Princess Sofia's Fashion & Style, Part 1: June 2015 - May 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pictures of tonights evening dinner:

why are victoria and the queen in long dresses and sofia is in a short cocktail dress? did no one warn her that this evening reception needed long dress?

APA-PictureDesk

You are right, she should have been in a long dress.

pictures of tonights evening dinner:

why are victoria and the queen in long dresses and sofia is in a short cocktail dress? did no one warn her that this evening reception needed long dress?

APA-PictureDesk

Victoria has been in a cocktail dress on earlier Sweden dinners.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Yeah I don't see what the big deal is. Now days people wear short and long both to formal events.

LaRae

IIRC in the past years Victoria has always worn cocktail dresses, while the queen preferred long dresses... So I don't see anything wrong with the lenght... I don't like the color... it is rather meh if you ask me!

For once I don't like something Sofia wears. The colour is nice, but that's about it I'm afraid. I respectfully disagree that the colour doesn't suit her, though I do think the design is odd.

The color is not bad at all on Sofia but it looks a bit too casual for a dinner and especially along the other royal ladies. The dress is knitted, more ideal for a daytime event.

The color is okay, but it's not a model that fits her very well. For so many reasons, both Sofia and Silvia are not the ladies that glow the most.. :)

The color is not bad at all on Sofia but it looks a bit too casual for a dinner and especially along the other royal ladies. The dress is knitted, more ideal for a daytime event.

I agree. This gown is to casual for the event. If she wanted to wear a cocktail dress she should have picked one that looked more dressy. It's a shame because generally speaking I like Sofia's style.

Hmm. Not entirely sure about this one, but that's more because I don't like it than because I don't think it's appropriate for a black tie event.

Black tie covers a wide range for women, and in my opinion that dress is too dressy for daytime wear and that it's OK for this sort of event. Borderline OK, maybe, but still OK.

It would have perhaps looked more dressy if there was a gold thread woven through the fabric/yarn.

:previous: I totally agree with you, which begs the question, did she purposely dress down, almost boring, so as not to detract from Victoria and Daniel's first engagement after "the great announcement"?

Since she has been pretty consistently on the mark, I am going to go with that theory. It's a nice one. :flowers:

I think it looks nice on her.

LaRae

OK. I am not happy with her Outfit either.
This Dress Looks like an afternoon Dress for me. If it is not Long anyway (which in my eyes was a mistake, why not asking SIL and MIL whether they are dressed Long or short????) , then it would have been better, if the Dress is either a "small black one" or added with some sort of glitter, to Highlight the evening.
Bye Bine

OK. I am not happy with her Outfit either.
This Dress Looks like an afternoon Dress for me. If it is not Long anyway (which in my eyes was a mistake, why not asking SIL and MIL whether they are dressed Long or short????) , then it would have been better, if the Dress is either a "small black one" or added with some sort of glitter, to Highlight the evening.
Bye Bine
I can agree on it not being very "fancy". But she probably DID ask (or was told). Victoria have earlier years worn short while Silvia wore long. The invitation says both long or short are appropriate so someone said it might be a kind way for the guests to have at least one of the royals dressed in a short dress as well.

:previous: Interesting point. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a decision made for one of the royal ladies to do this so that ladies who wore short dresses would feel comfortable, and for the royal lady to dress "down" to be the most recent comer.

Well it is apparently ok to wear stockings with open toe sandles if there is no toe seam. Fashion rules change so often it gets crazy . Frankly, I think women should wear what we are comfortable in.
Thank you. Lets not join the having a go over at another woman for what she is wearing. We all have our off days.

I think Princess Sofia looks very good. It is not my favourite colour on her but it could be the lighting or background.

I think cocktail length if fine and also think the dress is flattering. Well since we so often trash her choices in long dress, maybe she decided to not re-wear any of her long choices. ;)

It would be nice to see more shots of the crowd - to see if most people wore long or cocktail length. I know I hate it when I choose long and the crowd wears cocktail. Even worse is when one chooses a long dress and the room is overly hot; I always sit there smiling but fuming that I made bad choice. :lol:

Yeah I don't see what the big deal is. Now days people wear short and long both to formal events.

LaRae

Yes, you are correct, plus I am sure that Queen OKed for event. Personally I think she looked almost too young and innocent against the other members, which is maybe the effect she was after. Playing low key is not a bad thing. Would have loved a pastel color though. She will be creating her own personal look now and it will be interesting to watch. I will enjoy the process [we all went through it].

:previous: Interesting point. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a decision made for one of the royal ladies to do this so that ladies who wore short dresses would feel comfortable, and for the royal lady to dress "down" to be the most recent comer.

The reason for a royal lady at the Sweden dinner to wear a short dress is just that: to make those ladies who come with short dresses to feel themselves comfortable. The dress code at the invitation is "Smoking/mörk kostym" = Black tie/Dark suit.
In 2013 and 2014 Victoria wore the short dress:
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

And this year, obviously because Sofia is the lowest in rank, she wore a short dress. I think that if Madeleine would have been there, she would have had a short dress too.

I think cocktail length if fine and also think the dress is flattering. Well since we so often trash her choices in long dress, maybe she decided to not re-wear any of her long choices. ;)

It would be nice to see more shots of the crowd - to see if most people wore long or cocktail length. I know I hate it when I choose long and the crowd wears cocktail. Even worse is when one chooses a long dress and the room is overly hot; I always sit there smiling but fuming that I made bad choice. :lol:
Here is a group of guests, two women are having a short dress and one long.
Instagram photo by @pdpierre | Iconosquare

The reason for a royal lady at the Sweden dinner to wear a short dress is just that: to make those ladies who come with short dresses to feel themselves comfortable. The dress code at the invitation is "Smoking/mörk kostym" = Black tie/Dark suit.
(snip)
And this year, obviously because Sofia is the lowest in rank, she wore a short dress. I think that if Madeleine would have been there, she would have had a short dress too.

Thank you for that information, LadyFinn. If the dress code was Black tie/Dark Suit, then short dresses for ladies that were at the less fancy end of the cocktail dress spectrum were perfectly fine.

How awful it is to turn up to an event and wonder if you are wearing the right sort of dress. Of-course, Princess Sofia will know in advance what should be worn and what should not, so if she chooses a short dress, it must be ok to wear it.

But I like the idea that there is a particular reason for it - to make other guests in cocktail dresses feel more comfortable. I hope we all do this from time to time.

I have agree with you on that point Jack, it is a very nice gesture for the Swedish Royals to be aware that not everyone can afford to splash out on a long evening gown they would probably have no chance of re-using, and make it a non-event with the long/short option.

I will however, have to agree with Duc:
I agree. She is HRH Princess Sofia of Sweden, Duchess of Värmland. Stop with that schoolgirlie hair.
Yes indeed, not a good look on a grown woman and it's not something that she used to do a lot. Perhaps having a hairdresser makes the difference, but to me it made the dress, actually the whole 'look', a lot less elegant.

All in all, I would have preferred the far more elegant updo styles she has spoilt us with:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/08/27/12/2BAFAACD00000578-3212787-image-m-8_1440676035559.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XGycTjoZU...bI/HNw9Zv4VOdw/s595/Carl-Philip-and-Sofia.jpg

There are more charming pictures of Sofia at this event but this one will do. :flowers: She looks lovely.

The dress is fine imo. In fact, I find it interesting. There is a unique layer of material across the middle. Interesting style. :flowers:

I also like the way she has lightened her hair. The hair style suits her, too, in her new role. More relaxed. She is not competing with the other women (if she ever would, which I am starting to see is not really what she is about). All-in-all, Sofia is developing a nice affect (or public persona) as Princess Sofia. JMO.

Last edited:
She is not competing with the other women (if she ever would, which I am starting to see is not really what she is about). All-in-all, Sofia is developing a nice affect (or public persona) as Princess Sofia. JMO.

I agree completely. In fact in his wedding toast to Sofia CP talked about her 'courage to be herself'. I am so waiting for pictures/news of her first international event this week in Africa.

In the close up picture the dress looks red but in other postings it looks rust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long or short never mind just dont flattering on Sofia at all.

She's done well. She looks the part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom