Queen Máxima's Daytime Fashion Part 4: April 2014 - August 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful dress but inappropriate IMO. She is playing Queen in front of her family. Disappointing

Wowww i am in love. She looks beautiful. I am speechles

Beautiful dress but inappropriate IMO. She is playing Queen in front of her family. Disappointing

My thoughts exactly, cepe. I was just about to say, she does realise this is not her wedding, right?

I can't help feeling with Maxima, particularly since becoming Queen, that she's kind of trying too hard.

I totally agree, cepe. The gown and cape are stunning, but way over-done for a family wedding. It's supposed to be the bride's special day, after all.

She's breathtaking, but that just makes me feel sad for her.

Could it be simply a different understanding to the dress code? Maybe it did specific as black tie since I saw the other ladies are all in gowns. I feel that perhaps the bride has chosen a too simple wedding gown to match her wedding dress code.

Could it be simply a different understanding to the dress code? Maybe it did specific as black tie since I saw the other ladies are all in gowns. I feel that perhaps the bride has chosen a too simple wedding gown to match her wedding dress code.

What the bride is wearing and the clothes of the other guests seem to be in-line.

This is the usual afternoon/evening wedding code that we see in Europe often, but the men are in morning dress and not black tie.

I am v surprised that she has worn for the 1st time a dress of this high standard (£30k upward at a guess) to a family wedding.

I think she was overdressed for the occasion, maybe she should have used a shawl instead of the cape. However, she looks so beautiful.

I don't think she is playing Queen she is a Queen. I loved her outfit didn't care for the brides dress.

She has dressed in a memorable outfit for her brother on his wedding day - she has accorded him and his new wife the same kind of outfit she would wear to a royal wedding or her husbands coronation!! Why on Earth should she dress down for the sake of a bride? Who has ever known what the bride will wear until she arrives?! Maybe brides should dress up a bit and make as much effort as Maxima!

Queen Maxima looked regal indeed. I am surprised to see Princess Beatrix attending the wedding. It speaks of really close relationships within the family.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with mellie, and I don't think that we should take this one instance as proof that she's trying "too hard." IMO that's making a mountain out of a mole hill. She's clearly going to take the cape off for the party afterwards, and it's gonna be fine.

Maxima looks gorgeous! In fact, I would have loved for her to wear this beautiful ensemble for WA's inauguration ceremony. She looks fabulous!

I'm also so happy to see Queen (I refuse to say Princess) Beatrix in attendance. It speaks volumes for the respect she has for Maxima and her family.

Beautiful ensemble, in line with what her mother is wearing except the necklsce the bride has an unfortunate choice of gown, unattractive and ill fitting

Max looks beautiful! Max definitely has the height, personality and figure to carry off some amazing ensembles!

Too much like a costume, I think.

Come on. She is not only the proud sister of the groom, she is also Her Majesty Queen Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau. She was attending a very chique wedding, all ladies were in long, all gentlemen were in jacquet.

The wedding was held at the prestigious Servites Church Mariae Verkündigung (The Annunciation of Mary), a shining example of Viennese Early Baroque. The wedding banquet was held in the Gartenpalais Liechtenstein, truly glorious surroundings. Queen Máxima has hit the right notes in these majestic surroundings. It would be "too costumey" in the Marriott Hotel in Cincinatti. Not in one of these lush palaces in the Austrian capital.

Brava, Máxima!

:flowers:

I would say the Bride was underdressed [detesting as i do] , all strapless concotions, rather than the Queen being overdressed .

Very regal and stunning gown and cape for sure! I just can't help thinking that she might have been overdressed, too. I mean this seems to be a rather low-key wedding.

Wowww i am in love. She looks beautiful. I am speechles
She takes my breath away.

She's breathtaking, but that just makes me feel sad for her.
Why, it's her brother's wedding and she's dressed to code.

I think you nailed it there.

Queen Maxima looked regal indeed. I am surprised to see Princess Beatrix attending the wedding. It speaks of really close relationships within the family.
I think it is a symbol of how close she is to Maxima and her family.

I would say the Bride was underdressed [detesting as i do] , all strapless concotions, rather than the Queen being overdressed .
Not only was it strapless but unfortunately terribly ill fitting. The lace was beautiful and the veil gorgeous but it couldn't save this wedding gown. I think she really struck a wrong note at her own wedding by styling too . . . almost Boho.

Very regal and stunning gown and cape for sure! I just can't help thinking that she might have been overdressed, too. I mean this seems to be a rather low-key wedding.
No, just the bride, unfortunately. After all, when you send out the invitations and include a reigning King and Queen, not to mention Princess Beatrix, then you specify morning dress (I think with tails?) . . . well Boho doesn't quite cut it.

I'm with those who think that she hit it right. This is her brother's wedding and to "dress down" would have been downright insulting and we have to remember the dress code. After Max gets inside she'll lose the cape like the others will lose their wraps. They were merely for modesty in the church. So, Max is wearing what looks like a drop dead gorgeous strapless(?) gown.

A low key wedding? All ladies in long gowns, all gentlemen in jacquet, with a service in one of Vienna's most elaborate baroque churches and a banquet at a princely palace? If this is a low key wedding, then I wonder what a high key wedding is?

For goodness sake, if there's one person who can wear what she likes on her wedding day surely it's the bride?! There is no dress code for the bride, she can wear whatever she wants!

Maxima just had the look of a rather expensively dressed panto dame. Whether she's the Queen of the Netherlands or a toilet cleaner, yesterday was not about her and she should've dressed to reflect that.

Maybe you forgot a small, but not unimportant, detail: she is not playing Queen, she IS Queen...

When I look at the rest of the ladies attending this event then Queen Máxima is just very nicely and festively dressed. All ladies looked very chic and tasteful. It is the cape which makes her outstanding and regal, but inside the Palais Liechtenstein she will have removed it and then she is just wearing a ballgown. Still a breathtaking one but we do not expect less from her, do we?

:lol:

For goodness sake, if there's one person who can wear what she likes on her wedding day surely it's the bride?! There is no dress code for the bride, she can wear whatever she wants!

Maxima just had the look of a rather expensively dressed panto dame. Whether she's the Queen of the Netherlands or a toilet cleaner, yesterday was not about her and she should've dressed to reflect that.

When her grandson William married with Catherine, the Queen of the United Kingdom of GB&I wore one of her biggest and most eyecatching giant diamond brooches, completed with stunning pearls. So, in your logic, with all that bling-bling Her Majesty took the spotlight away from the poor bride?

When a Queen is guest on your wedding, then you know that all attention will go to that royal person. Even when Máxima was all dressed dull and subdued, still all camera's would have been fired at her. After all: the only reason why we are discussing a wedding from a certain Juan and Andrea is that they are related to the Queen of the Netherlands...

Pic: Queen Elizabeth arrives for the wedding of her grandson, source: about.com.jewelry: http://0.tqn.com/d/jewelry/1/0/r/-/1/Queen-Elizabeth-at-Royal-Wedding.jpg

i agree: maxima is correctly dressed and looks amazing, the only reason she looks overdressed is because the bride looks very informal. but i'm not judging her either: it's her wedding. the only thing that is a shame is how ill fitting her wedding dress was. marrying in vienna, and being the in law of a queen, i would have thought the bride would have had better advice... :(

I think it is a symbol of how close she is to Maxima and her family.

those were my thoughts indeed. that she comes to maxima's brother's wedding is a sign of how truly bonded beatrix and maxima are...

Come on. She is not only the proud sister of the groom, she is also Her Majesty Queen Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau. She was attending a very chique wedding, all ladies were in long, all gentlemen were in jacquet.

The wedding was held at the prestigious Servites Church Mariae Verkündigung (The Annunciation of Mary), a shining example of Viennese Early Baroque. The wedding banquet was held in the Gartenpalais Liechtenstein, truly glorious surroundings. Queen Máxima has hit the right notes in these majestic surroundings. It would be "too costumey" in the Marriott Hotel in Cincinatti. Not in one of these lush palaces in the Austrian capital.

Brava, Máxima!

lucky of this pair to celebrate in Gartenpalais Liechtenstein! wow, what a place....

on that note, what does juan do in vienna? and what does his now wife do? i wonder how they met...

This is the usual afternoon/evening wedding code that we see in Europe often, but the men are in morning dress and not black tie.

I am v surprised that she has worn for the 1st time a dress of this high standard (£30k upward at a guess) to a family wedding.

so does this kind of dress fit black tie? it seems a bit much indeed for morning dress. i also think there must have been a misinterpretation of the dress code by all the guests...

yes, the dress certainly looks in the same quality range as her amazing inauguration gown (not only because they both had a cape!).

She has dressed in a memorable outfit for her brother on his wedding day - she has accorded him and his new wife the same kind of outfit she would wear to a royal wedding or her husbands coronation!! Why on Earth should she dress down for the sake of a bride? Who has ever known what the bride will wear until she arrives?! Maybe brides should dress up a bit and make as much effort as Maxima!

totally true. maxima has just showed up at her best and this honours her as much as it honours her family, and her new sister in law and her family and that's a really nice message to convey.

Wow! Maxima looked amazing and the dress was elegant on her. It reminded me of the gowns worn in the Tudor/Reinesance and Georgian periods. As others have said, perhaps Maxima's gown is a little extravegant (?) for the wedding, as the other guests are wearing simple, plain outfits. (A la the woman in front of her.)

Brava, Máxima!

Although on the other hand, I also agree with this. The wedding in itself was fairly extravagent, so perhaps her outfit was appropriate after all. Plus, as you've pointed out, Maixma is The Queen of the Netherlands, so it's understandable that she would wear a more 'noticable' gown that everyone else.

If I were a bride and my sister-in-law was a queen, I would want her to dress like a queen at the wedding! The bride was beautiful, her gown was lovely, but no matter what Maxima wears, she's still the Queen and will be a focus of attention. I'll bet the bride didn't mind one bit. And certainly the guests wouldn't mind having such a vision of royal loveliness among them. And how sweet that Beatrix attended.

There is no doubt she looks stunning but at a wedding it is for the bride to be "the one" not the new sister in law IMO .. a bit mean really .. I do love the colour on her and the cape is stunning all in all beatuiful but for another evening IMO

[...]As others have said, perhaps Maxima's gown is a little extravegant (?) for the wedding, as the other guests are wearing simple, plain outfits.

The other ladies wore no simple plain outfits. Princess Beatrix wore a beautiful black-and-white dress with train and a black lace top, Inès Zorreguieta (sister of the Queen and of the groom) wore a beautiful turquoise gown with an eyecatching necklace of turquoise-coloured semi-gemstones. María del Carmen Cerruti (mother of the Queen and of the groom) wore a fierce red gown with a big bold eeyecatching golden necklace with multi-coloured semi-gemstones. The mother of the bride wore a beautiful mauve organza gown with eyecatching bijoux as well. All guests were pretty decent: no splits showing naked legs, no showing of big boobs. The exception was the bride. Amongst all these wonderfully dressed ladies, the bride was remarkable eh... 'nude'...

so does this kind of dress fit black tie? it seems a bit much indeed for morning dress. i also think there must have been a misinterpretation of the dress code by all the guests...

All gentlemen were in jacquet. So the dresscode must have been clear. Until roughly somewhere in the 1970's this dresscode was standard at all Courts in Europe. Only the Dutch still observe it, see the annual Prinsjesdag and the Investiture last year: during daywear ladies in long and with hat.

This wedding however, started later on the day and my guess is that it advances into the evening. So the ladies wore long, with capes, stoles, wraps, etc. for the ceremony and no hats. With the afternoon advancing into the evening, the capes, stoles and wraps are removed, then all ladies are in ballgowns. The gentlemen remained dressed in jacquet. Strictly spoken they need to change in white tie or black tie. Sometimes it is logistically easier to organize it this way. When Prince Edward married Sophie Rhys-Jones, the dresscode was jacquet as well and this remained so when the wedding party advanced into the evening.

Picture: the wedding of Edward and Sophie, also here the gentlemen in jacquet and ladies in long, for an example the Queen, Princess Anne, the mother of the bride, etc. Source: gettyimages http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/52...jefXt9iqDOtYpvjpxGi+Y9z2Mk7JUnKCwICgrapXFld4=

Máxima at her brother Juan's wedding in Vienna, Austria, this afternoon, June 7:

** Full view ** Full view 2 ** Upper part **

One single word! Perfection!
She is a Queen and she paid all respects and honour to her brother, by dressing like a Queen in a royal wedding!
I would not appreciate if she was underdressed, like if her previous "world" is not good enough for her to get well dressed.
The other ladies also are in long dress, it is an elegant wedding.

When her grandson William married with Catherine, the Queen of the United Kingdom of GB&I wore one of her biggest and most eyecatching giant diamond brooches, completed with stunning pearls. So, in your logic, with all that bling-bling Her Majesty took the spotlight away from the poor bride?

When a Queen is guest on your wedding, then you know that all attention will go to that royal person. Even when Máxima was all dressed dull and subdued, still all camera's would have been fired at her. After all: the only reason why we are discussing a wedding from a certain Juan and Andrea is that they are related to the Queen of the Netherlands...

Pic: Queen Elizabeth arrives for the wedding of her grandson, source: about.com.jewelry: http://0.tqn.com/d/jewelry/1/0/r/-/1/Queen-Elizabeth-at-Royal-Wedding.jpg

You cannot compare the hugely high profile, entirely public wedding of the second in line to your own throne with the wedding of a non-royal relative in a foreign country. They are completely different things.

The Queen wore a brooch she has worn on many occasions previously. The one she chose is not a particularly special one, certainly not the most valuable by any measure. Absolutely it's on the large side and a very beautiful piece, but it's not a Cullinan brooch nor a Williamson pink diamond. She didn't go over the top in any way shape or form, evidenced by the fact that she's worn the entire outfit on several fairly routine occasions since.

Maxima should have a bit of self-awareness. I'm not suggesting she should've turned up in a burlap sack. Beatrix was beautifully dressed without making the 'look at me, aren't I fabulous!' mistake on a day that wasn't about her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom