The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 11: July 2013 - November 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have decided that I am obviously going colour blind. The photos on the balcony alongside Sophie make her coat look dark blue rather than black. Trick of the light?

This is all about the science of light refraction! The material of Catherine's outfit is reflecting more light than that of Sophie's and so appears lighter. Now, I believe that the scientists among us will confirm this, but of all the colours of the spectrum, blue is the least easily absorbed colour (and thus the most easily reflected) and so the coat appears to have a blue hue about it.

The same principal can be seen when washing your whites whiter than white - manufacturers of washing powder add tiny grains of blue dye to the white powder which make your white linens etc appear bluey-white. A blue-white is generally seen to be whiter than...erm...white.

I like her hat.
But I don't like her new curls.

The coat looks better to me in the picture from the designer. It looks too shiny in the pictures of Kate.

I love the blue Temperley coat perfection! :flowers: but the hairplaying is really annoying..but I think that she should not think that a picture will be taken in that precise moment...

Love both recent coats, especially the quilting detail on the Temperley coat. Her new hairstyle reminds me of Lil Bo Peep illustrations and the "Upper Part" photo in the red coat, she is a doppleganger for a grown up "Marsha Brady." As for getting greys, I see nothing wrong with leaving them natural...

All-in-all, she looks great.

I think the hat is lovely; the coat I can take or leave. The red coat is much nicer.

I have decided that I am obviously going colour blind. The photos on the balcony alongside Sophie make her coat look dark blue rather than black. Trick of the light?

I guess it's the light. Besides, not all black items are truly black (if that makes sense).
I like the coat a lot on Kate, it looks stylish.

All-in-all, she looks appropriate for the event. I must say that I'm not a fan of the jacket. The cut is nice but I'm just not a fan of the fabric. And I'm with many of you about the hair. Keep your hands out of it if it's down or pull it back. She also needs to cut it a couple of inches. Just picky I know.

All-in-all, she looks appropriate for the event. I must say that I'm not a fan of the jacket. The cut is nice but I'm just not a fan of the fabric. And I'm with many of you about the hair. Keep your hands out of it if it's down or pull it back. She also needs to cut it a couple of inches. Just picky I know.

How many times did she twirl the hair??

How many times did she twirl the hair??

I defend Kate a lot. I also held a job at a Director/VP level and knew that to EVER twirl my hair at work was to risk my career. I'm just saying.

Twirling is a mistake and IMO so are the sausage curls. IF she has a stylist, it must be Lupo!

But we all have unconscious actions that we do - totally unaware. What we would want is a friend to tell us. I'm hoping that Carole gets it sorted.

I don't think I got an answer to my request for a link to the video that shows her twirling her hair (as opposed to brushing it away from her face). I've searched, but can't find anything about "twirling" other than a headline from the Daily Mail that used the word "twirls", which was then picked up by other tabloids.

I defend Kate a lot. I also held a job at a Director/VP level and knew that to EVER twirl my hair at work was to risk my career. I'm just saying.

I work for the office of a CEO of a public company, and I've yet to see hair twirling treated as a career risk.

This is all about the science of light refraction! The material of Catherine's outfit is reflecting more light than that of Sophie's and so appears lighter. Now, I believe that the scientists among us will confirm this, but of all the colours of the spectrum, blue is the least easily absorbed colour (and thus the most easily reflected) and so the coat appears to have a blue hue about it.

The same principal can be seen when washing your whites whiter than white - manufacturers of washing powder add tiny grains of blue dye to the white powder which make your white linens etc appear bluey-white. A blue-white is generally seen to be whiter than...erm...white.

I guess it's the light. Besides, not all black items are truly black (if that makes sense).
I like the coat a lot on Kate, it looks stylish.
Jacknch, NoorMeansLight, thank you for your scientic and insightful replys. It is easier to evaluate something when you know what you are looking at.

Love both recent coats, especially the quilting detail on the Temperley coat. Her new hairstyle reminds me of Lil Bo Peep illustrations and the "Upper Part" photo in the red coat, she is a doppleganger for a grown up "Marsha Brady." As for getting greys, I see nothing wrong with leaving them natural...

All-in-all, she looks great.
Lil Bo Peep and Marsha Brady? Thanks, I needed a good chuckle!

Last edited:
All I can say about hair twirling and finger combing and head tossing to get the style is. Um.. its natural.

If one would spend a gazillion dollars to have the hair made up "just right" and cemented into position with each and every strand 'just so", one would be a fool to even thing about even touching the hair and good gods, get a hair out of place.

I'm willing to wager that Kate's hair is not her main priority in life. She wears it as its a part of her and not something that defines her. Men fidget with their ties at times. Women fidget with their hair.

All I can say about hair twirling and finger combing and head tossing to get the style is. Um.. its natural.

If one would spend a gazillion dollars to have the hair made up "just right" and cemented into position with each and every strand 'just so", one would be a fool to even thing about even touching the hair and good gods, get a hair out of place.

I'm willing to wager that Kate's hair is not her main priority in life. She wears it as its a part of her and not something that defines her. Men fidget with their ties at times. Women fidget with their hair.

I agree in general. BUT (always one of those) there are occasions where one has to be strong and not do it. Marriage vows; national event; representing your country; giving a presentation - serious stuff where you don't want to appeared distracted or bored. As someone said, who is a lot better at this stuff than me, it is (sadly) impressions that count. You may not be bored, but if you seem bored, that's enough.

It may not be fair, but then what is?

The Duchess of Cambridge wasn't 'twirling' her hair but just brushing it back.

I agree in general. BUT (always one of those) there are occasions where one has to be strong and not do it. Marriage vows; national event; representing your country; giving a presentation - serious stuff where you don't want to appeared distracted or bored. As someone said, who is a lot better at this stuff than me, it is (sadly) impressions that count. You may not be bored, but if you seem bored, that's enough.

It may not be fair, but then what is?

Now a question arises.

Would we really prefer to have Kate concentrate on her movements with her hair which are most likely subconscious or actually be fully focused on the matters at hand?

I tend to touch and sometimes twirl my hair a lot and never fully realized it until my son pointed out my granddaughter doing the same thing. For the most part its an subconscious action we're not really aware of that we're doing.

No wonder royal duties can be so mentally exhausting. Not only appear to be focused on the matters at hand, but also mind all those niggling things you do that you're not aware of.

Now a question arises.

Would we really prefer to have Kate concentrate on her movements with her hair which are most likely subconscious or actually be fully focused on the matters at hand?

I tend to touch and sometimes twirl my hair a lot and never fully realized it until my son pointed out my granddaughter doing the same thing. For the most part its an subconscious action we're not really aware of that we're doing.

No wonder royal duties can be so mentally exhausting. Not only appear to be focused on the matters at hand, but also mind all those niggling things you do that you're not aware of.

That's why I said it wasn't fair. You and I and most of mankind can have this little movements going on but they are transient (apart from eagle-eyed sons) but Catherine isn't. Impressions count. If a decent newspaper like the Times made a point today of printing the "twirling" pic and Sophie "glaring" at Catherine then they are picking up on it. Not bothered by the DM, but the Times does count for something.

Again, not fair, but if Hilary Clinton or the Queen sat and twiddled with their hair, at a key moment then people would be talking about it - Catherine is no different.

It seems like Catherine is picked on every year at this event. She, Sophie and Tim shared smiles before the service but it's Catherine that gets picked on. Very much unfair and silly.

She is a senior royal and the other 2 are not - she is a future queen.

And if she is picked on every year at this event (I have not noticed that), then perhaps we should consider why.

I think wearing a low ponytail or bun would eradicate any tendency to fidget with her hair and bring unwarranted attention to it. Hair fiddling during a solemn event just doesn't give a good impression at all.

Last edited:
As I looked at the picture it seemed to me that Sophie was directing "the look" at Tim and not Catherine. It seemed to me he said something which the DOC found amusing but Sophie did not. JMO, though I do agree with the point about impressions and I have to admit that when I saw the picture of Catherine twirling her hair my first reaction was "Oh Dear".

And if she is picked on every year at this event (I have not noticed that), then perhaps we should consider why.

Is she a senior royal already?

That's why I said it wasn't fair. You and I and most of mankind can have this little movements going on but they are transient (apart from eagle-eyed sons) but Catherine isn't. Impressions count. If a decent newspaper like the Times made a point today of printing the "twirling" pic and Sophie "glaring" at Catherine then they are picking up on it. Not bothered by the DM, but the Times does count for something.

Again, not fair, but if Hilary Clinton or the Queen sat and twiddled with their hair, at a key moment then people would be talking about it - Catherine is no different

You're correct. Just remember that moment at the Olympics Opening Ceremony where the Queen was caught picking her nails. It gave a bad impression. Everyone talked about it.

At the Queen's Jubilee Balcony appearance only 6 royals were there - HMQ, Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine and Harry (DoE would have been there but was ill). That sent out the message at these were the key players for the future.

She may not be a full-time working royal but she is considered senior. The media are particularly hot on that point.

Indeed. IMO she has only herself to blame

Again, not fair, but if Hilary Clinton or the Queen sat and twiddled with their hair, at a key moment then people would be talking about it - Catherine is no different.

Thinking about it makes me very very glad I don't have gold fins and gills. You do make a good a valid point.

Reminds me of the pic that was snapped at the opening ceremonies of the London Olympics where the Bond Girl looked either very very bored or very very tired. :D

A snap in time seems to be defining.

Just my two cents but Catherine is at that age and position in life where a sleeker, more sophisticated cut might be in order.

She is a member of the senior hereditary line of the House of Windsor. She is not a senior full fledged working member of the British Royal Family as yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom