Queen Rania's Accessories Part 1: December 2003 - June 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
monamona said:
The article that talks about Rania as a fashion victim appears in ABC newspaper. It was written by BEATRIZ CORTÁZAR.

".. Rania de Jordania quien, aparte de monísima, es una «fashion victim» de las que no quedan. Rania usa y abusa de los valentinos, pradas, givenchys y guccis hasta en situaciones tan corrientes como pasear con sus hijos, hacer «footing» por algún puerto donde atraque su yate o ir a una reunión de una ONG con la alta costura como bandera..."

Translation as given by Elsa, M.:

" Rania of Jordan, who despite being a gorgeous woman, is a fashion victim, as there are few. Rania uses and abuses of the valentinos, pradas, givenchys and guccis,even in such current situations as strolling with her children, footing by the port where her yacht is anchored, or going to a meeting of a ONG (welfare organization), hanging on the high couture flag."

:rolleyes:

I stand corrected. I thought Hola Magazine wrote the article. Also, there's no need for the atitude.

I strongly believe that she gets discounts for her outfits or she buys many outfits for the price of one, that is why we see her wearing wearing many dresses from one designer on some particular times. I do not think that the queen pays for everything and I'm not sure we can compare celebrities to royalty, don't royalty get special treatment by designers? I'm not sure about that, but I heard that Donald Trump got his wife's wedding gown for a discounted price, so is it possible that a Billionaire gets a discounted price while royalty dont?

Many celebrities just admit that they don't pay the close. Reson? fress publicity for the designer. Just repair that after Queen Rania start to wear E. S. now1 wear him a lot. Now you just listen speak about him. If you make a search in the net in queen rania, we gona found pics from E.S.. So she stay with wonderful dress and he don't sepend a peny in publicity. Many designer have this tipe of deals with celebritis.
I remember now, Sarah Jessica parker just pay half of the price from Manolo Blankis shoses and some are free, sooooooooo....they amke a deal and every one wine.

I agree with you farah and micas: celebrities do publicity for fashion designers. I guess it's a very good idea, and maybe it's only for RTW (ready to wear) … not for high couture, since those cost a lot and they are unique models, so I can’t imagine designers ask celebrities to show a unique models which is already represented by a model during a fashion show.

Hola magazine

sommone said:
Hola magazine was wrong for that, and I think they are hitting way below the belt. Like another member wrote in one of Letizia's threads, it is tacky of them, and I couldn't agree more. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, but I thought a fashion victim was someone who can't dress...or doesn't have any fashion sense...
Can you post here the pictures of this hola magazine about Queen Rania?
Thanks

I have that magazine, but my pc is in greve... i gona see if i can try. I don't promess be after wednesday because my cat is very sike and i have to go pick up to the vet. and tomorow is party day Portugal.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
you're right..tabloids hardly have the moral authority to criticize others, especially when it is the style and fashion of famous women they make their money from.
Queen Rania may wear a lot of designer clothes but she's no fashion victim because no one wears those clothes better than she does.
Ofcourse that doesnt mean I'm excusing her extravagance.
But she also does recycle her clothing contrary to what many people think and what I used to think. There was a great thread about the very subject on this forum a while ago.

The article that talks about Rania as a fashion victim appears in ABC newspaper (not a tabloid) It was written by BEATRIZ CORTÁZAR. when CORTÁZAR said Rania was a fashion victim, she did not mean what you & Sommone meant as you can read from the ABC excerpt:

"..Rania de Jordania quien, aparte de monísima, es una «fashion victim» de las que no quedan. Rania usa y abusa de los valentinos, pradas, givenchys y guccis hasta en situaciones tan corrientes como pasear con sus hijos, hacer «footing» por algún puerto donde atraque su yate o ir a una reunión de una ONG con la alta costura como bandera..."

" Rania of Jordan, who despite being a gorgeous woman, is a fashion victim, as there are few. Rania uses and abuses of the valentinos, pradas, givenchys and guccis,even in such current situations as strolling with her children, footing by the port where her yacht is anchored, or going to a meeting of a ONG (welfare organization), hanging on the high couture flag."

Last edited:
wymanda said:
It is interesting to note that Rania doesn't always buy straight off the runway. Many outfits seem to be modified to cover more than the "Runway model" did.

She also usually looks better in the outfits than most of the models! :rolleyes:

Really?In the spanish wedding rania coverd less than the model did in the catwalk wearing the dress from Dominique Sirop!,interesting that an arabic lebanese magazine photoshoped her photo (the 4th one),to look more covered:confused: :p

Attachments

• rania dominique sirop dress.JPG
    rania dominique sirop dress.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 402
  • sirop profile.JPG
    sirop profile.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 299
  • _SIROPcatwalk.JPG
    _SIROPcatwalk.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 421
  • rania in sirop dress from arab magazine.JPG
    rania in sirop dress from arab magazine.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 531
Monalisa said:
Really?In the spanish wedding rania coverd less than the model did in the catwalk wearing the dress from Dominique Sirop!,interesting that an arabic lebanese magazine photoshoped her photo (the 4th one),to look more covered:confused: :p

Emmmmmm:rolleyes:...Interesting observation..thanks Monalisa for posting the pictures (the ones in Madrid and the one in the Arabic magazine). In all cases, the pics of Rania in the Spanish wedding were not posted in Petra or in any jordanian press...

monamona said:
The article that talks about Rania as a fashion victim appears in ABC newspaper (not a tabloid) It was written by BEATRIZ CORTÁZAR. when CORTÁZAR said Rania was a fashion victim, she did not mean what you & Sommone meant as you can read from the ABC excerpt:

"..Rania de Jordania quien, aparte de monísima, es una «fashion victim» de las que no quedan. Rania usa y abusa de los valentinos, pradas, givenchys y guccis hasta en situaciones tan corrientes como pasear con sus hijos, hacer «footing» por algún puerto donde atraque su yate o ir a una reunión de una ONG con la alta costura como bandera..."

my comment wasnt about this article, I was referring to Hola magazine and the press in general.
They have no scruples about printing Rania's pictures and making money off them.
Anyway, the above article is exaggerated. It is an opinion expressed by the author, not the gospel truth. Rania has worn simple t-shirts and jeans many times on her vacations. I can post all the pictures here as proof.
I know she wears too many designer outfits, but I wont be unfair and exaggerate the matter just to make her look bad.

sol_anglada said:
Can you post here the pictures of this hola magazine about Queen Rania?
Thanks

I'm sorry Sol_anglada if I had access to Hola magazine and the pictures, I would post them, but I don't. I just thought that it was unfair for them to do a comparison...well basically, I was looking at the article (which wasn't written by Hola, sorry) that was written comparing the two cp's, and it isn't right to elevate one, and deflate the other.

monamona said:

I have no interest in turning this into an arguement or debate because it would be unsuitable here and a waste of time. In fact, I didn't mean for it to go this far. I thought Hola magazine wrote the article, and they didn't. Thanks for correcting me. I will say this, and then I'm going to leave it alone.

I went back and reread the article, and I got the gist of what Beatriz Cortazar was trying to say, and I didn't then, and don't now agree with it. She had nothing but decent things to say about Letizia, and then took cheap shots at Rania based her observations of the spread Hola iniatially did on the two women. I have seen a collage of pictures put together of the two dressed similarly, and I couldn't figure out what the big whoop was all about? Many royals have worn similar if not the same outfits, and was a tabloid spread done on them? Not to my knowledge it wasn't.

Mrs. Cortazar was correct about one thing though, Letizia wouldn't like being compared to Rania or any other woman for that matter. She should have put vice versa, but that was never her intention so I'm going to add that myself. :) However, I do not think Rania would enjoy being called a fashion victim either. Any further discussion on this topic can be sent to my PM.

Last edited:
sommone said:
Hola magazine was wrong for that, and I think they are hitting way below the belt. Like another member wrote in one of Letizia's threads, it is tacky of them, and I couldn't agree more. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, but I thought a fashion victim was someone who can't dress...or doesn't have any fashion sense...
Away from Rania, I thought to share what "fashion victim" means, I found this:

For starters, being labeled a "fashion victim" is not a good thing. Most fashion enthusiasts use the expression to criticize a man's dressing style; however, the term takes on different meanings when referring to different people. So what exactly does a fashion victim look like? Read on to find out.
what is a fashion victim?
spacer.gif

Below are three definitions of the term "fashion victim."

The first definition comes from Karin Eldor, a fellow fashion correspondent at AskMen.com. She describes a fashion victim as "someone who takes all the trends of a given time and ends up looking like a store mannequin; in a word, absurd."

The second one is courtesy of a friend of mine, who I consider a sleek dresser. To her, a fashion victim is someone who:
a- only purchases brand-name apparel;
b- is a compulsive shopper;
c- will only consider wearing an item that is "the latest trend," regardless of whether he can pull it off or not.

I found a third definition on a fashion website while researching the expression. The definition states that a fashion victim is "someone who buys an outfit that is perfectly in style, but when he wears it, he looks perfectly ridiculous."

[font=Arial,Helvetica,ms san serif,Verdana,Geneva]my definition
[/font]
spacer.gif

According to yours truly, the term "fashion victim" encompasses all of the above and more. A fashion victim is someone who wants to be trendy so badly that he'll buy whatever the fashion authorities claim is stylish (at the moment) and then combine it awkwardly, giving him an over-the-top style and making him stick out like a sore thumb... not a good thing.

If you've spotted a fashion victim on the street this summer, he'd be wearing a pink or yellow T-shirt, white knee-length pants with a pastel colored belt, white and pink flip-flops, and a pair of metallic shields (those sunglasses that look like protective eye gear). The lesson? If you want to look cool, don't overdo it.
A fashion victim is also someone who can't put himself together, whether his threads are worth $50 or $5,000, because he tries so hard to look hip. Don't get me wrong, looking sharp does require a certain amount of effort, but ultimately, your clothes have to fit right, and suit your style, image and personality. Remember, it's not about the clothes you wear -- it's about how you wear them.

To make matters worse, a fashion victim usually succumbs to social pressure. A good example is someone who catches David Beckham on the Late Show and suddenly feels the urge to go shopping and buy the same ripped jeans, navy blazer and pointy crocodile leather shoes, because Becks looked pretty cool during his interview. Fashion victims are also likely to purchase an expensive suit just because a slick salesman tells him "it's all the rage this season," without even paying attention to how the shoulders fit.

From http://askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_200/207_fashion_advice.html

Last edited:
As I was looking at many pictures of Rania vs. the original designer dress, I noticed that she apparently had some of the dresses "altered" to show less skin...While this may not come as a surprise to some, it did for me because I assumed many times that what she was wearing was an original. (I don't know much about fashion and designers) For instance, the dress she wore to PA and PR wedding. IMO, the dress didn't look right at all on her. Not because she was pregnant, but because the dress didn't look right at the top at all. After seeing the same dress the model was wearing, I realized she had had the dress altered. My guess is she liked the dress, had it altered so that it wouldn't reveal so much, and wore it, but never considered that in the process, she completely destroyed the look the designer had in mind...and created a not so good look for herself.

Last edited:
Yes, rania changed the top of that dress.
On the model, the top is longer but transparent; on rania the top is little bit ticker but shorter (on shoulders, arms and chest).

I agree with you sommone. The original top is beautiful.

Attachments

• _SIROPcatwalk.JPG
    _SIROPcatwalk.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 276
  • sirop-model.gif
    sirop-model.gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 617
  • 2883738.jpg
    2883738.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 240
  • rania dominique sirop dress.JPG
    rania dominique sirop dress.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
abir said:
On the model, the top is longer but transparent; on rania the top is little bit ticker but shorter (on shoulders, arms and chest).

I think i prefer the dress on Rania then on the model.

abir said:

Actually abir, I was talking about the pink dress with the white lace she wore to Prince Ali and Princess Rym's wedding. I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it, that she also changed the top part of the dress she wore to Felipe and Letizia's wedding. I actually liked that one.

abir said:

Its interesting that the model on the runway was wearing the collar. I had thought that wearing it was Rania's own idea. The model is wearing it like a turtle neck and Rania has it on fastened at the neck and covering her shoulders.

sommone said:
Actually abir, I was talking about the pink dress with the white lace she wore to Prince Ali and Princess Rym's wedding. I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it, that she also changed the top part of the dress she wore to Felipe and Letizia's wedding. I actually liked that one.
sorry ... :eek:

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Its interesting that the model on the runway was wearing the collar. I had thought that wearing it was Rania's own idea. The model is wearing it like a turtle neck and Rania has it on fastened at the neck and covering her shoulders.
At the beginning, I thought the same :)
I post down other pictures from the same designer Dominique Sirop; he opted the same style (collar) for other dresses.

The model wearing a bride dress with a veil is from the same designer/same collection ... to me it doesn't look very different of Rania' dress.
I believe guests usually avoid white/ivory colors, since only the bride (Letizia) could wear such colors :)
I may be wrong.

Attachments

• 762777_b.jpg
    762777_b.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 762753_b.jpg
    762753_b.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 2884041.jpg
    2884041.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
abir said:
sorry ... :eek:

No problem Abir.:) I thought Rania's dress was silver? It looked a light silver actually.

Last edited:
I never agree when ppl say that Rania has great fashion sense or something similar. This is b/c she only wears designer clothes straight off of the rack. There is no originality in her fashion. It seems as though she does not do her own assembling or experimentation. Originality is true fashion sense to me.

Last edited:
sommone said:
I thought Rania's dress was silver? It looked a light silver actually.
Yes it is light silver.
My thought is white/light-silver/ivory colors are most for the bride not the guests.
Also I think the dress of rania is lighter than what the first model wears.

Last edited:
Reina said:
I never agree when ppl say that Rania has great fashion sense or something similar. This is b/c she only wears designer clothes straight off of the rack. There is no originality in her fashion. It seems as though she does not do her own assembling or experimentation. Originality is true fashion sense to me.

there may be some truth in what you say. But a lot of Rania's dresses have her own unique little touches. What she wears, especially in terms of evening wear, is often not your run-of-the-mill gowns. Most of the time she modifies her clothing so it is more modest than what the models on the runway might be wearing. And it isnt just about covering up, she makes it look more stylish.
If you look at some of the pictures that have been posted here, of evening dresses in particular, you'll see what I mean. As for pant/skirt suits, it makes sense for her to wear them the way they are, there's no point in modifying them.

abir said:
Yes it is light silver.
My thought is white/light-silver/ivory colors are most for the bride not the guests.
Also I think the dress of rania is lighter than what the first model wears.
but was the dress not at the pre dinner event?

Thanks

sommone said:
I'm sorry Sol_anglada if I had access to Hola magazine and the pictures, I would post them, but I don't. I just thought that it was unfair for them to do a comparison...well basically, I was looking at the article (which wasn't written by Hola, sorry) that was written comparing the two cp's, and it isn't right to elevate one, and deflate the other.
Thanks for your kind answer as well as the answer gien by Salma. Well my English is not very good and some times I have problems for understanding your messages. In my opinion media exagerate considerin Her Majesty as a fahion model. She has a great figure and is lucky for not having problems wearing want she wants. But I think that many other royals wear very well and no body compare them with fashion models.

Rania wearing a traditional top with a leather skirt, 2003

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 737
  • 77587.jpg
    77587.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,205
Rania at a Palestinian fundraiser in London, 2003
The dress has an interesting detail on the back

Attachments

• 76674.jpg
    76674.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 405
  • 76676.jpg
    76676.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 344
Rania in Dubai, 2004

Attachments

• rania09a.jpg
    rania09a.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 392
Josefine said:
but was the dress not at the pre dinner event?

Yes, you are right Josefine, it was at pre wedding gala dinner, not the actual wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom