The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 17: January 2016 - April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The color is fine, but not a fan of tea length!

Still, if it had been shorter, I'm certain the press would be talking wardrobe malfunction, due to that wind.

Yes, the wind has not been a friend to Kate's dresses and hair on several occasions since her marriage, and today, at a very important and serious occasion it struck again. I think a pencil skirt and hair swept back in a ponytail would have been a much better option for Kate than standing there at a wreath-laying ceremony constantly trying to stop her skirts blowing up and her hair becoming uncontrollable.

We've seen this before. Perhaps a pencil skirt and hair put back in a ponytail would have been better at this very important and solemn occasion.

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing I though of when I saw the dress was that she was trying a nod to a safari jacket. Often worn in the past in India.
It's a fail, but I actually expected something echoing a safari jacket with chest pockets.
And in answer to the oft asked question - she has not learned about the wind and I now doubt she much cares.

I understand it's a hot country and you need move ability in outfits but that's just un called for. It's material that's the problem.

The dress is lovely- the color, the fit, but the flaps don't work.

I understand it's a hot country and you need move ability in outfits but that's just un called for. It's material that's the problem.

I get this image of Rebekah (or whomever) doing the pretrip work with a little wind meter in their hand and thinking - we have no need to check the wind inside that memorial. Oops, anyone who has ever been in memorials knows the wind swirls in odd ways around the massive stone.

I get this image of Rebekah (or whomever) doing the pretrip work with a little wind meter in their hand and thinking - we have no need to check the wind inside that memorial. Oops, anyone who has ever been in memorials knows the wind swirls in odd ways around the massive stone.

Just watched this on the news. She was laying the wreath whilst having a simultaneous fight with her hair and dress. When will she learn to put weights in her skirt especially for solemn occasions like this one where her skirt blowing up looks even worse? Unfortunately the photographers also managed to capture the moment. Despite that the dress itself is very nice and cool looking.

Seriously, they are at wreath laying ceremony and Kate struggles to stop her dress and hair flapping in the wind???
Hasn't she learned from previous incidents?? It's not a holiday, how about suitable clothing, I wish somebody would tell her got get it right, she's been a Princess for many years now.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/11/12/330F0FD800000578-3533405-image-a-52_1460372475902.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/11/12/330F106E00000578-3533405-image-a-54_1460372717962.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/11/12/330F111600000578-3533405-image-a-55_1460372804786.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/11/11/330EFE3F00000578-3533405-image-a-43_1460371614707.jpg

It's either a bad joke or she likes the attention that such pictures create.

I can't believe she's done it again really when is she going to learn

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Oh Kate the fly-away skirt issue arises again when will you learn. You can see in the pictures her trying to manage her hair and skirt at the same time - never mind stopping the hair blowing worry more about your skirt especially considering you were standing laying a wreath at the war memorial.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/10/08/3305FFEA00000578-3532239-image-a-102_1460274406113.jpg

I think the bottom half of the dress looks better than the top half.

Is it a dress or a skirt and top?
The design on the bottom of the top clashes with the skirt.
The puckering from the neck makes the dress look ill fitting.
:bang:Why oh why is there a belt?

I think a solid red top would have looked nicer along with black pumps.

I am glad someone else noticed the ill fitting nature of the top half of the arrival McQueen outfit. Everyone raved about it but i was like it does her no favours to flatter and fit her figure, partly cause of the nature of the material and her shocking slouchy stanch.

I like the white dress from today's engagements - there are a few things to adjust like the pockets and the issue of the fly-away skirt. I think Sophie Countess of Wessex wore a similar style to this one that she wore a year at Ascot.
When i see Kate in outfits i often think how and where could this be reworn and this Emelia Wickstead dress could easily be seen at her engagements in the UK. It has the clean and simple lines that Kate favours and the white colour is perfect for summer events.
Her hair needed pulled back for this event especially with the big Peter-pan collar. And Kate ditch the pointless Mulberry clutch there is nothing in it and the size and flatness of it look silly - the clutch looks like a purse not a bag and its not even a a nice design there are heaps nicer Mulberry bags out there. Love the Rupert Sanderson shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't take any of these complaints seriously

India day one
Her Alexander McQueen is amazing. Very beautiful decent and it's great to see her in bolder prints.

The Anita Dongre dress is meh, the print is quite ordinary so... but nice to see her wearing an Indian designer number.

India day two
Like everything about the creamy dress except the weird boob flaps.

I think todays' frock is a simple white dress, that's about it. I was hoping for something more "solemn" but, after all, it must not be easy to find a more formal outfit in a light fabric.

Seriously, they are at wreath laying ceremony and Kate struggles to stop her dress and hair flapping in the wind???
Hasn't she learned from previous incidents?? It's not a holiday, how about suitable clothing, I wish somebody would tell her got get it right, she's been a Princess for many years now.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/11/12/330F0FD800000578-3533405-image-a-52_1460372475902.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/11/12/330F106E00000578-3533405-image-a-54_1460372717962.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/11/12/330F111600000578-3533405-image-a-55_1460372804786.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/11/11/330EFE3F00000578-3533405-image-a-43_1460371614707.jpg

It wasn't a bad moment, so it's not a big deal. It happens.

Does it? Who else has it happened to at a solemn occasion like a wreath laying honouring a nation's soldiers? (soldiers who fought for the Empire actually.) Has it happened to the Queen, the Queen Mother, Princess Alexandra, Diana or to Sophie Wessex at wreath laying ceremonies? Has it happened to Queens Maxima, Mathilde, Letizia, even before they became Queen Consorts? Funny how I never saw the Queen as Princess Elizabeth, or Princess Margaret fighting with their hair and skirts at ceremonies!

This isn't the first time with Kate, but the latest in a series. We've seen her bare backside in Canada, her full legs up to the top of her thighs getting off the plane in Australia and on several other occasions. What's so wrong with weighting hems or wearing a pony tail or a chignon? Her behaviour at the wreathlaying just looked messy and unprofessional for someone representing the UK, IMO.

With Letizia it happened, I think once or twice.
With almost the older generation royal, almost never. But these ladies had tailored outfits, I presume that it is so difficult to put weights in designer's dresses ?
No idea. But it is true, with Kate it happened very often and it is really annoying.

I think todays' frock is a simple white dress, that's about it. I was hoping for something more "solemn" but, after all, it must not be easy to find a more formal outfit in a light fabric.

How is it not easy to find a more formal outfit in a light fabric? Silk and cotton can be made into whatever you want them to be. Outwith the blowing up of the skirt (again) I would have expected a more formal outfit and hat combination for this event anyway. A proper fitted dress with updo and wide brimmed hat, for example, would have looked appropriate and dignified as well as keeping her cool in the sun. Instead we get a rather casual dress and hair combination that ends up out of control when the wind starts blowing. How hard can it be to dress properly? As another poster noted, other royals manage to travel the world in all different temperatures and conditions whilst looking appropriate.

Last edited:
Well I was hoping better photos would help my view of the dress and it does a bit. I like the color, the length and the cut. I can even over look the collar. But the boob flaps are even worse close up.

And she either needs to figure out how to put weights in her skirt or wear more tailored skirts. Yes these things can happen, but they happen far too often for her. This was a solemn event. Her hair tied back, even a ponytail, and her skirt weighted, would have done the trick.

I can't take any of these complaints seriously
It was a solemn occasion, it needs to be to be taken seriously. I've been to some, and I always feel I need to respect and look apropriate for the occasion. It's common sense.
If it was her first time, ok, she didn't know, but it happened to her many times now, people learn with experiences no?

In fact, when I saw the cream/white dress in the morning I thought she would change outfits for the solemn occasion...

The Emelia Wickstead dress is nice and tailored well, but I agree, how hard is it for the designers to put weights in the skirts. I'm sure that Angela Kelly could show them how since she's been taking care of the Queen for some time now. Because it is quite annoying since it tends to keep happening. Other than that, she has looked very nice.

The Emelia Wickstead dress is nice and tailored well, but I agree, how hard is it for the designers to put weights in the skirts. I'm sure that Angela Kelly could show them how since she's been taking care of the Queen for some time now. Because it is quite annoying since it tends to keep happening. Other than that, she has looked very nice.

You can't blame the designers it's up to Kate to ask them to do it.

It is possible that the hem is already weighted but still was caught by the wind. I've seen photos of HM's hems moving up and we know that those were weighted.

If anyone paid attention to the pictures, instead of having a fit because a little wind caught her skirt, you will see Catherine very elegantly controlled her skirt for the wreath laying-

The Cambridges

The only thing I don't like about the white dress is the pockets. I'm not sure why the designer thought that was a good idea. But if I ignore those, then the dress is really quite lovely.

Does it? Who else has it happened to at a solemn occasion like a wreath laying honouring a nation's soldiers? (soldiers who fought for the Empire actually.) Has it happened to the Queen, the Queen Mother, Princess Alexandra, Diana or to Sophie Wessex at wreath laying ceremonies? Has it happened to Queens Maxima, Mathilde, Letizia, even before they became Queen Consorts? Funny how I never saw the Queen as Princess Elizabeth, or Princess Margaret fighting with their hair and skirts at ceremonies!

This isn't the first time with Kate, but the latest in a series. We've seen her bare backside in Canada, her full legs up to the top of her thighs getting off the plane in Australia and on several other occasions. What's so wrong with weighting hems or wearing a pony tail or a chignon? Her behaviour at the wreathlaying just looked messy and unprofessional for someone representing the UK, IMO.

I don't know about the other women, but it has happened to Camilla and Diana at solemn ceremonies/places. When Camilla visited Egypt in 2006, she had to deal with her skirt flying up while laying a wreath at a war cemetry. This Telegraph article has a small photo and briefly touches on what they call her "Marilyn Monroe disaster". We also saw her struggle with her hat and coat dress during one of the D-day ceremonies in 2014.

Diana's moment happened while laying a wreath during a visit to Cairo in 1992.

No one wants to have to deal with wardrobe malfunctions, but unfortunately they happen. I mean last year Camilla had two wind incidents (that I can recall) - one in Australia and the other at Charlotte's christening. Yet, the media chooses to focus only on Kate.

As for Kate's hair, she has worn plenty of ponytails and updos, but she just prefers to wear her down. I don't see the problem with that. Personally, I think it would be boring as heck if she just wore ponytails, and updos for the majority of her engagements.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you soapstar. Yes mother nature has continued her tricks from one generation to the next when it comes to skirts.;)

Have we seen Camilla and the Queen's bare behinds, because unfortunately we have with Kate's? As for looking Kate looking 'dignified' when dealing with her hair and skirts at the wreath-laying, the DM photos show quite the reverse.

Have we seen Camilla and the Queen's bare behinds, because unfortunately we have with Kate's? As for looking Kate looking 'dignified' when dealing with her hair and skirts at the wreath-laying, the DM photos show quite the reverse.

The DM just wanted to show the skirt blowing, but if you look at the real pics, you will see she handled it beautiful and nothing showed. I think people really need to stop this overreaction, because this stuff has happened to The Queen, Diana, Sarah, Camilla and countless other women. It's not something they want to happen. Naturally, the wind blows skirts up sometimes. I see women going through this all of the time. It's not a big deal.

Catherine controlled her skirt and remained dignified through the the little ceremony. One must carry on.

Sorry, but the DM were 'real pictures', not studio mockups. And we've already seen all, and I mean ALL of Kate. I really don't want to see any more. Just wear pencil skirts (or slacks) near planes and helicopters, Kate, and straight skirts everywhere else. And keep your hair from blowing everywhere at official engagements, especially solemn ones.

The DM just wanted to show the skirt blowing, but if you look at the real pics, you will see she handled it beautiful and nothing showed. I think people really need to stop this overreaction, because this stuff has happened to The Queen, Diana, Sarah, Camilla and countless other women. It's not something they want to happen. Naturally, the wind blows skirts up sometimes. I see women going through this all of the time. It's not a big deal.

Catherine controlled her skirt and remained dignified through the the little ceremony. One must carry on.

I think the point is that, of course, these things happen from time to time but with Kate it is a constant problem. There is a royal forum that has a particular dislike for Kate and they were practically placing bets that she would 'flash' at some point during this tour as it has happened so often. Needless to say they are laughing their heads off now as she's let it happen again. I'm sorry but stopping your skirt blowing up is not rocket science and it really needs to stop.

Perhaps we should create a new thread - "Duchess of Cambridge outfits and "flying accidents"....:bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom