Queen Máxima's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2013 - November 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is such a pretty summer dress and the strong shade of yellow works very well on Maxima. One of her recently best looks.

I totally agree. There's nothing not to love about this: the colour fits her tanned skin beautifully, the cut is perfect for her and she looks splendid making the most of the summer. Fantastic look as one of my favs of the queen !!

No doubt the yellow is quite deliberate. She also wore a yellow outfit during her visit to Brunei. In Malay culture, (Brunei and Malaysia), the colour yellow has special significance and is associated with royalty.

I did not know this. Thank you for the interesting tidbit. However, I'm not loving the color of the dress; it's simply too bright for my taste. The style, on the other hand, is a different story. It suits Maxima quite well.

She looks great!! AQ stunning woman. Being tall is, always, a good feature. From someone who is short.

No doubt the yellow is quite deliberate. She also wore a yellow outfit during her visit to Brunei. In Malay culture, (Brunei and Malaysia), the colour yellow has special significance and is associated with royalty.

Really? I did not know that yellow has a special meaning in the Malay culture. I remember I have seen quite a lot of bright yellow in Thailand used in secular and religious buildings.The young King of Bhutan and his wife,Jetsun Pema,also like to wear bright shades of yellow. Some pictures:
Bhutan crowns a new King - The Big Picture - Boston.com
King of Bhutan marries 21-year-old student Jetsun Pema in elaborate marriage ceremony - hellomagazine.com
In Austria the yellow colour had a negative aspect during the reign of JosephII, but today we can wear pretty much everything and people do not care much about the specific meaning of colours. Anything goes:)

Just Gorgeous Maxi!!!

Really? I did not know that yellow has a special meaning in the Malay culture. I remember I have seen quite a lot of bright yellow in Thailand used in secular and religious buildings.The young King of Bhutan and his wife,Jetsun Pema,also like to wear bright shades of yellow. Some pictures:
Bhutan crowns a new King - The Big Picture - Boston.com
King of Bhutan marries 21-year-old student Jetsun Pema in elaborate marriage ceremony - hellomagazine.com
In Austria the yellow colour had a negative aspect during the reign of JosephII, but today we can wear pretty much everything and people do not care much about the specific meaning of colours. Anything goes:)

By Malay culture, I'm referring specifically to Brunei and Malaysia, both countries are close neighbours and share a common history. If you ever pay close attention to royal events in both countries you'll notice that the royals are often dressed in yellow; the decor in their palaces also features the colour prominently.
In Malaysia the King and Queen almost always wear yellow at their coronation, openings of parliament/assemblies, weddings and other special events etc.
Yellow is also considered a prestigious colour in Chinese culture (although red is predominant as it is believed to bring good fortune and joy).

Needless to say, Maxima is no doubt aware of this significance and that is why she wore yellow in Brunei and Malaysia. (Mette-Marit also wore the colour when she visited Malaysia a few years ago).
I liked the colour both times on Maxima; I'm not squeamish about it personally and have worn quite a bit of yellow myself.
Colours do matter, even today; perhaps not to a degree they once did but they possess certain meanings for particular groups of people. Hasn't Maxima worn quite a bit of orange at home? Obviously because it has a specific meaning in a certain context.

Thanks for your input,Humera! I did not know the significance of yellow in Malay culture,so I learned something new again:) I also think that colours have a specific meaning and should therefore be used accordingly.
Q.Maxima is well aware of the specific meaning of colours, she has not only chosen Orange and yellow at the right place&time, but also the shade of her coronoation outfit had a special meaning,it is Nassau-blue,a recognition of the Oranje-Nassau-heritage of the monarchy :)
From a simple aesthetic point of view I really like strong colours on Queen Maxima, they suit her very well :flowers:

9/13/13:

Full View Upper Part

Great color, but I find the outfit overall awful. Don't like the fabric or the hat with it.

I loved this outfit the first time she wore it on a state visit. I would like to see it with a different headpiece or even a proper wide brim hat for a change.

I don't mind the color, but I dislike the fit of the dress. It is not flattering to her figure.

I like the outfit and only Maxima could look good on it

Great color, but yeah, not such a great outfit. The fabric is a bit too shiny for my taste, and the style is not the greatest either.

Idon't like the cut of the typical natan skirt in this outfit. The jewelry saves it for me!

This dress is absolutely stunning! Beautiful color and exquisite design. Not sure if I like the hat, but Maxima still looks amazing. Fanastic first Prinsjesdag outfit as Queen.

Last edited:
Her Majesty looked wonderful all apart from her hat,which from certain angles reminded me of a salad bowl in my kitchen!

Last edited by a moderator:
The hat is a mystery but I love the gown it is gorgeous...

The hat is a mystery but I love the gown it is gorgeous...

It's not a mystery at all...Ann just explained where she thinks the bowl is from so that solves that...

But then Prinsjesdag is wellknown as the day of mad hattery...I mean really MAD hattery...some of the obsticles the ladies carried around today...:whistling:

The beading on that gown is breathtaking as is Queen Maxi!! She does her country right. This is one of my favorites of the year for formal fashion. Love the Borneo diamonds as well!

It sort of reminds of a brocade bedspread, but this event calls for a brocade bedspread, and she wears it well.

I may be the only one but I actually like the hat. I prefer these big hats much more than the turbans/ floral head pieces/ pillboxes.

I don't like the combination of the Borneo golden jewelry with the golden dress. But the set itself is lovely and nice to see again.

--
The hat of Queen Máxima has been designed by Fabienne Delvigne. The material used was banana fiber. What a great day for Jan Taminiau btw, the first prinsjesdag dress of the new queen ánd the civil wedding dress for princess Claire of Luxembourg!

Last edited:
The wide hat is great and I love such hats rather than turbans and small headpieces.
I really like the dress, the diamond shapes remind me of the red evening dress by the same designer worn in Luxembourg.

Love the whole look, COLOR, simple cut and heavy drape of the skirt, with great texture and diamond motifs.The beading is superb and very regal. I would love to see it in person.
The hat is perfect, I also have a salad bowl like it as well but goes perfectly!
What is the borneo jewelry please? I can't see the jewels on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom