Queen Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 5: July 2015 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very lovely skirt and jacket which fit perfectly. Her hairdo was nice too. Would have loved a necklace or broth, something which was significant or told a Spanish and USA story

Maybe hats are a more "northern European" thing, and not so common in southern Europe. Is that the case ?
I've noticed that myself Mbruno. This tradition appears to be found in Japan and Northern Europe, while Spain and the ME kingdoms of Morocco and Jordan opt out on gloves and hats.

Someone on Order of Sartorial Splendour once explained how the wearing of hats is the source of ridicule in many parts of Spain and something you rarely see done at all.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I am very underwhelmed by the way how The Queen of Spain -for God's sake- looks during this visit. Come on, a bit more stature, a bit more decorum, is that really too much asked? Look at the complete difference in style with a colleague: see picture.

I see a nice lady, apparently from Spain, but really, would anyone have guessed it is a Queen ????

:ermm:

Sorry, but I'm not seeing what is so "queenly" looking about Maxima in that picture. Everyone has different tastes and yours clearly is not a match for Letizia. What pray tell, is lacking "decorum" in the way she is dressed.:ermm:

The rolled up sleeves really dresses the while look down and it's not a nice look IMO with such a pretty skirt.

I love the outfit. The skirt is very beautiful.

Sorry, but I'm not seeing what is so "queenly" looking about Maxima in that picture. Everyone has different tastes and yours clearly is not a match for Letizia. What pray tell, is lacking "decorum" in the way she is dressed.:ermm:

I have already explained that in a few posts furtherer after the one you quoted. Her Northern "colleague" was making exactly the same visit, on exactly the same protocollary level, to President Obama. But she knew who she is, what she represent. She looked every inch a Queen, wearing hat, gloves, tasteful diamond-and-pearls bijoux. There was no any misunderstanding. Doña Letizia wore just a summerdress and that was it. She could easily have been the tall bearded guy's assistant instead of Her Majesty The Queen of Spain. Thát is what I meant with lack of decorum and "come on... show a bit more stature!".

Máxima at the White House: see picture

Letizia at the White House: see picture

Who looks more like a royal lady indeed, dressed to the nines, to honour the importance of the occasion and the host? But never mind, I know taste is in the eye of the beholder and I think Letizia should (and can) outshine the whole bunch. Even with Zara clothes.

I have already explained that in a few posts furtherer after the one you quoted. Her Northern "colleague" was making exactly the same visit, on exactly the same protocollary level, to President Obama. But she knew who she is, what she represent. She looked every inch a Queen, wearing hat, gloves, tasteful diamond-and-pearls bijoux. There was no any misunderstanding. Doña Letizia wore just a summerdress and that was it. She could easily have been the tall bearded guy's assistant instead of Her Majesty The Queen of Spain. Thát is what I meant with lack of decorum .

Did the summer dress show anything it shouldn't have done? Was she flashing parts of her body inappropriately? If not, there was nothing lacking in "decorum" about her outfit.

I have already explained that in a few posts furtherer after the one you quoted. Her Northern "colleague" was making exactly the same visit, on exactly the same protocollary level, to President Obama. But she knew who she is, what she represent. She looked every inch a Queen, wearing hat, gloves, tasteful diamond-and-pearls bijoux. There was no any misunderstanding. Doña Letizia wore just a summerdress and that was it. She could easily have been the tall bearded guy's assistant instead of Her Majesty The Queen of Spain. Thát is what I meant with lack of decorum and "come on... show a bit more stature!".

Máxima at the White House: see picture

Letizia at the White House: see picture

Who looks more like a royal lady indeed, dressed to the nines, to honour the importance of the occasion and the host? But never mind, I know taste is in the eye of the beholder and I think Letizia should (and can) outshine the whole bunch. Even with Zara clothes.

Lovely as Maxima looked, it is very clear that ladies of the SRF do not do hats and gloves usually. IMO, there is no right or wrong in this, that is just the way it is. Neither Sophia or Letizia have been big wearers of hats or gloves. I don't quite know why, but that is what they have established for themselves. To me, it does not make them any less a Queen than any other.

On the contrary, it could be argued that a hat , in this day and age, is a complete anachronism. It serves no purpose at all.

[...] On the contrary, it could be argued that a hat , in this day and age, is a complete anachronism. It serves no purpose at all.

So no hats, gloves but also no sparkling bijoux during daywear for Queen Elizabeth II, the Duchess of Cornwall, Queen Margrethe II, Crown Princess Mary? I am so very happy that Queen Máxima gave not in to eh... "modern monarchy" and kept the tradition.

Queen Sofía wore hats as well in Spain but at some moment she apparently stopped it: see picture.

For me this trip to Letizia was a big disappointment. The wardrobe generally a great misfortune. Maybe they are trying to do something different, something more modern but it accomplishes. I can see not a queen but a wife of a president of a governor of a mayor.
And this of course is my humble personal opinion.

Last edited:
i don't get this comparison issue at all. it is generally known that spanish royal ladies rarely wear hats. what is lacking in her outfit and manners? yes her outfit is less formal and flamboyant than maxima but considering the economic status of spain, i believe the royal couple is representing their country well and proud...

I like Maxima, but in all honesty I find to be a bit "over the top" on occasion. Comparisons to the BRF are pointless as they seem to be much more conservative in their dress. As I recall Letizia rose to the occasion nicely for the pre-wedding dinner of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge ... hat included. She looked lovely. I just find Maxima a bit too flamboyant for my taste. To each his own .... I don't find the need to jump in and criticize her every time I don't like what/or how she is wearing something.

I don't think the wardrobe is a desaster but to me it looks very amateur-ish put together. A lot has to do with Letizia clinging on Varela only, who is boring and lazy, not innovative at all. His designs are often odd, copied, repetitive and old, a lot of those 'business outfits' could be worn by Letizia's mother.

There was some information that Letizia hired a stylist, a young woman with fashion background who would help with her wardrobe. But nothing has changed. Letizia still often looks like Felipe's assistant, she does recycle her outfits but often too shortly afterwards and in exactly.the.same.way. including accessories. There is no mix and match.

Letizia became much better with hairstyles and earrings, since she became Queen, still there is a lot of room for improvement on the jewellery side. We all know she's got it in her box, so wear it.

What bothers me most is that Letizia's face has become a mask, whatever she is doing to it, it makes her look like a wax figure without spontaneous emotions, its always the same supercontrolled smile pinned on her face, no matter the situation, almost unreal.

I could not have said it better. Amen und Amen und Amen.

Last edited by a moderator:
That outift works quite well for me! Gorgeous hair, smart jacket... fit for an opening of a school years. I don't mid the blouse, it looks a bit too simple but it's ok. The pants are totally inappropriate for the event... I could say that I like all, minus the pants...

So no hats, gloves but also no sparkling bijoux during daywear for Queen Elizabeth II, the Duchess of Cornwall, Queen Margrethe II, Crown Princess Mary?

That's not what I am suggesting. All I am saying is that it is up to individual royals and royal families to establish what their respective dress-codes are. IMO, there is no "one size fits all" approach that can work. What works for one family does not have to be the norm another must adopt.

I am not suggesting that Letizia is always appropriately turned out. I do believe there are times (usually military themed events) when Letizia is underdressed, and could be more formally dressed.

Simple and nice outfit for this event but could avoid these pants. Spoils the whole set.

Simple and nice outfit for this event but could avoid these pants. Spoils the whole set.
I don't think the pants are sparkling. They appears to be speckled. I actually like the whole outfit when shown up-close.

Nice and simple outfit and perfect for the occassion and Letizia looks quite relaxed despite having travelled back from the USA over the weekend!

She looks great. I love the jacket.

I don't think the pants are sparkling. They appears to be speckled. I actually like the whole outfit when shown up-close.

Definitely not glitter or sparkle....looks like a tweedy sort of fabric to me.

Her latest outfit is a knockout! I'm obsessed with her hair!

i love this CH outfit - the skirt is just divine. I don't mind the rolled up sleeves as they work fine with the pretty flower details on the skirt. She can continue to repeat this as much as she wants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom