Queen Silvia's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2002 - December 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my favorit, I love it:w00t2:
attachment.php

Her Noble-Gowns are amazing! :ohmy:
They are wonderful!
I prefer the 1999-dress! It's simply Fairy-Tale like! :flowers:

Madame Royale said:
My favourite would have to be '81' though where Silvia looked undeniably majestic.

The plunging neckline gives way to Silvia's ample bosom and beautifully proportioned décolletage. It superbly exhibits Silvia's neck to its full and gracious length and I very much like how you are unable to identify her waist. Very elegant and so beautiful.

Silvia was pregnant with Madeleine at that time so it was a maternity dress, a very beautiful one though :)

Is Very Interesting How Her Look Change, But Every Year Shelooks Amazing

:) Amazing pictures and Queen Silvia is a very, very beautiful woman...:)

I love doing this (tehehe):

1977: Great tiara, dress pattern should remain safely in the seventies

1978: Lovely- the dress seems to perfectly match the sapphire necklace
and tiara, very elegant and flattering

1979: Very pretty

1982: Cinderella, Cinderella, Queen Silvia's Cinderella

1983: Tomato Soup with giant cans for sleeves

1984: a breath of fresh pretty air between two disasters

1985: One big giant swirl of butter with giant buttery swirls for arms

1986: Lovely gown, matches the Amethyst tiara she wore, reminds me a
little of one of the official portraits of Princess Alexandra of Denmark
taken when she was still married to Prince Joachim

1990: Is she pretending to be Queen Elizabeth I?

1993: Such fancy feathers for a jail bird

1994: Lovely

1995: "Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday
dear---oh wait, that's the Queen!

1997: Oops, do you think I should tell Her Majesty that we mixed up her
dress fabric with the new curtains?

2001: da Dum da dum, da Dum da dum, Do you take this dress in
matrimony? Queen Silvia: "I do!"

i think there was a very long time since we saw silvia with a new sress. is there gala dresses that i have missed so please post them i would love to see dresses she wore in the begining

swedishme said:
here you go... :)

(not fab quality though..thanx to imageshack silly size limit...)

when seeing this i wonder if anyone bought the catalog about her nobel dresses as they are shown at the royal palace this year

1990 was it just after her mom died?
is it true that she has never worn a new dress for the nobel
if so i have no ide what dress she can were to the nobel 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see Sylvia's pictures in those "big tiara", parure and gala gown. So far she is the only queen with commoner background who wears one of the most beautiful tiara collection in the world. Sonya of Norway doesn't wear many of big tiara since Norway RF doesn't have collection as many as Swedish RF. Her appearance on the photos above, Sylvia looks like a queen in fairy tale story in children books. I can not wait to see her appearance in the next nobel prize event

At the 1990 Nobel, Queen Silvia was indeed still in mourning, tough for her father who had died shortly before, not her mother who died from Alzheimer's disease a few years later, if I'm correct.
So the circumstances have to be taken into consideration when reviewing her choice of that that rather heavy & sombre dark blue velvet gown (which she had worn before but without the white lace collar).
My prediction for the Nobel 2006 gown is the silver embroidered one she wore for the state visit in Thailand. She really hasn't worn many new gala dresses for years on end, so this is about the only one left!

Boris said:
At the 1990 Nobel, Queen Silvia was indeed still in mourning, tough for her father who had died shortly before, not her mother who died from Alzheimer's disease a few years later, if I'm correct.
So the circumstances have to be taken into consideration when reviewing her choice of that that rather heavy & sombre dark blue velvet gown (which she had worn before but without the white lace collar).
My prediction for the Nobel 2006 gown is the silver embroidered one she wore for the state visit in Thailand. She really hasn't worn many new gala dresses for years on end, so this is about the only one left!

has she not worn a very orange dress this year but i cant figure out when it was

My favorites:
1978, 1986, 1987, 1990 and 2002. I really think Queen Silvia looks great in jewel tones. I know most people don't like 1990, but I do.

My least favorites:
1976 - nothing about the dress, just that she has her legs crossed at the knees. I thought that was a princess no-no.
1985 - unflattering; way too poufy!
1993 - she looks like she's going to a ball at a prison
1997 - all I can say is ?????????

sp its less then 10 days to this year nobel
and i hope we will see silvia in a red dress but i still cant figure out what dress she will wear has shee never were a new dress to the nobel

After seeing her in that stunning red dress (she wore for the "Bambi") I am in real Nobel-Prize Mood now ;) .
I'm really curious in which dress (new or recycled) we will see her...

Thankyou very much Swedishme for scanning all those magazine pictures.
Queen Silvia is extremely elegant, she looks so regal and impressive with those evening dresses and parures, even I like the yellow dress she wore in 1985, I know not everybody likes that dress but you can't deny the embroidery is fantastic.
I'm dying to see Queen Silvia at the Nobel Prize Gala this month.

I love this red gown. She looks wonderful in it and I also love cut of dress.

Prinses Lauren10 said:
I don't like it :ohmy:
It is too slack and too long
I agree that the dress doesn't look that good on the photos. In TV she looked great! The backview of this dress is beautiful!

i think that she looks amazing and im not too fond of the dress but it is a beautiful color and compared to some other ones over the years, its modern yet elegant.

Nice colour but the dress is rather shapeless. It probably looked good on the drawing board.

Her_Majesty said:
In TV she looked great! The backview of this dress is beautiful!

Not only back, but I love whole top. also color is wonderful.... as I wrote I love it...
but not that material. That's strange

Silvia wore the dress she worein thiland i think a japance designer that also designed for princess diana

IMO, her suit in London in pink was not so good for her.

'Rchainho', I think the fuchsia pink looked great against the very green background at the Chelsea Flower Show, and this occasion was a good excuse to wear that flower bouquet hat (first seen during the state visit to Japan). I hope not to see it again though, I just hate those flowered or feathered headdresses that are so much en vogue these days instead of a much better 'traditional' hat.

Thanks a lot to 'Her Majesty for her summary of the three new dresses Queen Silvia wore during the state visit to Denmark and now in Uppsala!

# 1 from your post is actually not silver but pastel blue. Great top with gorgeous embroidery, a very traditional 'Queen's dress. I just wish the skirt would be as impressive. Some repeat of the top's embroidery on the skirt's hem wouldn't have hurt, and neither would have a train, in order to out-balance all the splendour of the top.

# 2 I really like, there is almost too much going on with the design but Queen Silvia carries it off very well, I believe strong colors are best for her anyway.

# 3 is not a knock-out but nice. I saw it on TV and it looks much better inside than in daylight because in artificial light the color changes from palle yellow to a real shimmering gold.

# 4 is a recycled dress and I just don't like the dull silver-grey color on her. The same style dress would look so much better on her in a color like moss green or a rusty red.
Anyway, all of these gowns are excuisitely cut.

In general, I am starting to wonder if Queen Silvia has changed designers recently.
When she first became Queen, she remained faithful to Marc Bohan for Christian Dior; during the 80's, to Danish Joergen Bender; in the 90's, it was Nina Ricci and Jacques Zehnder; but recently, there are a lot of London-based Japanese designer's Yuki gowns, and the newest dresses discussed above don't remind me of any one of these designers.
# 1 could be by Bender, also as a tribute to the country visited, but I feel that appart from Yuki, there might be another new designer around these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom