The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 16: September 2015 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently it's Alexander McQueen

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The coat looks interesting and different, I would like to see a full picture before I actually judge. I like the hair but not the headpiece.
Does anyone know who the coat is by?

I agree about the coat as I see it different, but I do not like.

Kate looked appropriate. Not my favourite coat but a nice little twist on a black coat. I love that hat though. It has the modern shape associated with her in a nice angle and size but a bit of a retro feel with the netting. I like it! I even like the little butterfly bow. It feels hopeful somehow!

I liked her coat. It must be a difficult balance to get a tailored black coat year after year knowing you will be standing with at least 2 other women with the same guidelines essentially wearing the exact same thing. You want to be fresh, but not call attention to yourself. Not sure about the hat and netting. Maxima's hat is more my style ( albeit not Kate's). I think Kate is wearing the same tuxedo dress underneath as last year with the pleated/ ruffled collar

I love the coat (at least what I can see), but I'm not liking the fascinator. She has better ones.

The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 16: September 2015 -

After I really looked at the picture, I think there's too much going on with the different fabrics; velvet on the collar and the tops of the sleeves, darker color at the waist and where the buttons are...too fussy. The style is classic and would have been just fine if it were just black wool. Sometimes simplicity really is the best option...

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
There is a lot of detail to take in with Catherine's outfit today, but I like the individual components of the coat and hat - the veiling of the hat is a nice touch.

I don't like Catherine's Remembrance Day coat. It is the same problem I have with the dresses Letizia wears that have one fabric for the front and one for the back. This looks like it was supposed to be a black velvet coat but they ran out of fabric and so pieced in black wool. If it really is McQueen I am sure they think it is "edgy" but this is not the occasion for edgy. A good basic black coat would be perfect and she could get 4 or 5 years out of it with no problem. I am also not wild about the hat. I like big hats. I would love to see Catherine try something like the Maxima is wearing.

After I really looked at the picture, I think there's too much going on with the different fabrics; velvet on the collar and the tops of the sleeves, darker color at the waist and where the buttons are...too fussy. The style is classic and would have been just fine if it were just black wool. Sometimes simplicity really is the best option...

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

And I loved it. It has just enough going on that it is not just another Catherine coat in black. And I just think McQueen styles flatter her so. We really are all over the place today, like/dislike the veil/coat/hat.

Her hair was perfect for the hat and the event I thought.

I liked the Catherine wore today except her hat which I wasn't mad about.

I love the coat. Very beautiful and elegant. I dislike her hat however.

I hate when she plonks a small hat onto her head when her hair is hanging long and loose, no matter how nice the hat in question is it is never going to look good when it's sitting on top of untidy hair. She does this a lot and today was another example. Small hats only ever look good with an updo, Kate has worn them with updo's before and the effect is like night and day when compared to when her hair is just hanging there, even when it is half up and half down it is a big improvement yet she still returns time and again to the look she had today, I can't understand it.

Probably more filled in today.

Looks like a couple of caterpillars crawled onto her forehead, ha,ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate when she plonks a small hat onto her head when her hair is hanging long and loose, no matter how nice the hat in question is it is never going to look good when it's sitting on top of untidy hair. She does this a lot and today was another example. Small hats only ever look good with an updo, Kate has worn them with updo's before and the effect is like night and day when compared to when her hair is just hanging there, even when it is half up and half down it is a big improvement yet she still returns time and again to the look she had today, I can't understand it.

See I disagree. I think small hats look good on loose hair and I honestly don't see anything untidy about her hair today.

I usually like the small hats/fascinators that she wears, but I didn't care for the one she wore today. I think it was the netted veil that ruined it.

Last edited:
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 16: September 2015 -

To those who think Catherine's hair is "untidy," I have some Aqua Net shares of stock I'd like to sell you. It seems as though everyone with hair down is labeled "untidy."

News flash: we're not in the land of helmet hair, and this isn't the 1960s. Long or medium length hair worn down is not untidy. Fine wispy hair worn down is not untidy. These categories are NORMAL hair.

It's a good thing the Duchess did not wear a large hat, she and Maxima would have had a dueling match going on. I do think she looks good in a large hat, she wore one to William's graduation and looked lovely. Wearing a small hat is much easier and "safer" getting in and out of cars (and standing next to others in large hats).

To those who think Catherine's hair is "untidy," I have some Aqua Net shares of stock I'd like to sell you. It seems as though everyone with hair down is labeled "untidy."

News flash: we're not in the land of helmet hair, and this isn't the 1960s. Long or medium length hair worn down is not untidy. Fine wispy hair worn down is not untidy. These categories are NORMAL hair.

I agree casualfan. Her hair is pulled back from her face but is hanging loose. It's brushed and is back off of her shoulders. I fail to see how this is described as "untidy."

I agree casualfan. Her hair is pulled back from her face but is hanging loose. It's brushed and is back off of her shoulders. I fail to see how this is described as "untidy."
I fully agree!

While I do not agree that Catherine's hair was "untidy", it was a definite miss in style. If she was wearing an Ascot-appropriate fascinator, such a hairstyle would not have been a miss. However, even though her hat is relatively small, it is an actual hat which looks to be made of black felt with a velvet finish, possibly to compliment her rather over-busy coat.

But a hat like that deserves an updo which could have lightened her whole ensemble. Instead, the straightened hair seemed to draw her face down and make her look draggingly tired.

I agree! Small hats/headpieces look so much better with hair up and we have seen it on her and it does make the biggest difference.

I liked her look the hat was a hat which is good and the coat was not just plain black and had some interest.

Love everything about the latest outfit.

Why was she wearing a 'widow's veil'?

I understand the remembrance service is to honor those that died in War but neither her husband, nor her father, nor her brother died in a war.

Is she in mourning? Did a close family member die that was not made public?
What are you talking about? It's just a piece of decorative veil on a hat. It's not like her face was covered.

Why was she wearing a 'widow's veil'?

I understand the remembrance service is to honor those that died in War but neither her husband, nor her father, nor her brother died in a war.

Is she in mourning? Did a close family member die that was not made public?

If that's a widows veil then there was thousands of people at the Melbourne cup in mourning ??

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The black veil covered her eyes.
It reminded me of the hat Camilla wore to her father's funeral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom