The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 10: September 2012 - December 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I not know the meaning of ill fitted? Because that coat looks tailored to perfection and I thought 'ill fitting' meant that it didn't fit at all?

The coat is beautifully tailored and I love the tartan fabric! I don't know where people are getting 'ill-fitted' from. This is one of my favorite looks of hers to date. I even love the boots which is unusual for me as I'm not a fan of boots.

Im just not a fan of McQueen outfits on Kate - i just find it quite heavy round the waist with the peplum (personally dislike peplum fashion) and the way it is has concealed buttons down the right side and thats where i find it illfitting on Kate.

I do like that Kate wore her black knee length boots - they were right for the outdoor element of the event.

I just think Kate has alot nicer pieces in her wardrobe than this. Maybe i find the tartan too much - a tartan skirt and plain jacket would have been nicer IMO

I thought peplum too at first but I've checked lots of pix and there is no peplum, but there are pocket flaps.

I loved this look - I'm a real fan of black watch tartan - which is a weave, not a print. She has the height to carry the "swing" of the full skirt. Overall - very elegant.

I like the tartan. The cut and overall look is so so.

I love the tartan. I would have liked to see a different pair of shoes than the boots. Otherwise, I thought Kate looked great.

I think Catherine looked really lovely in the tartan coat dress. It suited her colouring and flattered her with it's fitted bodice and flared skirt. Not too sure about the accessories . . . the suede boots looked a little too well worn, the earrings being a little too "evening" or "summer".

As to her hair . . . :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Last edited:
I like the look, if she had worn just one part tartan it would have been a bit too much like the schooluniform.

Was looking at how she sits with crossed ankles taking to the kindergarden children, she did not do that when she was his girlfriend. Perhaps the palace thinks things like that are necessary. In Holland Maxima would not bother about that, I can not remember which princesses do nowadays.

No such thing as 'too much' tartan on St Andrews Day. Its the one day to go all out.

Playing field hockey in heels! Wow! Looks like she was really playing too.

The tartan coat looks very nice on Kate, I can see both sides of the "ill fitting" issue, I would attribute it more to the McQueen styling; pocket flaps, and the skirt beginning higher in the back than the sides, and Kate's poor posture for the appearance of poor fitting.
At least the plaids match! She can wear the dark colors, and does have the height to pull off the large skirt, thankfully it is just long enough, would be even nicer with a few extra inches.

It is a nice look for her and I also can see how one can feel about the fit of the outfit given the flaps and the cut of the coat. It is a lovely plaid and I thought the boots looked really good.

Last edited:
Playing field hockey in heels! Wow! Looks like she was really playing too.

The tartan coat looks very nice on Kate, I can see both sides of the "ill fitting" issue, I would attribute it more to the McQueen styling; pocket flaps, and the skirt beginning higher in the back than the sides, and Kate's poor posture for the appearance of poor fitting.
At least the plaids match! She can wear the dark colors, and does have the height to pull off the large skirt, thankfully it is just long enough, would be even nicer with a few extra inches.

Skirt doesn't look longer in front at all, unless you count the shots where she's in mid-stride or bending over, in which case, yes, I completely agree, the skirt is indeed ill-fitting and badly made.

Seriously, to each his own, but IMO there is nothing wrong with the construction, workmanship or technique of this outfit.

Skirt doesn't look longer in front at all, unless
I didn't mean the skirt lengths were different all around, I expressed it poorly, what i meant was the actual skirt flares out from the bodice at a higher angle in the back than on the sides or front if you see it from the sides. It's not poor construction, just an unusual design. The skirt itself looks like it is eased out higher up in the back, creating a train or bustle effect.

I didn't mean the skirt lengths were different all around, I expressed it poorly, what i meant was the actual skirt flares out from the bodice at a higher angle in the back than on the sides or front if you see it from the sides. It's not poor construction, just an unusual design. The skirt itself looks like it is eased out higher up in the back, creating a train or bustle effect.

I don't think that's how it's made, I think it just looks that way because she's in mid-stride. Again, this is just how I see it. It's okay that we disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom