Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie's Fashion and Style Part 1: January 2007 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lady_windsor

Courtier
City
Den Haag
Country
Netherlands
I feel that many people have an opinion about the Styles of these young princesses. I hope that we can discuss this on this thread..

During a recent shopping spree with my mother, i came up with my own theory about the princesses style (or to some people lack of it) I suddenly realised that the job of my mother was not to help me pick the trendiest clothes (although that would help), but to help me decide id something actually looked good or not (many people wont be totally honest with you). Anyway, I think that Sarah's desire for her girls to be trendiest is very evident. Perhaps, she wants them to be treny too much. This comes into conflict when she helps them decide what to wear. I think that Sarah rather than looking at how it looks on her daughters, would prefer to see them in the trendier option. (I have a few examples but i dont know how to post picture) I have noted on countless occassions that Beatrice always wears 'what all the fashion magazines suggests are 'hot' that season' however, she (especially eugenie) have got to realise that they have to find trends that suit them personally as they are not the skinny thin models they see advertising these clothes. This is my conclusion. I wonder what you think?

I agree to some extent. Sara also is not known for her fashion sense! The gown Beatrice wore to a recent event (lavender and white scarves sewn together) was a disaster. I wonder though if it really is Sara who is deciding on the clothing. Though they are close, I don't know too many teens who let their mommies pick their clothes. As far as trendy- I am sometimes shocked at the outfits the princesses pick. They are princesses and their clothing should reflect their status. When they show a bit too much cleavage or pose in their underwear they cheapen their image.

lady_windsor said:
(many people wont be totally honest with you). Anyway, I think that Sarah's desire for her girls to be trendiest is very evident. Perhaps, she wants them to be treny too much. This comes into conflict when she helps them decide what to wear. I think that Sarah rather than looking at how it looks on her daughters, would prefer to see them in the trendier option.

I couldn't agree with you more, Lady Windsor. While the York princesses are not ugly girls, it is a shame that they consistently present themselves (on their own or on the advice of others) in the least flattering style. I can't believe that they are so unintelligent as to think that what a model in a magazine is wearing would look the same on them. I can only believe that they are either too gullible and listen to people who don't recognize their responsibilities as a friend and are honest. If I was in their circle of confidants, I would tell them that I loved them for who they were, thought they were beautiful and unfortunately the way they dress distracts others from seeing that beauty. My solution? Some brutal honesty about body types and how to deal with that (a treadmill, girdle, and the right bra come to mind), a periodic review by people who have nothing to gain by being their friend on their clothing selection, and for each of them - a hairbrush available at all times. Many folks on these threads take issue with CP Victoria of Sweden's ponytail, but at least it is done and consistent. She doesn't have that unkempt, uncombed, ratty look of some tart who just took a tumble at the Beefeaters guard house.

Of course, they may actually think they look great. If that is the case, I guess it's a good thing there are four people ahead of them in the line of succession (the madness of the York princesses)!

Mapper

I'm going to set aside my pre-judgement of Princess Beatrice's and Princess Eugenie's fashion sense.

These young ladies are still finding their sense of style. Thus they are both experimenting with different cuts, designs, fabrics, and so forth.

When I was their age, I made many fashion faux pas'. Today, I know which designer(s) work with my body type, cut, overall style, etc.

Fashion is supposed to be fun. One should never take it too seriously; at their age they should make mistakes. Better now than later.

:)

GlitteringTiaras said:
I'm going to set aside my pre-judgement of Princess Beatrice's and Princess Eugenie's fashion sense.

These young ladies are still finding their sense of style. Thus they are both experimenting with different cuts, designs, fabrics, and so forth.

When I was their age, I made many fashion faux pas'. Today, I know which designer(s) work with my body type, cut, overall style, etc.

Fashion is supposed to be fun. One should never take it too seriously; at their age they should make mistakes. Better now than later.

:)

I agree. They're still young and probably trying to figure out what works best with them and what they like and so forth. As for image, I think the princesses ~ by NOT being anorexic thin ~ represent more the "regular" young woman than actresses or models. The York girls have real bodies and I think they are both beautiful. I think that no matter what these girls do and how they dress, they will be judged in one way or another. If they were bone-thin and dressed from head to toe in gorgeous designer duds, hanging out a nightclubs and living that "model" lifestyle, we'd all be commenting on how thin they are, how wild they are, how they spend too much $$$ on designer clothing, etc. As I've said before, they're teenagers and they've made fashion mistakes ~ like all of us. So what?

Too often the clothes and hats are wearing them instead of the other way around. My pet hate are the hair pieces they constantly wear. Now these can look very elegant if a girl's hair is properly groomed, especially, in the case of the more elaborate one's, if it is upswept but they almost always wear their hair down and the hats are usually at the wrong angle and they just end up looking untidy. On top of that Eugenie's hair often looks very dry and wispy.

Bella said:
As for image, I think the princesses ~ by NOT being anorexic thin ~ represent more the "regular" young woman than actresses or models. The York girls have real bodies and I think they are both beautiful. I think that no matter what these girls do and how they dress, they will be judged in one way or another.

I actually agree with you, Bella. I think the "normal" young women of today are actually more prisoners of body image and tend to be too thin. I also agree that they will be judged one way or another. I just think that at this point they are both old enough to recognize the impact they could have on young women and their views of themselves. I think that most of the time they are either in ill-fitting garments (that make them look flabby and much heavier than they really are) or they are dressed in outfits that are too mature and make them look dowdy, frumpy, or matronly. I certainly wouldn't want them to dress or behave like the worst examples of young women (Paris Hilton, et.al.) but I believe both girls have the potential to be stylish AND dress appropriately for their ages and body types. Then more young women can see that girls their age and with similar bodies can select flattering, young, fresh clothing for themselves. Even beyond all the discussion on clothing/body types - can we just get them to run a comb through their hair before they leave the palace?

Mapper

personally, I think that for the most part, these 2 girls in particular, are left to their own vices when it comes to shopping. They have no guidance. They are probably surrounded by people who are afraid to tell them that something looks bad on them, or shop keepers who will say anything to make the sale. Designer or not. Unless they have some really good friends, and I mean really good friends, who are not afraid to say something negative to them or hurt their feelings, they probably have girls around them that pretend to be their friends and will purposly tell them that something looks great on them just to have them buy it and go out looking like crap.
I also think that Sarah does have some influence on them, but not a lot since she always seems to be traveling with out them. And when she does see them in thier clothing/dress/formal wear, I think she likes what she sees, but she does not take into accord if it flatters her daughters or not. To her, pretty is pretty. Does that make sense?
In either case, I think these girls are pretty much left to their own vices, and until thier bodies stop changing and growing, and they pretty much find their own style and not copy what they see in the glossies and runways, a lot of mistakes will continue to be made.
I mean heck, I did not find my own particular style until I was in my mid 20's. Until then, I was stuffing my body into things that were trendy and not flattering at all. But I thought I looked good!:rolleyes: And nobody told me any different.

I think that both Eugenie and Beatrice are fashionable girls like many other royal or commoner girls. About princesses styles - they have a way to find it.

They need good fashion adviser or someone like that.

Last edited:
Too bad they don't have Diana round to help them:sad: I do agree though they are young and may not find their personal style for years.

I think they are caught at a weird age between what is fashionable for teenagers and what they are expected to wear as Princesses, I mean how many teenage girls even wear hats. I can't really think of anyone else that would be expected to dress like them, the Swedish princesses are older, and the only one that is close to there age that I can think of is Marie Laura of Belgium, but that family seems to have more of a relaxed dress code. (I can't ever remember seeing her in a hat), other than Alexandra of Luxembourg they are not alot of teengage princesses.

Other young women in the family also have to dress formally with hats at things like Trooping the Colour and have managed to look good. If you look at pictures of Ella Windsor, for example, or her cousin Helen from when they were around 16 to just now they have almost always looked good. I think you've either got it or you've not.

angela said:
Other young women in the family also have to dress formally with hats at things like Trooping the Colour and have managed to look good. If you look at pictures of Ella Windsor, for example, or her cousin Helen from when they were around 16 to just now they have almost always looked good. I think you've either got it or you've not.

An excellent point! Ella always looks smashing! But I think she and her mother frequent haute couture houses and let themselves be guided by those in the industry. The fact that Ella and Helen have great figures and are gorgeous doesn't hurt either. Their mother's are also very elegant and classy women who rarely, if ever, slip up in the fashion dept.

Please let's stay on topic - the styles of Beatrice and Eugenie.

Mandy

i think they two young princess's have a great sense of fashion. they might be dressing a bit older than their age but they are part of the royal family so imo i think that is okay. Also, they are growing up fast & therefore they are still searching of what suits them.Thay acessories their outfits really well, they wear some cute hats. Ive not seen them in anything that i would look at and say "that is was too old or defnetly not appropriate"

Ive posted some pictures of different style of the princess's incase your not familiar.
Princess Eugenie and Beatrice -The Royal family at Christmas day church service, Sandringham, Britain - 25 Dec 2006
Princess Eugenie - a picture of a hat, very much her age. i find it very fun
both sisters in black & white, a very relaxed casuall look - picture
and in evening dresses, simple and age appropriate imo, at Queen Elizabeth II's 80th Birthday Party, The Ritz Hotel, London, Britain - 05 Dec 2006 - picture
a very summer outfit, great pick for the Royal Summer Holiday Cruise of the Western Isles On the 'Hebridean Princess', Port Ellen, Islay, Scotland, Britain - 24 Jul 2006 - picture

Last edited:
I thought Fergie dressed them very tacky when they were little. The poor girls have not had a chance to develop a good sense of style

almab said:
I thought Fergie dressed them very tacky when they were little. The poor girls have not had a chance to develop a good sense of style

when the girls were little, Fergie herslef did not have any style herself. She has changed and i guess gotten help or tips from people and now passed it on to her daughters. They have improved

hello, post pics from the girls, they are groing and their sense of style to. they have wonderfull hats and shoes... post pics

they do seem to be aware of the latest fashion styles and trends, but do you think that they dress better causuly or more formally clothed?

Why is EVERYBODY branded a fashion icon?

I haven't liked too many of her ensembles, either.

And my guess is... that, like Edward, she's going to be seen as having dubious talent and cashing in on her royal title and connections. Even Linley, who seems to have talent, has been accused of that (and worse).

Considering their ages, I'll give these young princesses a break. Looking back at Princesses Martha-Louise, Elena, Christina, during their teens and early twenties they were still finding their own style as well. Now, each of them have a unique fashion sense that suits them well. Perhaps, Lady Helen Taylor and Lady Sarah Chatto could be called in for a shopping trip.;) (IMO, they are consistently well-dressed.)

HMMMM. Princess Beatrice is going to design clothes but has not taken any fashion design classes? There is more to it than sewing. Maybe she'll do well--who knows? But, as for their fashion style--they would look better in some more classic pieces, streamlined, etc....and throw the trendy into the look in small ways. Also, their clothes are not always flattering to their figures. They are beautiful girls--really stunning actually, but their clothes.......not so great.

both need a fashion stylist asap but then if they take a lead from their mother then it isnt surprising that they dress the way they do

daily mail news that bea is to become a fashion stylist :eek: - heaven help the world it made me laugh :lol::lol::lol::lol:

HMMMM. Princess Beatrice is going to design clothes but has not taken any fashion design classes? There is more to it than sewing.
I agree..it has been suggested that she may be using her royal status for her advantage (which is not necessarily a bad thing) what do you think?

Maybe if they change a bit! Hair style, lose some weight and have a fashion adviser! I think that will make a big difference!

Out of interest, which celebrity or style icon do you think would be a good role model for Princess Beatrice and Eugenie..i think that because a lot of people in the media eye all have perfect bodies, people think if they can copy their dressing, they may also look as good, not realising that they need to adapt the styles to fit with their own characters...what do you guys think?

Maybe if they change a bit! Hair style, lose some weight and have a fashion adviser! I think that will make a big difference!

Why everyone is so complicated in weight things.
Have everyone to be super thin???

Look at Letizia, she is so thin, it hurts somethimes looking at her....

Must humans be thin to be beautiful? Not that i think they are beautiful. But it´s the prinzip.

Thin is not the answer. They need clothes that fit properly and enhance their look. They wear ill fitting, poorly styled clothes. They are often too short and too tight. Their hats are atrocious and very unbecomeing to them. They have beautiful hair and a nice looking, not great beauties, but that is not important. They could look a whole lot better, if someone with taste and style dressed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom