The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 14: May 2014 - July 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't like this dress now or then it is Osti IMO and I have always hated that type of pattern. I did think the green was okay nothing speciaal but I do agree over dressed for the occasion.
I think .. and this is only me... she really needs to start getting it right.
No excuses anymore been in the job a good time now to iron out any concerns and though she always looks okay .. she really needs to do better IMO and remember .... this is only what I think !!!

I kind of like her dress. The colors are pretty and it's a summery look. That said, it really isn't anything special.

I'm not a fan of patterns or checked (correct word?) but for Wimbledon is fine... I cannot say the same for the erdem she wore yesterday... IMO it was quite ugly in OZ/NZ tour and it quite ugly now :-(

The dress suits Catherine well, I like the colours used. It's nice to see her recycling some dresses from various tours.

I've disliked this dress before, and I dislike it now. A coat dress? In July??
:ermm:

Exactly... coat in July? This coat is the one of ugliest coats I have ever seen...

For me Kate (or Catherine ;)) doesn't look good in dress which she wore at Wilmbledon final match.
This patterned of this dress doesn't fit into her... and this colour... awful :bang: She looks like older than she is.
Pippa used too much sunbathing... and Kate use too much make up at last events... good and sunny weather but she use too much make-up foundation, it's not good for her skin because she has many wrinkles around eyes and forehead.

Last edited:
Exactly... coat in July? This coat is the one of ugliest coats I have ever seen...

For me Kate (or Catherine ;)) doesn't look good in dress which she wore at Wilmbledon final match.
This patterned of this dress doesn't fit into her... and this colour... awful :bang: She looks like older than she is.
Pippa used too much sunbathing... and Kate use too much make up at last events... good and sunny weather but she use too much make-up foundation, it's not good for her skin because she has many wrinkles around eyes and forehead.

I dont agree with anything you have said. I think you are so far off base I cant even be bothered to detail my point of view.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you have probably hit on the difference of opinion. Most of people who complain that Catherine dresses like an old woman want her to dress informally.

Americans tend to dress casually, even for important events. There are people who show up in churches wearing shorts and t-shirts. A few years ago, some members of the U.S. Olympic lacrosse team showed up at the White House wearing flip-flops. That simply would not have happened in the U.K., or pretty much anywhere in Europe or Asia.

We tend to dress more formally in Washington, DC, but even here there are women who are underdressed when they attend important meetings with international delegations. Most of our foreign visitors are not offended because Americans have that reputation, but I think it does impact the women's effectiveness.

In the last 10 years or so, I have noticed that some European women, particularly those in their early 20s have started to dress more casually. But, overall, the European women I interact with dress formally for business meetings.

Catherine is on business when she makes public appearances. Think of what you would wear to an important job interview.

I will concede that some women Catherine's age may choose to wear different colored shoes with some outfits, but it is silly to argue that Catherine's "nose bleed" pumps would suit an old woman. She is also a minimalist when it comes to jewelry. Again, it is silly to argue that old women don't wear jewelry or other accessories. Her nude pumps and minimal accessories have nothing to do with age, it is her personal style.

The classic fashions she wears today will be a little dated in a few years because she does wear trendy clothes, but her look will age much better than the clothes Diana wore in the 80s. Diana was always a fashion icon and was never (or rarely) accused of being boring or dressing older than she was. But I guarantee that in 30 years, Catherine's style now will compare favorably to Diana's style during the 1980s. For proof, see the video below. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qY1OahhMB8

Your post is very interesting re what women wear in d.c. but Diana was certainly considered a matronly dresser in the early years of her marriage as in the clip you chose illustrates .nobody thinks what they wear could ever look dated in years to come:whistling:

I like the dress she wore to Wimbledon. The colors are really nice and she looks good in it.

The green dress she wore yesterday was hideous. I didn't like it last time she wore it either. The material and style just don't work and I'm not sure why she kept it zipped it all the way up. It would have been nice to see the dress she wore underneath.

I dont agree with anything you have said. I think you are so far off base I cant even be bothered to detail my point of view.

(...)

You do not have to agree with me, It's my opinion.
She always has a little makeup but not yesterday at Wimbledon.
For me she shouldn't use eyeliner, she has nice eyes but eyeliner distracts attention from eyes. For me this cosmetic is for evening/nigths events but not for events like that.

(...)

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems so many people dislike the dress lol. I actually quite like it. I also love her hair like this... I was never a fan of her big curls (the first day she attended Wimbledon), her hair looks much better this way.

Once i got over the shock of her not wearing white (as she always does at Wimbledon) -I was surprised how much I did like the dress today at Wimbledon. I liked it much better today in a more casual environment than on tour when she wore it with a hat. and her hair cut looks great! looks like taking about 4-6 inches off and adding some layers gave her back some bounce.

Speculative and off-topic posts have been removed.

Did she have her hair cut??? They look shorter, and nicer.

Yes she had her hair trimed between Wimbledon 1/4final appearance an Tour de France engagement on Friday. - It is a better length i have to say.

Did anyone else think Kate looked overdressed on the Tour de France start - the green coat and dress seem abit dressy for the sporting event especially when you see her beside William and Harry who were very casually dressed.

Great repeat Jonathon Saunders dress at Wimbledon though - more repeats from her various tour wardrobe would be great to see.

Great repeat Jonathon Saunders dress at Wimbledon though - more repeats from her various tour wardrobe would be great to see.

More repeats? :ohmy:

I think Kate repeats a lot; she gets criticized for it, but I think it's a wise decision on her part. Otherwise we'd be hearing how the taxpayers must pay huge sums for a designer wardrobe!

More repeats? :ohmy:

I think Kate repeats a lot; she gets criticized for it, but I think it's a wise decision on her part. Otherwise we'd be hearing how the taxpayers must pay huge sums for a designer wardrobe!

I agree, it is great to see Catherine repeat her clothes. Despite what some may say, I think she can repeat a lot more. She has a lot of clothes from the overseas tours that she can use over the next year or two before she acquires new ones.

Last edited:
My two cents about the Green coat worn to the start of the tour: We all have seen Kate make small allusions to the event in her choice of dress.

Blue was out for this day - it might have shown a nod to GBR Team Sky. Bright primary and neon colors are big on the tour (see Teams - The riders, videos, photos - Tour de France 2014 ) so a saturated color was a no-brainer. Also, leaders in various aspects of the tour wear yellow, green, red and white jerseys - so I would have bet on Kate wearing one of these colors.
Finally - the coat is relatively sleek and zips up the front. And Tour jerseys are sleek and zip up the front.

My two cents about the dress worn to the men's final. It looked comfy but professional and its saturated colors looked just fine next to those purple and green club ties and orchids. It did not steal all the attention but was visible.
And IMHO - she does not care if we are wowed every time she steps out. In fact, I think that's the last thing she wants.

Last edited:
Some one mentioned wearing the banana dress for the tour engagement but if you looked at the pictures from the yellow jersey presentation. The background was all yellow. Kate would have been just a head. The green at least stood out and had some Tour significance since the green jersey is worn by the fastest sprinter.

I loved the dress she wore to the Wimbledon finals yesterday. However, I was most pleased to see that she finally cut her hair to a more manageable length -- and more layers, too. Unfortunately, she still wears it much-to-much on her face. Overall ... a win for those of us clammering for her to evolve her hair style :)

I like the dress that Catherine chose for Wimbledon. The green dress worn for the opening of Tour de France wasn't too bad. The color is quite lovely on her. The only bit I dislike is what looks to me like a zipper down the front.

Your post is very interesting re what women wear in d.c. but Diana was certainly considered a matronly dresser in the early years of her marriage as in the clip you chose illustrates .nobody thinks what they wear could ever look dated in years to come:whistling:
My point is that Diana's dress looks matronly now, but that look was worn by many young women in the 80s. Below are links with photos Molly Ringwald in 1986 and a scene from 1983's the Big Chill. Fashion is cyclical. When I was in high school in the 70's, my friends and I wore "granny dresses." (I won't post pictures). These styles will probably make a comeback at some time in the future, unfortunately.

Catherine clothes are very much on trend. Some things she wears will look very dated in the future (such as the big zipper on the green coat). I think that when some posters complain that she dresses like an "old woman," they are really saying that they don't like her formality. They would like to see her dress as though she had a less traditional job--such as working for an upscale retail outlet.

On the other hand, the British monarchy is all about tradition. As someone upthread noted, she meets people who are dressed to greet royalty. I think Catherine is showing espect for the people she is meeting. I also think that, like many 32-year old women, she prefers the classic business attire. No matter what she wears she is going to be criticized, so she may as well wear what she likes.

Stellar Piece: Role Models

The Big Chill

I think we all know the queen has an eye for details and a preference for a certain look....and Diana didn't wear certain things until after her divorce.

LaRae

I think we all know the queen has an eye for details and a preference for a certain look....and Diana didn't wear certain things until after her divorce.

LaRae

You got it, she ditched the matronly look, that other women may have worn in the eighties, not me or my friends, and stepped it up after her split. When you see the great clothes she wore at that time, mid to late nineties, form fitting etc, they don't look dated now.
Back on topic, Catherine looks just about right for her position,IMO. This is her work wear and she is doing fine. I am glad for one that she has lengthened her skirts, it suits her proportions better, and is more practical for work wear.

You got it, she ditched the matronly look, that other women may have worn in the eighties, not me or my friends, and stepped it up after her split. When you see the great clothes she wore at that time, mid to late nineties, form fitting etc, they don't look dated now.
Back on topic, Catherine looks just about right for her position,IMO. This is her work wear and she is doing fine. I am glad for one that she has lengthened her skirts, it suits her proportions better, and is more practical for work wear.

I don't know how involved the queen was or is involved in the style of the female members of the family. I agree that the loose fitting dresses, puffed sleeves, and shoulder pads from the early 80's looked dated by the end of the 80's. Diana's clothes in the 90's are holding up much better 25 years later. Women wearing solids tend to look sleeker in my opinion.

I also agree that Catherine looks better in longer skirts. The form fitting clothes she and other young women wear today will hold up very well in future years. It's just a clean, classic look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom