The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 17: January 2016 - April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate looks more than slightly awkward and a bit lost IMO. Beautiful design on the cape-top but it's not really Kate's style.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she looks wonderful a nod to the host country and a lovely gesture having the skirt made in Bhutan.

The yellow outfit is very nice on her....and so is the one she wore to meet the King and Queen of Bhutan (who are said to be in love also)....lovely clothing.

LaRae

This blog also has a few pictures of the couple leaving India - Kate was wearing her Tony Burch paisley print dress from June 2014
http://hrhduchesskate.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/royal-repeats-for-kate-as-tour-moves-to.html

Good to see her recycling the Thistle Day coat-dress - not overly sure about the addition of the belt in the same material. Kate does love a belt

Lovely nod to her host country by wearing a traditional inspired outfit.
Duchess Kate: Kate in Bhutanese Kira Inspired Look to Meet the King and Queen of Bhutan

Kate looks more than slightly awkward and a bit lost IMO. Beautiful design on the cape-top but it's not really Kate's style.
No, but it's a lovely gesture.
Native dress is the law. I'll be interested to see what the native ladies wear for the 6 hour hike.

The gold coat dress is lovely. I like the earrings as well.

I think Kate makes the purple outfit work. She wears it well even though it is a bit stylistically different for her, and it's a nice nod to the host country. I don't think she wears purple a lot; it looks good on her.

I think your right I have felt that something is a bit off. I think while trying to dress to please her hosts and the press etc she has lost her own look

I am sure the efforts to dress appropriately are much appreciated, I think Kate would have looked more awkward had she worn a coatdress (and a fascinator) to meet the King & Queen. "When in Rome..." as the saying goes.

As other posters have said, effort appreciated, but i don't think she hit it right.

I think Kate makes the purple outfit work. She wears it well even though it is a bit stylistically different for her, and it's a nice nod to the host country. I don't think she wears purple a lot; it looks good on her.

I don't like it; it makes the thinnest woman look overlarge, and I can't see Kate ever recycling that!

But as everyone says, it's meant as a compliment to the host country.

Kate looks wonderful, and I'm sure everyone in Bhutan is very impressed that she tried to meet their customs and dress with her own - i.e. the mixing of East and West matched in her clothes.

I have no idea where the idea of Catherine being "lost" or "awkward" comes from. In the videos I've seen, it looks like any other tour destination - she is friendly, chatty, and composed.

I quite like the nod to Bhutan. The cape though looks to big on her, like a maternity piece. I think it would have been great if she went the whole hog, and had a top like the queen to match the skirt. The queen's top is more fitted, likely do the style of belt.

It may not be her 'style' but the effort here is a good one. :flowers: I think it far better than her attempt at Indian by wearing paisley patterns and red. In India there is a wide variety of fashion. In Bhutan women are all required to dress in this style, and I like that she has respected that for this meeting.

If only William had worn something similar to the clothing of the King...

Dress is by Topshop.
I love this dress, its young, it's summery and colorful with a lovely print and black detailing.

More pictures

Full view ** Full view 2 ** Close up

Another nice print dress. It's so refreshing to see Kate wearing stuff with bolder prints, not just simply print or no print at all.

This blog also has a few pictures of the couple leaving India - Kate was wearing her Tony Burch paisley print dress from June 2014
Duchess Kate: Royal Repeats for Kate as Tour Moves to Bhutan!

Good to see her recycling the Thistle Day coat-dress - not overly sure about the addition of the belt in the same material. Kate does love a belt

Lovely nod to her host country by wearing a traditional inspired outfit.
Duchess Kate: Kate in Bhutanese Kira Inspired Look to Meet the King and Queen of Bhutan

The yellow coat dress is lovely. As for the Tory Burch dress it looked quite ugly. I wish she chose other better Tory dresses.

Nice gesture to Bhutan. Kate looked quite lovely in this outfit.

If only William had worn something similar to the clothing of the King...

I've thought about this and I have to disagree. With a British male royal in particular, it would have looked like he was trying to play dress up.

For whatever reason, a female royal can emulate the dress of another country she's visiting quite easily - as Catherine did, for example, by mixing materials and pieces from the host country and her home country, creating an individual, yet tribute-full, outfit.

I don't think William has even been in a kilt since he was a kid...it's not him. His father wears one easily and well...as does Phillip....but it's not William (or Harry's) forte.

So it would make sense that it would look odd on William to 'dress up' as Kate did...he would be entirely uncomfortable.

LaRae

Nice gesture to the host country. I think she looked great.

Harry and Will seem to take after Andrew, in avoiding kilts. Edward, Charles and Philip all seem at home in them, but I don't think Andrew has worn one since his young adult years (or often if he has).

Nice gesture to the host country. I think she looked great.

I agree and likely the hosts appreciated that she opted to change into the skirt and top.

I like the yellow dress but I was hoping to see a new dress though.

The purple outfit is so pretty! It was so nice of her to dress like the women in Bhutan, but with a nice western touch. The cape is beautiful, look at that print, so pretty!
But I agree it's not her style, she had a bit trouble walking with that skirt, but it's not something negative, but understandable. At the sports, she looked more confortable and having fun. What a great tour!

I love both of the outfits for the first day in Bhutan. The light gold outfit is very appropriate as it matches the light gold of the clothes we sometime see the King and Queen of Bhutan wear.
As for the second outfit.....well, I have always been a fan of capes and the caped top is beautiful and a very unusual style for Catherine to wear. I had hoped she would wear one of the long, Bhutanese skirts and was not disappointed. It is a sort of fusion fashion, cleverly thought out!

:previous: I for one am happy she wore an old dress (the gold). There was no need for a completely new wardrobe for the trip. The gold dress (and the dress she wore to board the airplane) were pretty minor. They were just arrival/departure. She wasn't in the gold very long and it would be a shame to have a new dress for such a short entrance.

The first outfit from today, the yellow coat was disappointing. It was dull and I dont like the fact you can see the button stitch from the front view, either have a button or a flap to cover it.

The second outfit, amazing! I loved the colors and the combination of the cape and skirt.

I love the yellow dress. The color and style work for Catherine. The outfit that was chosen for the arrival to Bhutan is a nice nod to the host country. I really love the color of the skirt, but not too crazy about the top.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The yellow dress is very lovely. I love the color.

The top is exquisite but I dislike the skirt.

Second outfit of the day is my favorite. I loved the color and the combination of the cape and skirt. I agree would love to see more purple on Catherine. :flowers:

I don't like it but I think for the engagement it is appropriate but it is an odd matching of colours Queen Jetsun looks gorgeous

The Queen of Bhutan is gorgeous no matter what she wears. Her husband isn't too bad on the eyes either.

Is there a 'room' here that follows them?

LaRae

I've thought about this and I have to disagree. With a British male royal in particular, it would have looked like he was trying to play dress up.

For whatever reason, a female royal can emulate the dress of another country she's visiting quite easily - as Catherine did, for example, by mixing materials and pieces from the host country and her home country, creating an individual, yet tribute-full, outfit.

Oh, I agree! I was just speculating for my own amusement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom