The Countess of Wessex's Fashion and Style, Part 9: April 2018 - April 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would really like this outfit if the pants were a little slimmer & I do not like fussy sleeves, but this is a really nice, more casual look for her. Love her earrings!

Just no to Sophie's whole look...

Just no to Sophie's whole look...

It pains me to agree.. the neckline and sleeves are VERY unattractive..

Not a good look for her. She should toss that dress.
But her hat is nice.

Normally The Countess looks effortlessly elegant and chic but I don't like that pink dress today.

Her hat saved her dress in last time but this time it doesn't.

Her hat saved her dress in last time but this time it doesn't.
I have to agree. Usually I find Countess of Wessex's style one of the best - if not the best - but today it wasn't that day.

And I LOVED that hat from 2017 so much, I forgave her even this awful dress.

IMO this dress is better for the winter or early spring. Lovely color on Sophie.

Wearing EW. Looks like the designer isn’t ostracised.

Beautiful color & I like her hat, but this dress is one that should not have been recycled.

The problem I have with this dress is that it looks back to front.

So disappointed in this dress. The style just doesn't suit her.

I didn't like the dress the first time I saw it and I like it even less this time. I'm beginning to feel as though the lovely Countess has lost her fashion bearings a tiny bit. Fingers crossed for Royal Ascot, but this dress should be retired or be extensively remade.

On the plus side, I don't hate the color.

She usually looks lovely. The dress is terrible. She looks frumpy.

Now that I have seen this dress, what a huge disappointment for her, just a really horrible dress, so unbecoming and not a good choice with the bare back for this event........What is with women wanting to show so much skin all the time, where is the mystery of looking like a lady gone.......well guess my idea of what a lady looks like is way different then what is expected in today's day and age.

I have no issue with the skin shown. It’s no different than if the top of the dress is flipped over and there is a square cut neckline in front. In fact, I might prefer that compared to what’s going on here. My issue with this is that it just didn’t make sense style wise to have a cut out there. It’s just so... odd to randomly cut a hole there given the way the rest of the dress is designed. Take away that top thing on the neck and have the front mirror the back square neckline and we are good to go.

This a truly awful dress, should never have made it into 2018. Hopefully it will get tossed or maybe a skirt could be made for Lady Louise.

The Countess of Wessex looked lovely at the wedding a few weeks ago. And she often makes choices that really suit her. I do think she is sometimes hit or miss in terms of styling choices. She has lovely features and when she gets it right she looks so nice.

I really did not get a good look at this dress she wore today until I saw the linked pictures. The hat isn't bad, it just doesn't go well with this dress. The deep pink color is fine but the styling and fabric do not work well, especially not the odd gathering at the neckline, the matching puffy sleeves and the cut-out opening at the back. The styling details don't go with the fabric. Does Sophie employ a stylist? It might be beneficial if she found a good one who could help her with more consistency in choices that work for her body, because the work of some designers is too experimental and doesn't always enhance Sophie's pristine and sophisticated beauty.

(..)

Last edited:
I like the colour but the whole design of Sophie's dress is a bit awkward and clumsy for me. She ends up looking like an old Edwardian schoolteacher. She usually looks fabulous, but this is a rare miss I'm afraid.

@ladongas found and shared this link of Sophie on the BP balcony at 2011 TofC with Kate and other members of the royal family.
https://www.gettyimages.com.au/even...-down-the-mall-during-the-picture-id115873173

The Getty images picture of Sophie doesn't seem to consistently appear on that site, so here's a better link showing the Countess riding with Lady Louise in a carriage for 2011 TofC, among other lovely pics:
https://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty/201108095904/sophie-countess-of-wessex-style-fashion-makeover/

Sophie looked absolutely stunning at 2011 TofC! And the top and color of what she wore is similarly styled to the Duchess of Sussex's top, only there's a tiny bit of cleavage showing on Sophie's top. Such gorgeous styling. I love the hat too. Wow.

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned that the 2018 TOC dress was originally worn at Ascot last year?

I know most writers here don't like either the collar or the fabric (some both). I just think that if you take away the collar, that the dress is pretty dull. And I like the contrast between the prim front and the more edgy back.

I think the silhouette is both flattering and comfortable for seated/carriage events. And the fabric - another plus where one rides and then is seen standing. Until she faints from the heat or is seen visibly "glowing" I cannot see the fabric as too heavy.

And the color is yummy. JMO

Last edited:
Pretty, versatile dress, and Sophie looks great in it. I really like her hair today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom