016 -

They weren't bush walking through a jungle. There was a well worn trail to the monastery. It's a tourist attraction so they want people to get to it. It's the altitude that can make it hard not the trail itself.

It's also Kate's ring. She can do with it as she wants. If she didn't wear it- the Daily Mail probably has a story questioning the status of her marriage.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
Oh heavens...can you imagine the craziness that would erupt if she went in public without it? They'd start with all the C&D stuff again too.

LaRae

They weren't bush walking through a jungle. There was a well worn trail to the monastery. It's a tourist attraction so they want people to get to it. It's the altitude that can make it hard not the trail itself.

It's also Kate's ring. She can do with it as she wants. If she didn't wear it- the Daily Mail probably has a story questioning the status of her marriage.

Why would anyone query the absence of an engagement ring on a hike? I didn't suggest she not wear her wedding ring.

It's Catherine engagement ring. She was walking with her husband. It would be silly to take it off. It is such a statement piece that if she is ever seen without it she would be criticised . And I would wager a bet she would be criticised by the same people finding fault with her wearing it on the hike. This over criticism of this young lady is ridiculous.

It's Catherine engagement ring. She was walking with her husband. It would be silly to take it off. It is such a statement piece that if she is ever seen without it she would be criticised . And I would wager a bet she would criticised by the same people finding fault with her wearing it on the hike. This over criticism of this young lady is ridiculous.

It will always be Diana's engagement ring to me. It was bought for her.

Why on earth would Kate be criticised for being seen without the ring? That makes no sense to me. It's only a piece of jewellery, and jewellery that I think is a ridiculous item to wear on a hike, regardless of who she's hiking with. I thought it looked ridiculous worn when she was abseiling, too.

She is 34, that's not young.

Why on earth would Kate be criticised for being seen without the ring? That makes no sense to me. It's only a piece of jewellery, and jewellery that I think is a ridiculous item to wear on a hike, regardless of who she's hiking with. I thought it looked ridiculous worn when she was abseiling, too.

Are you kidding me?
I could careless if you think its Diana's ring . Its not anymore. Its Catherine's ring and she can do whatever she wants with it. I find it shocking that some people are actually telling a young woman when and how to wear her engagement ring.

Last edited:

It's Kate's engagement ring. She's never been seen without it since she got engaged. It's unreasonable to suggest she should have taken it off for a walk- smacks of looking for something, anything to criticize.

[/B]
Are you kidding me?
I could careless if you think its Diana's ring . Its not anymore. Its Catherine ring and she can do whatever she wants with it. I find it shocking that some people are actually telling a young woman when and how to wear her engagement ring.

I find the outrage from some over here when a contrary opinion is expressed about these two is hugely entertaining.

I'm not telling her when and how to do anything - despite the fact that I think she needs a lot of advice in that regard - I am merely stating my opinion about what she does and what she wears, and the impression her actions leave on me. I am entitled to have an opinion, and to express it.

If her ring is on her finger, then she knows where it is at all times. For all we know, she could have had a duplicate made to wear 24/7 and the "real" ring is sequestered in a vault somewhere with armed guards on duty and will never see the light of day again and be totally forgotten.

We now return you to the discussion of daytime fashion. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom