Sarah, Duchess of York's Fashion and Style: October 2004 - September 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always thought that the "style" title of this thread is ironic in Sarah's case.

Oh dear. Does Fergie ever look in the mirror? This dress just isn't flattering, it's awful, and the color doesn't do a thing for her. What's with the watch??? :ohmy:

Poor Sarah!

I am being perfectly truthful when I say that, amazingly, Sarah's dress is very similar to one that I saw in Debenhams in London's Oxford Street [for American forum members, that's a store which is a bit like Sears, only probably not as good] by its own-brand label Red Herring. The dress was reduced to £18 and still had not been bought [it was silk as well].

Some magazines here in the UK show how their readers can 'imitate' a celebrity's style by picking up 'high street' versions for a fraction of the price. The so-called 'fashion arithmetic' for Sarah would therefore appear to run something like:

Look Like Sarah THE Duchess of York [as she incorrectly calls herself] at the Ecclestone Wedding for under £35

Dress: Debenhams Red Herring Sale Price £18
Watch TJ Maxx: £ 8 [yellow stickered clearance merchandise seems identical]
Shoes: Primark £ 7.99 [that's a bit like Payless!!]
Water: Tesco £0 .50 [that's a bit like the grocery section of Kmart!!]

[and no need to spend on Spanx by the looks of things!!]

Unfortunately, Sarah, who seems incapable of buying non-designer clothes, had probably paid a lot of money for what she was wearing. [and that's probably money that she can't really afford!!] Amazing to think she can spend so much, yet end up looking so ordinary. Your humble Diarist is NOT 'fashion forward' [as the stylists call it!!] in the slightest, but even I, with my limited resources and busy family life would hope that I could do better if I was to appear at a wedding that was going to be photographed for the front pages of the UK papers...

I don't understand why Sarah did not even find time to brush her hair. And the water bottle seemed totally incongruous: were the Ecclestone family proposing to leave her outside the reception, tied to a post like a doggie whilst its owners are inside?

I am afraid that the Princesses don't look totally wonderful either. Perhaps they really have inherited their mother's lack of style. Beatrice's dress ALMOST seems to be slipping a bit: based on what I have observed at the various social events that I have attended over the years, positioning a strapless dress is a bit of an art, but an inch or two 'out' and it looks like you are in trouble. I wish KittyAtlanta came on this part of the forum; I think she is able to sew and dress-make and might well be able to give a more professional opinion on this aspect for me...

Incidentally, when I watched the Channel 6 tv interview yesterday, I was struck by Sarah's comment that 'if she had been around, she would have prevented THAT HAT from being worn'! I have to say that, on the known evidence, I would not be too confident that had Sarah intervened, Beatrice would have looked any better.............I rather fear that she might have looked just as bizarre or....even worse!

At the end of the day, I suppose that fashion does not matter. There are more important things: starvation and war for starters. But as Sarah is trying to re-establish' Brand-Sarah', I would have thought that, as image is SO important nowadays, she could have looked a little better without spending any more money than that dress had probably cost her.

I will be serious for a moment: presumably Sarah and the Princesses were not nosing around the Oxford Street end-of-Summer Sale rails, and so I have to say - rather like I did with Philp Treacy and THAT HAT, that the York Ladies' clothes do not reflect well on those who sold them their finery....

Only my thoughts and not meant to offend

Last edited:
I will be serious for a moment: presumably Sarah and the Princesses were not nosing around the Oxford Street end-of-Summer Sale rails, and so I have to say - rather like I did with Philp Treacy and THAT HAT, that the York Ladies' clothes do not reflect well on those who sold them their finery....

After reading through this thread and seeing the opinions of Sarah's latest look at the Ecclestone wedding, I think we can safely assume that Sarah did *not* take a stylist and dresser with her on this trip.

Well, Osipi, if a Stylist had been employed, then he or she should be made to refund his or her fee...!

But, again, seriously, the York ladies are not going to be like me, surely? I am lucky enough over the years to have bought some clothes from Hardy Amies, Lachasse, Franka, Hartnell etc [all Houses that have supplied clothes to members of the BRF] as well as from high-end boutiques in London,[which I then mix-and-match with my High Street purchases plus things created for me by a local dressmaker] and on all occasions when I have been shopping, I have been tactfully guided into what does or does not suit me [ in Hartnell, trying to be sophisticated I picked out a beautifully printed silk chiffon dress and matching jacket and was immediately 'steered away' to an infinitely more youthful style. [the suit that I had first set my eyes on was actually more 'Queen Mother' style!!] And I am no one - after all, not too many people see if your humble Diarist makes a mistake - yet the vendeuses cared enough to make sure that I 'did not let the side down'.. So I just find it inconceivable that there was no one to discourage the Yorks from their wilder flights of fancy. And a good fashion House should not ever have shown the York ladies unsuitable things in the first place. [ Which makes me question what planet Philip Treacy lives on!!] And also, it is the function of a good fashion House or upscale boutique to advise on suitable lingerie etc....

Alex

Last edited:
What I do not understand is that it really isn't all that difficult in terms of Sarah, reasonable neckline, covered arms, non clinging fabric/style. That dress with a higher neckline, sleeves, and a bit fuller from the waist done in a turquoise, midnight blue or a nice green would have looked lovely on her. She just seems to TRY to look bad. I'm wondering if she was trying to do some strange color coordination with Beatrice, if so, not a good idea. It seems as if her clothing choices mirror her financial style .... no common sense.

What I do not understand is that it really isn't all that difficult in terms of Sarah, reasonable neckline, covered arms, non clinging fabric/style. That dress with a higher neckline, sleeves, and a bit fuller from the waist done in a turquoise, midnight blue or a nice green would have looked lovely on her. She just seems to TRY to look bad. I'm wondering if she was trying to do some strange color coordination with Beatrice, if so, not a good idea. It seems as if her clothing choices mirror her financial style .... no common sense.

Oh I agree. One thing is that Sarah does have beautiful hair and with it being a vibrant color, there are so many wonderful hues that would make her look absolutely stunning. I'd love to see her in an empire waisted gown... something really wispyish that can do wonders to hide those bumps and bulges. It may not be high fashion, but perhaps she could even set her own trademark look that would catch on for women of her age set and body type even. She IS trying to create Brand Sarah isn't she?

:previous:Absolutely agree. Empire waistlines were made for people like Sarah and a soft floaty fabric would be ideal. "Fashion" on a yearly basis is not for everyone (though I don't even think the dress she wore was fashionable) and should be adapted as much as possible to the particular body. Let's call it "originality" and is much more interesting anyway.

It is sad to say it BUT she does not have a once of dress sense! After almost 25 years to pass through palaces galas and fashionable people she is still unable to understand what is elegant. Her case is hopeless.

Last edited:
It is scary that she thought she looked good. Maybe she was trying to match Bea's and thinks that shade of pink is in. Her hair has looked very bad recently and I'm sure she has a hairdresser her makeup has been terrible as well. Could be she is trying to look cheap so people will think she doesn't have the money to look good anymore. Of course people look great everyday on much less money then she has. That dress just doesn't fit properly it looked like a sausage about to burst on her. There comes a time when women need to start covering their upper arms and with her freckles and that pink it was the time for Sarah. But as we all know Sarah has never been known for her dress sense so why start now? She has looked good but usually when wearing black. The girls I fear have got that lack of style gene that Sarah has like her they both have more misses then hits. Bea's dress is way too low and she has had that problem before I guess like her mother she doesn't learn from her past mistakes either. Sarah doesn't look like she is aging well and needs to learn to dress her age I think that is a problem with that dress as well it is way too young for her the colour and the style!

What I do not understand is that it really isn't all that difficult in terms of Sarah, reasonable neckline, covered arms, non clinging fabric/style. That dress with a higher neckline, sleeves, and a bit fuller from the waist done in a turquoise, midnight blue or a nice green would have looked lovely on her. She just seems to TRY to look bad.

Perhaps you should approach Sarah with a view to offering 'style advice', Princess of Durham!!:)
Why not write to Royal Lodge with a copy of your resume and offer to be Fashion Sylist to Sarah?! [Even if you don't have any formal qualifications, you are clearly better-versed in style matters than Sarah is!!

I'm wondering if she was trying to do some strange color coordination with Beatrice, if so, not a good idea. It seems as if her clothing choices mirror her financial style .... no common sense.

That is an interesing theory; I am not a huge expert on Royal Fashions, but when the Princesses were younger, didn't Sarah try to do something similar? Can anyone who rememebers royal fashions help me with this one, please? [I can remember when Princess Diana was once seen to make a serious misjudgement by dressing the infant Prince William in the same Catherine Walker Coat that she was wearing. The Press thought that this was a howler. As did many Royal watchers!!]

Thank you in advance,

Alex

Last edited:
Considering she has an income way above the average female population, she looks awful. Overweight, tacky clothing and cheap overall look.

Considering she has an income way above the average female population, she looks awful. Overweight, tacky clothing and cheap overall look.

Right. But it is not question of money. Kate Middleton is the proof of this.

But Sarah was always "wrong"... Even was she was princess in activity, she was alway "gifted" to do the wrong thing. She has like an "inverse" capacity to be always wrong, in questions of style, behavior, everything. I think this is the reason she never felt OK inside the royal family, especially compared with the "icon" Diana.

And apparently her daughters took a little of her genes!!!:eek:
Its a pitty because she is a nice person and could be interesting, but she never stepped into the shoes what she was doing!

Right. But it is not question of money. Kate Middleton is the proof of this.

It is a question of money. It is much easier to hire a personal trainer, a dietitian and a chef, if money is not a problem. Of course, there is such thing as being committed to healthy living.....and Kate Middleton is the proof of this. :D

Apologies for the t/j. Sarah used to look like a breath of fresh air - it's sad to see her look like this.

:previous: When I tried to view some of these pics, I got the message "the website declined to show this page"" I think this could be very sound judgement :ROFLMAO:

It is a question of money. It is much easier to hire a personal trainer, a dietitian and a chef, if money is not a problem. Of course, there is such thing as being committed to healthy living.....and Kate Middleton is the proof of this. :D

I do not think it is a question of money so much as it is a sheer lack of taste. Many women who can afford expensive designer oufits often look aweful whilst other women who have to make do with what they can afford, do look after themselves and very often look exceptional in simple items. I do not think that Fergie was ever particularly glamorous or chic in anything she wore. Sometimes I do think she actually tried but was she was just a poor judge of suitable and elegant fashion.

Last edited:
:previous: When I tried to view some of these pics, I got the message "the website declined to show this page"" I think this could be very sound judgement :ROFLMAO:

I got the same message Elly C: but I was not witty enough to think of your explanation, I just thought it was a PC glitch.! Thank you for the laugh!!

The photos that I can view include one taken where Sarah is plugging sales of her book. I presume that her publisher's Representative was with her, and as money was involved [i.e. this was a commercial enterprise], I suppose that he or she was there to guide Sarah away from her worst sartorial excesses....!

There is also a pretty dire photo of Sarah and the Princesses arriving 'before the wedding'. The photo is cropped, but ['poor' 'penniless'] Sarah appears to be carrying an Hermes Birkin bag. Can some fashion expert confirm this for me, please? [They cost hundreds of pounds: Sarah would do better to brush her hair (cost = nothing) and SELL the Hermes bag and take the proceeds into Selfridges in Oxford Street where I am sure the personal shopper there could have got her looking half way decent!!!]

I must say, though, and without wishing to be unkind, that there is clearly a very marked contrast between Sarah's airbrushed face on the jacket of her book and the undoctored photographs of Sarah 'in the flesh', where, IMHO, she looks every bit - and more - of her 51 years. A mixture of the legacy of too much sun and too much smoking, I asssume.

A.

Last edited:
Regarding the first picture: no excuse for no makeup and unbrushed/combed hair. Many of the other pictures: too much cleavage, bare arms and tight dresses, oh, and shiny fabrics ..... sigh! Again, pictures of her clutching her daughters. I'm beginning to wonder if they are trying to run away and she has them literally in her grip. I wouldn't go to market looking like Sarah on her arrival, one would think she had a modicum of pride ... I guess not.

In fairness, she did look nice in the black dress with lace top and long sleeves.

There is also a pretty dire photo of Sarah and the Princesses arriving 'before the wedding'. The photo is cropped, but ['poor' 'penniless'] Sarah appears to be carrying an Hermes Birkin bag. Can some fashion expert confirm this for me, please? [They cost hundreds of pounds: Sarah would do better to brush her hair (cost = nothing) and SELL the Hermes bag and take the proceeds into Selfridges in Oxford Street where I am sure the personal shopper there could have got her looking half way decent!!!]

A.

YES it is an Hermes Birkin Bag, et it does not cost hundred of pounds! It cost THOUSAND of pounds, I think about 4-5000 (four-five THOUSAND pounds)

Is it a new or old bag?

I don't know about people with expensive bags but as someone who collects relatively modest bags (i.e. Coach), I tend to keep mine. In fact, I used one for one particular event, and one of my friends was like you still have it....and I was like I keep all my Coach bags! Wouldn't someone do the same for an Hermes?

Thanks Fandesacs2003 for the confirmation:

Zonk, I always keep my handbags, too. They are good quality, 'classic' bags and I love them, but only a couple are 'expensive': Launer.

There is a proper thread for my observations, and on which I will now make them, but let me just say here that even if it is an old bag, it still has some considerable value I am sure and I just find it inappropriate that Sarah still has these status symbols to flash around when some of her staff [the poorly paid ones] only recieved a proportion of what they were owed on the agreement that Sarah reached with them...... anyway, I am off to make my point elsewhere on this forum..

Alex

Last edited:
Regarding the first picture: no excuse for no makeup and unbrushed/combed hair. Many of the other pictures: too much cleavage, bare arms and tight dresses, oh, and shiny fabrics ..... sigh! Again, pictures of her clutching her daughters. I'm beginning to wonder if they are trying to run away and she has them literally in her grip. I wouldn't go to market looking like Sarah on her arrival, one would think she had a modicum of pride ... I guess not.

In fairness, she did look nice in the black dress with lace top and long sleeves.

Well, if Beatrice does go ahead and marry Dave [see other thread] at least that should put an end to Sarah clutching Beatrice's hand.....:)

I love the dresses, especially Beatrices. The color scheme goes together nicely. I like it.

http://i45.tinypic.com/4l4kee.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/33cvy86.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2hdsmwx.jpg
First dress- Love the color, though not on Fergie, and the dress is ill- fitting, and cheap looking!
2nd set of pics- What is wrong with these pictures: Everything!
Except the colors.
Bea's is too short.
Sarah's is ill-fitting, too long, and makes her look fat.

The thread hadnt been updated for a while (because of people refusing to somehow link "Sarah Ferguson" and "style")? ;)

Anyway, there are rare occasions when it isnt THAT bad. At least sometimes she brushes her hair and uses some make up.

August 2011
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/23/article-0-0CB40DCB00000578-42_634x770.jpg
I actually LOVE what all 3 women wore here, for once!:ohmy:

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I like the black outfit too. It's the only one I like. Her hair was done nicely in that photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom